Answered

Arc TV sound cuts in and out.

Show first post

751 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Its only related to my tv and eARC. And its been there a long time. My audio drops completly when switching source - native appe, tv tuner and Apple tv 4K.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Sony XBR-77A9G Arc, Sub, Surrounds.

Wishing I knew about this before spending nearly 2K

Sound cuts out and then the regular tv speaker won't work either.

Any hints of a fix anyone?

Have you seen the Sony update? V6.4960 update. I had the same issue as you . Not everyone is getting the update at the same time nor is it for every tv model. Notice the yellow highlight area at bottom.

Just purchased the 2020 Sony X900H 85” for our media room. Paired it with the Arc and Sub (gen3). While watching a movie, or show, the sound drops intermittently - the rest of the family doesn’t notice it that much, but it is annoying the heck out of me.

Not sure what to do - getting frustrated, and close to returning the Arc and Sub.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@David_367, I upgraded to 1402 but have not had a chance to test out yet.  I assume 1402 and 1402.1 is the same, on my TV it says 1402 (not 1402.1).  Very disappointing that your problem has gotten worse.

@Krishma M  - wasn’t the updated firmware for Samsung supposed to fix this?

@dk3 I’m not sure if its the same or not, but you can confirm the subversion under Support - About TV.  Main software update will just say 1402.

Badge

I had posted earlier in this thread regarding the same issue, have then gone a long period without an issue but it came back and looks to be due to the power cable being a poor fit, the slightest knock and either sound becomes  intermittent or there is no sound at all as it pops fully out 

There is already a different thread about this (arc loose power cable), may not be the issue causing intermittent sound for others in this thread, but it is for me

Badge +1

I’ve been having the problem since October and am connecting it to an LG TV. If e-arc is turned on for the TV, it drops audio frequently. If I turn it off, where the drops for e-arc takes place, you hear a kind of stuttering effect. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

OK. I take it back. Just changed channels on YoutubeTV (between the Giants/Eagles and the Masters) and sound dropped out. So not quite there yet . . .

Userlevel 1

I couldn’t agree more Bruce, thanks for the advice and time though 👍🏻

Badge +1

Seems to be the same issue I am having with my LG OLED, randomly the arc will drop connection, return to TV speakers and then the arc will come back on, annoying AF !!

I have an LG OLED65C97LA. The Sonos Arc works as expected. No audio dropouts at all.

Regards Hoppel

Badge +1

@Kyle A  I hope you will find a solution soon. People has started to complaint in their reviews.

Been having the sound cuts problem for months now… AND i asked the SONOS manager to apply the new patch, the new update for sonos ARC. And it WORKSSSSssss!! No more problem with Disney, Apple plus, Fibe, Crave, Etc... it was def a problemwith SONOS…

btw my tv is Sony x950h. 

Talked too fast. Worked well yesterday, but still having the cuts on Crave… ☹️

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @hi-tone 

Hi @Corry P,

As you know, a lot of people is reporting issues when connected to a streaming box. I, myself have an Apple TV4K and is experiencing that sound skip every 10-15 minutes for a few seconds. This only happens with Dolby Atmos.

1. Do you know if Samsung is passing through Uncompressed LPCM to the ARC?

No, this would depend on the content and the settings on your TV and Apple TV. If you get in touch with our technical support team, they have the tools to see what codec is used. However, if you are receiving LPCM, you wouldn’t get an Atmos indicator in the Now Playing screen of the Sonos app. If you’re receiving 7.1 LPCM, this is not currently supported but may play with some irregularities.

1. Is there somehow I can check the RAW signal coming from the Samsung TV or a the ARC input, before it is recognised as Dolby Atmos?

If this is in reference to my previous statement:

I assume the quiet Netflix logo is due to devices (presumably the Arc, but maybe the TV too) determining what kind of stream is being played at the start - if sound is played before it’s understood what format it’s in, you get some very nasty noises.

then I think you misunderstood. If an audio device is presented with a digital stream that’s live, as in the stream was happening before the device started listening, then the device must wait for the audio equivalent of a keyframe to determine what compression (if any) is used and apply the correct decompression algorithm in order to get audio. If the device assumes that it’s (L)PCM when it’s not, then it routes the feed directly to it’s DAC (Digitial to Analogue Converter) and you get a noise just like playing a data CD in an audio CD player.

If you actually want to inspect the stream before it reaches the Arc, I would assume that there’s some kind of profession kit that would do such a thing, but it is beyond my ken.

3. Will you care to explain in technical details, the issue you saw with the Samsung TV’s.?

As far as I am aware, the TVs were operating slightly outside of HDMI compliance but we were also being unnecessarily strict with our need for said compliance. This resulted in frequent audio drops that would stop for a day or two after a reboot of either the Arc or TV. A combination of a Samsung firmware update and an automatic disabling of the screensaver (the one you see if you switch the TV input to the Arc’s HDMI connection) on the Arc when it detects a Samsung TV has resolved the issue. The second issue was that people reported no audio when the eARC setting was enabled on the TVs. This was also fixed in the firmware update.

