Answered

Arc TV sound cuts in and out.

Userlevel 2

Just got the Arc and have it paired with 2 Play:1’s and a gen 3 sub. 
Samsung Q80R tv. 

The sound from the tv will play for around 5 seconds and then cut out for around 1 second, play for 5, out for 1, on and on. 

I’ve swapped out the hdmi cable twice, tried unplugging the tv, switched between PCM and DD+ and switched between different apps on the tv. 

The sonos app shows that I am getting an atmos signal  

Was running a beam with the Play:1’s (but no sub) before just fine.

Not sure what I should try next.

Thank you,

mike

icon

Best answer by Corry P 9 March 2021, 17:51

View original

749 replies

Badge +1

I’ve been having the problem since October and am connecting it to an LG TV. If e-arc is turned on for the TV, it drops audio frequently. If I turn it off, where the drops for e-arc takes place, you hear a kind of stuttering effect. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

With the new Sonos 13.0 and Samsung 1497.0 firmware, I am experiencing issues with the sound cutting like once every 10 minutes for a few seconds. Seems like this still haven't been fully fixed yet. Is anyone else experiencing this same issue ?

I’m having a ‘The Frame 2020’ TV running Netflix via an Apple TV4K.

With the new Sonos 13.0 and Samsung 1497.0 firmware, I am experiencing issues with the sound cutting like once every 10 minutes for a few seconds. Seems like this still haven't been fully fixed yet. Is anyone else experiencing this same issue ?

I’m also still having this same issue under the 13.0 update with my Q80T.  I’m about to throw the flag in and use the optical adapter.

So basically not fully resolved for anyone with Samsung Frame?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I’m also still having this same issue under the 13.0 update with my Q80T.  I’m about to throw the flag in and use the optical adapter.

Same issue. Same set up. Getting old. 

I’ve just bought an Arc and 2 One SL’s. When streaming Netflix or ITunes movies the audio cuts for a split second every now and then. Similar to some of the others on this page. I’ve done the override on my Apple TV to force the audio output to Dolby 5.1 only. Still happens. (Don’t even mention Atmos, I don’t think my TV supports that. When I force the Apple TV to play Stereo only I have no issues. Just for Dolby 5.1 or what ever the source suppliers. What do I do ? Looks like it’s a common issue on here. Do I need to return the entire system ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@hi-tone @Benny879 @WRM @EmileG 

Could anyone who is still experiencing constant audio drop outs on a Sonos Arc with a HDMI-connected Samsung TV, after updating both Sonos and Samsung software to their latest versions, please get in touch with our technical support team directly? Thanks.

@corianderstem how do I contact tech support directly. Have you got an email address or something. I’ve just replaced all my HDMI cables to High Speed Cables and still the same problem. On Dolby 5.1 not even on Dolby Atmos. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@EmileG 

Please click on the technical support link here or above to start a chat or get your local telephone support number.

I’ve actually just phoned your technical support. After going through the diagnostics and consulting with the consultant I’ve been instructed to buy the Sub (I don’t have a Sub). That’s a disappointment. Apparently my system only gets Dolby 5.0 and not 5.1 because the lack of Sub 😞 @Corry P 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I’ve actually just phoned your technical support. After going through the diagnostics and consulting with the consultant I’ve been instructed to buy the Sub (I don’t have a Sub). That’s a disappointment. Apparently my system only gets Dolby 5.0 and not 5.1 because the lack of Sub 😞 @Corry P 

That’s entirely expected - 5.1 is 6 channel sound, and if you don’t have the 6th speaker, there’s nowhere for that channel to play. Independently, at least.

In fact, the 6th channel is redirected to all the other channels, so that no audio is lost. With a Sub, however, it has a larger diameter of driver thus is more effective at reproducing large bass. All (any manufacturer) 5.1 surround systems are 5.0 if you don’t install a subwoofer - it’s in the definition.

In no way do you have to buy a Sub - only if you want the separated, better-defined bass that a Sub produces.

This is, of course, somewhat off topic. Are you still suffering audio interruptions?

@Corry P yup. With new HDMI cables there was no difference. Still get sound drops every couple of minutes.  Only when playing Netflix, Apple TV or Prime. Music plays perfectly. I actually bought the Sub 20min ago. If that doesn’t stop it I’ll be really mad. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@Corry P yup. With new HDMI cables there was no difference. Still get sound drops every couple of minutes.  Only when playing Netflix, Apple TV or Prime. Music plays perfectly. I actually bought the Sub 20min ago. If that doesn’t stop it I’ll be really mad. 

