Answered

Sonos Arc Samsung Frame TV eARC not working

Userlevel 3

So I just set up the Sonos Arc soundbar that supports eARC. It works with my 2020 65" Frame TV until I change the eARC setting on the Frame TV to Auto. The sound mutes and I can't get it to play until I turn eARC off. Anyone else have this issue? I’ve messed around with this for a few hours to no avail. 

icon

Best answer by Ditte 22 January 2021, 17:53

View original

668 replies

Userlevel 5

Hi all,

A quick note from our dev team:

We are aware and monitoring an issue when connecting Sonos Arc to late model Samsung TVs via eARC. We are working closely with Samsung to resolve this and will share more as available.

All the best,

Ditte

Thanks for the update Ditte - lets hope people continue to use this thread to track the progress of this issue.

Hi Luke, yes this side… keeping a very keen eye otherwise I need to return 2 x Sonos Arc and Sub 3 and/or my Samsung TV’s. It has been 2 months already.  :fearful:

This post stands at 128 replies and 11951 views as of today (1 Sept).  There are a few other forums discussing the issue. 

Posted on here a month ago.  Had just purchase The Frame 75” and was about to purchase Arc but found this forum.   No one from Sonos responded so I purchased the HW-Q90R Samsung Harman Kardon 7.1.4ch Soundbar with Dolby Atmos.  Hooked it up and worked perfectly.

Thanks!

So I just set up the Sonos Arc soundbar that supports eARC. It works with my 2020 65" Frame TV until I change the eARC setting on the Frame TV to Auto. The sound mutes and I can't get it to play until I turn eARC off. Anyone else have this issue? I’ve messed around with this for a few hours to no avail. 

Any updates here?

Any updates here?

Hi all,

We are aware and monitoring an issue when connecting Sonos Arc to late model Samsung TVs via eARC. We are working closely with Samsung to resolve this and will share more as available.

All the best,

Ditte

Hi all,

All the best,

Ditte

Thanks Ditte.

I’m experiencing all the issues others have described in this thread.

I have an Arc, Sub (G3) and One SL x2 that I connected to a 2020 Samsung 65” Frame a couple of months ago.

Is there an estimated time frame for getting this issue resolved?

FIXED!

After hours on the phone with both Samsung and Sonos here's what we did to resolve this:

1) Ensure you're using an HDMI ARC cable. Not simply an HDMI cable. (My A/V guys used a standard HDMI cable and this was problem #1) Must be the Sonos (or other) specific HDMI Arc cable

2) Your TV should then recognize HDMI as an available audio output - Select Receiver (HDMI) as Sound Output

3) Settings -> Sound -> Expert Settings -> Turn HDMI-eARC Mode to "OFF"!

Voila. This should work.

Apparently, Samsung is not yet supporting Dolby Digital Plus but when you turn HDMI-eARC OFF (and are only using HDMI ARC) you are still getting Dolby 5.1 sound, which is still great. Unless you're using some particular gaming console, this audio quality should be sufficient. Sonos said that Samsung is workong on supporting this new full Dolby Digital Plus and are good about updates so hopefully that will come soon. For now, this should work.

Hope that helps and my hours spent troubleshooting today are helpful to someone else.

I’m experiencing the same problems. When turning off eArc, I do get a good quality surround sound, but not Dolby Atmos. Which is part of the reason I bought the whole setup. 
I’m considering returning the Sonos Arc, because beside this issue, I also have an issue with loss of sound after being turned off for the night (sound shutting off in 3 second intervals, which can only be fixed by temporarily taking out both the power cord and the HDMI cable). I’m so disappointed!

Userlevel 1

Another frustrated customer! Seems like the issue is definitely on the Samsung side and I imagine Sonos are just as in the dark as the rest of us!? Does mean the Sonos has to be returned as well as the TV though, while I look for a setup that actually works as advertised. @Ditte - I know it wasn’t that long ago that you posted an update, but do you have any idea at all whether this can be fixed in software at the Samsung end and whether they intend to do this? I will follow up with them of course direct, but they are much harder to engage than you guys! :)

I’m experiencing the same problems. When turning off eArc, I do get a good quality surround sound, but not Dolby Atmos. Which is part of the reason I bought the whole setup. 
I’m considering returning the Sonos Arc, because beside this issue, I also have an issue with loss of sound after being turned off for the night (sound shutting off in 3 second intervals, which can only be fixed by temporarily taking out both the power cord and the HDMI cable). I’m so disappointed!

