Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I’m rooting for you! 

Ha! Thanks @Freddy45764 !

I don't give this much of a chance to be honest, but if its done in a structured way then perhaps we might learn something on this (very) long journey.

I already had factory reset all the Sonos speakers before, but that saw a return to the issue within 30 minutes of doing that. This time I am taking a Software (S2) - Network (Router) - and Full Factory Reset approach (All Speakers + Boost) - almost as if I am bringing the equipment through the door for the very first time.

Whether this approach works or not, it's the most stable (i.e. in terms of time between an incident/issue) it has been. It might well reoccur in the next few hours, but it's still a behaviour change where it's gone from being able to be replicated in less than 30 minutes to many hours (and many switches between formats) of not experiencing an issue.

It might also be useful that I am going through this to some degree, so people know whether it's worth going through the whole rebuild process in the future.

As a for root-cause and why now? That's anybody’s guess at this stage!

Ya I appreciate what you’re doing and sharing. I’ve given up on finding a real fix for now because I think only Sonos can do that but I’m still trying to find things that improve stability and make it easier to live with this bug while we wait. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I got a good feeling 

So far so good. I’ve been switching between PS5 and Shield (tried both DTS and Dolby movies).

I think this is too good to be true. If this issue was known by Sonos (and they fixed in 14.8) why would their Engineering team be going through the motions with me and looking at the error? Surely they would just say it's going to be fixed in 14.8 and stop this thread from evolving. 

Sub and rears just stopped working in Blade Runner 2049.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I’m going to go nuclear and completely disable 5ghz on my router and see if it has any affect

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I got a good feeling 

So far so good. I’ve been switching between PS5 and Shield (tried both DTS and Dolby movies).

I think this is too good to be true. If this issue was known by Sonos (and they fixed in 14.8) why would their Engineering team be going through the motions with me and looking at the error? Surely they would just say it's going to be fixed in 14.8 and stop this thread from evolving. 

There we go, back to square one.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I think you’ve done what you need to, at this point. What I would thing would help (or hearing about) is more people submitting their own diagnostics to Sonos, like you and @Flo14000 seem to have done. 

Right now, they’re claiming it’s not an issue in their software. They may be right, they could be wrong, I don’t know, but the more people who supply hard data, beyond the “me too” posts, will certainly help if it is indeed a Sonos issue. Bug reproduction in software is often a very difficult thing, and more so if the issue is in transmission across wifi, for instance. The more hard data provided, the better the chances of figuring out if this is indeed a software issue. Right now, Sonos is pointing at potential issues elsewhere.

In the past, when there has indeed been a software issue, they’ve owned up pretty quickly, and it took several weeks for them to get the bug ironed out, tested, and rolled out.  

Yelling at them in the forums, which is not what you’ve done, but others seem to be, is unlikely to help. Providing them hard data to prove the point, one way or the other, will always be a better path. And either support your contention, or allow them to point at other possibilities. 

Just as a note, that last time it was a serious bug in their software, there were thousands of posts in 24 hours. This current issue appears to be affecting fewer people, although there has been evidence of posts in other areas that would likely be less helpful to Sonos. 

thanks this is a good post. I’m a software developer myself so I empathize with both perspectives. at this point I’m just going to keep an eye on this thread and post diagnostics here directly as the issue happens to me

Likewise, so I understand how frustrating it can be to pinpoint software issues. However I also know my own environment so know nothing has changed. I have a pfsense router with Ubiquiti Access Points. The Sonos equipment all have static IP addresses. I have also submitted a diagnostic a couple of days ago. 

When I spoke to technical support today, he didn’t even seem to know how networks worked! I’m now at the stage of just waiting until they admit it’s an issue at their end and a fix. Once that happens, I’ll turn of automatic updates.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I got a good feeling 

Also, submit a diagnostic as well.  Ill try and reference tomorrow during my testing and discussion with the Engineer. Let me know the number @arcosin. Thank you.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

FALSE ALARM: it finally just happened again sorry everyone 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I’m going to go nuclear and completely disable 5ghz on my router and see if it has any affect

I guess that would be a good test @peterbault 

The other thing I noted (that when both you and I had a rear/sub drop) was that the channel it moved us to was a DFS channel. That might be nothing, but DFS does mean that each unit needs to have Dynamic Frequency Selection enabled. 

Badge

Right now, they’re claiming it’s not an issue in their software. They may be right, they could be wrong, I don’t know, but the more people who supply hard data, beyond the “me too” posts, will certainly help if it is indeed a Sonos issue. Bug reproduction in software is often a very difficult thing, and more so if the issue is in transmission across wifi, for instance. The more hard data provided, the better the chances of figuring out if this is indeed a software issue. Right now, Sonos is pointing at potential issues elsewhere.

If only they would have rollback functionality, people could try to verify and confirm the issue quickly just by getting back to the previous version… They are in the business for many years now and still haven’t learn this yet… :(

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Bad, but expected, news.

Just now the incident occurred. (Sonos Support ID: 241138124)

I was flicking between movies on Netflix, moving from an Atmos movie to a 5.1 movie, and the subs and rears dropped and they no longer work. This happened all without leaving the Netflix app. One minute it's working, the next it's not. It did not occur during the film, just between switching films. 

Captured a screenshot of the matrix whilst this was going on, not sure how to interpret this really, but it looks kind of green - although this time a lot more grey boxes than before. Anyone know why there are more grey boxes this time than my last post?

