Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Userlevel 2
A hifi homecinema soundbar without dts support seems not up to date for me. Are there any plans to add dts support?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

After watching a few movies on the Sonos Soundbar w/ 3's for surrounds the lack of DTS is really killing it. The re-encoded surround sound in very week and inconsistent. Please just give us an update for this. This will be making its way back to you unless I hear something soon.
I was on the verge of buying the Playbar until I researched beyond the rave reviews and found out it lacks DTS support. If I spend that much money on a comfortable solution that sounds great, I want a comfortable solution (i.e. one that is able to play any current sound format) that sounds great (i.e. without downmixing to 2.0 by the TV). I planned to extend the setup to 5.1 some time. Now that I know this doesn't make much sense I'll keep my money. I'll get my annual bonus next month, and it's a shame that the Playbar is a no-buy until it has DTS support.
Please add DTS gk 06apr13
Still waiting before buy ... 😞 gk 18mai13
It's truly depressing to find out that something as basic as DTS is not supported. If Sonos doesn't step up really soon and commit itself to delivering this feature, the Playbar and Sub will end their days on eBay and I'll start buying equipment from another vendor. Having spent two grand on the Sonos equipment for the TV only to discover that you need to downmix to 2.0 PCM to get any sound at all is literally outrageous. What a scam.
Add my name to the list. Waiting for DTS support before I buy.
If the playbar supports dts I'll by two play 3s in addition. Otherwise I might sell my playbar on ebay and by another 5.1 system...
DTS is a deal breaker for me, Im consider to buy sonos system to my whole house, starting with living room and my kids room. But without DTS I cannot watch most of my ripped movies, so no DTS no Sonos.
No DTS is preventing me from buying this right now. I don't want to have to check blurays or downloaded files for sound-standart before i can enjoy them. I want my system to be able to support everything. Please add DTS!
Userlevel 2
Ich bin eben sehr enttäuscht darüber, das auf meiner Sonos Playbar (ein 699€ Gerät) kein DTS ermöglicht und realisiert wurde. Bitte tun Sie was dagegen und geben Sie es frei. Das ist nicht auszuhalten wenn sie das nicht supporten.
Userlevel 1
Hello Sonos, we are waiting for DTS support - what are you waiting for?
Me too, having just invested heavily in Sonos for the whole house in our new build project. With 2 x Play 3's, Playbar, Sub, Connect, Connect AMP. I was very disappointed to learn after spending the money that Sonos does not Support DTS. I know there are work arounds with HDMI Switches and things, but the reason for buying a premium System is its simplicity and seamless integration. Come On Sonos, get a grip and do the right thing and have DTS support for the play bar! Martin
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Please can you add DTS decoding to the play bar
Userlevel 2
Yes please. DTS for those of us with movies stored on blue ray discs or a NAS.
I was very happy that Sonos released a Soundbar. Due to our relocation in september, i was looking für a multiroom solution. 2 companies are in my focus, Teufel with "Raumfeld" and Sonos. I have many Blurays and MKV's, so i need support of DTS. Until now, only Teufel supports DTS. I prefer the Sonos software, but if Sonos doesn't support DTS in the future, all Home-Theater und Bluray User are forced to look for alternatives. I think the main problem is that Sonos has thought only of the normal TV program, but that's only a very small area of use... Considering the price, a very shameful situation, especially because of the support of DTS in newer Samsung Smart-TV's and the statement "PLAYBAR understands common audio output formats from TVs"... That's simply not true
+1 from me on this. In fact, such was my confidence that Sonos know how to build a good product, I didn't even check that the Playbar supported DTS as I assumed (perhaps naïvely) it would. Now, having parted with my hard earned cash, I can't play DTS from my bluray or MKV collection. Not happy about this so I look forward to the update.
+1 from me on this. I bought the whole surround set, even had to wait a long time for it due to short stack, was very curious about the new movie experience ..... and never spent a thought this 2'500.- SFr. System wouldn't support DTS ....... what a shock now. I guess 90% of my movie collection has DTS sound and for now it sounds (if, with ac3 or stereo conversion and sonos-made virtuall surround) like mickeymouse compared to a movie with DD5.1. The real pain is to hear what the system is able to when watching a DD5.1 movie or hear music..... Without DTS my setup is a brick as a to date surround system, i will not recommend as long as DTS support is missing...
+1 from me too. Will return mine and review any further purchases until it supports DTS.
Another customer mentioned that they were unaware that the Playbar doesn't support DTS until they tried to play a DTS-encoded Blu-Ray disc. That was also the case for me. Whilst I won't return my Playbar at this point - I'm happy with all of its other features - I'm not likely to buy the Play:3's that I had planned to purchase to go with it. For an otherwise excellent product, this is a bit disappointing and I think the team at Sonos needs to step up on this one and make good. Once this issue is squared away, the Playbar will be a true winner.
since my first contact to the Sonos System I put a speaker into each room of my condo. The news of a TV soundbar from Sonos let me think about switching my 5.1 DTS sound system to a 2000€ surround system of Sonos. But as long as they do not integrate DTS, I will not buy. Now I think about upgrading my system with a Marantz reciever and a Boston Accoustics speaker set. But my favorite whould be Sonos. So be quick to integrate DTS, or even tell us why you can't integrate or if you work on integration. Make a statement about the future integration of DTS. Otherwise I will switch to another system, as I will not renounce DTS.
Still considering only? Please go ahead!
I returned my Sonos playbar a few weeks ago and last week I bought the Philips HTL9100. I'm glad I did. The sound quality might not be as good, but it's good enough for me. For the same price it included rear speakers and a subwoofer and 2 HDMI inputs and 1 output with ARC support (as it should). And this unit accepts all sound streams (Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD) It also has bluetooth streaming for music, so I highly recommend it instead of the Sonos.
Same here ....Can we get get some feedback on where Sonos is with the DTS implementation ? As a customer I would really appreciate some reaction here other than the standard consideration.
I just ordered a Playbar because I wanted some fairly descent sound without a large set of speakers etc like in my home cinema. and because I have Sonos units in most rooms. I was annoyed when I noticed it didnt support HDMI input and any HD codecs, but thought it would still be better than the build-in sound in my TV. I was horrified when I read this thread about missing ordinary DTS. I am going to cancel the order 😞
I just ordered a Playbar because I wanted some fairly descent sound without a large set of speakers etc like in my home cinema. and because I have Sonos units in most rooms. I was annoyed when I noticed it didnt support HDMI input and any HD codecs, but thought it would still be better than the build-in sound in my TV. I was horrified when I read this thread about missing ordinary DTS. I am going to cancel the order 😞
Short and sweet. A £600 premium hi-fi product should support an equally high-fidelity and ubiquitous codec. Please, make this happen!