Answered

Arc TV sound cuts in and out.

Show first post

752 replies

Same issue as all of you. In my case, I noticed last Sony update disabled IP Direct; turned the option on and resumed watching stream @point where audio died without issue...only Sonos and / or Sony can give a definitive answer, but so far so good.

I have an X90J

Userlevel 2
Badge

For those who are saying this is now fixed with the updates.  Is it because it was skipping and now after the update it stops skipping?  I would just be careful because we had reports of that earlier only for the issue to come back.

No definitely nothing to do with an assistant. The issue seems to be getting worse with the audio cutting out more and more during normal viewing 

That’s not something I’m seeing with the Sonos Arc that I have here - however, I have seen forum posts in the past where users lay-claim that their Arc was doing this audio ‘ducking’ and they felt it might have been an ‘electromagnetic field’ from their TV causing some kind of effect on their Arc touch controls and MIC.

IIRC this was just a ‘belief’, rather than them having any evidence in support of their claim, but one or two users did say the problem went away (coincidentally, or otherwise) when they moved their Arc further away from their TV .. I’m not sure if they moved it downwards or forward or both.. but they claim the problem stopped.

My thoughts therefore would be to perhaps try testing their theory by moving the Arc away from the TV or by disabling the Arc touch controls instead and also uninstalling any voice assistant and leaving the Mic off, just to see if that has any effect, nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that.

It certainly seems that not everyone (like me) have this issue, so there might not be anything here that Sonos need to fix at this present stage, as the complaints are few by comparison, so it makes sense to try to find something that may (just may) fix it in the meantime.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I just switched back to the “old” Sonos cable and using the same settings as DaRealDrPhil on my Lg b9… Lets see if it solves the problem.

Hi, I've recently had this issue on a brand new setup of Samsung QE55Q90 and sonos arc connected through eArc in the TV. Every so often the sound would start to drop for about a second every few seconds. Only way to fix was to unplug sonos arc from the mains and restart it. 

I see other people have mentioned problems after using the Nintendo Switch and it dawned on me that I've only recently plugged the switch into the TV and the sound drop outs appear to have started since then - it definitely didn't happen for the few weeks I've had the sonos before then.

Have unplugged the Switch completely and will report back if the sound drops out again 

I know it's difficult to test for all permutations of AV equipment but I don't think this is really good enough for such an expensive soundbar. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Aug 16, 2020 update

Seems to be getting worse, or at least feels that way. Happens daily, and randomly, even when in apps (ie sound disappears between YouTube videos), not after switching apps—though, that happens, too! 

Sound returns when Sony X950G rebooted or switching from Auto 1 to Auto 2. 

These are no solutions, Sonos or Sony, or whoever’s fault it is. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @KrishnaM - yes restarting and rebooting is not an acceptable solution for my Samsung TV. Can you please keep us updated?  Thank you.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Yep add me to the list. After the Arc update today to 12.2 I’m getting the constant drop outs with my LG CX after swapping from Atmos to non Atmos content. The awful experience continues.

Same here on LG CX

Not all the time but enough to make it annoying.

My latest dropouts were yesterday, started apple tv 4k, went to watch something in Atmos, no audio at all.

Backed out tried tried show again, audio was fine.

Another issue that occurs sometimes is after watching atmos content and then going straight to something in dolby 5.1 I get stuttering audio.

I exhibit these issues on apple 4k tv, but have had dropouts on other devices to, I notice more so via apple box because I use that the most.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It shouldn’t be, because the problem that started this thread should be resolved. See the first post.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I have a new Arc (with sub and surrounds) and new 65” Samsung The Frame. The audio connection problem is real.

Sonos and Samsung need to work together to fix it.

A simple power on and off of the Arc consistently fixes this. 

But doing this is not only inconvenient, also very occasionally I then have an issue with the Arc cluster properly re-registering on the network, sometimes then, in-turn, requiring me to reset my entire mesh network.

Sonos owes everyone a formal public statement about how it will fix its problem.

And it should fix it, and fast.

If you read the posts, you’ll learn it’s not a Sonos issue, but the tv manufacturers! Sony and Samsung have already come out with firmware updates that fix the issue. Different regions are getting them at different times. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I was just watching a movie with the kids and i had some audio drops…

Diagnostic: 53159555

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I was thinking about the issue that I had a few nights ago - complete sound loss when using eARC and no way to get it back, but all fine the next day. On the night when I was having trouble, I noticed that resolution on YoutubeTV (set to auto) was only 480p instead of a max of 720p on ESPN. It was a very stormy night and I ascribe the low resolution to some storm-related bandwidth issues. My point is that at least for that night, the eARC sound issues seemed to correlate with the lower video resolution, which was presumablycaused by lower than usual data transfer rates. Could these lower data rates impact eARC audio signal? Way out of my depth here, but just wondering if bandwidth might be an issue for eARC. 

I highly doubt it..when perfect weather occurs, there are still drop outs.

