Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

I would also like to add my frustration to the mix as a video projector user.

As much as I'd love to get rid of wires in my home theatre the current relic setup of being tied to a TV up front is infuriating as all of my equipment excluding the front speakers are situated by the projector at the back of the room and all sources are out of necessity connected via HDMI to my Denon AV amp for source switching as my projector has only two HDMI inputs and I have four sources (ATV, PS3, XBOX, MacMini).

What us projector users would need is a fictional product Sonos AV-CONNECT 4K HDMI switch/audio decoder/Sonos controller which could take the HDMI-inputs of various devices, switch the video (up to 4K) to external display devices like a projector and decode DD/DTS7.1 and relay that to the relevant mix of wireless Sonos speakers in the room that form the 5.1 or 7.1 home theater.

I would love to have playbar & sub upfront and four 1's as the satellites wirelessly, but with the current TV-centric product it's a total miss on Sonos side 😞
Userlevel 1
Badge
I am thoroughly in favour of DTS being added to the Playbar, and if Sonos really believed that people would buy this and be happy connecting it to the TV and not even getting Dolby Digital 5.1(which, although the Playbar can decode, most TV's won't pass through the signal for it to do so), then that suggests a flaw in the market research that was done before deciding on the appropriate inputs/capability. That said, some people on here do seem to be suggesting that Blu-rays with DTS-only soundtracks are silent and redundant, when that does not need to be the case. You can get sound from Blu-ray with a DTS-HD soundtrack by connecting the BD player directly to the Playbar and then setting the BD player to output PCM via optical whenever the disc only has a DTS signal (ie it should not be necessary to persistently switch the BD player's output). The Playbar then takes the PCM signal and attempts to recreate the surround effects. Now before the audiophiles start shouting, I'm not saying this is the same as true 5.1, and clearly DTS-HD should be added to the Playbar's capability, but at least it means that Blu-ray discs are not entirely redundant, as some appear to be suggesting. I have yet to be able to properly compare the recreated sound with the sound from Dolby Digital soundtracks, and I assume there will be a significant drop-off in terms of surround effects, but it is at least a stop-gap whilst we wait for Sonos to bit the bullet and upgrade to DTS...
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
It seems to me that Sonos have made a serious miscalculation with the lack of support for DTS. I have also recently purchased a full SONOS surround system to go with my new series 7 Samsung TV. Instead of being a simple connection as described in the PlayBar promotion I have had to connect my external devices and TV through an external optical switch box to be able to enjoy DD5.1. That was the first compromise. The second is that, (as most people who purchase this system), we are looking for top quality image and sound and will therefore be using BluRay discs as a regular source. The vast majority of these discs are only encoded in DTS and therefore even through an external switch, "the sound will be downgraded" On a positive note... For those of us who own a PS3 Slim I have found that with certain settings, the PS3 will output DD5.1 even from a DTS only Bluray. Step 1. under settings/sound settings/audio output choose Optical Digital Next choose the audio output formats and ensure that Dolby Digital 5.1 is checked in the list and save the settings Step 2. under settings/Video Settings/BD Audio Output Format (Optical Digital) choose Bitstream (Mix) This setting converts all PS3 sounds to DD5.1 The "about my system" status in the SONOS app reports DD5.1 input, even from DTS BluRay with this combination. Whilst this gives a solution for some it still does not excuse the lack of inbuilt DTS support on the Soundbar. I Hope SONOS act soon to rectify this
Hello, I have been following you guys ever since the debut of your first product. Fantastic technology!!! However, even though I went ahead and bought the Playbar knowing that it currently did not support DTS, I did so in faith that you would do the right thing and provide it in an upcoming update given that the original reason(s) to NOT support it are no longer relevant i.e. 1) New TV's as of this post (mine is the new 75" Samsung 7100) actually support DTS via the Optical Out in addition to Dolby and DTS Neo. 2) Almost everyone uses BlueRay 3) If it is in-fact a "bandwidth" performance issue then simply issue a disclaimer that "A wired ethernet network may be required" and be done with it. Continue to lead and under no circumstances do you ever provide a way in for your competition. Sincerely, A Happy but concerned Customer!
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Another vote for Dts support for Sonos Playbar!
Userlevel 1
I am thoroughly in favour of DTS being added to the Playbar, and if Sonos really believed that people would buy this and be happy connecting it to the TV and not even getting Dolby Digital 5.1(which, although the Playbar can decode, most TV's won't pass through the signal for it to do so), then that suggests a flaw in the market research that was done before deciding on the appropriate inputs/capability. That said, some people on here do seem to be suggesting that Blu-rays with DTS-only soundtracks are silent and redundant, when that does not need to be the case. You can get sound from Blu-ray with a DTS-HD soundtrack by connecting the BD player directly to the Playbar and then setting the BD player to output PCM via optical whenever the disc only has a DTS signal (ie it should not be necessary to persistently switch the BD player's output). The Playbar then takes the PCM signal and attempts to recreate the surround effects. Now before the audiophiles start shouting, I'm not saying this is the same as true 5.1, and clearly DTS-HD should be added to the Playbar's capability, but at least it means that Blu-ray discs are not entirely redundant, as some appear to be suggesting. I have yet to be able to properly compare the recreated sound with the sound from Dolby Digital soundtracks, and I assume there will be a significant drop-off in terms of surround effects, but it is at least a stop-gap whilst we wait for Sonos to bit the bullet and upgrade to DTS...
I subscribe to a well known film rental company run using the postal service. I used to enjoy the full HD experience Blu-rays offer. But having watched a few films using the Playbar and sound down-mixed to PCM 2 channel stereo I have now started renting DVDs again. At least I can enjoy the DD 5.1 soundtrack. Once you down-mix a DTS soundtrack to 2 channel stereo no amount of processing gets you that true surround sound back. It just does not sound good enough. So while saying Blu-rays are redundant with the Playbar is not exactly true, its not that far from the mark. It is a shame because everything else the Sonos system does is great.
No DTS??? What madness is this? Just canceled my Playbar order, will now go and look at other Soundbars. I feel dirty already.
Userlevel 1
I've just created an account to vent some air on the missing DTS support. I already have the Playbar and I really like it. I do have a couple of friends who asked me about the Playbar. I tend to say that is really great and well worth the money BUT there is this issue with DTS. Of course they've looked elsewhere. Would I buy it again? No, I don't think so. Why? Because I don't like a company telling me how to use a product. Yes, of course you can use your TV as a hub but, come on Sonos, many came to the idea to use a switch, e.g. for their Blue Ray Player, as most TVs don't support 5.1 pass through from HDMI to TOSLINK. So, there is a solution for hearing 5.1 sound regardless your "TV as a Hub" approach, though, you still need so much time to implement DTS! Is there a reason? Please be fair and tell us why?
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
1x playbar 1x sub and 2x sonos play 1 or 3 is 5.1 surround? Come on Sonos don't fool us and get your crap together!!! All we want is Dts support for the Sonos Playbar! Make it happend and right now!!!
Badge
Are there any TVs that support DTS? If so, I'm with you. My 3 TVs decode Dolby only.

