Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

There is clearly more to this than Sonos is willing to admit. The silence (when playing blue-rays) is deafening! If it can not be implemented they should swallow their pride and admit it. While at my local Best Buy Magnolia store,I fell for the sales reps claim about how Sonos would be adding dts support and took the plunge. After purchasing a sub, playbar, 3 play 3s and a bridge (approx $2500.00) and setting it up I couldn't have been more pleased. That is until I threw in a blue-ray and was reminded I would need to hone my lip reading skills in order to enjoy just about all of our blue-rays. I had to ask myself if it was worth it and came to the conclusion that it wasn't.Following these threads and reading the smoke and mirrors responses from Sonos also helped tip the scales. So back into the boxes everything went and off to Best Buy I rode. Granted I knew about the lack of dts when I purchased the system however the rep had me convinced it would be addressed. Once there I explained my reason for the return and to my surprise the sales manager was dumbfounded regarding the dts issue. He called up the Sonos rep,who handles that store,and learned the brutal truth. At the end of the day I ended up keeping the system (they made me an offer I couldn't refuse) but I'm left with a bad taste in my mouth about how forthcoming Sonos is when it comes to this problem. If I were a betting man,Sonos supporting dts (with its current hardware) is one bet I wouldn't take. jmho
I purchased this unit as I have several other Sonos speakers and realized that it does not support DTS and have since returned it. Its stunning that my Denon receiver from 2002 supports DTS and the Sonos playbar does not.   Please add DTS soon else, I am in the market for this but will buy another product. 
Read through pages, but couldn't find a cliffs notes, so some noob questions:

- How common is DTS? Only found in Blu-Ray?
- If I have a Blu-Ray player, but play a regular DVD on it, will that play fine with the Sonos 5.1 (playbar, sub, two play 1s)?
- Without DTS, are people saying that the Sonos 5.1 "doesn't sound good"?
- How is the Sonos 5.1 if just watching Netflix through apple tv?
The missing DTS support is a absolutely deal breaker and unbelievable. The 5.1 feature of the playbar is totally useless for me as the playbar can not play half of my bluerays. Please Sonos don't wait 7 months to change this topic from “Under Consideration” to whatever. Clarify this topic now! Otherwise I have to buy another sound system.
I have play 3s, play 5s, a sub, and want a Playbar. I was prepared to pick it up today. I am thankful I didn't. I am contemplating returning the sub, as I am within the 30 return policy. I love the way Sonos sounds, but without DTS, I have other alternatives that I had ruled out. Please turn on DTS, and I will purchase a Playbar right away.
Userlevel 2
Badge
John M, is there any news or update you can share? It's been a month since the last post which didn't really tell us anything. Perhaps some questions will help; (1) How often do you review the under consideration issues? (2) Is this just a licensing issue? (3) When can we expect some change of status?
I purchased this unit as I have several other Sonos speakers and realized that it does not support DTS and have since returned it. Its stunning that my Denon receiver from 2002 supports DTS and the Sonos playbar does not.   Please add DTS soon else, I am in the market for this but will buy another product. 
Read through pages, but couldn't find a cliffs notes, so some noob questions:

- How common is DTS? Only found in Blu-Ray?

Fairly common, but the place you see it the most is in Blu-Ray and DVD playback. Sadly DTS isn't determined (solely) by the player, but by the actual disc itself and how the movie was encoded.

- If I have a Blu-Ray player, but play a regular DVD on it, will that play fine with the Sonos 5.1 (playbar, sub, two play 1s)?

Depends on the DVD, some will work, some won't. In theory it might not have audio at all (if DTS is the only audio encoding on the disc) but in practice that never actually happens, rather it will fallback on stereo or mono audio as most DVDs and Blu-Rays have a stereo (PCM) and 5.1 or 7.1 audio track.

- Without DTS, are people saying that the Sonos 5.1 "doesn't sound good"?

Basically yes, it will output stereo audio out of your "5.1" surround sound setup, so not really too much better than the speakers built into the TV. It will sound better than the average flat screen simply because the speakers in the average flat screen are terrible, but it falls well short of what a true 5.1 surround sound setup is capable of. Basically people are mad because their $1400 worth of audio equipment sounds like a $200 set of stereo speakers.

- How is the Sonos 5.1 if just watching Netflix through apple tv?