To be clear, there is no reason to expect the addition of a Sub to fix the audio interruptions you’re experiencing. If this is the sole reason you’re purchasing a new Sub, please cancel the order.

If you’re buying it to enjoy full 5.1 surround sound, then you’re buying it for the right reason.

@Corry P. If it solves the audio interruptions I am getting its worth it. (I will also get the benefit of having the good base)  If I am still going to get the Audio drops with the Sub I’ll be really MAD 😡 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

To be clearer, a Sub won’t fix the drops in audio.

@Corry P. A Man. Then I’ve just spent a lot of money for no reason. Are you a Tech at Sonos ? Not sure who to believe now. All I want it good Audio in Surround sound that does not drop out. Not sure why this is so difficult 😞 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Yes, I am also technical support, and it appears that you’ve been misinformed. The interruptions are happening either between the TV app and the TV’s hardware, over the HDMI link, or at the Arc. The Sub gets the audio after the Arc and is incapable of affecting what the Arc plays.

I recommend you cancel your order - the payment may not have been processed yet, if you only just purchased it. I can only apologise for any confusion.

Someone will be in touch with you soon regarding fixing the interruptions.

@Corry P. It’s after hours here in South Africa now. I’ll try cancel in the morning. Have you got my details and diagnostics? . I would like someone to give me a fix for this issue. Hopefully not costing me a fortune.  

[mod edit: please do not share personal details like your email address]

IN MY CASE THE PROBLEM IS WITH THE NETFLIX APP ON AN APPLE TV BOX

Sub, Arc, One surrounds, Apple TV 4K, LG Nanocell

Based on my tests, I get a lot of audio issues - cutting out, complete audio loss for long periods and losing Arc audio to the surrounds - but only on Netflix played via the Apple TV box

Any other source that is not Netflix via Apple TV box - doesn’t even matter if it’s Dolby Atmos or not - plays perfectly. Disney+, Amazon Prime and Apple TV+ material played thru Apple TV 4K are fine. Even using the smart TV‘s Netflix app has no problem whatsoever.

Check it out. I believe the Netflix app doesn’t play nice on an Apple TV. 

Don’t know why I can’t edit my own post but here’s an update: I deleted and reinstalled the Netflix app on my Apple TV and playing Lost in Space for 30 minutes now with zero problems. When I had issues, they occurred every 20 seconds or so. Everything working perfectly right now, Lost in Space and Formula 1 coming thru in full Dolby Atmos glory. Hope this helps others. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @tru3north 

Thanks for the information - I’m sure it will help someone!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Corry P I reached out to Sonos support. They advised updating to latest firmware for my Samsung Q80T, believing that this will fix the issue. I am currently on 1462 and my TV tells me that this is the latest available by internet install. However the Samsung website says that there is a new version, 1462.1, which is what the Sonos rep believes will fix the issue. Unfortunately it is only available via USB install using a Windows machine, and we’re all Mac. Bottom line is that Sonos appears to believe that this is a Samsung problem, but I currently have no way to tell. Guess I have to wait until Samsung provides this update by direct download. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Corry P I reached out to Sonos support. They advised updating to latest firmware for my Samsung Q80T, believing that this will fix the issue. I am currently on 1462 and my TV tells me that this is the latest available by internet install. However the Samsung website says that there is a new version, 1462.1, which is what the Sonos rep believes will fix the issue. Unfortunately it is only available via USB install using a Windows machine, and we’re all Mac. Bottom line is that Sonos appears to believe that this is a Samsung problem, but I currently have no way to tell. Guess I have to wait until Samsung provides this update by direct download. 

WRM,

there is a Way you can place the firmware on into the right folder, also on Mac. Just remember you have to format the USB in exFAT format for the Samsung TV to read it. Just google something like “Samsung TV firmware on mac.” I couldn’t remember the right way to do it either, so I googled it.

I was curious about this as well.  My Q80T also says 1462 is the latest.  My issue is that I have to unhang my TV from the wall if I want to get to my USB port.  Samsung really needs to release the OTA version of 1462.1.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

There does indeed seem to be a discrepancy between the latest firmware that a Samsung TV will download itself, and the latest firmware available on their website. I assume this is so they can get a smaller number of people to try it out before all TVs of that model update. A USB update shouldn’t really depend on what kind of computer downloaded the file, but as is mentioned, the TV must be able to read the drive. I’m sure the update will become available to the TV directly, soon.