Mine does...samsung...purchased 2 years ago.
I agree with the other comments about adding DTS. The problem is that in order to get a DTS signal to the Playbar, you need to connect it to something other than a TV (with some limited exceptions). That's not what SONOS intended and that's why they included the simulated 5.1 capability, which probably cost them a lot of time and money to develop. If I purchased a Playbar, I would do like most people in this thread and connect it directly to my Bluray player in order to get true 5.1 surround. Without support for DTS though, I won't even consider buying one.
Yeah, that's a pain and I agree you shouldn't have to do that. Sonos made some curious decisions when designing this product. By the way, are you getting DTS from an external source connected to your tv via HDMI, or from a "smart" feature of your tv (e.g. one of the streaming services)? Either way, I'm jealous that you can get DTS. I'm pretty sure my tv only supports 5.1 DD from a "smart" service and 2.0 from connected sources.
Please hurry to add DTS, This is standard for all the Bluray I own 😞
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
People- please go and post on their facebook page, unless we bring this in front of public outside this forum, they wont listen
Badge
Dear Sonos, i would happily return the Sonos components that I purchased to use in my home theater setup at even 50% of my cost. That dollar amount could translate into a decent 7.1 solution that supports DTS and a number of other surround formats.

FYI...outside of home theater I'm a huge sonos fan, but I feel like I've wasted a lot of hard earned money on my Playbar, Play1s and to a lesser extend the Sub.
For a system that works so well in all other aspects, it's a real let down that the Playbar doesn't support DTS....
I'm disappointed that there is no DTS support as many Bluerays are offering only this. I'm waiting to buy play 3s as rear speakers until the playbar supports DTS.
Userlevel 2
I don't get this. Buying something so expensive without basic dts feature is a waste of money
And now, what is the current state - I do hope PLANNED? Your solution sounds great, but without DTS I need to have a look for another solution from an other vendor - sorry!
Dear Sonos, i would happily return the Sonos components that I purchased to use in my home theater setup at even 50% of my cost. That dollar amount could translate into a decent 7.1 solution that supports DTS and a number of other surround formats.

FYI...outside of home theater I'm a huge sonos fan, but I feel like I've wasted a lot of hard earned money on my Playbar, Play1s and to a lesser extend the Sub.

Sonos gear seems to resell at stupidly high values so I am confident you'd get back far more than 50%.

I don't understand why they don't offer DTS either, especially when I can buy a cheap £30 audio converter that does so, but you should have known that before buying - it's mentioned in every review I have read.
I was just about ready to purchase the playbar and the sub, but a colleague told me about the lack of DTS support. No idea why SONOS chose to not include it, but hopefully it gets added in the future. Its upsetting becasue this was going to be my first sonos purchase... i already planned out what rooms id be adding and everything. Unfortunately, I cant get behind the playbar (although i REALLY want to) with its lack of DTS support. SONOS, PLEASE ADD DTS!!!
Badge +2
Most of my bluray are in DTS only, this does not make sense to make such a great product and not include DTS in 2013 !!!
Userlevel 2
if it's a hardware limitation, software limitation or licensing issue then build a product which can decode dts and sell it as a separate product.
And now, what is the current state - I do hope PLANNED or IMPLEMENTED!? Your solution sounds great, but without DTS I need to have a look for another solution from an other vendor - sorry!
Seems crazy to introduce a product like this without DTS support? I would say that DTS is a functionality consumers assumes in all products in this price range today. I think you did a terrible mistake introducing soundbar without it.
Please sort this out guys, I want to buy this!