Ok all

i have managed to download the new firmware for my Sony TV and have to say was quite easy to transfer from a flash disc and update myself. The new Sony setup seemed to focus more on E Arc prompting set up and testing of the sound bar. So far so good and it also sorted out controlling Sky from HDMI (which I could do before but that would drop too) so hopefully both issues sorted.

will keep you posted.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/downloads/00017075

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I recently went through the trouble of updating the software on my 2020 Samsung Q80T to 1460 (not sure why but only available as a download to a USB stick). Seems to have made the problem worse. Changing channels on YoutubeTV drops sound. I doesn't come back unless I either change the audio source on the TV and then change it back to the Arc, or change channels and change back (this sometimes works but not always). So Samsung does not seem to have fixed the problem yet, and haven’t seen a Sonos software update is quite a while, leading me to think that Sonos has taken the position that its not their problem. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

I constantly have an issue where my sonos arc stops producing sound. This usually happens when I switch apps, inputs or sometimes even after a youtube ad. Restart or switching back and forth between inputs again usually solves it but wondering if this is a known issues with the CX?

Yes, same issues here, Ive also heard in the past from others with similar issues, where the problem lies is anyones guess, I would presume its just flakey eARC on the CX or Sonos. 

I’m here 5-6 months down the line still waiting for a fix. Pretty shocking.

I should have returned the products earlier but I held out in hope Sonos/LG would find a solution.

Hi all,

Here the same issue Sonos arc + Samsung the frame. Only way to fix is to unplug and plug. 

Don’t expect this from a device That expensive. 

hope there will be a fix asap

rgds daniel

Recently purchased the arc and sub to replace a Sony system… awesome when it works, but having the same issue 😔. On the 2020 Samsung Frame 65” with SONOS Arc and Sub. Hope there is an update soon.

Badge

Just received my Arc today and the audio goes in and out on my Samsung Q07T. 
troubleshoot ticket #: 1753647283

Hi there,

I recently purchased the Arc and Sub (Sofware Version 12.0.5) to go with my 2020 Samsung Frame 65” (TV Software Version: T-NKMAKUC-1301.5). Connected by eARC HDMI.
I read most of this thread and am experiencing the same issue of intermittent sound cutting in and out for about one second on, one second off. 

Unplugging and pluggin back in does resolve for at least the current sitting, but starts back up again eventually. 

What other numbers can I give you to help? I’m not sure where to find the diagnostic number. Thanks for your dedication to solving this!

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Guys,is there a TV that actually works with Sonos Arc for ATMOS? So far it seems like LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, TCL, Hisense, Vizio all have issue with the Sonos Arc with audio cut out issues and no fix available yet. Is there even a TV that work for people here?

Well it seems LGs recent 3.21.09 and 3.21.16 firmwares for CX/GX  have improved the issue, I would go as far as say its fixed the issues, but I only installed the firmware the other day so can’t say for sure.

Although the firmware notes do not state audio/eARC fixes I believe the firmware does contain fixes for audio issues, Ive seen a lot of owners say these firmwares have fixed their audio issues.

Just let us know if you need anything. We and the community are always here to help.  

As I have (among MANY other Sonos products) an Arc that exhibits the problems and one that doesn't, I need a replacement for the one that doesn’t work as intended. You can take all the time in the world to fix it as long as what I have works.

All

just also wanted to add that I had lip sync issues depending on the app or sky etc, all have seemed to have gone away since the update.

I will keep you posted on the dropping out, been switching between apps and no problems so far.

will report back in a weeks time.

Badge

@Kyle A I had included the number of the diagnostic in my prior message, 1022192339. I just took a new one when it dropped out today, Hulu: Chopped, 1879020268. I turned the TV off and back on, waited for audio playback, and submitted for the diagnostic. Let me know if there is anything extra, debug mode, etc; that you might like for me to do. My wife is about ready to have this thing returned.

Unplugging the arc and plugging it back in solved it for me for about a week and I’m back to it cutting in and out,  any fixes from Sonos?  I don’t want to have to plug and unplug it all the time 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@tru3north

Unfortunately it did not fix the issue. There is sound missing for 1-2 seconds when the Netflix logo appear after selecting a movie, then the sound kicks in, but it still cut-out the sound after every 15 minutes. Not only on Netflix, so it is generic.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

As awful a workaround as this is, I’ve put a smartplug on my Arc connected to my Smartthings.  Before I watch, I tell Google to ‘Turn off my soundbar’ and then ‘Turn on my soundbar’.  Not a frustrating as digging in the cabinet to unplug and plug it.  But in my head, all I am saying is ‘Hey Google, waste some more money on Sonos please’.