Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Userlevel 3

Hi 

I don’t know if my issue is related to the 14.6 update but I noticed today that I had no sound from my surround (play 3) and my sub (Gen 2), only the Arc is working They are still present in the app under the my System view but now sound which every sources

When I reboot each of them, the sound comes back temporary, but when I switch to another source or audio format, thé Sound disappears again. Tried several times, same behavior

Thanks for your help

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Also, this is the status of my system,

I am currently not getting sounds from the back speakers and cannot see any network issues.  

Everyone see a problem?

@Brad Porter,
Perhaps contact Sonos Support as suggested in the answer shown to this thread and provide them with any diagnostic report references obtained and see what the Staff say.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

@Brad Porter,
Perhaps contact Sonos Support as suggested in the answer shown to this thread and provide them with any diagnostic report references obtained and see what the Staff say.

Yep, done that multiple tines (5 diagnostics) and no resolution. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Also, this is the status of my system,

I am currently not getting sounds from the back speakers and cannot see any network issues.  

Everyone see a problem?

Where do you get this information from? I am going to phone Sonos as they have requested but unfortunately only open 9-5 Mon to Fri, difficult when i am at work

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Where do you get this information from? I am going to phone Sonos as they have requested but unfortunately only open 9-5 Mon to Fri, difficult when i am at work

Go to:

http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:1400/support/review via a browser, replacing XXX with your IP of the Sonos device found in the App under About My System.

Then click on Network Matrix

@Brad Porter,

Yep, done that multiple tines (5 diagnostics) and no resolution. 

What did the Staff say when you spoke to them, was anything seen at all in your diagnostic reports? Anything said about your elected STP root bridge? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

What did the Staff say when you spoke to them, was anything seen at all in your diagnostic reports? Anything said about your elected STP root bridge? 

Sadly not, they said they were seeing network congestion and we went through a whole process of changing channels etc. They then wanted me to reboot all my network/sonos devices (for a second time) but could not as people were using it to work. 

I have an open case to return to them and do the structured shut-down and power up again.  But never had this much issues in 18 months. 

@Brad Porter,
It is just that in many cases I’ve seen, of small Sonos systems like yours, that the wired Boost will often take on the roll of root bridge in the STP network unless there’s perhaps a switch elected with a lower bridge ID and I see that is perhaps the position in your case, or at least that appears to be the case as no root bridge is showing in your Sonos matrix. So I was just wondering if there might be something surrounding that, which ‘might’ be causing the dropout issue.

Here are the ‘general’ settings Sonos recommend for STP to work with Sonos and I’m just wondering if support checked your elected (non-sonos) root bridge.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2118

Sometimes a simple network reboot (in order shown below) can sometimes cause the Sonos Boost to be re-prioritised and elected as root bridge, but I’m just not sure if it will help with your issue… but as the saying goes "nothing ventured etc…"

Work permitting, maybe try powering off all and bring back the devices online in this order (let each device settle before moving into the next):

• Modem/Router  
  • Directly wired Sonos device (Sonos Boost)
  • Other wired devices
  • Wireless Sonos products (nearest first, then next nearest)
  • Anything else 

There are ways to force the STP bridge priority, but that’s perhaps something to look at with Support Staff, that’s of course if it may have any bearing on your issue (I’m just not sure what difference it may have). Anyhow I hope that you are able to get the issue resolved. 👍

Userlevel 2
Badge

Here’s what mine shows

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Someone on the subreddit just posted this, so yeah I’m definitely confused 🤷‍♂️

Update May6: Update May6: After the issue returning again, and another power cycle, and surround factory resets with support chat, they did acknowledge Sonos was actually aware of the issue saying;

“Our developer is already working on it, And they will give us a heads-up once they figure out the resolution for this issue. …. Yes. We are receiving a lot of contact with the same issue with this update and we are always sending it to Feature Development team.”

