Answered

Arc TV sound cuts in and out.

Show first post

751 replies

For some time mine was acceptable. I only had complete audio drops once  every 3-5 days when switching source. But after the latest update its happening 1-3 times a day. 

Is that happening with TV audio (built in Apps) or from Apps running on a connected device to one of the TV HDMI ports ...or all types of audio, including music playback from the Sonos App? I just ask that, as there are a variety of things that can cause each of the playback ‘interruption’ issues, depending on the actual audio source to the HT setup.

If it’s from built-in Apps from devices connected to the TV, for example, then I would perhaps take a closer look at the HDMI-CEC implementation on the connected peripherals, whereas if it is happening with Music playback, it’s more likely a wired, or wireless, local network issue causing the audio buffering process to fall-over. Of course it maybe a combination of both.

It’s ‘perhaps’ less-likely it’s going to be the recent software update that’s causing the issue, but at the very least, I would perhaps try to eliminate those other things first. It should not have been happening at all, even before the update, if all was well with your setup.

Userlevel 1

I went back into the “Premium” Sonos store that I purchased my gear from and they suggested I spend $140 on a new HDMI cable.  Once I work out how to lodge a fault with Sonos (think it requires a phone call).  Incidentally the people at the store did say they have heard the arc does have these issues so maybe the hdmi cable provided is not up to standard or they are working on a software fix

Badge +1

That’s disappointing! I just submitted another diagnostic (1737454426) because it did it about 5-9 times in less than 45 seconds. It’s incredibly frustrating. What’s everyone else doing to deal with it? Sorry if it’s posted here, I’ve just read so many things over the last week then seen unsuccessful results in the end. 

Mine acts up every 7 days or so. I reset my tv to get it fixed. I write the dates it happens to keep record in case I need it later on.

I wish! It happens within an hour of resetting my TV. It happens non stop when it starts, it’s almost like it degrades quickly. Resetting the TV will clear it up, but having to do it 3 times in a movie is aggravating. However, it sounds so good when it works!!!

I can assure you it isn’t the HDMI cable. That store just wants your money.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

After sending in a diagnostic, the Sonos rep called me and we discussed the situation with the audio cutting out. If I’m playing music and no audio disconnect happens, it’s either the cable ( which I have switched already), the tv, or the HDMI plugs on tv or ARC.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @method_ben, thank you for the heads up.

I agree, hope our engineers find a solution soon.

Regarding the complaints, there’s not much we can do other than wait for a bug fix or update from our engineers.

Taking the return option is available to all; as long as it hasn’t passed the 45 day period. 

We’ll keep a close eye on this topic and we’ll notify if there’s an update

For now, we wait patiently for any news on this internally.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Is this 12.0.5 update the fix for the Arc audio problem?

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Dogdad and @method_ben, sorry for the late response.

The release notes state:

• Full system update 
  • Fix for Lifecycle bug impacting Legacy players
  • Other bug fixes/app cleanup

I’ve checked the progress of other issues with the Arc like the connection issue with Samsung TVs, the investigation is still on-going.

I’ll try to gather more information about the update.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@tjleonard Do you reset the TV and the arc? Do you reset it by taking out the plug?  I know this is very frustrating but for mine to “get fixed for several days”, I need to physically pull out the plug or turn off the fuse.  Resetting via the app/remote doesn’t do much for me.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Its only related to my tv and eARC. And its been there a long time. My audio drops completly when switching source - native appe, tv tuner and Apple tv 4K.

Exactly the same here, lg cx.

Userlevel 1

Hi Bruce, I suspect the same but how do you/I actually know whether there is a dodgy batch of HDMI cables getting around?

Badge +1

@Krishma M 

Is disabling the eARC solves the issue on the Sony XBR 950G ?

I have an LG c9 OLED tv, an ARC, sub (gen 3), and 2 Sonos one SLs. I have been experiencing exactly the same problems as referred to above, i.e. recurrent cut-outs of sound from all Sonos speakers lasting perhaps 10-15secs with reversion of sound to tv internal speakers. Sound returns after a message appears on the tv saying that the HDMI connection is available. Sound cut out does not occur if I play music rather than watch the tv. If I disable the Wifi on the ARC, the sub and Ones do not work but the cut outs do not occur on watching tv channels. The Arc is connected to the internet using a ethernet connection via a Netgear Powerline av500. All speakers registered that they were using the Sonosnet and the matrix showed excellent connections and no interference. The problem was solved by adding another ethernet connection, this time to one of the One SLs (again using a Powerline av500). Since doing that I have not experienced any drop-outs. It is possible that it is still early days - 24 hours since I made the change - but this is still the longest I have gone without dropouts on Netflix, AppleTV and Sky. Previously dropout occurred frequently on all these channels. 

I would be really grateful if someone could explain what has happened here and why the second ethernet connection seems to have solved the problem.

Badge +2

Yes! The TV is set to Passthrough and eARC is on. I have noticed it is generally Dolby atmos content that causes the issue???

I received an replied email from them and they admitted that there are some problems with the samsung tv. They are now working with samsung to fix this problem. No time frame guarantee 

Badge +1

@tjleonard Do you reset the TV and the arc? Do you reset it by taking out the plug?  I know this is very frustrating but for mine to “get fixed for several days”, I need to physically pull out the plug or turn off the fuse.  Resetting via the app/remote doesn’t do much for me.

I reset my tv by unplugging it for about 15 seconds.

