Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi all,

I was a bit premature with posting the original best answer message in this topic. While we have been investigating Topilouf’s issue, we have not seen an increase in surround audio errors and do not see anything that suggests that you all will experience the same issue following the recent update. If you do experience issues while listening to your Sonos system, we always encourage you to contact us and we will do our utmost to support you.

Apologies for any confusion caused.

Kind Regards

Corry P

Hi Corry,

the problems with the failure of the rear speakers and the sub are only present since the update to the 14.6. Even if you have no idea about the matter, it is clear that it has to do with the update! Various forums are full of this topic!

Regards

I’ve updated my system last week and I just got the problem yesterday. I lost both my rears and sub - the after 20 minutes it all game back but my rears had a approx. 1 sec. delay.

I’ve had my system for over an year and NEVER had any issues.

And no, nothing has changed relating to wifi etc.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi all,

I was a bit premature with posting the original best answer message in this topic. While we have been investigating Topilouf’s issue, we have not seen an increase in surround audio errors and do not see anything that suggests that you all will experience the same issue following the recent update. If you do experience issues while listening to your Sonos system, we always encourage you to contact us and we will do our utmost to support you.

Kind Regards

Corry P

I contacted support and got told it was a network issue (as I suspected I would). However nothing has changed with my setup for months. When the bass is lost, I check the room setup and the Arc, Sub and surrounds are still there. I have Ubiquiti APs with the channels manually selected to minimise interference.

I was told to hardwire the Arc which for me isn’t a solution.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Not sure what’s to be done keeping owners in the dark with no ETA, downgrade the software release and work on a stable release. How is every user who gets the issue has just moved to 14.6 ??? I am changing my auto updates to off once they release a stable release. This is beyond annoying 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

It would seem like a lot of people on the Sonos subreddit also have had the same issues as here on this forum, so it doesn’t seem isolated.  There must be some commonality that is creating this issue, but not sure what?  Hearing this retraction is disheartening.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi all,

Kind Regards

Corry P

I contacted support and got told it was a network issue (as I suspected I would). However nothing has changed with my setup for months. When the bass is lost, I check the room setup and the Arc, Sub and surrounds are still there. I have Ubiquiti APs with the channels manually selected to minimise interference.

Hi all,

Kind Regards

Corry P

It won’t work for long, tried it about 10 days ago and the issue returned. I don’t think it’s a network problem no matter what they say. Not everyone who updated to 14.6 changed their network setup.

Sonos has to address, accept and fix this on priority!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Also having this issue. Sony Bravia, Sonos Arc, Two Rear Sonos 1’s in a network of 7 sonos speakers around the house … use AppleTV and a PS5 on same TV. Arc is the ‘hub’ unit of the system and is wired to the router (BT). Sonos system has been fine for the past 1.5 years and now the subs occasionally drop out all together or sound like an echo with a slight delay.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Also - https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/ui5i7c/according_to_sonos_no_problem_with_146_and_sonos/

I noticed this problem the other day with my sub gen 3 dropping out. I’ve never noticed this happening before. I toggled it in the app and it eventually came back on. I have the Arc hardwired to my router and was using the Apple TV 4K 2021 at the time of the issue connected through an LG CX.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

no, but it's a joke?!?! many of us have had the same problem since the update!! And there, you tell us that not everything is normal!! move on !!!

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

at Sonos, you don't have an arc, a Sub and 2 One to do the test and see that it's kidding, instead of telling us that it comes from our local networks !!!!!!

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

well this is disappointing

Hi all,

Kind Regards

Corry P

Please reconsider. There is clearly an issue here.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

There is definitely a serious problem ever since update 14.6.

I had zero problems with my system (arc+rears+sub) until I installed this update.

Now, I constantly stop hearing the rears and the sub (while they still appear on the app) and I also have the weird echo sound from the rear sometimes.

Turning off and on the system fixes it but then the issue comes back. Switching inputs on the television seems to trigger it sometimes.

I also didn’t change anything in my router, TV and anything else that comes to mind. Everything is exactly the same as it was before the update.