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I just saw this though it’s from a few days ago

https://www.whathifi.com/news/sonos-promises-to-fix-audio-dropout-issue-introduced-with-its-latest-software-update?utm_content=whathifi&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&fbclid=IwAR0D92cWQQr83Un8w6giY2JG7anG793Mi0kZCCuWf9NQz0tYW3VVkqxwTvk#l2v1tfeqn1wkxbug3nt

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

That article is nothing new it’s using this thread and Reddit as a source 

@Screemer75,

What is ‘Living Room’ HT actually cabled to?

I see that all Sonos traffic is going through that one wired device called Living Room (I assume it’s your Arc) and everything else is wireless-connected. It again seems the STP ‘root bridge’ is a non Sonos product, but I also note that your matrix shows 6 devices only, but your online profile in the community here lists 7 devices, so is something missing or not being used in the Household? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

After the issue returning again, and another power cycle, and surround factory resets with support chat, they did acknowledge Sonos was actually aware of the issue saying;

“Our developer is already working on it, And they will give us a heads-up once they figure out the resolution for this issue. …. We are receiving a lot of contact with the same issue with this update and we are always sending it to Feature Development team.”

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I thought I was going crazy. Glad I found this thread. I started having issues after the latest 14.6 update.

I have a Sonos Arc (hardwired ethernet WM0 setup) with surrounds and a sub and have noticed that audio will totally cut out when moving between videos on YouTube app on native Android TV built into Sony XBR55A1E OLED TV. Loss of sound will propagate to all HDMI sources incl. native apps and cable box.

Recently I also noticed echoing (occasionally) and loss of surrounds and sub audio on all sources incl. Apple TV 4K and through Android TV apps.

App will report all speakers are connected and functioning properly despite loss of sound. Airplay 2 from iPhone will always work even after TV sound loss. Bizarre behaviour. I’ve been in touch with support and submitted numerous diagnostics.

Support initially thought it was a problem with the HDMI ARC cable, however, replacing the cable did nothing. Then they thought it was the Apple TV 4K that might be the culprit but removing the Apple TV did nothing. They kept referring to HDMI-CEC interference as the possible issue. I hard factory reset my TV to no avail. I’ve had the same hardware setup for 5 years without issue. Support never mentioned that there was an issue with 14.6 despite me telling them that I thought it was the culprit. Tomorrow I have an escalatory call setup with Sonos. I’m glad I found this thread.

I’m having the same exact issues with my setup. Arc, SLs, Sub & Apple TV. Has anyone had any luck for a workaround? This is super annoying & frustrating 

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Screemer75,

What is ‘Living Room’ HT actually cabled to?

I see that all Sonos traffic is going through that one wired device called Living Room (I assume it’s your Arc) and everything else is wireless-connected. It again seems the STP ‘root bridge’ is a non Sonos product, but I also note that your matrix shows 6 devices only, but your online profile in the community here lists 7 devices, so is something missing or not being used in the Household? 

Hi Ken,

My Arc is wired ethernet, eArc to Sony Tv. I then have the sub and 2 ones for surround. In Dining i have a Five, and Snug i have Beam. 

Hi Ken,

My Arc is wired ethernet, eArc to Sony Tv. I then have the sub and 2 ones for surround. In Dining i have a Five, and Snug i have Beam.

Ah okay thanks, but I was curious as to what the Sonos Arc’s ethernet is cabled to, is it direct to a router, switch, Hub or something else? Also what is the brand/model of that device it’s linked to?

There’s no issues seen with your device wireless connections but what channels are you using for your router and SonosNet signals?

Have you checked to see if it makes any difference if you run your Sonos system on your routers WiFi signal, without the Arc being wired?

The Sonos setup I have here is presently running on my local router WiFi and I’ve not (yet) seen the reported issue, although I appreciate others are encountering the problem. I’m just wondering if switching your system over to the local WiFi signal, might make any difference at all to the dropouts you’re seeing. See this LINK too.