Resetting just the arc by unplugging that doesn’t help (that I’ve noticed). It’s also possible I’m just getting lucky on unplugging the TV. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @tru3north 

Thanks for the information - I’m sure it will help someone!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Are you sure your problem isn’t related to an assistant making the speaker duck?

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@Corry P 
Corry, I’ve now tested over the past 2 weeks. It seems the issue is not completely gone when running Dolby Atmos through an Apple TV4K (in my setup). Additionally I’ve got the Arc and Samsung The Frame 2020 TV.

Watching Ted Lasso with Dolby Atmos on Apple TV+ on my Apple TV4K makes the sound cut for a few seconds every 15 minutes or so. The same when watching Netflix on Apple TV4K.

Watching local streaming TV with Stereo PCM, no problem.

Using the integrated Netflix app on the Samsung TV with Dolby Atmos, no problem.

Unfortunately Apple TV+ app doesn't support Dolby Atmos on the Samsung TV (yet?).

I read in another post, that the issue occurs when the TV switches to Dolby Digital Plus, but why would it switch to the DD+ in the first place ? Is this between playing Atmos and DD+ content / movies ?

I am quite unsure why the Apple TV makes mistakes, and who’s fault it is. Maybe you can enlighten us ?

I tried @tru3north advice to delete the Netflix app on my Apple TV4K and re-install it. After that I haven't been able to see the Dolby Atmos support logo’s on any movie. Everything is shown as 5.1, however when playing a movie, Dolby Atmos is supported and is streamed to Sonos Arc (as far as I can see in the Sonos app). I wonder if this has anything to do with feedback error or some kind of synchronising of data.

One other thing I noticed is that by starting any Netflix content, there is a short ‘no audio’ for a few seconds while the standard Netflix logo is being played before any title. 

Everything is updated to the latest firmware.

PS: I’ve submitted a diagnostics just when the cut-out appeared, but I forgot to note down the number. If you’d like me to try out different options or settings, please let me know.

I guess we don’t. How do we know it’s not a dodgy issue with your TV? Or the power your home is supplied by your power company? Or a software issue? Or sunspots?

Feel free to spend the extra money on new HDMI cables, but if it were me, I’d be sure that there’s a money back guaranty if it doesn’t change anything.

And unless that cable is forty feet or more, it’s overpriced. 

I recently received my Sonos Arc as well and am also experiencing this.

My Setup:

• Directly connected to eARC/HDMI to my Sony XBR75X950H
  • Arc has physical Ethernet connectivity to my Spectrum router (WiFi not enabled)
  • Firmware is up to date on my Sony television and the Sonos system

I have swapped the HDMI cable and the issue still persists. This happens with any of my streaming apps (Hulu, NetFlix, and Prime). When I unplug just the soundbar, wait for the 10-seconds, and plug it back in, the sound is back.

I will try to use the optical out adapter and see if I still have the issue. The problem is that this very intermittent and not consistent at all. Sometimes the soundbar will work all day and be fine and other times the sound will cut out multiple times a day.

Just wanted to update everyone that swapping out to the optical out adapter seems to have resolved the issue of the TV sound cutting out on my Sony TV. I did see a few posts asking about music and I was able to stream music without any audio issues (AirPlay). Seems like this is isolated to the HDMI/eARC as the cause of this issue. The only downside to using the adapter is that now I have to control volume through my phone or an additional remote. Hoping Sonos has an update soon!

I can confirm that the HDMI cable is plugged directly from my Sonos Arc into my Samsung Q95T into the eArc port. It’s detected by the TV and the remote volume controls are transferred as normal.

It works fine while watching that evening, then the next time I turn on the TV, like clock-work, it’s back to cutting in an out. I’ve tried enabling and disabling the external device within the tv settings but on turning it back on the sound cuts in and out ever few seconds remainins.

The only way to resolve it so far has been to power cycle the Sonos every time. The strange thing about this issue is it didn’t happen when it first released. I pre-ordered my Sonos and got it same day in Brisbane when it released to market. The issue never occured for the first few months… which makes me suspect that a firmware or software update that came down is the cause, either by the TV manufacturer OR Sonos.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Well, I just ordered a new Arc. This will be my third . My original Arc I bought in June is still attached to my system. Sonos sent a replacement that acted up on the second and third day of being hooked up so went back to the original and sent replacement back. My new one( third try) will be here this week. If it acts up, I’m thinking it’s not the Arc. Don’t think three Arcs would be defective. I’ll blame it on the tv manufacturers. We shall see. 

It sure seems to be a design flaw in the Arc.  It’s happening across most of the brands of TVs, and stories like yours just confirm that it’s not a one off broken unit.  All 3 of your arcs may be ‘defective’ like the rest of ours in that bad design is the defect. 

Hi guys.

4 months on and i’m still having this problem once in a while. additionally, now my arc + sub setup occasionally drop the sub and shows the sub as unconfigured. unplugging and replugging the sub doesn’t solve the problem, but unplugging the arc will fix it. 

I’ve submitted a diagnostic with ref no 1287225351. if somebody can have a look would be appreciated. 

thank you

musab

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

I thought it was fixed on my lg cx, but yesterday It dropped again switching from apple tv 4k back to live TV.

I was watching Atmos content, so perhaps the issue occurs more so when listening to atmos audio and back to stereo, dolby 5.1….

Badge +1

So I also have the problem on my lg c2. Sound is off when I switch hdmi source or even happens when I switch from Netflix Dolby atmos to YouTube video, all internal apps. Switching sound source to tv speaker and back to HDMI solves the issue temporarily.Freaking annoying. Never had this issue with my Samsung soundbar. I think it’s Sonos.. regretting so much my god..