Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

I want dts support also - come on Sonos. Wake up!!!!!
Badge +1
+1

Likely wasting my time but the lack of DTS is my one gripe with Sonos.

I have a fair few modern films and TV series on Bluray. Most of them dont have an option to select english 5.1 meaning I have a £1500 surround sound system that outputs in Stereo even when connected directly to my PS4 over an optical connection. Yes Neflix is great in 5.1 but I want to watch physical disks too.

I wish I knew the stats but just from searching these forums a huge percentage of playbar owners must be crying out for this functionality.

Please Sonos reconsider, its not acceptable to expect every playbar owner who wants this level of functionality to purchase converters or specific models of bluray players to get around the issue.

The ps4 will convert dts audio to dd 5.1 when connecting through optical on the ps4. Have a look on the net n you will find the set up process
I have a very satisfactory solution. I have playbar the SUB and 2 play 3. I bought a Samsung blu ray player that can stream audio bitstream re-encode in Dolby. Playbar recognizes the signal and indicates dolby digital 5.1. Rendering a DTS HD track is very good. As good in any case by choosing an audio track in another language in Dolby. Tested with the film The Town
BD-F5100 Look the manual : http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201303/20130305105046122/IB_BD-F5100_XU-0304_BM.pdf
DTS is a deal breaker for me, Im consider to buy sonos system to my whole house, starting with living room and my kids room. But without DTS I cannot watch most of my ripped movies, so no DTS no Sonos.
Userlevel 2
This really is getting very frustrating. How many more votes and pissed off comments from loyal customers will it take to get a proper answer??

I received the Play 1 launch email this morning, which is something along with playbar and sub that I would seriously consider adding to my existing sonos setup... However this won't happen until DTS is supported, as it will leave me with numerous BluRays that won't play with proper sound.

Over the years I have routinely raved to family and friends about how great Sonos is, it was recommendation that got me to into it. Up until now I have nothing but good things to say, but the complete lack of a decent response on this is really starting to annoy me and the other 878 followers on this post.

For the first time I now have to caveat my recommendation of Sonos with a 'but' it doesn't do something, where as before I had nothing but praise...
Dear all,

there is a workaround when you are using an HTPC with XBMC. XBMC (I used version Frodo 12.3) can transcode any DTS stream into AC3 and send it to the Playbar. This way we have true Surround on all of our movies and nothing "fake".

Settings are easy. In Audio settings choose Output HDMI (although Optical is used!!!) and only choose that your receiver (Playbar) supports AC3. All other content will then be transcoded "on the fly in real time" into AC3.

I successfully used it with numerous MKV and different audio formats! IT IS WORKING!

Btw....we ordered a Switch for SPDIF to get full surround for all our devices, because our TV will only offer Stereo via SPDIF.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=AudioEngine/HOW-TO:_Configure_audio

This part is important....

Note: If you want to transcode one format to another, for example DTS is not supported on your receiver but AC3 is, then select just AC3 however as the DTS is decoded to LPCM before being encoded again to AC3 then the resulting audio will be AC3 2.0 only due to the LPCM 2.0 limit imposed by selecting Optical/Coax, if you want a full 5.1 channel transcode you'll have to select the HDMI option even if you're not using a HDMI output.

It is a pity, that Sonos is doing nothing for the last 11 months especially not in this Thread! No reaction except for some short responses. No Updates, no actual state, nothing like "we are working on it and have the following problems"....If it is not working or you have problems solving it, tell the poeple at least that you try.
I have a very satisfactory solution. I have playbar the SUB and 2 play 3. I bought a Samsung blu ray player that can stream audio bitstream re-encode in Dolby. Playbar recognizes the signal and indicates dolby digital 5.1. Rendering a DTS HD track is very good. As good in any case by choosing an audio track in another language in Dolby. Tested with the film The Town
As Ben indicated, this is not a solution.
No DTS is preventing me from buying this right now. I don't want to have to check blurays or downloaded files for sound-standart before i can enjoy them. I want my system to be able to support everything. Please add DTS!
Userlevel 1
Neither DTS is available, nor further information about any intensions - sad.

With the new ask.sonos web design it's now almost impossible to see the last 10-20 comments in a longer conversation. Disappointing. Please add at least a sort order - otherwise you would think it's on purpose...
Another example of a Sonos thread gone quiet (from Sonos's side).  

It's a strange one, having an outlet for people who have invested in Sonos kit to raise this issue is excellent.  For Sonos to effectively ignore the user base creates a far worse feeling then to have not even bothered to provide the means to raise such issue.  At least then, you know where you stand… 

In today's social world the voice of its customers is a powerful thing. A cynic might say they want to keep these threads going on ask.sonos so that all this discussion isn't taking place in the general public line of sight (twitter and Facebook).  