I even tried to use use the system with LAN cables to see if the WiFi has something to do with it, but it doesn’t help at all and the issue keeps coming back no matter what.

I hope a fix will be released soon, because I have spent a lot on this system and it’s pretty much not usable right now.

It shouldn’t be like that!

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I've contacted Sonos with multiple diagnoses other than telling me the problem is with me nothing else...they don't want to see their update is a problem :(

Userlevel 1

There is definitely a serious problem ever since update 14.6.

I had zero problems with my system (arc+rears+sub) until I installed this update.

Now, I constantly stop hearing the rears and the sub (while they still appear on the app) and I also have the weird echo sound from the rear sometimes.

Turning off and on the system fixes it but then the issue comes back. Switching inputs on the television seems to trigger it sometimes.

I also didn’t change anything in my router, TV and anything else that comes to mind. Everything is exactly the same as it was before the update.

I even tried to use use the system with LAN cables to see if the WiFi has something to do with it, but it doesn’t help at all and the issue keeps coming back no matter what.

I hope a fix will be released soon, because I have spent a lot on this system and it’s pretty much not usable right now.

It shouldn’t be like that!

This is exactly my experience! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I have all the same problems listed in this thread.

Userlevel 1

Same issue here as well. Arc + Sub and Play:1 surrounds. Sub and surrounds keep dropping out and a restart will temporarily fix the issue but it may also bring noticeable audio delay. Almost two years with no issues. I’ve also never had this issue previously with my Playbar over the six years I’ve owned it. This only started occurring after update 14.6.

Connection problems which appear suddenly are often caused by network problems, not Sonos problems.  The  typical cause is duplicate IP addresses.  These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device.  To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next.  Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup.  See your router manual for details.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Connection problems which appear suddenly are often caused by network problems, not Sonos problems.  The  typical cause is duplicate IP addresses.  These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device.  To cure this, do the following:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next.  Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup.  See your router manual for details.

It might've helped if it were a connection issue, but that's not the case. The rears/sub stay connected and you can still see them in the app while you hear no sound from them.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers

several people have already done all this and already reserved IP addresses. the issue persists

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers

None of this works.

I’ve tried hard wiring, I’ve tried IP reservations across my whole network (even as far as breaking my groups up and reserving before regrouping them), I’ve tried rebooting the modem, the router, the AP’s.

The only thing that fixes it for me is rebooting the surrounds, sub, or Arc.  Which means it’s an issue with the Sonos Arc communicating with its OWN wireless signal to the satellite speakers.

Sonos messed up, they owned it for 5 minutes - and are now trying to back pedal on it being them.. just so they can have all of us submit multiple diagnostic reports repeatedly till they can find their own smoking gun.

This needs a patch to fix it, nothing else.  There is this thread and others reporting the same issues, reporting the same suggestions from sonos, and reporting that everything sonos suggests does nothing to fix the issue.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

please stop saying it's a network or IP address problem! it's your 14.6 Sonos update that's causing the problem, so get to work on a new update that fixes all that! otherwise it will be back to Bose for me!!!!

please stop saying it's a network or IP address problem! it's your 14.6 Sonos update that's causing the problem, so get to work on a new update that fixes all that! otherwise it will be back to Bose for me!!!!

Please stop reacting as if the people giving advice actually work for Sonos!  

Is this the same BOSE that’s purportedly laying off people

I see a lot of “me too” posts, but not a lot of interaction (which may be hidden, don’t know) with Sonos in providing them hard data via diagnostics about what the potential issue is. There have been a few people in this thread who have at the least provided diagnostics, and I’m thankful for that, and hope that Sonos is too.

In 99% of the previous issues like this, it has indeed been as @jgatie suggests. If you feel it’s different for you, posting here may not be the best way to resolve the issue, but engaging directly with Sonos support and providing them hard data/evidence from which to work would likely be much more helpful. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

J’ai soumis 4 diagnostic à Sonos aujourd’hui. Je parle en français marre de faire la traduction !!