Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Really could use DTS support! This is really appalling for a company via to take over the market share and get people to buy into their home systems.  Sonos used to be responsive but now I'm starting to think they don't care about their customers.  
glad I found this

bought 6 play 1 speakers and boost for a Christmas party. worked well for a small speaker.

researching a new tv and sound bar. way too much research is needed on this stuff. since I planned to expand my sonos speakers, the playbar and sub was my first choice. I could use the play 1s until I could get play 3s for the surrounds.

then I find that many tvs don't pass anything 5.1. the sound bars try to make an educated guess as to what should be routed to the surrounds? for $2,000?

I was hoping for something a little less complex to operate. boxes that provide functions that other boxes say they support, but not fully. or fake support. disappointing. tv can switch BUT... tv has input for this BUT... output for that BUT... interface can support BUT... protocol supports that but...

if the optical protocol does not support ANY of these audio standards, it should be expanded to encompass all of them. if the interface physical properties are the limitation, they need to correct that too. dump the plastic pipes. we can send the entire library of congress around the planet several times per second on a single fiber the size of a hair. this application would not have to support that throughput, and the cost to implement a remarkably fast optical interface would not be cost prohibitive.

throw in plug and play where boxes shake hands and declare their capabilities...

wait - sonos.

$2 grand for a tv - another $2 grand on sonos. and its a compromise. alternatively, more boxes, more complexity, more points of failure, more cables...and you still need an engineering degree to navigate the menus for each box, each media source, each dvd to get the best possible out of the investment. and if sonos is in the mix, its STILL a compromise.

the upside is that many tvs DO pass these protocols now. sony, vizio and Toshiba have been doing it since 2013 and before. sonos needs to stop using that as an excuse. they are NOT going to do it as evidenced by this 2 year old thread.

but thanks all for the info in this thread. i'll keep researching.

that link to dts play-fi looks interesting...
I couldn't believe my eyes when I was doing some investigations on the PlayBar (considering it as the next addition to my Sonos-system) and learnt that there is no DTS-support. Really, Sonos... I mean, come on. You gotta be kidding me... Please add it as soon as possible. Right now, this is a dealbreaker for me!
Another customer mentioned that they were unaware that the Playbar doesn't support DTS until they tried to play a DTS-encoded Blu-Ray disc. That was also the case for me. Whilst I won't return my Playbar at this point - I'm happy with all of its other features - I'm not likely to buy the Play:3's that I had planned to purchase to go with it. For an otherwise excellent product, this is a bit disappointing and I think the team at Sonos needs to step up on this one and make good. Once this issue is squared away, the Playbar will be a true winner.
One more vote for DTS support. Just heard of another wife saying "you have to return that crap". Unfortunately, the first DVD she tried to play for the kids was DTS only 😞
Badge +1
Been looking at the new Samsung atmos soundbar which has been shown at CES just need to sell of my 5.1. Sonos is good but competition is getting better and I can see them start falling behind in home theatre. It's ashamed because I do love the sub 🙂
I will not buy PlayBar until DTS is supported. Please add as soon as possible so that I do not have to buy another soundbar.
since my first contact to the Sonos System I put a speaker into each room of my condo. The news of a TV soundbar from Sonos let me think about switching my 5.1 DTS sound system to a 2000€ surround system of Sonos. But as long as they do not integrate DTS, I will not buy. Now I think about upgrading my system with a Marantz reciever and a Boston Accoustics speaker set. But my favorite whould be Sonos. So be quick to integrate DTS, or even tell us why you can't integrate or if you work on integration. Make a statement about the future integration of DTS. Otherwise I will switch to another system, as I will not renounce DTS.
We just got a Play1 for our kitchen and because we were impressed with the sound, we were definitely considering a SONOS surround sound system for our DVD, AppleTV and cable box. Our TV is 6 years old and not compatible with Playbar with "no workaround." But since Playbar can't communicate with our AV Receiver's optical output with DTS we have given up on the idea, as, it seems, have many others.
Playbar needs to get DTS support!!!  What is the point of buying playbar if it doesn't offer through surround sound.  I'm thinking of buying the entire Sonos eco-system, but only if there will be a new playbar with DTS functionality.  If this takes too long, I will need to look for alternatives.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Ryan, I don't mean to toss a stone at you for your reply. But you pretty much didn't answer the question.

Why is DTS not supported, nor is it ever planned to be supported?

Because sometimes the TV doesn't pass DTS to the optical isn't an acceptable answer.
What is keeping Sonos from developing this, regardless of what their thoughts are on the TV passing whatever. Why won't Sonos develop for DTS?

I know it's probably been explained on a technical stance, but seriously guys, pin this answer to the top of the list and make it really obvious to someone reading the forums exactly what is the stance on DTS and why. You're only going to be getting more and more requests and complaints about it as time passes and systems evolve.

It's a serious pain in the ass to deal with. I've had my theater system for a while, and it's a constant source of "What the... why... AH FOR F SAKE!" when I open a new movie/show file. Then I need to piss around trying to convert it, or bodge something together to make it work.

Guys... You can't acceptably call this a home theater package like this... and it's just going to get worse.
Ryan, I'm sorry for blasting, as I find you're extremely helpful and upfront... But this just boggles my mind how it's a glaring problem and doesn't really get addressed.
Userlevel 1
I completely agree.
Still considering only? Please go ahead!
Please please sort out the lack of DTS!
I have just bought the play 1 and its brilliant I now want the playbar and sub but wont spend £1200 for both until DTS is availble
Userlevel 2
100% agree with all of this and have posted my great annoyance on this thread multiple times!