I see a few people have posted comments on FB.. It might be more productive not posting the comments direct to Sonos, but providing a helpful service to other FB users by responding to other FB user's comments on the Sonos page informing them of shortcomings prior to purchase.  Because as most of us know, these things are in the fine print and are often discovered a little too late.

Sonos. Please do the right thing and at least give fair and frequent response to your customers in these threads.
Userlevel 1
Badge
DTS support please
Userlevel 1
Having to buy another piece of equipment to make up for no DTS support on a $700 soundbar is not a solution. It is an inconvienient workaround at best and it should not be necessary when working with a high quality product.
Userlevel 2
Ich bin eben sehr enttäuscht darüber, das auf meiner Sonos Playbar (ein 699€ Gerät) kein DTS ermöglicht und realisiert wurde. Bitte tun Sie was dagegen und geben Sie es frei. Das ist nicht auszuhalten wenn sie das nicht supporten.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
as an aside whilst I wait for Sonos to fix this, with this new style forum can anyone explain to me how I can reach these new comments at the end of this conversation without having to click 'View More' 30 times ?  I'm 'following' this idea but dont receive any mails for it either 😞
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
The most important update for the Sonos Playbar is DTS support, please Sonos make it happend, not alone for me but for all of your customers!
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
User457346 (with the Samsung Player), Sorry, I must say again, this is not a solution. 1) From page 6 of the user manual: Audio output from a DTS DVD is DTS, not Dolby Digital. Therefore PLAYBAR will produced "unsupported" silence when playing a DTS DVD. 2) From page 11 on the user manual: "If the HDMI device (AV receiver, TV) is not compatible with compressed formats (Dolby Digital, DTS), the audio signal outputs as PCM." Therefore PLAYBAR will receive a 2-channel stereo signal, not 5.1. 3) From page 11 on the user manual: "If your TV is not compatible with compressed multi-channel formats (Dolby Digital, DTS), the player may output PCM 2ch downmixed audio even though you selected Bitstream (either Reencoded or Unprocessed) in the setup menu" Therefore PLAYBAR may receive a 2-channel stereo signal, not 5.1. 4 )From page 19 of the user manual: Specifications - Digital Audio Output - Coaxial. PLAYBAR requires an optical input. 5) This only helps blu-ray sources, it won't help those with ripped blu-ray files or DVDs that have been encoded in DTS format.
Userlevel 1
Hello Sonos, we are waiting for DTS support - what are you waiting for?
All in for DTS support I really do like the sonos systems and have it throughout my house and have just today bought the sound bar and 2 play 1's for rear speakers for  5.1 (already got the sub). Only just read about the no DTS not even plugged it in yet so will have to check all my media.

**************************      Please add DTS     *******************************  
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
DTS support is a key feature that really is needed if the Playbar is to be sold as a surround-sound product. It is a clear oversight and will continue to cause issues that require an unnecessary degree of knowledge about the issue to work around it and also limits the partnering equipment significantly in order to produce a working solution.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
We’re sorry to hear that the PLAYBAR wasn’t the right fit. For the future, we have some good suggestions for how to convert DTS audio if you have a lot of DTS only content. We recommend using a Blu-ray player or game system which you use to convert the audio from DTS to Dolby Digital to get 5.1 audio to the PLAYBAR.

Example Blu-ray players which will convert the audio on the fly include the Samsung BD-F6500, Samsung BD-F5900, and Samsung BD-F5700. An Xbox or PlayStation4 can also be used to convert DTS from Blu-rays to Dolby Digital. You can also find a lot of suggestions around the community, including a few in this thread to other workarounds too.

We know that if DTS is key to your home theater experience, the PLAYBAR may not be the right sound bar for your home. Though we don’t have plans to add DTS support at this time, we’re continually improving the Sonos system in other ways through free software updates.
1) you must look at the table on page 10 5) I agree. but even with a blu ray only with DTS tracks it works perfectly with a 5.1 sound.
Me too, having just invested heavily in Sonos for the whole house in our new build project. With 2 x Play 3's, Playbar, Sub, Connect, Connect AMP. I was very disappointed to learn after spending the money that Sonos does not Support DTS. I know there are work arounds with HDMI Switches and things, but the reason for buying a premium System is its simplicity and seamless integration. Come On Sonos, get a grip and do the right thing and have DTS support for the play bar! Martin
Userlevel 1
as an aside whilst I wait for Sonos to fix this, with this new style forum can anyone explain to me how I can reach these new comments at the end of this conversation without having to click 'View More' 30 times ?  I'm 'following' this idea but dont receive any mails for it either :-(

agreed - I just did that to see the latest comments.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
DTS support is a key feature that really is needed if the Playbar is to be sold as a surround-sound product. It is a clear oversight and will continue to cause issues that require an unnecessary degree of knowledge about the issue to work around it and also limits the partnering equipment significantly in order to produce a working solution.
+1 on DTS support 🙂