I have the same problem with my arc cutting out for a few seconds every hour or two, it starts with a noise which i can only describe as short-circuit noise then silence then again a short circuit noise then it works again the bar was ok on my older ARC tv but i now have eARC tv and the problem has begun, has sonos actually come up why this is happening and how they are going to do something about it?
I have spent thousands on various sonos kit and i am very disappointed 

Same issue as everyone else, replying so that I can keep track of a resolution. The timeframe for this issue is just silly. At some point sonos needs to think about either a recall or a refund for the broken devices. 

Sonos Arc plugged in with provided hdmi cable to

Samsung Frame TV 2020 with no extra hdmi devices connected. 

Diagnostics - 474506533

Badge +2

@Ken_Griffiths Thanks for the reply! :)

I am using an AppleTV 4K which I have CEC enabled on so I don’t have to use 20 different controllers…

Every other device in my network works with CEC, so I would imagine Sonos should be able to get the ARC to do so too???

Hi ElvinSan.  So are you using the HDMI cable supplied by Sonos (which is only HDMI 1.4 compliant and not technically certified for eARC) or are you using a certified HDMI v2.0 cable? 

Hi Gary,

I am using the HDMI cable supplied with the ARC… so is it necessary to buy a V2.0 compliant cable?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @shr1986 

“The second issue was that people reported no audio when the eARC setting was enabled on the TVs. This was also fixed in the firmware update.”

Im still having this problem with my Lg b9. I know this is a thread about samsung TV’s but do you know if a fix is coming? 

I’m not aware of that exact issue on LG TVs. I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

Have a Samsung Q95 TV and also have the same problem with the arc sound cutting in and out.

But have found a way to solve the issue with out turning the power off and on. 

in the expert sound setting there is a Dolby Atmos compatibility toggle button.   By simply clicking this off and on it fixes the ARC problem and can even set the HDMI -eARC mode to auto which following this process.

so clearly the problem is fixable.    Just getting sick of having to do this every day.   

It’s amazing that this has been going on for months and it’s not fixed. Having to reboot the ARC around one to two times per week.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I have Sony A8h 65 with arc, sub and SL ones. I could replicate the issue of sound dropping out on particular content on Netflix. It wouldn't last 5 mins without a stutter or drop out. Since the latest sony update, around a week ago, I have had no issues. The Sony firmware update stated a fix for earc sound issues.

I will keep monitoring but this is not purely a sonos issue.

My issue happens every 7 to 14 days. It would have to be 30 days of no issues for me to think it has been resolved. Sony Bravia XBR 65- 950G is my tv and have not seen an update yet, or it hasn’t arrived to me as they can’t update everyone at the same time.

I don’t see this in the US version of the update.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I don’t see this in the US version of the update.

Look at the yellow highlight area..

First post here on the forum -

I just took delivery of an LG CX77 (Still in the box) and Sonos Arc, Gen 3 Sub and a pair of One SL’s for surrounds. Installation will be Saturday. Best Buy Geek Squad will do the installation and set up.

After reading this thread, I am worried the SONOS sound system will not be reliable. I  currently have a Samsung Q80R Soundbar now that works flawlessly. Its decent, but not great. It works reliably with my 7 year old Samsung 1080 65” TV. My intention is to upgrade to the 77” OLED, enjoy 4K and actually use Dolby Atmos.

I was looking forward to ]even better sound with the Song ARC system connected to my new  LG CX OLED TV. But this thread has me worried it will be unreliable. Maybe I should just return the Sonos ARC and get the compatible LG 9.1 Soundbar since I it might have more reliable system synergy and work properly?

I am bummed because I thought Sono ARC/Gen3 sub and One SL’s would be a superior system. I was even excited about maybe adding a second Gen3 Sub.

Should I even try the Sonos ARC system or save myself the anguish? 

Well, I’ve been following this thread for months. My Sony tv 65x 950G and Arc had the sound drop issues..till Sony came out with a software update months ago and it resolved the issue. Today I had another Sony software update and still good. I used to think it was a Sonos issue, but know that’s not the case as Sonos never came out with any type of update. It’s the tv manufacturers. New update for Sony is PKG6.5042.0633NAA

Hi Doddad,

I m also using the same TV, and using the TV update at months ago (PKG6.5042.xxxx still not available at my country) but i still have the sound drop issues… are u using the bundle HDMI cable or your own one?

Also can u switch to use “Internal TV speaker” ? I raised this issue in another thread…..as my setup keep switch back to external speaker “ARC”, no matter how many times i select “Internal TV speaker”….

Userlevel 2

Hi all,

Glad I came across this.

Mine has been working 100% perfect and still runs fine on Netflix, Disney+, std digital TV.

The first time I tried to use the Nintendo Switch I noticed it cutting out. It does it constantly and is worse the more is going on the screen at the time.

I have a OLED55B9PTA running eARC

I have a Samsung Q70 and have random issues when changing between Netflix, Youtube, TV etc. the sound just drops out. Usually have to unplug everything to get it working again.