As an interim measure, which has been mentioned on other threads, I thought I would confirm that you can work around this for blu rays, which was my particular concern.

Using my PS3 (directly plugged into the playbar) you can set the audio to output Dolby 5.1 via optical using the option Bitstream Mix. Then even on a DTS Master audio blu ray, the playbar receives 5.1 and it sounds brilliant.

Wiring the optical from the source to the playbar directly does mean I need to swap the optical from SkyHD to PS3, but I plan to work around this using http://www.cypeurope.com/store/store/app/product/AU-11CD (£120) with a HDMI switch (£10) to extract the audio to optical from HDMI...

My TV is too old to have an optical out anyway but by going direct from the source to the playbar I can at least benefit from the audio config options of my blu ray player (PS3) and get a proper 5.1 surround signal into the playbar.

For me the biggest issue about this whole thing is the utter lack of response from Sonos. So much frustration and damage to the immensely loyal client base could have been avoided with clear and regular updates.

Even if they were to say that "discussions are ongoing and an update will be posted in x weeks" or just to have some input from Sonos on workarounds like the above.

Neither of which would be THE answer we want be at least we would feel as though something was happening.

Come on Sonos, at least have the grace to update us with something.
The stance on DTS has been stated ad infinitum. The fact you cannot accept it is your problem, not Sonos'. Repeatedly bashing a dead horse is not going to change that status.
Userlevel 1
I am looking to purchase a TV soundbar within the next couple of months, my current favourite is the Yamaha YSP-2200, the Sonos Playbar would be a contender if it had DTS support, but until then it is off my list. Which is a shame, as already I have Play 3 and Play 5 speakers to suppport it. I just cannot believe that Sonos Marketing the Playbar as a TV soundbar, honestly thought that the DTS question wouldn't come up! It's a no brainer for anyone seriously looking to use this for home cinema, would want DTS support. DTS is a much more natural sound than Dolby Digital. Stop messing about and get sorted Sonos. This is exactly the same nonsense as when you couldn't play music that was stored on your iPhone, you eventually sorted that out.
I returned my Sonos playbar a few weeks ago and last week I bought the Philips HTL9100. I'm glad I did. The sound quality might not be as good, but it's good enough for me. For the same price it included rear speakers and a subwoofer and 2 HDMI inputs and 1 output with ARC support (as it should). And this unit accepts all sound streams (Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD) It also has bluetooth streaming for music, so I highly recommend it instead of the Sonos.
I have 8 sonos speakers including the full 5.1 set up and have only now discovered that dts is not supported. Listening to Star Wars in stereo sound on a 1800 euro 5.1 system is not what I had intended. Please add my support for dts update.
You can not expect everyone to know about all this. I did not know about DTS before Sonos, because thought its a simple plug and play. Your Sonos Marketing Poeple in the store in Germany told me that DTS is not important, actually they told me nothing about it. They told me its not so important after I asked them about DTS. And that this will be solved by the intelligence of the Playbar.

Then I thought....OK...not so bad....For a Playbar only we do not need real surround. Then my wife's xmas present has been 2x Play 3s for Surround. She definetly did not know about the whole thing...

Keep in mind that none of your customers bought some chinese cheap stuff but some stuff thats supposed to be PREMIUM quality. Together with another Play 1 we invested more than 1500 € (more than 2000$!!!!).

You advertise Playbar with Play 1s/3s as a 5.1 product for real surround. Keeping in mind that most BluRays use DTS this is no real surround for me. Actually it does feel like a rip-off towards your customers. Especially since there are no updates at alll for more than 10 months! COME ON SONOS!!!
Badge +1
Sonos will not support DTS period they made this clear since 2014 and its ashame because the 5.1 is a perfect, flawed product due to having no DTS. As a user you make the choice you buy or you don't it's that simple.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I have a very satisfactory solution. I have playbar the SUB and 2 play 3. I bought a Samsung blu ray player that can stream audio bitstream re-encode in Dolby. Playbar recognizes the signal and indicates dolby digital 5.1. Rendering a DTS HD track is very good. As good in any case by choosing an audio track in another language in Dolby. Tested with the film The Town
You're not reading properly. Point 1 concerned DVDs, not Blu-ray - it won't convert the audio on DVD sources. I'll be honest, whilst I'm rather sceptical due to the amount of caveats that Samsung put in the user guide, I'm pretty much desperate to try anything right now. I've got a shelf full of blu-rays that I simply cannot watch in surround sound and it is driving me mad. I'm tempted to buy one of these Samsung players to try and then return it if it doesn't do the job. The main stumbling block is that it has the wrong connector on the back...which means another adapter, another power supply and another mains socket. The irony that Sonos saved a few £s by not paying for a DTS license and I'm now considering spending ~£100 on a workaround that will only help with my blu-rays and no other sources. At this point, I'm thinking I may as well plug the Bose Lifestyle back in with the ZP90. Whilst it was a bit tricky to switch to Sonos audio and back, I actually watch surround sound TV/movies more than I listen to music in that room anyway.
Same here ....Can we get get some feedback on where Sonos is with the DTS implementation ? As a customer I would really appreciate some reaction here other than the standard consideration.
i to am holding off on getting one to add to my current sonos setup until this is fixed or a new model comes out that has it.
What is the return policy on the playbar? Too many other sound bar products in the market and many more coming out that supports Optical, HDMI, DD 5.1, and DTS. Enough of this horse shit and dump Sonos....