Answered

Arc TV sound cuts in and out.

Show first post

751 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi ElvinSan.  So are you using the HDMI cable supplied by Sonos (which is only HDMI 1.4 compliant and not technically certified for eARC) or are you using a certified HDMI v2.0 cable? 

Where did you get this info?

I thought Sonos said the cable met the hdmi 2.0 spec (up to 18gbps). In any case I switched out the sonos supplied cable to a Belkin ultra high speed (up to 48gbps) and its cured my occasional dropouts, nearly 4 weeks without issue.

I think the latest LG CX 3.21.16 had a big part to play in fixing audio/eARC issues as well though.

Please I need some ideas.  I have a Samsung 98 inch Neo QLED QN90A (QN98QN90AAFXZA) and a sonos ARC with two ERA 300 for surround and 2 Gen3 subs.  The Arc is connected to the tvs EARC port.  I get sound find and I am able to pass through Atmos, and dolby digital plus and others. I tried to stream from my nvidia shield 2019 and via plex I get sound cutting out. I have tried it via netflix same thing.  I also get the audio cutting out on Youtube and plex on the native TV apps.  Here are the steps I have tried to fix this:

1-Replaced all HDMI cables

2-Tried different input ports for shield

3-Replaced my ARC with a brand new one (up to date with latest firmware as of 4-27-2024)

4-Replaced my shield with a 2nd one around the house(up to date with latest firmware as of 4-27-2024)

5-Tried testing it directly from tv app vs shield same issue

6-Tried messing with the settings on the tv like earc auto and off, pass-though on and auto

7-Adjusted the delay to sync the earc (this seems to help but not fix the issue)

8-I tested the adapter of toslink with the hdmi and I think this works but is not viable solution as I cant get Atmos or control the sound very easily

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the port is bad on the TV.  Please someone out there has to have a solution.  At this point I am willing to buy anything to fix. I have already spent a ton of time and money and I cant get to the bottom of the issue.

Upgraded to 13 with high hopes to resolve the issue.  Doesn’t appear to fix with my Samsung Q70R.  Called tech support just now and they said nothing wrong with the Arc.  It’s your Samsung and it’s HDMI settings.  Call them to resolve the issue.  Sigh.

Also tried to tell me that because Sonos radio works the Arc is working perfectly.  Even though clearly Sonos radio doesn’t even USE HDMI lol.

They also told me to just use Optical output and don’t use HDMI Arc.  Guess I bought a dolby atmos sound bar for nothing.

Maybe I’ll just return my Arc, Sub, and SL’s and just get my money back.

I have Sony A8h 65 with arc, sub and SL ones. I could replicate the issue of sound dropping out on particular content on Netflix. It wouldn't last 5 mins without a stutter or drop out. Since the latest sony update, around a week ago, I have had no issues. The Sony firmware update stated a fix for earc sound issues.

I will keep monitoring but this is not purely a sonos issue.

Badge

Speak of the devil. Samsung has pushed out a The Frame 65” software update. If the connection gremlins abate, will report in on my experience.

Excellent ! Tell us if the fix is good ! Here , same  issue With my Samsung qled 95t. The sonos arc sound cut off, its seems random… strange.. please dev sonos fix it :-) 

Thank you all for all your efforts and testing. A system update has now been released which also include a fix to this issue (it disables the Sonos “screensaver” on an Arc if connected to a Samsung TV). Please update your Sonos systems. If you’re still experiencing problems after updating, please let us know.

I called Support and they basically said i’m out of luck and to call Samsung for support because everything is working from the Sonos side

Badge

Hi folks, thanks for reaching out and appreciate all the details and sharing the feedbacks. Let me now help you with this.

For Samsung TV users, check the steps below. 

1. First, check if the issue occurs when using a different HDMI cable.
  2. If the issue persists, we then want to eliminate any other bad HDMI devices that could be causing the issue.
  3. If you have multiple HDMI connected devices and inbuilt apps, does the issue occur without all the HDMI devices connected, if not, add one HDMI device back to the TV at a time until the combination is found that causes the issue?
  4. Else if the issue persists without any other HDMI sources connected or just the one primary HDMI source, check the workaround/s below and let me know the Samsung TV model.