Userlevel 2
Badge

The arc is wired to a Tp Link switch, that then goes to my SKy router on a Gigabit service. Sonos suggested i wired it as i was having this problem before using WiFi. They suggested i changed the wireless to 1

The arc is wired to a Tp Link switch, that then goes to my SKy router on a Gigabit service. Sonos suggested i wired it as i was having this problem before using WiFi. They suggested i changed the wireless to 1

My own thoughts would have been to try bypassing the Tp Link switch altogether and connect either the same, or preferably a different Sonos (standalone) device direct to the Sky router, such as your ‘Five’ (even just as a temporary measure) to see if the ‘dropout’ problem goes away. If it doesn’t, then I would just wait and see if perhaps a Sonos update may resolve the issue.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

@Ken_Griffiths - firstly, thanks for all the help, patience and support. Very much appreciate your help and will take that advice forward and report back. My Sonos system is using a Boost which is wired into the back of my Netgear router. So I am not sure how much flexibility I will have for the settings you kindly provided me. 

Just so everyone is clear (and to make sure we are all on the same page) these are the symptoms that I experience. (Everything is freshly rebooted from the router / Apple TV to all Sonos Devices).

1. Using AppleTV, play multiple films on Netflix, and they seem to produce 5.1 (whether Atmos or 5.1).
  2. Switch to Disney Channel and play a film, I notice that the rears and subs are not working from the start. However, the ARC is not outputting any bass frequency, so I assume that the ARC ‘thinks’ the sounds/frequencies are getting forwarded to other speakers.
  3. At this point, I look at the MATRIX and although I am not an expert, it does seems to be all green. Which I am making an assumption that the network is not under stress. (See screenshot below). 
  4. Leave the film playing, and after about 5 minutes I noticed the rear speakers experience a crackling effect - like they are spluttering into life. After another minute, the rears and subs come back on to provide full surround sound.
  5. I have also noticed, on occasions but not always, that the rears seems to be out of sync with the fronts. Almost like there is a significant delay which causes the sound field to sound appalling. (However, this did not occur during this test, its just an observation I have noticed since 14.6 and has not been like this on previous versions).
  6. Its not always consistent, but you can repeat the above and at some point that issue will occur. Some random combination of power on/off temporarily restores the sound. 

I have two subs in the systems and have tried this with only one - just to rule out the Primary /Secondary sub communication. The issue is persistent when using one sub or two.

When you think about it, the symptoms points to network communications - i.e. sometimes a delay, sometimes the speakers come back etc. But there does seem to be no evidence to support this, including when you look at the Matrix.

The real way to fault find this is if you could downgrade and run similar tests. However, there is no downgrade capability so you are a) unable to test/compare and b) stuck with a Sonos System which currently does not produce consistent surround sound. The latter is very frustrating as move nights in this house have stopped due to this issue! 

I appreciate I am probably going over old ground here, but I thought it would be good to summarise my observations so that people can compare with what they are seeing also. 

MATRIX taken at point of sound issues

@Brad Porter,

Whilst waiting for any news from Sonos, or perhaps an update (if applicable🤔), have you considered switching your system over to the local Netgear WiFi signal, even just as temporary measure, to see if it makes any difference? Here are the instructions (if needed) to try that, if you’re comfortable at trying the switch…

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3209

I’m just curious, as the matrix in each case here, infers a non-Sonos device is acting as the STP root-bridge. Also my system, which is running on a WiFi signal is not experiencing the dropout issue, but that just might be coincidental.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @Ken_Griffiths - out of interest, where do you see (on the matrix) that the non-Sonos device is being used for STP? I am looking but must be blind!!

Hi @Ken_Griffiths - out of interest, where do you see (on the matrix) that the non-Sonos device is being used for STP? I am looking but must be blind!!

I don’t see any Sonos device showing as the elected root-bridge (see this example..)

Edit: This shows a standalone wired Sonos Port as the STP root-bridge.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Thanks - yes, I cannot seem to get that to be the same in my system.

In way of an update, I moved all my speakers over the Netgear network and the problem still persists.  😞