Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

I'm having the same issue. Diagnostics sent: 1431124771

The bass is extremely poor, lose my surrounds and Sub every now and then. I have this issue on both my Nvidia Shield Pro and also on Apple TV 4K.

Userlevel 2
Badge

An observation in regards to the possibility of this being a voice control software issue (CEC or related), I only have 2 Sonos speakers capable of voice control: the Arc and the Move.  The only speaker I have noticed having complete drop outs is the Move when I add it to the Arc group.  Do others that have this issue have other speakers in the main Arc group that have voice control capabilities (enabled or not)?

My setup is Arc + Sub (Gen 1) + 2 Play:3s.  I will sometimes add a Move to the group for listening in the kitchen.  It has the drop out problem.  Interestingly, I have 2 original Play:1s in there in stereo that do NOT drop out when added to the Arc group.  That is our current workaround. 

I just enabled Sonos voice control on the Arc and will test today to see if it makes a difference.

Enabling SVC on my Arc didn’t fix the issue.  The Move was still dropping out.  This morning I decided to setup voice control on the Move too since it actually did an update when doing this to the Arc.  I have now been stable for several hours.  It would drop out within an hour or less in the past.  Keeping my fingers crossed!

Maybe there is a bug in the software for all voice control capable speakers that is fixed with the update that enables SVC?  Or, just enabling it bypasses whatever bug there is?  Grasping at anything at this point.

I tested 2 different Moves and a Roam, in the same physical spot connected to the ARC group, and they all had drop-outs within an hour.  2 days ago I replaced it with a Play:3 and I have had no drop-outs (except for the full system sound drop out I get once a day.)  This is after enabling SVC on the ARC.  For me, at least, it appears to be Sonos model specific.  All of my other speakers are first gen.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Quote from someone on Facebook with the issue;

“I’ve had this problem since the 14.6 update now iam on 14.8.1 and still the same . Apparently sonos said they can remotely downgrade the software they doing it for me going back to 14.4 or 14.5 to see if the problems go away I’ve been waiting 4 days though they don’t rush” … “they said you need a windows pc or laptop for them to remotely do it they told me this 4 days ago though and they’ve still not emailed me to sort it out yet but as soon as they do and it’s been downgraded I will definitely put a post on to let people know if it’s worked or not”

Controversial if correct! Maybe the agent got mixed up though and used the wrong terminology … as this seems totally against the grain of what’s been said here by other peoples Sonos support agents/engineers. Hopefully we will hear more …

@willhowe any updates from this person? Do you mind tagging along the link here?

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I know it doesn’t work for everyone but in my room where I only use Apple TV 4K while I have change format set to DD5.1 and I turn off eArc on my tv I never experience the issue. This proved to me it’s nothing network related and most likely some kind of bug with specific formats when being switched/initialized 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

@peterbault - have you got Amazon Prime? If you have, would you mind playing a few trailers (not the films themselves) and then flick back to a Dolby Atmos movies and see if still OK? 

any particular trailers?

I was watching ‘The Contractor’ trailer in Amazon Prime a few times and found (on more cases than not after a few flicks) that this triggered the issue. 

Issue occurred before I even go to the trailer. Sigh 

What did you do to get the issue @peterbault?  Interested in what you were doing when it triggered for comparison…….

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I’m fully up to date with the app and Sonos firmware and I’ve just lost the sub and surrounds on my Arc. Happened when I switched from PC source (HDMI) back to Freeview on the TVs internal tuner.

Diagnostic: 22305365

I keep going around in circles. Yours was one case where tv internal apps appeared to be involved but Windows uses Dolby Mat. Do you have any sense for whether using your PC could be triggering the instability? Have you tried disconnecting/reconnecting everything HDMI wise and power cycling everything? Is it possible to regain and maintain stability that way if you don’t use the PC at all?

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it happened to me like 5 minutes into Stranger Things. Everything came crackling back in a second or two but now subs and surrounds are a fraction of a second out of sync. Sonos Voice Assistant installed, then rebooted the whole system. :( 

Did you power cycle after you enabled the voice control? 

I tested 2 different Moves and a Roam, in the same physical spot connected to the ARC group, and they all had drop-outs within an hour.  2 days ago I replaced it with a Play:3 and I have had no drop-outs (except for the full system sound drop out I get once a day.)  This is after enabling SVC on the ARC.  For me, at least, it appears to be Sonos model specific.  All of my other speakers are first gen.

This too might be interference as the older Play:3 uses the 2.4Ghz band whereas the Roam can use the 5Ghz band which is also the band that the Arc uses to communicate with its surrounds, so it maybe more WiFi band specific rather than product model specific, perhaps 🤔?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

update 14.6 killed my system

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

does anyone experiencing the issue have an LG OLED? My system that doesn’t have the issue is a LG CX but my system that does have the issue is a Sony A9G

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’ve experienced this issue many times before tonight, always the same symptoms: the surrounds disconnect (after changing sources), then require reconnecting using the app. The whole time, the Sonos app never registers anything as being wrong. 

Tonight, something different occurred: after changing sources (LG Plex app —> Apple TV) the surrounds disconnected as usual, but this time the Sonos app said my Arc was offline, with the spanner icon (with LS?RS? displayed as well). 