Exactly the same issue (no Dolby Atmos as well as shutting down in 3 second intervals) happens to me :-(

Exactly the same issue (no Dolby Atmos as well as shutting down in 3 second intervals) happens to me :-(

Exact same with my Arc. No Atmos and power cut in out after being on standby overnight. 
What a disappointment. Sonos customer care - any update on a patch (Sonos or Samsung) for the eARC issue?

Same setup here. Couldn’t belive this can be a problem until i found this topic.

Unbelivable a standard is not implemented properly on one of the manufactures.
Spent 1000 of dollars to read this.
Solve it. NOW!

This is starting to be ridiculous, i spent $2500 on a tv and $1800 on a surround setup and neither can talk to each other correctly. if i could take them back i would but im out of return date on both so now im stuck with items that cut in and out 

+1

sonos arc Samsung frame 55

frustrated and eager for update. 

Userlevel 1

Just bought my 2020 65” Samsung the Frame yesterday. Hooked up to my Sonos arc via the e-arc port. Sound only works when ‘HDMI-eArc Mode’ is set to ‘off’. That said, when watching via Netflix app or other, Dolby atmos is an option, and when I open the Sonos app on my phone, it says playing Atmos?

So which is it? Why does the TV not work when HDMI eArc mode is set to auto? I am confused? Am I getting atmos with it set to off or not? 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Just bought my 2020 65” Samsung the Frame yesterday. Hooked up to my Sonos arc via the e-arc port. Sound only works when ‘HDMI-eArc Mode’ is set to ‘off’. That said, when watching via Netflix app or other, Dolby atmos is an option, and when I open the Sonos app on my phone, it says playing Atmos?

So which is it? Why does the TV not work when HDMI eArc mode is set to auto? I am confused? Am I getting atmos with it set to off or not? 

CAN someone please answer this. 

Does this mean that ATMOS is working compressed but not Uncompressed?

Userlevel 1

FIXED!

After hours on the phone with both Samsung and Sonos here's what we did to resolve this:

1) Ensure you're using an HDMI ARC cable. Not simply an HDMI cable. (My A/V guys used a standard HDMI cable and this was problem #1) Must be the Sonos (or other) specific HDMI Arc cable

2) Your TV should then recognize HDMI as an available audio output - Select Receiver (HDMI) as Sound Output

3) Settings -> Sound -> Expert Settings -> Turn HDMI-eARC Mode to "OFF"!

Voila. This should work.

Apparently, Samsung is not yet supporting Dolby Digital Plus but when you turn HDMI-eARC OFF (and are only using HDMI ARC) you are still getting Dolby 5.1 sound, which is still great. Unless you're using some particular gaming console, this audio quality should be sufficient. Sonos said that Samsung is workong on supporting this new full Dolby Digital Plus and are good about updates so hopefully that will come soon. For now, this should work.

Hope that helps and my hours spent troubleshooting today are helpful to someone else.

I mean sure, that works to give 5.1 surround or whatever it is, but the whole point of spending $3,000+ on the full system if ATMOS isnt WORKING!

Userlevel 1

I have the same issue, with The Frame 2020 and Sonos Arc. No sound when eArc setting is set to Auto. Samsung customer support could not help me. They did a HDMI reset and a factory reset, but nothing changed.

Any update on this?

Userlevel 1

According to this thread on the Samsung site, a fix is in progress but no ETA.  Recommend you voice your urgency there as well:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/potential-major-issue-with-2020-samsung-tv-s-with-one-connect/td-p/1857527/page/2

Userlevel 1

According to this thread on the Samsung site, a fix is in progress but no ETA.  Recommend you voice your urgency there as well:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/potential-major-issue-with-2020-samsung-tv-s-with-one-connect/td-p/1857527/page/2

Sounds interesting. They just updated 9 hours ago and said Samsung will be coming out with a softward update, not timeline though. 

Hi all,

All the best,

Ditte

By “late model” do you mean “most recent/2020 models” as this Issue is happening with 2020 75” Frame TVs.  

Same issue - literally just opened and set up a brand new 55” Samsung Frame 2020 and a brand new Sonos Arc. Incredible that this mismatch can get through, potentially costing Consumers thousands and wasting even more in returns and damaged products. I wait in anticipation for the fix @Ditte

@Ditte can you provide an update here? This thread is 3 months old and I’m sitting on about $4000 of high-end stuff that looks good, but doesn’t work.