Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Please can you add DTS decoding to the play bar
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Fully agree. The new ask sonos layout does a good job of hiding comment streams, although maybe this is not due to Sonos but Get Satisfaction who run the site ? A statement would be good to confirm this
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
DTS support come on Sonos we waiting far too long now!!!
Badge
I was doing some pre-purchase homework when I suddenly found out that the Playbar does not support DTS. It is that a piece of audio equipment at this price doesn't support a widely-used format like DTS. I'm putting my purchase on hold until Sonos corrects this glaring error. My plans were for two Playbar units, two subs, and two sets of Play 3s. Sonos, your customers don't even have to be snobby audiophiles to see that the lack of DTS support is an omission which makes the Playbar suddenly become a second-tier choice. The economics of this are obvious to us... please change this as soon as possible. Thanks!
Userlevel 2
Yes please. DTS for those of us with movies stored on blue ray discs or a NAS.
The new ask sonus Layout is not user friendly to see the last comments added to this forum.
Sonus is not making any comments on the progress for DTS support.
I have started looking in to different products in the market  which have support for DTS, DTS-HD, Dolby-True HD.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
DTS support is a key feature that really is needed if the Playbar is to be sold as a surround-sound product. It is a clear oversight and will continue to cause issues that require an unnecessary degree of knowledge about the issue to work around it and also limits the partnering equipment significantly in order to produce a working solution.
Badge +1
Love true DD from sonos playbar 5.1, but due to its limitations and sonos trying to make it "simple" they have ironically made it pretty difficult to get the best out of there products. Would I spend £1700 again no....will I sell my set up no. The work arounds are 100% necessary because stereo/faux 5.1 is terrible but when it's good it's outstanding.....my TV does pass DTS through optical
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I have a very satisfactory solution. I have playbar the SUB and 2 play 3. I bought a Samsung blu ray player that can stream audio bitstream re-encode in Dolby. Playbar recognizes the signal and indicates dolby digital 5.1. Rendering a DTS HD track is very good. As good in any case by choosing an audio track in another language in Dolby. Tested with the film The Town
1) I did look at the table on page 10, that's why I am saying you are wrong. Look at the section labelled "Audio Stream on DVD" and follow the DTS row. Output is DTS. 5) My point is that this is a blu-ray player, it won't play the files stored on people HDD and NAS devices that people wish to play - and it certainly won't play them in Dolby Digital. You seem to be trying to fix a problem that you don't understand. On top of that, you are proposing solutions that don't work and don't even have the right connector on. To top it all, the Amazon reviews for that model of blu-ray player are terrible. Apparently it hangs all the time during playback and needs to be rebooted. Out of interest, which Make/Model of TV do you have?
I was very happy that Sonos released a Soundbar. Due to our relocation in september, i was looking für a multiroom solution. 2 companies are in my focus, Teufel with "Raumfeld" and Sonos. I have many Blurays and MKV's, so i need support of DTS. Until now, only Teufel supports DTS. I prefer the Sonos software, but if Sonos doesn't support DTS in the future, all Home-Theater und Bluray User are forced to look for alternatives. I think the main problem is that Sonos has thought only of the normal TV program, but that's only a very small area of use... Considering the price, a very shameful situation, especially because of the support of DTS in newer Samsung Smart-TV's and the statement "PLAYBAR understands common audio output formats from TVs"... That's simply not true
Yes the new ask sonos layout is crap! It's nearly impossible to see last added replies. I don't want to click "View more..." 1000 times. Who is designing things like this?!
Userlevel 1
I've contacted Techradar and Whathifi and gave them the link to this thread. It's a shame Sonos...
Ryan, is there a reason why DTS will not be supported? I have just bought my first Sonos speaker and have been considering purchasing a Sonos 5.1 HT system.
I have a very satisfactory solution. I have playbar the SUB and 2 play 3. I bought a Samsung blu ray player that can stream audio bitstream re-encode in Dolby. Playbar recognizes the signal and indicates dolby digital 5.1. Rendering a DTS HD track is very good. As good in any case by choosing an audio track in another language in Dolby. Tested with the film The Town
must follow the line dts "audio stream on Blu Ray" (not dvd) until the last column (bitstream dolby re-encode) I just watched a movie that offers only the DTS and the surround is very good. No problem with my player which is connected to a videoprojector (epson tw3200) 5) I'm ok with you for this point. My solution work only with a blu ray
+1 from me on this. In fact, such was my confidence that Sonos know how to build a good product, I didn't even check that the Playbar supported DTS as I assumed (perhaps naïvely) it would. Now, having parted with my hard earned cash, I can't play DTS from my bluray or MKV collection. Not happy about this so I look forward to the update.
Userlevel 2
@Ryan: there's no real technical reason but it's more likely financial as DTS requires licences which they obviously didn't plan in their business case because it would either draw down their margins or raise the actual product price.
Now, they are being confronted with two options:
- Lose money and implement DTS and take the loss for the greater good and their customers satisfaction
- Keep their money and don't take into consideration what their customers want,

Actually, there would be a third option although it might be a bit more challenging and technical to put into practice but it has been mentioned a few times in here:
- Make this feature purchasable via in-app purchase

Although, this might feel like a rip-off for customers, this solution would, at least, allow for those who see it as a must and willing to pay to upgrade their current installation.

Now, now, there might be some technical aspects to it as well, but if they have not pronounced themselves yet while so many people have been complaining, my opinion is that it's more financially related than anything else.