Two options:

• Reboot the Sonos ARC.
  • Hard reboot the TV ( disconnect the TV from the power for a minute or two) then reconnect power.

We have reported the issue to Samsung and that we are working with them to address the issue. 

For Sony TV users:

Arc is experiencing TV playback interruptions when playing DD+ format content from Sony XBR950G TV apps.

Adjusting TV audio settings to DD or PCM audio format will be our workaround if you have the same problem.

For LG TV users:

When using an LG C9 with the output set to eARC, and playing DD+ Atmos content from the inbuilt apps, the audio will be frequently interrupted. For now, disable eARC on the LG C9 OLED TV for Inbuilt DD+Atmos Content.

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate the patience and understanding. Our engineering team is currently working on a fix. We don’t have the exact timing to share at this point and will update this thread when we do.

If you all have a different problem, create a new thread, or find a similar thread that would be helpful to your concern. 

Just let us know. We and the community are always here to help.

3 months later and the problem is still there…

SONOS, any news about it???

Well, with no date for the Samsung Frame TV issue, I returned the Arc and will wait for the fix before reordering. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @BoostinChick, @G422, @AndyLG, and @jpcarey, thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community.

@G422, as of this time, I’m gathering more information about the TV-Sonos Arc connection issue. 

A few things I would like you to check, is it also happening while playing music?

If not, check the TV firmware for any updates, check the HDMI cable, try the optical adaptor connection.

If you still encounter the issue, submit a diagnostic confirmation number. So we can check for the same errors.

@BoostinChick, thank you for your cooperation, please update us if you also encounter the same issue.

@AndyLG, I understand the decision, having a high-value product not work properly is not ok. 

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out. The community is here to help.

@jpcarey, thank you for the input; I’m not sure why Sonos named it this way but honestly, it’s confusing because we also deal with the HDMI-ARC. 

For the software, I do understand the disappointment and no worries our engineers are looking into it.

Also, please take a diagnostic for us to verify the errors we’re seeing.

Update us with the diagnostic.

I experience the same issue with my Arc.  It is connected to a Samsung TV and the sound cuts in and out.  Once I reboot the Arc it works for a day or so and then the problem returns.  Never had this problem with the Beam.  I expect more for this expensive of a device.  I have tried various HDMI cables...the same one that works fine on the Beam has issues with the Arc.  So far not impressed with the Arc.

I’ve had the Arc for 10 days and the sound has just started playing up. I’ve tried different ways to sort out the issue and the latest “fix” was to unplug the HDMI cable into that goes into the tv ARC connection and then plug it back in. I’m hoping that Sonos can provide a permanent solution and will be monitoring things closely on this forum. 

Guys,is there a TV that actually works with Sonos Arc for ATMOS? So far it seems like LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, TCL, Hisense, Vizio all have issue with the Sonos Arc with audio cut out issues and no fix available yet. Is there even a TV that work for people here?

My LG C9 TV is working fine here and I get Atmos output.

Ken,

What LG firmware are you on and do you have eARC set to on the C9 menus? Also are you using the apps on the LG to play or sourcing elsewhere? I’ve been having drops on my C9 (latest firmware) when I have eARC set to on. 

Badge

The support told me that it will be deployed in the next official update (but don’t know when).

They only update the ARC firmware to 12.2.3, all others are still in 12.2.2

I think that they are in the test phase before wide deployment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @YBD 

I’ve answered your question on your own topic:

But yes, we now consider the Samsung TV issues resolved.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @method_ben, yes, hopefully, our engineers find a solution to this issue.

Turning off the eARC? will depend on the TV to have this setting. 

However, without eARC, the Sonos Arc won’t be able to receive Dolby TrueHD and only get up to Dolby Digital +. 

Listen to Dolby Atmos on Sonos Arc

Disabling the eARC isn’t a good solution in my opinion; because the Sonos Arc is advertised to support eARC and Dolby Atmos.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

@Krishma M

Is disabling the eARC solves the issue on the Sony XBR 950G ?

