Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Will buy playbar and sub if DTS support confirmed for firmware upgrade. Otherwise it's the B&W Panorama 2!
After watching a few movies on the Sonos Soundbar w/ 3's for surrounds the lack of DTS is really killing it. The re-encoded surround sound in very week and inconsistent. Please just give us an update for this. This will be making its way back to you unless I hear something soon.
Dear Sonos, just tell me you have DTS planned and I will Order tommorrow a playbar and a Sub. I can wait a couple weeks for this feature but I have to be sure its coming. Thanks in advance.
This reply has been removed by Sonos: 

So for me everything worked out great, I hate to write but i have to share this with you guys, so i was aware of the whole dts situation of the system but then i still bought the system because i found some software that convert movies from dts to dd5.1. Just one week earlier i bought a Sony KDL-50W656 TV because it finally can play MKV files and so on. So what happened NOW is crazy because i did a research online for about 3 weeks, didnt find anything and then had the luck to find out by myself just like that.. that TV not only passtrough the dd5.1 signal but if i open a MKV file with DTS or any other audio it sends it out by optical in dd5.1 so EVERY DTS Movie i have plays in full DTS quality on my Sonos System!!! This is really true, and real dolby digital 5.1 no pcm or any other shit. from dts to 5.1. I havent tried over hdmi, this was with files in my network. I am fuckin happy like hell!!! i tried it with some dts test files in mts with mkv and other files
I agree - its really surprising that a premium priced soundbar is missing DTS decoding thats included on even the most bargain basement priced all-in-one solutions. However, also consider that the Playbar also includes all the Sonos innards that are missing from a cheaper soundbars to 'Sonosify' it. You need to compare the price of a decent 'regular' soundbar plus a Sonos Connect to make a fair comparison.

But that's sort of at the root of the issue, it feels like Sonos is dabbling in a market they aren't actually prepared for. Sonos as a home music system is great, hands down one of the best products out there. Sonos as a 5.1 surround sound theater system is a train wreck. Sonos made the choice to move into the home theater market, but they did it tentatively, and even now they don't really want to commit to it. They've gone on record saying they don't want to have HDMI inputs on their devices because they don't want to deal with video, they're purely an audio shop, which is fine and all, but if that was the case they never should have dipped their toes in the home theater market.

The current sub-par state of Sonos as a home theater setup is entirely due to their pussyfooting around and not really committing to supporting that market, they either need to go whole hog and do a proper sound bar complete with HDMI inputs and DTS, or else back out of the market. At this point if Sonos isn't careful the market is going to make the choice for them as their competitors expand their already decent home theater products into the home audio market and start to erode Sonos core product. It's a shame to see how badly they've blown this because the Playbar could have opened up a whole new market for Sonos, but instead it faceplanted right out of the gate.

Honestly even the Playbar could have been OK if they had marketed it right and sold it at the proper price-point. Where Sonos screwed up was pushing it as a 5.1 solution which it very much isn't. As a 3.1 or purely as a soundbar it isn't too bad, but it simply lacks the necessary features to go toe to toe with a true 5.1 surround sound theater system. From the standpoint of a soundbar, even the poorest of options out competes the Playbar in features (most of them have bluetooth support among other things) and fairly decent ones can be purchased around a $350 pricepoint, which is a shame because with just a few minor tweaks the Playbar could have easily trounced even a $1500 soundbar like the one you mentioned.
Please add DTS support.
I was on the verge of buying the Playbar until I researched beyond the rave reviews and found out it lacks DTS support. If I spend that much money on a comfortable solution that sounds great, I want a comfortable solution (i.e. one that is able to play any current sound format) that sounds great (i.e. without downmixing to 2.0 by the TV). I planned to extend the setup to 5.1 some time. Now that I know this doesn't make much sense I'll keep my money. I'll get my annual bonus next month, and it's a shame that the Playbar is a no-buy until it has DTS support.
I agree, the silence is as deafening as a DTS movie through a Playbar
Touché
My turn. Please add me to the list. I ordered Playbar and the Sub and cancelled the order upon learning that it does not support DTS. Very disappointing given that my Denon receiver of 12 years supports DTS.  I will be looking elsewhere unless some indication is made soon. 
I have been following this thread for years on and off. At the same time I have been keeping an eye on the Play-Fi technology.

http://listen.dts.com/pages/play-fi

I see this as a major threat to SONOS and its market share over the next couple of years.

I have a SONOS setup for Audio and Multiroom, AND a DTS, Dolby 5.1 setup. In the lounge room a SONOS Connect site next to a 5.1 HT system. Crazy!!!!

I want to get rid of my current HT system and replace it with SONOS. However, with the lack of DTS support and just general lack of HT direction im not willing to invest further in SONOS.

