Answered

Arc TV sound cuts in and out.

Userlevel 2

Just got the Arc and have it paired with 2 Play:1’s and a gen 3 sub. 
Samsung Q80R tv. 

The sound from the tv will play for around 5 seconds and then cut out for around 1 second, play for 5, out for 1, on and on. 

I’ve swapped out the hdmi cable twice, tried unplugging the tv, switched between PCM and DD+ and switched between different apps on the tv. 

The sonos app shows that I am getting an atmos signal  

Was running a beam with the Play:1’s (but no sub) before just fine.

Not sure what I should try next.

Thank you,

mike

icon

Best answer by Corry P 9 March 2021, 17:51

View original

748 replies

Just purchased the 2020 Sony X900H 85” for our media room. Paired it with the Arc and Sub (gen3). While watching a movie, or show, the sound drops intermittently - the rest of the family doesn’t notice it that much, but it is annoying the heck out of me.

Not sure what to do - getting frustrated, and close to returning the Arc and Sub.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Latest research my end:

S2

Arc

eArc

Sony 65 X950G (2019)

Auto 1

My sound cuts out when using Tidal app and streaming Dolby Atmos content and returning to other Apps like Netflix, YouTube, etc. 

Switching to Auto 2 fixes the sound. But I’d rather not switch back and forth. Rebooting also fixes it. Then I can switch back to Auto 1. 

Still not sure if this is a Sonos problem or a Sony problem. I will be reporting in this in detail in our upcoming three month follow up review. 

Other than this nonsense, the Arc is a superior product. 

I was having the same problem with a Samsung TU8000 and fixed it by going into the audio expert settings and disabling then re-enabling the Dolby Atmos Compatibility feature. Didn’t have to disconnect the hdmi and the problem appears to be fixed for now.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I wonder if anyone has a 2019/20 Sony fix? The problem’s obviously widespread. Thx 

I wonder if anyone has a 2019/20 Sony fix? The problem’s obviously widespread. Thx 

No - I have the 2020 X900H and it is not solved.

Same here, but on my x900h I set HDMI 3 option to "enhanced Format" in the HDMI signal format settings and replaced the OEM HDMI cord with a higher end 8k compatible cord and the issue is pretty much gone. I only heard it twice during Hamilton on Disney+, no way else. It's been good for about a month now.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I have Samsung 65” q80t, Arc, sub gen2 and 2 one gen1. Same issue her. Sound on and off, with 5 sec intervals. Unplugged all, and problem solved for now, but this needs a permeant fix from Sonos. Have had the same setup with playbar, and never had any issues, so this is disappointing. 

Same here, but on my x900h I set HDMI 3 option to "enhanced Format" in the HDMI signal format settings and replaced the OEM HDMI cord with a higher end 8k compatible cord and the issue is pretty much gone. I only heard it twice during Hamilton on Disney+, no way else. It's been good for about a month now.

Hamilton on Disney+ was the worse offender for me… so bad, that I turned it off. Hopefully things will be resolved by beginning of next month when Mulan is released.

Badge

Hamilton on Disney+ was the worse offender for me… so bad, that I turned it off. Hopefully things will be resolved by beginning of next month when Mulan is released.

Not sure if other Sony owners saw my recent post, but I was having similar problems on my X950G and decided to bypass the native TV streaming apps with a Roku Ultra. Haven't had a single dropout in over a week. I know it's not the exact same model but might be worth a try.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Aug 16, 2020 update

Seems to be getting worse, or at least feels that way. Happens daily, and randomly, even when in apps (ie sound disappears between YouTube videos), not after switching apps—though, that happens, too! 

Sound returns when Sony X950G rebooted or switching from Auto 1 to Auto 2. 

These are no solutions, Sonos or Sony, or whoever’s fault it is. 

Badge +1

@audiophilia . It’s a known issue. What version of firmware do you have ? Disable the Enhanced Format option of the HDMI ARC and turn off eARC.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/i6sbae/sonos_arc_with_sony_x950g_drops_sound/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

https://www.reddit.com/r/bravia/comments/hqzli4/new_x950g_firmware_v63632/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

https://www.reddit.com/r/bravia/comments/i2qwwk/x950g_and_htz9f_sound_dropout_issues_using/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

https://www.reddit.com/r/bravia/comments/i7tuq0/x950h_paired_with_htz9f/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

I just bought the Sonos arc yesterday and the sound keeps cutting in and out. I have already disconnected the power and HDMI from both ends. Diagnostic code is 1192403593.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @chdpowell, thank you for reaching out, and thank you for getting our attention to this.

I checked the diagnostic, it’s the same error I’ve been seeing from the diagnostics from the others.

Currently, this issue is widespread, it’s been reported and it’s under investigation.

There’s no current time table for a solution at the moment; however, once a solution is rolled out we’ll have an announcement here in the Community.

Either in the main page of the Community forums or in the large threads about the issue.