No it doesn’t.. I have the same.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Excellent ! Tell us if the fix is good ! Here , same  issue With my Samsung qled 95t. The sonos arc sound cut off, its seems random… strange.. please dev sonos fix it :-) 

Mine is 55q95t so if it works for me it should work for you!

Hope this next firmware fixes all the other TVs as well like the LG CX.

Got escalated to Level2 support.  So much better.  We narrowed down the issue and got it resolved.  Thinking it’s a weird HDMI-CEC issue coming from my Intel NUC which doing something even though it was off.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Anyone with LG CX had complete sound drops switching between sources?

Have you experienced any since 3.11.30 firmware?, It’s too early to tell but since installing 3.11.30 on the CX, apart from a minor audio dropout that came back on its own, I have yet to get a complete loss of sound when switching between sources.

But as said it's only been since yesterday, that the ARC has played nice. 

Maybe try this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/ki8uo8/atmos_audio_bug_with_apple_tv_4k_lg_cx_arc_fixed/

@Ken_Griffiths Thanks for the reply! :)

I am using an AppleTV 4K which I have CEC enabled on so I don’t have to use 20 different controllers…

Every other device in my network works with CEC, so I would imagine Sonos should be able to get the ARC to do so too???

That’s okay.. did you try with the TV ports set to pass-through, rather than auto?

Just bought Arc, sub and surround speakers. Sound is great and then turns on and off. Unplug and restart and works again. Then stops. I have a Samsung TV. Just return the system?  This seems like an ongoing issue with no real fix. 

Badge +1

During a call with Sony last week, the engineer admitted there is a problem with the eArc and they are working on it. A lot models are affected and they even introduce this bug with the last release of their 900H firmware. They enabled eArc and HDMI 2.1 for the 900H to support 4K 120Hz for the PS5. By the way, the sound issue doesn’t seem to be the only problem. You can see on reddit that there is a lot of people having problem with soundbars from different manufactures and Sony TVs with eArc capabilities.

I work in software development for a while and here’s what I think. Because many different brands having problem with eArc, I’m pretty sure there is a problem with the eArc protocol/standard itself. I hope this is a software issue and not a hardware issue. That’s my two cents.

More explanations from Sonos will be appreciated.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi @method_ben, yes, hopefully, our engineers find a solution to this issue.

Turning off the eARC? will depend on the TV to have this setting. 

However, without eARC, the Sonos Arc won’t be able to receive Dolby TrueHD and only get up to Dolby Digital +. 

Listen to Dolby Atmos on Sonos Arc

Disabling the eARC isn’t a good solution in my opinion; because the Sonos Arc is advertised to support eARC and Dolby Atmos.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Hi

Im not sure if my issue is the same but I also have audio dropping out with my LG CX.

I experience a complete connection loss between the Sonos ARC and my TV. 

This can happen when I switch from say hdmi 1 (xbox) back to the TV tuner, no sound due to the connection dropping.

Or when I exit an internal app like netflix back to the TV tuner the connection will be lost.

I can fix it a few ways, turning off and on eARC setting on TV to get the connection back or switch to a different hdmi port and back to TV tuner.

Another time I lose the connection although doesn't happen quite as often is when I turn my TV on and 10 seconds later the audio will just drop altogether (connection lost again), fixes above sort it out.

Unsure if this is the LG TV issue or Sonos ARC, in any case I really want it fixed.

I can tell its the connection that is lost, as pressing the volume up down, the TV volume bar displays but on the Sonos ARC the white light does not flash with the button presses.

IN MY CASE THE PROBLEM IS WITH THE NETFLIX APP ON AN APPLE TV BOX

Sub, Arc, One surrounds, Apple TV 4K, LG Nanocell

Based on my tests, I get a lot of audio issues - cutting out, complete audio loss for long periods and losing Arc audio to the surrounds - but only on Netflix played via the Apple TV box

Any other source that is not Netflix via Apple TV box - doesn’t even matter if it’s Dolby Atmos or not - plays perfectly. Disney+, Amazon Prime and Apple TV+ material played thru Apple TV 4K are fine. Even using the smart TV‘s Netflix app has no problem whatsoever.

Check it out. I believe the Netflix app doesn’t play nice on an Apple TV.