They have a vision with their SONOS Playbar which os a little bit over anticipating on the market development of set-top box like Apple TV, Roku and many others. I believe their vision is right but as long as these have not completely democratized, Blu-Rays (and DTS) will still find a warm and comfy play in the home of many households.

In my opinion, the debate on DTS-HD, Dolby-True and other higher standards is a non sense. Their product clearly does not address this market/audience and most likely will not prevent anyone from enjoying their movie as any Blu-Ray that include the above would most likely include a DTS track. Now, if lack of Dolby Digital track on Blu-Rays tend to generalize, it means one can found himself with no sound when playing his movie and this should not be acceptable from a company's perspective.

Now, my reasoning stands from the perspective of someone who has already expectations above the general crowd while, I guess, most would be satisfied with virtual up-mixing of 5.1 audio tracks. Hell, if it had not been for following Sonos forums and having recently bought a HDMI pass-thru TV and having tried true DD, I would have been more than satisfied with the sound my Playbar produces compared to my TV speakers as it turns to be my first audio setup.

I'm receiving my two Play:1s today and got myself a Sony Bravia HDMI pass-thru TV so, let's hope SONOS makes a positive statement soon whether it includes additional costs or not. But, please do not make it a year to make such a decision...
Userlevel 2
I bought my first Sonos Play1 for listening to music, which was absolutely brilliantly impressive.

Having been so impressed I then decided to purchase the play bar, sub and an additional Play1 to get 5.1 for TV/Movies. Having spent an extra £1,400 to achieve this you can imagine my disappointment to find out that virtually NONE of my MKV files play in proper surround sound. I have a large video library which is on a media server for streaming, of which the VAST MAJORITY are ripped for audio using DTS.

I thought the whole deal with Sonos is that it is designing high quality, modern technology. Not supporting DTS audio streams seems like a majorly limiting oversight and/or mistake.

This actually makes me angry as I cannot return these products as they 'technically' are not defective. OK, I accept that on my part I 'should' have checked for compliance from Sonos for DTS before purchasing, however, seeing as virtually every other device (also many from much cheaper budget type manufacturers) on the market do, I simply wouldn't have believed Sonos didn't.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Ryan, is there a reason why DTS will not be supported? I have just bought my first Sonos speaker and have been considering purchasing a Sonos 5.1 HT system.

There absolutely are reasons and we've talked about them in this thread a little higher up. In the end, it came down to there just not being that many TVs which pass DTS through optical from HDMI sources.The PLAYBAR wasn't designed with DTS in mind and we've found that Dolby Digital 5.1 has a great surround experience which a lot of TVs and other devices can pass through optical to Sonos.

If you're interested in testing it out, we offer a 45 day money back guaranty for all units purchased directly through our shop (http://www.sonos.com/shop). You're welcome to try it out in your home and see if it's a good fit.
Userlevel 1
Alright. Picking up my Playbar and TV this Friday from Best Buy/Magnolia. Sonos has 29 days from that date to announce DTS support, else I'm returning the Playbar and going with a Martin Logan. More expensive? Yes. But it supports everything. And if they think yah yah whatever he'll just shrug and forget: calendar reminder is set. I don't invest that kind of money in a device that I'm planning on keeping at least 5-7 years that can't play the full range of audio from my HD Library. Sonos needs to understand that this is an absolute deal killer for the home theatre market. And it won't blow over. Give us an announcement and we will shut up and throw money at you.
+1 from me on this. I bought the whole surround set, even had to wait a long time for it due to short stack, was very curious about the new movie experience ..... and never spent a thought this 2'500.- SFr. System wouldn't support DTS ....... what a shock now. I guess 90% of my movie collection has DTS sound and for now it sounds (if, with ac3 or stereo conversion and sonos-made virtuall surround) like mickeymouse compared to a movie with DD5.1. The real pain is to hear what the system is able to when watching a DD5.1 movie or hear music..... Without DTS my setup is a brick as a to date surround system, i will not recommend as long as DTS support is missing...
Userlevel 2
Correct me if I'm wrong but can't one just set the BluRay player to decode the DTS track and output PCM to the tv? Bingo, you'll get audio from BluRay to the Playbar. No, it won't be the bitstream DTS track which is preferable. But at least it's not silence. As to how well Sonos mimics surround sound from this stereo feed, it's a matter of personal taste. I find it adequate. YMMV.
Badge
SONOS, after 4 months, you lost me as a supporter.

I tried all the workarounds for DTS, and other formats, but it's just a hassle and quite frankly arcane and annoying to deal with.

For anyone wondering, there is a newish 5.1 full wireless system out there from Sony, called the HT RT5. It has 3 HDMI inputs, and supports:
This is all way to annoying to deal with.

Sold my bar and two play 1s and picked up a Sony HT-RT5. It's a fully wireless 5.1 system, and supports
DTS 96/24,
DTS HD
DolbyTruHD
Dolby Digital+
Dolby Digital/DTS
Dolby Dual Mono
LPCM (2CH/5.1CH/7.1CH) through HDMI

Sorry SONOS, but the play bar with its limitations is just too annoying to deal with.
Yes, decoding DTS is a must - please add it asap!
+1 from me too. Will return mine and review any further purchases until it supports DTS.
I was planning to buy a Playbar because I assumed it would be awesome just like the rest of my Sonos speakers.  After much research it appears to be an overpriced and under developed option.   I found other options for half the price.  I would love to invest in PlayBar II if it is a more robust product!