Probably fine. I'd need to confirm, but I don't think Netflix has DTS audio output. On the other hand, you're probably once again not getting the full 5.1 experience, so you could probably save a ton of money and buy something cheaper and get just as good of an audio experience.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
My concern here is that Sonos may see the first month of sales and decide that the product is doing just fine without DTS and they don't need to add it. They will have had target sales numbers in mind and, if they are reached, they won't perceive a problem with the product reaching their intended target market and simply won't add the extra function. As with other comments above, I've now lost count of how many people I have actually recommend do not buy this product due to the limitation. It seems to me that you either have a TV set that won't pass through Dolby Digital/DTS from external sources, at which point adding 2 X PLAY:3 and a SUB is perhaps a waste of money. Or you have a TV that will pass through audio bitstreams and then, if you put on a DTS disc, you end up with silence - and have wasted your money. If this product was only designed for those who didn't appreciate high quality surround sound, then why did they put in all the time making the PLAY:3 units work as surround speakers? There is now a TV advert showing in the UK for PLAYBAR that makes numerous claims and implies it will play any music in the world. Well, it won't if that music is coming from a DTS disc, will it?
Please add DTS. Last month I purchased the playbar and two of the play3s. This is my first venture into surround sound and as soon as i heard you could do this wireless with sonos i invested. When I get 5.1 through my tv it sounds like nothing I'd experienced at home before, I love it! To be honest I'd never heard of DTS and so fhis wasn't an issue I'd considered until I played my first bluray and was hoping to be blown away again until a few minutes in and I could instantly tell the sound was off, even to my untrained ears. I tried the surround sound settings on the app & all seemed fine until I checked the info screen & saw 2.0 input. Only my older blu rays have DD 5.1, all my latest blu ray releases are DTS and sound disappointingly flat on my new sonos set up. It's a real shame. I'm avoiding playing my blu rays right now as it guts me to think I've just spent so much and I don't get the benefit of surround sound on my favorite movies. Please add the DTS settings to the software in your next update.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I agree, the silence is as deafening as a DTS movie through a Playbar
Please add DTS gk 06apr13
Userlevel 2
I'm a new customer to Sonos since two weeks, when I bought the Play 5, but im considering a playbar with sub. However since there's no DTS support I'm thinking of buying something else... Please give a heads up on how far the development is regarding DTS support for the playbar. So excisting and new customer know what they can expect!
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
So,so,so annoying. I love this Sonos system but they must know if it is possible by now to implement DTS AND Dolby digital plus( let's not forget there is a problem with this also) I fear that the length of silence means there is a problem and they do not know how to inform all the playbar owners like me who check this forum almost every day hoping for some good news. Instead of developing yet more products as suitable for surround use(play 1) there should have been more effort in resolving a fundamental problem like this.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Sonos Playbar users are really need DTS! Please Sonos all we want for christmas is DTS support for the Playbar! Listen to your customers!
Userlevel 1
This is exactly the issue. Tonight we plan to watch a film recently released on Blu-ray. But we can only watch it with stereo sound, because as with most Blu-rays it has DTS soundtrack only. If we watch the film with DTS output from Blu-ray player we get silence. Its a little frustrating to say the least.
Add my name to the list. Waiting for DTS support before I buy.
It's a shame DTS is not supported. The sonos solution is really great, but the lack of DTS support actually makes me consider other solutions right now...
i can't watch most of my movies which are in DTS only!

DTS please!
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I admire those who have taken the option to return the product during the approval period. If you don't buy, and post here to explain why, this may encourage Sonos to implement DTS. I you do buy and you return it, explaining why, this makes a true statement. But if you buy the product, aren't happy with the lack of DTS support but then keep it - you're effectively a satisfied customer. There are ideas on this site, with more votes than DTS, that are now over 7 months old. Which are Sonos likely going to implement first? If you think they will add DTS support soon, you may be in for a long wait.
Sign me up for a software update for DTS
Another one here waiting for dts and possibly another connection before committing to the playbar and sub, love my sonos and planned to change my 6.1 kef set up to Sonos to keep the wife happy. No dts, no playbar.
Badge
Me too please !! For such a great unit it is an obvious oversight!!! I didn't realise it didn't do DTS....why wouldn't it?  Please guys get it done!!!!!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
this is what Playbar V2 should do:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/arcam-solo-bar-plus-solo-sub-review