Answered

Sonos era 300 static, pop sound

Userlevel 2
Badge

I was so excited to receive my Sonos Era 300 yesterday. Everything sounded great at first. But last night I was going to fall asleep to some music like I sometimes do and I noticed a static pop sound. It’s like listening to your music while someone is slowly closing a bag of chips.  

I tried everything. Unplugged, reset, tried playing through both the Sonos and Apple Music app and it still did it.  

Anyone else notice this issue?

I’m hoping it’s a software issue, but I’m not waiting to see if it is  

icon

Best answer by Corry P 1 June 2023, 13:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

266 replies

Userlevel 1

No additional update over the already released 15.4 to be found here (Europe). Hoping the hotfix solves those issues.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I think the version number remains the same...

According to german forum the update should be online

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Denni_86 

came another update to 15.4?
because according to the post 2-3 days ago there is still the problem with 15.4!?

And @Corry P wrote update from 23/05/2023...

I do not quite understand :)

Apologies - it doesn’t help that I got the date wrong. Thanks for pointing it out - I’ve corrected my post.

As @Flare rightly points out, this is an update that will only be applied to Era units. As such, it doesn’t result in version number change (there is a firmware build change, which you can see in About My System on Era units).

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

what does the build number mean?

Userlevel 1

I do have automatic updates enabled - so if it came before last night, it`s installed. But nothing new upon manual checking. Thanks anyways for the advice @Denni_86.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi @Denni_86 

because according to the post 2-3 days ago there is still the problem with 15.4!?

Apologies - it doesn’t help that I got the date wrong. Thanks for pointing it out - I’ve corrected my post.

As @Flare rightly points out, this is an update that will only be applied to Era units. As such, it doesn’t result in version number change (there is a firmware build change, which you can see in About My System).

is this the new Build 73041230 ?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @Denni_86 

As @Flare rightly points out, this is an update that will only be applied to Era units. As such, it doesn’t result in version number change (there is a build change, which you can see in About My System).

You have a number for me regarding the build change? Currently is have 73041050. Is this correct. As the version number didn't changed how can i verify if i have the latest update?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi @Denni_86 

As @Flare rightly points out, this is an update that will only be applied to Era units. As such, it doesn’t result in version number change (there is a build change, which you can see in About My System).

You have a number for me regarding the build change? Currently is have 73041050. Is this correct. As the version number didn't changed how can i verify if i have the latest update?

i think the new is Build 73041230 ?!?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @Denni_86 

As @Flare rightly points out, this is an update that will only be applied to Era units. As such, it doesn’t result in version number change (there is a firmware build change, which you can see in About My System).

is this the Build 73041230 ?

I have a different number which is 73041050?….. very confusing this!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @Denni_86 

i think the new is Build 73041230 ?!?

strange… as it’s saying my Sonos is already updated. Is this update also available in Europe or only US? I have my updates on “automatic updates” already,,,,,

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi @Denni_86 

is this the Build 73041230 ?

I have the number from the German forum maybe it is in Germany another... that can only @Corry P  answer

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @BJ2003, @Denni_86 & @Edwin_73 

As I understand it (but I’m not a software engineer so “pinch of salt”), each time the source code for software is changed and recompiled (turned into executable code), that’s a new build.

Yes.

Your non-Era units should have this build number. If you have any Era speakers on this build, please do a manual check for updates.

Generally, all units on a system should be on the same build, which equates to the same software version. Sometimes, such as now, a patch is released for a particular model or group of models, which results in those models being on a slightly more advanced version (read: higher number). Once the next general update is released, it will contain the changes that are in this patch and all units will be on the same build number once again (with a higher number than the Eras have now). I hope this makes sense.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Edwin_73 

strange… as it’s saying my Sonos is already updated. Is this update also available in Europe or only US? I have my updates on “automatic updates” already,,,,,

I am in the UK and have the update. We may not be in the E.U. anymore, but we are still in Europe. 😁

This patch should be available to you wherever you are.

Edit: If you rely on automatic updates, it will take slightly longer to receive the update as we stagger them to try to avoid swamping our servers. If you do a manual check for updates, you will receive it immediately - if you don’t already have it installed. Settings » System » System Updates » Check for Updates

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @Edwin_73 

I am in the UK and have the update. We may not be in the E.U. anymore, but we are still in Europe. 😁

This patch should be available to you wherever you are.

Thank you! How can i check if i received the update?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Edwin_73 

In the Sonos app, go to Settings » System » About my system. Scroll down till you reach your Era 100/300 unit(s) and check the build number

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @BJ2003@Denni_86 & @Edwin_73 

As I understand it (but I’m not a software engineer so “pinch of salt”), each time the source code for software is changed and recompiled (turned into executable code), that’s a new build.

Yes.

Your non-Era units should have this build number. If you have any Era speakers on this build, please do a manual check for updates.

Generally, all units on a system should be on the same build, which equates to the same software version. Sometimes, such as now, a patch is released for a particular model or group of models, which results in those models being on a slightly more advanced version (read: higher number). Once the next general update is released, it will contain the changes that are in this patch and all units will be on the same build number once again (with a higher number than the Eras have now). I hope this makes sense.

I did the manual check but no updates from me so far. 73041050 is the build number it gives me. So either in my region there's still no update (Netherlands) or I already have the correct update….

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @Edwin_73 

In the Sonos app, go to Settings » System » About my system. Scroll down till you reach your Era 100/300 unit(s) and check the build number

I hope this helps.

Thanks a lot this helps a lot. I now see that i have the correct update. Next step is to check if the cracks/ plops are gone now as i had quite some problems with that….. Keep you posted if this update finally will solve this problem. Highly appreciated for your help!

Userlevel 3
Badge

I was just able to update me Era’s to build #73041230 and I’m going to start testing out some movies and music to see if it fixes the popping/clicking. Hoping for the best! 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I was just able to update me Era’s to build #73041230 and I’m going to start testing out some movies and music to see if it fixes the popping/clicking. Hoping for the best! 

Any update? Till now i must say since the latest update I didn’t hear popping or cracks but still testing…

Userlevel 3
Badge

Any update? Till now i must say since the latest update I didn’t hear popping or cracks but still testing…

I did a little bit of listening yesterday and so far so good? I’m going to really put it through its paces over the weekend but so far I haven’t experienced any noticeable popping. Would love to hear how everyone else is finding the new update though.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

For now it works great.

Same here, hasn’t encountered issues since the firmware update 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi everyone, is everyone happy so far with the ERA specific update released last week that fixes the pop and crackle issue?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi everyone, is everyone happy so far with the ERA specific update released last week that fixes the pop and crackle issue?

I’m pretty happy. I’ve been trying to listen pretty hard for pops and crackling and have yet to encounter anything noticeable. I think we have a winner.

Userlevel 1

So, quick recap:

- Took SONOS 2 months to fix the issue (if it`s really fixed, time will tell)
- Pretty much no communication about acknowledging the issue, no regular status reports. Like this whole guessing game of which build number could be the right update, SONOS, have somebody communicate here! And no, trying to find something from some other users in this thread is not a proper means of communication. Make an announcement in the forum and stick it to the top.

I`ll think twice before immediately jumping on any new speakers the next time, looks like SONOS does it as many other companies that ship unripe bananas to the customer.