For my final test, I am going to switch off the boast and go back to Native Wi-Fi. That was where it seemed to last the longest, so let's prove that is not part of the issue. 

You were our last hope. Thanks for all the updates!

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

FALSE ALARM: it finally just happened again sorry everyone 

O dear. Not good.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Do you also sometimes hear dialogue from the rears instead from the arc?

This has happened to me twice. Total mis-mapping of channels. Both times I was watching a trailer, and both times with sub and surrounds dropped out when I rewatched the trailer a second time

I dont have network issues and notice that I my sub is gone from time to time. I am also on version 14.6. Can put my hand to the speakers and do not feel the vibrations. It still shows in the app and when I switch it off in the app I get bass back from my sonos arc. Did a factory reset on all my speakers but the issue seems to be still there. Not the first issues I have and generally not very happy with the system.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Thanks @arcosin!

Does anyone know how to interpret the charts?  Specially, why was there so many greys on the later one when I had the problem?

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

@peterbault - have you got Amazon Prime? If you have, would you mind playing a few trailers (not the films themselves) and then flick back to a Dolby Atmos movies and see if still OK? 

any particular trailers?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Ok I’m just curious about something else. For anyone experiencing the issue, do you have a voice assistant set up on your system? 

I do not.

Me neither

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

unchecking 5ghz in my orbi settings doesn’t seem to actually disable 5ghz. I’m tired

Userlevel 1
Badge

Is this the same problem that causes the loud ‘Popping’ noise and loss of sound when playing Dolby atmos sound with an Apple TV on my Arc+Sub?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Are voice assistants not available outside the US? I’ll be happy for you all if that fixes it but it’ll sting if that fix is unavailable to me. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I’m still lurking also waiting for any news/fix for this.. I’ve got as far as a ‘level 3’ engineer with support after emailing the CEO and getting a response from Sonos on twitter, but I’ve been left hanging for about 2 weeks now with absolutely no response.

I guess my question is, has anybody had any kind of conversation with any of the level 3 techs yet about this? From what I can tell, when going the support route, that seems to be the point where the line goes dead.

Yeah, sadly its 3 weeks tomorrow sitting at L3 with no contact for me. 

I spoke with L3 yesterday and for the first time in 7+ weeks I’m optimistic this will be resolved.  I cannot say much but just wanted give hope to this community.  Its moving in the right direction in large part because of this tread and the work that’s gone on in here.  Thanks all!

Really appreciate you letting us know. If this does get resolved, a few things still needs to be done.

A) Everyone in this thread should be getting something from Sonos. $50 credit, year of Sonos music, etc...but something

B) Most of us are due an apology. I was essentially told I didn't under stand what bass was and how a subwoofer should sound by the last tech I talked to and was treated like a child even when I explained I fully understood what I should be hearing and how to tell if the sub was firing. While explaining that this happened after 14.6, but being told it was a network problem no matter how much you pointed to the problem occurring if you used an ethernet. Many of us were treated like simpletons.

C) I'd like to thank everyone on here that was going through extensive testing of things beyond my understanding with things such as the network diagnostics. I'm sure without that information disproving the myth that it was our networks, nothing would have forced Sonos hand.

So this is to crossing g our fingers and praying this really is going to be resolved.....let's wait for an update a BIG apology.

I don’t need any of that just a fix is fine

Same, I appreciate that software is tricky, I just hope the lessen that they take away is to at least communicate better.

Actually I’d take being put on a priority list to preorder the mythical Sonos headphones haha

I'd take it

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

working directly with sonos support and submitting a diagnostic just results in them asking me to power cycle everything which of course fixes it temporarily but it just eventually comes back.

what else am I supposed to do?

I really hope the team will reconsider their statement. At first the said there was a problem and then they changed their mind. There is definitely something wrong here and it’s just unprofessional to put that on the users. It’s a shame because before the update, everything worked just perfectly for so long.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

@peterbault - have you got Amazon Prime? If you have, would you mind playing a few trailers (not the films themselves) and then flick back to a Dolby Atmos movies and see if still OK? 

any particular trailers?

I was watching ‘The Contractor’ trailer in Amazon Prime a few times and found (on more cases than not after a few flicks) that this triggered the issue. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

And just to recap: I can work around the problem by lowering the audio format to 16 bit Dolby 5.1 on the Apple TV and Dolby Digital (not plus) output on the Bravia. No problem for several days now. None.

Again, not happy since I dislike having to lower the settings so I am still pestering Sonos.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Are voice assistants not available outside the US? I’ll be happy for you all if that fixes it but it’ll sting if that fix is unavailable to me. 

Hopefully if this is the case this will help Sonos engineers narrow down and get a fix out sooner 

Userlevel 1
Badge

After installing the latest patch and transfer my full SONOS theatre system to the BOOST, everything works perfect till now and no surround/sub drop when switch between my PS5, TV and Netflix! That’s great! SONOS should just admit that their patch cocked up and caused users much agony and anger, and also assure us there will be a fix and that will calm the ppl down, instead of pushing the blame to the users and find fault on our network. Their service support sux as well and I am like talking to a broken repetitive robot. Think to play safe, I will disable the update for future patches before this s**t happens again. So far so good and hope it stays this way! Good luck fellow SONOS users.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.