In the meantime, I would like you to test if the Optical connection is more stable. 

Because we want to provide the best experience until the issue is resolved.

Everyone, you can report the issue with our Phone support for your specific TV model for our engineers to look into as well.

1 800 680 2345 Monday to Friday from 10 am to 9 pm ET.

We also have phone support phone numbers for other countries in our Support Website.

We apologize for the inconvenience the issue has caused and thank you for your patience.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Badge +1

@Kyle A I hope Sonos will fix this issue. I don’t buy the Arc because of that issue. I have a Sony XBR55X950G. Some people think it’s related to eARC and turning it off solves the issue. Have you been able to reproduce it ?

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @method_ben, yes, hopefully, our engineers find a solution to this issue.

Turning off the eARC? will depend on the TV to have this setting. 

However, without eARC, the Sonos Arc won’t be able to receive Dolby TrueHD and only get up to Dolby Digital +. 

Listen to Dolby Atmos on Sonos Arc

Disabling the eARC isn’t a good solution in my opinion; because the Sonos Arc is advertised to support eARC and Dolby Atmos.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi @method_ben, yes, hopefully, our engineers find a solution to this issue.

Turning off the eARC? will depend on the TV to have this setting. 

However, without eARC, the Sonos Arc won’t be able to receive Dolby TrueHD and only get up to Dolby Digital +. 

Listen to Dolby Atmos on Sonos Arc

Disabling the eARC isn’t a good solution in my opinion; because the Sonos Arc is advertised to support eARC and Dolby Atmos.

Hi

Im not sure if my issue is the same but I also have audio dropping out with my LG CX.

I experience a complete connection loss between the Sonos ARC and my TV. 

This can happen when I switch from say hdmi 1 (xbox) back to the TV tuner, no sound due to the connection dropping.

Or when I exit an internal app like netflix back to the TV tuner the connection will be lost.

I can fix it a few ways, turning off and on eARC setting on TV to get the connection back or switch to a different hdmi port and back to TV tuner.

Another time I lose the connection although doesn't happen quite as often is when I turn my TV on and 10 seconds later the audio will just drop altogether (connection lost again), fixes above sort it out.

Unsure if this is the LG TV issue or Sonos ARC, in any case I really want it fixed.

I can tell its the connection that is lost, as pressing the volume up down, the TV volume bar displays but on the Sonos ARC the white light does not flash with the button presses.

Badge +1

@Kyle A  I hope you will find a solution soon. People has started to complaint in their reviews.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @method_ben, thank you for the heads up.

I agree, hope our engineers find a solution soon.

Regarding the complaints, there’s not much we can do other than wait for a bug fix or update from our engineers.

Taking the return option is available to all; as long as it hasn’t passed the 45 day period. 

We’ll keep a close eye on this topic and we’ll notify if there’s an update

For now, we wait patiently for any news on this internally.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @method_ben, thank you for the heads up.

I agree, hope our engineers find a solution soon.

Regarding the complaints, there’s not much we can do other than wait for a bug fix or update from our engineers.

Taking the return option is available to all; as long as it hasn’t passed the 45 day period. 

We’ll keep a close eye on this topic and we’ll notify if there’s an update

For now, we wait patiently for any news on this internally.

Is this 12.0.5 update the fix for the Arc audio problem?

Unplugging and re-plugging solved the immediate issue, but this seems to be a common issue.  I have a brand new Samsung Q90 and a brand new Sonos Arc and this started within 3 weeks of having it.  With all the complaints isn’t there a hardware/firmware upgrade that Sonos can do to correct this for users?  This is my first experience with Sonos and I must admit I’m disappointed with this type of issue.  I hope they’ll correct the problem, esp. for all those souls who don’t know how to get on a community blog and learn how others have found a way to at least get a temporary fix.   

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Unplugging and re-plugging solved the immediate issue, but this seems to be a common issue.  I have a brand new Samsung Q90 and a brand new Sonos Arc and this started within 3 weeks of having it.  With all the complaints isn’t there a hardware/firmware upgrade that Sonos can do to correct this for users?  This is my first experience with Sonos and I must admit I’m disappointed with this type of issue.  I hope they’ll correct the problem, esp. for all those souls who don’t know how to get on a community blog and learn how others have found a way to at least get a temporary fix.   

Did you do the new upgrade 12.0.5 that came out today?

I did that.  But it had no affect, although I did not (knowingly) re-boot/re-start the system after that update.

I’m also getting the same issue intermittently, I’ve switched cables, plugged in numerous times, and still get the same problem. 

Samehere. I unpluged everything and stil geting the samething. 

Badge +1

@Kyle A Same question as @Dogdad : Is this 12.0.5 update the fix for the Arc audio problem?

Not that I can tell.  I updated with it and it didn’t change anything.  However, I don’t know if the update required the system to reboot or not.  I subsequently unplugged the system and replugged it in and it started working normally again.  I don’t think this update had anything to do with this issue, but Sonos needs to answer that.