Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Not Happy. DTS
Has anyone had any luck with DDL (Dolby Digital Live) as a workaround for this problem? A bit of background information: I am using HTPC to drive a Playbar and am considering buying a sound card that supports DDL. From what I have read the card will encode any signal it receives into Dolby Digital (this should include DTS) and output it via the SPDIF, which from what I understand will be perfect as it means I can be watching a movie in DTS however the soundcard will reencode the DTS to DD 5.1 and send this signal to the Playbar to decode it.
Userlevel 2
Badge
biggest mistake buying the Sonos Soundbar to discover this flaw!
The playbar is really great, but without DTS support absolutly useless for all new blue-ray movies! Add DTS as soon as possible!
Userlevel 1
I've just come across a product from Philips, it might not sound as great, but the Philips HTL9100 has everything I need. A soundbar with wireless detachable rear battery powered speakers (up to 10 hours of use) and a wireless subwoofer. And this soundbar has actually 2 HDMI inputs en 1 output with HDMI ARC support.
Thanks for the input 🙂 going to go for a Philips HTB9550D 5.1 system from the Fidelio series with wireless rear speakers as a temporary workaround. ( This includes a Blu-Ray drive for legacy media playback and FM radio, too. ) One of the caveats is the missing multi room sync on the Fidelio series, but they are offering a '4.1 stereo mode' for music on the HTB9550D, saying front and rear speakers act as two stereo pairs plus active sub minus quiet center. Maybe something I'm going to forward to my parents in case Sonos shows up with something working properly.
This... is mandatory. I cannot believe that a premium product like Sonos (and don't forget the premium pricing that comes with it) doesn't support a soundindustry standard. Heck, I bought Game of Thrones S1+2 this week and it doesn't even has Dolby! It's DTS-only. And while DTS-only should make me smile, it made me worried instead. Very woried
Userlevel 2
Badge
@Marcus, then they could at least give the option for existing customers to "buy" new firmware with DTS included. Not that thats the preferred option but to keep things under consideration for 10 months is scaring people to buy your products. Can not believe that ANY company who moves their product from TV speaker to 5.1 system is not willing to invest in DTS to increase sales. And seeing number of complaints on the net it defenitely will.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Fla56... What devices are you using that use DTS? It's pretty likely that they can convert to Dolby.
Hello Sonos, another vote for DTS. ...without DTS the PlayBar is like a car with only three wheel's.... You may not see ist at first, but You will hardly notice it, when You are trying to use it. ...so please make the PlayBar complete!
I've just come across a product from Philips, it might not sound as great, but the Philips HTL9100 has everything I need. A soundbar with wireless detachable rear battery powered speakers (up to 10 hours of use) and a wireless subwoofer. And this soundbar has actually 2 HDMI inputs en 1 output with HDMI ARC support.
The HTB9550 is not exactly the same as the HTL9100, but yes, the Sonos has multiroom support and the streaming options are a lot better. Nonetheless, for me it would be a better solution, as the primary function for me would be movies. I already own a good stereo amplifier, which leaves the Sonos in the dust 🙂
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
With the launch of PLAY:1, two of my family members are looking to adopt SONOS for the first time. "Is the PLAY:1 any good?" "yes, it's great". "how about the PLAY:5?" "sounds pretty amazing, especially it paired" "I'm going to buy loads of this stuff, think I should get a PLAYBAR too?" "no, don't buy a PLAYBAR...I don't recommend those".
Userlevel 2
I think i am one of the biggest sonos fans out there. The system is simply genius! There is not really an alternative for sonos out there, which brings the same convenience and functionality to listening to music. Four months ago I was about to buy a complete 5.1 setup with playbar, sub and two play:3s. When I found out about the lack of DTS support this wasn't an option anymore. I have been waiting ever since for sonos to implement DTS. Knowing that they usually have a really good customer service and a lot of customer ideas have already been implemented, waiting is not a problem. But what makes me really angry is the way they treat the customers in this forum... Just being silent for several months and keeping this topic under consideration for almost a year is unbelievable. And this is the topic with one of the most me-toos and followers, which they are ignoring completely. And I'm sure there are many more out there not complaining in this threat. There has to be a decision or any information on whether this is possible at all or not. I think this might be a technical issue. However I don't understand people in the forum encouraging sonos to charge extra money for DTS support. What is wrong with you? This is not an option at all!!! Every 200$ supermarket soundbar supports DTS audio. So this is a must have feature for a 700 $ soundbar. In this price range I am not willing to pay anything extra for a standard feature. Please sonos, give us an update at least on whether this is possible to implement at all!? People are loving your products but with this behavior you are disgruntling your current and potentional customers. ... staying patient, still waiting for DTS support, keeping trust in good customer service!
Badge
Of course DTS is required. It's table stakes for this game.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Hello, have a question to the community who own a Playbar. If we supposed that the Playbar supports DTS, does your TV support DTS passthrough over the optical cable? I think the most of us have to buy an additional optical audio switch.
@Jgatie: I disagree again. For me, "pretty good" would imply it was worth spending £££ on a couple of Play:3 devices as surround speakers. "OK" would say it's not worth the £££ investment as you're not going to get much worthwhile from them. If I already had 2 x Play:3 speakers upstairs, I wouldn't even bother bringing them downstairs to get Prologic sound.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
If they solve this then Ill buy 2 x Play 1s in a flash and use my 2 x Play 3s elsewhere. Until then I just have to cross my fingers, but the silence/non-committal response is getting increasingly worrisome
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
@vien- of what I understand, the DDL soundcard can only be used with a computer, you cannot hook it directly to the soundbar. so yes, if u r watching a movie from the computer connected to playbar, u would get a DD 5.1 if it has a DDL soundcard when u play a DTS audio.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
In just 49 days DTS support has easily become a Top 10 idea on ask.sonos.com, with an average in excess of three votes per day. Says it all really.
Userlevel 2
I won't be buying one until it does, all my movies I download are DTS.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
i cant agree more this a the biggest let down to the play bar
My wife bought me a Sonos Play 5 for Christmas.  Love it.  So easy to set up for a non audiophile like me. Have it in the family room, really good sound.  So good I decided I wanted to move it upstairs to my bedroom and buy the Playbar, sub, and a couple of Play 3s to get full music and home theater in the Family room.  Ready to buy on day after XMAS until  I started reading about the limits of the system: lack of DTS, inability to connect all the devices (TV, Tivo, PS 3), etc.   Now I am on the sidelines waiting to see what happens.  

C'mon Sonos... That's $2000 parked on the sidelines until you give me a date when you'll have these issues addressed.   Need to know soon -- otherwise, I'll move to plan B -- somebody else's gear.   
No DTS = No Playbar Glad I found this forum - I was about to order the Playbar to be added add to my existing Sonos system (4x Play 3, 1x Play 5, Bridge).
Please Sonos don't let us wait another 3 month for any further comments on this issue. Admit your mistake or your misunderstanding and correct it asap. I am really frustrated!! If it's not possible to use the optical input from a technical point of view or with regards to licensing, you shall recall all your playbars which have been sold so far. Otherwise you blame your customers.
How can it take this long for a response. I so hope now the Play 1 is out the way the guys and gals at sonos can put some time into this for the playbar. Come on sonos, let this thing rock!
Same here. Yesterday I was very disappointed to find out that dts is not supported!
Please add DTS support for the Playbar. I would then be more than happy to purchase one with a sub!