Answered

Arc TV sound cuts in and out.

Userlevel 2

Just got the Arc and have it paired with 2 Play:1’s and a gen 3 sub. 
Samsung Q80R tv. 

The sound from the tv will play for around 5 seconds and then cut out for around 1 second, play for 5, out for 1, on and on. 

I’ve swapped out the hdmi cable twice, tried unplugging the tv, switched between PCM and DD+ and switched between different apps on the tv. 

The sonos app shows that I am getting an atmos signal  

Was running a beam with the Play:1’s (but no sub) before just fine.

Not sure what I should try next.

Thank you,

mike

icon

Best answer by Corry P 9 March 2021, 17:51

View original

748 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @riverinjonathan 

The Arc will have rebooted during the update process, so you should be good to go. If there are any problems, however, a reboot of both TV and Arc would be the first thing I’d try (power off TV, not standby). 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I am at a complete loss right now...Just got off the phone with Customer support and was told this is a Samsung issue and I needed to contact them.  

The issue I am having is that at my mom’s house, her Arc cuts in and out, and I drive over...unplug...plug back in...check HDMI...works for a week...repeat.  I am shocked that customer service is not aware of this, and is still claiming this is a Samsung issue.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Next step, I have contacted Samsung, and they state that our TV is updated to the latest firmware, and Sonos is aware of the issue and has an updated firmware to work with Samsung TV’s.  Does anyone know the keys to getting Sonos support to push the correct firmware to the Arc?

The maximum data rate for Dolby Digital Plus is 6.144 Gbit/s, so agree there. 

For Dolby TrueHD, the audio stream including metadata can be up to 18 Mbit/s (instantaneous).  If the cable tops out at 10.2 Gbit/s and the audio stream exceeds 10.2 Gbit/s the cable could introduce signal attenuation, crosstalk, data, clock or phase errors. Which could cause audio drop outs.

My main interest would be streaming Atmos TrueHD from a NAS.

For the sake of clarity, I feel I should point out that you are 3 orders-of-magnitude out - Dolby Digital+ peaks at 6Mbit/s. Uncompressed Atmos True-HD, with variable bitrate, averages at 6Mbit/s, and peaks at 18Mbit/s. With eARC’s maximum bandwidth of 38Mbit/s, there’s plenty of headroom.

The bandwidth needed for 8K video (or 4K at higher frame/refresh rates) is the reason for HDMI 2.0/2.1. The audio data requirements come nowhere close - around 1/1000th of the data.

Hi @Corry P , It sounds like you’ve ruled out the HDMI cable that Sonos provides with the Arc as the cause of the problem we are all here trying to solve. Thank you for that. Are there any updates from Sonos on solving the problem? We see reports of firmware updates being pushed out to select individuals. What is the status of that update for broader release? How does an individual get that firmware update? We’re all dissatisfied with response from Sonos so far, so I hope you can surprise us with some good news. Thanks.

Been having the sound cuts problem for months now… AND i asked the SONOS manager to apply the new patch, the new update for sonos ARC. And it WORKSSSSssss!! No more problem with Disney, Apple plus, Fibe, Crave, Etc... it was def a problemwith SONOS…

btw my tv is Sony x950h. 

Been having the sound cuts problem for months now… AND i asked the SONOS manager to apply the new patch, the new update for sonos ARC. And it WORKSSSSssss!! No more problem with Disney, Apple plus, Fibe, Crave, Etc... it was def a problemwith SONOS…

btw my tv is Sony x950h. 

Talked too fast. Worked well yesterday, but still having the cuts on Crave… ☹️

Update to 13.0 today but no idea what it does 

Edit: 

First observation, the app shows what it is receiving In real time, watching YouTube I now see 'Dolby Multichannel PCM 2.0' Switch is 'Multichannel PCM 7.1'

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Thank you all for all your efforts and testing. A system update has now been released which also include a fix to this issue (it disables the Sonos “screensaver” on an Arc if connected to a Samsung TV). Please update your Sonos systems. If you’re still experiencing problems after updating, please let us know.

Thank you all for all your efforts and testing. A system update has now been released which also include a fix to this issue (it disables the Sonos “screensaver” on an Arc if connected to a Samsung TV). Please update your Sonos systems. If you’re still experiencing problems after updating, please let us know.

Do you have the details on this update?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Please provide details of the update so I can know whether I’ve got it. Version, Build, etc. thanks. 

Userlevel 2

Installed the update + the Samsung firmware update (via USB) for my Q95T and so far… all is working and all is good..

MANY THANKS

Do you have the details on this update?

NB FYI: - The Sonos software release notes usually get posted here, if you need that information before you update. It’s still to be updated.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3521

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Yeah, not even close. 12.2.2. I was at least on 12.2.6 until recently and now on 12.2.7. Just trying to determine if this is the version that was released just a half hour ago

Thank you Corey!  Just downloaded….Every morning I have to unplug my sonos and plug it back in again...hope this one works!   It was version 13 for my arc that I downloaded

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Just updated and no difference for me on my Lg b9. Im still having complete audio drops when switching source (Apple tv to tv tuner) or going from a 5.1 tv channel to a stereo tv channel on the tv tuner.

Userlevel 2
Badge

no change with my LGOLED C7 and AppleTV setup. sound still cuts out. very annoying and disappointed on almost $2.000 purchase. 

I think this was for samsung picture tv’s right?  You guys with the LG’s need to keep pushing…I am so sorry...I KNOW how frustrating it is. 

I tried mine when I went home for lunch and it worked...so far, but I can not be sure until the morning as it goes in to screen saving mode overnight.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I think this was for samsung picture tv’s right?  You guys with the LG’s need to keep pushing…I am so sorry...I KNOW how frustrating it is. 

I tried mine when I went home for lunch and it worked...so far, but I can not be sure until the morning as it goes in to screen saving mode overnight.

so how does LG owners start the process to get this resolved?

I am not sure but if you go back to page 1 you will see that this thread was started for a Samsung TV. Maybe start a new thread?

Userlevel 2
Badge

I am not sure but if you go back to page 1 you will see that this thread was started for a Samsung TV. Maybe start a new thread?

new thread  started. can we start to get some support?

Arc and LG OLED sound issue

Confirmed: Version 13.0 solves my audio cut out issue with Arc and Samsung (Q70T)

Upgraded to 13 with high hopes to resolve the issue.  Doesn’t appear to fix with my Samsung Q70R.  Called tech support just now and they said nothing wrong with the Arc.  It’s your Samsung and it’s HDMI settings.  Call them to resolve the issue.  Sigh.

Also tried to tell me that because Sonos radio works the Arc is working perfectly.  Even though clearly Sonos radio doesn’t even USE HDMI lol.

They also told me to just use Optical output and don’t use HDMI Arc.  Guess I bought a dolby atmos sound bar for nothing.

Maybe I’ll just return my Arc, Sub, and SL’s and just get my money back.

I called Support and they basically said i’m out of luck and to call Samsung for support because everything is working from the Sonos side

Got escalated to Level2 support.  So much better.  We narrowed down the issue and got it resolved.  Thinking it’s a weird HDMI-CEC issue coming from my Intel NUC which doing something even though it was off.