Play-Fi is gaining some real momentum and investment.

Could be interesting times over the next couple of years.

SONOS I would get a move on.

I don't want to move over to another vendor but I would have to seriously consider it if they can compete with Audio quality, Multiroom with the added benefit of a proper Home Theater offering.
I have a very satisfactory solution. I have playbar the SUB and 2 play 3. I bought a Samsung blu ray player that can stream audio bitstream re-encode in Dolby. Playbar recognizes the signal and indicates dolby digital 5.1. Rendering a DTS HD track is very good. As good in any case by choosing an audio track in another language in Dolby. Tested with the film The Town
Please add DTS gk 06apr13
Still waiting before buy ... 😞 gk 18mai13
I was about to purchase a sound bar. However, I hadn't realised that Sonos don't support DTS. Staggering omission and for this reason I will not be making a purchase till the format is supported.
Count me on needing DTS to pull trigger on a Playbar. Yes my new plasma merely passes PCM stereo thru its optical digital out, but my new Xbox1 passes DTS via its optical...but not DD, ugh. Meanwhile the plasma does pass uncompressed 5.1 via HDMI ARC...but SONOS lacks that too. With more & more TVs dropping optical outs, more & more people will be either buying soundbars with HDMI or using an Xbone to feed the audio signal. So it behooves Sonos to play nice with Xbox...meaning bring DTS processing to Playbar fast. I'm loving my pair of Play:1's & was chomping at the bit for the Playbar & Sub, but now I'm in the market for a soundbar with DTS processing.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I have a very satisfactory solution. I have playbar the SUB and 2 play 3. I bought a Samsung blu ray player that can stream audio bitstream re-encode in Dolby. Playbar recognizes the signal and indicates dolby digital 5.1. Rendering a DTS HD track is very good. As good in any case by choosing an audio track in another language in Dolby. Tested with the film The Town
Sorry, you are incorrect. Some blu-ray discs provide a "secondary audio" capability. This outputs an alternative audio track that is provided on the disc. For Dolby True HD discs, the secondary audio is in Dolby Digital - for those with older amplifiers without HDMI connection. For DTS-MA discs, the secondary audio will be either in Dolby Digital or in DTS. On The Town, the secondary audio track will likely be Dolby digital. The player can then output this and it will work with PLAYBAR. However, with discs like Superman blu-ray, Secondary Audio is in DTS. The player will not "convert" the audio, and PLAYBAR will emit silence. Your player is not helping here, only your choice of movie.
It's truly depressing to find out that something as basic as DTS is not supported. If Sonos doesn't step up really soon and commit itself to delivering this feature, the Playbar and Sub will end their days on eBay and I'll start buying equipment from another vendor. Having spent two grand on the Sonos equipment for the TV only to discover that you need to downmix to 2.0 PCM to get any sound at all is literally outrageous. What a scam.
Put simply a £600 sound bar without DTS is out of date. A firmware update would put this right. A hardware update leaving thousands of customers in the dark is very, very wrong. Please help us Sonos. Sincerely Every single Playbar owner around the World.
I want DTS support as well, so please add it ASAP.  
+1

Likely wasting my time but the lack of DTS is my one gripe with Sonos.

I have a fair few modern films and TV series on Bluray. Most of them dont have an option to select english 5.1 meaning I have a £1500 surround sound system that outputs in Stereo even when connected directly to my PS4 over an optical connection. Yes Neflix is great in 5.1 but I want to watch physical disks too.

I wish I knew the stats but just from searching these forums a huge percentage of playbar owners must be crying out for this functionality.

Please Sonos reconsider, its not acceptable to expect every playbar owner who wants this level of functionality to purchase converters or specific models of bluray players to get around the issue.
I tested with and without the function of re-encoding in Dolby. Whitout I have no sound and with this function I have the sound in Dolby in the playbar and dts track is selected on the player.
Add my name to the list. Waiting for DTS support before I buy.
Here is my vote for DTS support.  However, I suspect that there must be a technical reason why this cannot be updated via firmware.  Even the most basic online research regarding the Playbar, reveals that both promoters and detractors alike see this as a huge limitation and are very disappointed.  The demand for DTS support is so overwhelming that cost cannot be the issue.  Otherwise, you would have thrown money at this problem and silenced the terrible press on this issue.  The only other thing that makes any sense to me would be some inconsistency between the current (yet widely ignored) company suggestion for sourcing the audio directly from the TV which is often abandoned when people find out that their TV does not pass through 5.1 DD from external HDMI sources via optical and the fact that even fewer TV's (if any) pass DTS via optical.
I want DTS support as well, so please add it ASAP.  
which samsung player have you bought?
If the playbar supports dts I'll by two play 3s in addition. Otherwise I might sell my playbar on ebay and by another 5.1 system...