This time, it needed a complete power cycle on all three devices for it to work properly again. Thanks 14.8!

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Achieved 40471 drops and system is constantly dropping, every 5 minutes or so. I suppose there is a threshold value capped to the number of errors an interface can handle following which it drops connections to not cause further damage to the equipment(theory). I suppose Sonos engineering needs to focus on why these packets are dropping across all affected customers. I can certainly tell that the counter resets to 0 following a reboot which explains why a reboot resolves the problem temporarily.

I really like this idea and line of troubleshooting. I’ve started watching for dropped packets while I’m watching content or doing other things (switching inputs, connecting devices, etc.). I will certainly share if I see any patterns emerge. 

Edit: so far just a slow accumulation of dropped packets on the arc, nothing on the satellites

Userlevel 2
Badge

This has constantly been happening with my brand new Arc + 2 Gen 3 subs. I’m getting close to doing a full refund at this point.

Latest diagnostic: 934502327

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it happened to me like 5 minutes into Stranger Things. Everything came crackling back in a second or two but now subs and surrounds are a fraction of a second out of sync. Sonos Voice Assistant installed, then rebooted the whole system. :( 

Yup I did. After that I turned off Dolby Vision on the AppleTV and no drops for 70 straight minutes of Stranger Things. Kept Atmos on this time. 

Hmm dang sorry it didn’t work out. I’ve still yet to encounter it since enabling. I’ll leave it as is and keep this updated for sure 

Userlevel 1

Certainly not as technical as the other updates that have been recently posted but I wanted to give an update on my basic testing.  As mentioned in a post a few pages back, I had turned of eARC on my system and it was actually quite stable just using ARC.  I would only drop the surrounds and subs when using the Xbox.  I tried turning eARC back on yesterday and had a drop with just the TV cable box signal within five minutes of just changing the channels around.

Today I got a chance to mess around with the TV some more and tried enabling the Sonos Voice Control on the Arc only.  Son of a b&tch if the thing hasn’t been rock solid for the past six hours.  I re-enabled eARC and have played music from the app, watched tv from the cable box, played videos on Apple TV that were Atmos and 5.1 and even had the Xbox One work.  I’m not ready to declare victory yet but this is by far the most stable my system has been since 14.6 came out.  Not a single dropout.  I have an LG C1 tv, Nest Mesh wifi and the AT&T wifi box as well which is needed for our upstairs tv that has a wifi box.  My sub is a Gen 2 and I use two Play 1s for surrounds.  I had tried almost every other fix listed in this thread over the past month or so with so sustainable luck but for some reason the enabling of Sonos Voice Control has brought the most success so far.  We’ll see if it holds up but I’m swapping things around like mad that have caused it to break consistently in the past and it’s still hanging in there.  I know this is not much comfort to those with the Arc SL and to those who have tried this and didn’t have the same kind of luck.  Believe me, I know how you’re feeling.  Hoping this holds out and I’m hoping that it may give some insight to the developers that some people are having luck with this simple fix.  We shouldn’t HAVE to enable voice control to get our systems to work but, for me, it seems to be a fix that worked.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yeah same here, i am getting to the end of my 30 day returns window, bought the Arc, Sub and 2 surrounds and i am toying with the idea of returning. I have had too many issues with tech over my years where stuff has gone wrong or never updated and its cost me. Trouble is, no idea what to go with apart from seperates

Hi @Ken_Griffiths,

What kind of network setup do you have?

I tend to switch my setup from time to time, but mostly I just use a Boost wired-setup off a Plume WiFi mesh router.

My ISP provided device is a VIrginMedia Superhub v5 but I just have that set to ‘modem mode’. I have 3 x 16-port switches on the LAN and most of the rooms here have wired Ethernet points, not that I use the wired LAN for any other Sonos devices (well maybe just occasionally, every now and then) . 

I choose to reserve/fix all the Sonos IP addresses and I scan/check/change (sometimes) the SonosNet channel every few months to make sure it doesn’t coincide with my ‘dynamic’ Plume WiFi, or the next door neighbours Sky router WiFi channels. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I’m fully up to date with the app and Sonos firmware and I’ve just lost the sub and surrounds on my Arc. Happened when I switched from PC source (HDMI) back to Freeview on the TVs internal tuner.

I keep going around in circles. Yours was one case where tv internal apps appeared to be involved but Windows uses Dolby Mat. Do you have any sense for whether using your PC could be triggering the instability? Have you tried disconnecting/reconnecting everything HDMI wise and power cycling everything? Is it possible to regain and maintain stability that way if you don’t use the PC at all?

I’ve not pinpointed if it only happens when switching from PC to TV but I’m pretty certain it also happens when switching from TV to one of the internal apps.

Ive just switched from TV to PC and back again to see what happens and I’ve now got the issue where the surrounds and sub are out of sync.

And a few minutes later, it now sounds like it’s sorted itself out without touching anything.

when you say “switch to TV” what exactly do you mean?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yup I did. After that I turned off Dolby Vision on the AppleTV and no drops for 70 straight minutes of Stranger Things. Kept Atmos on this time. 

Hmm dang sorry it didn’t work out. I’ve still yet to encounter it since enabling. I’ll leave it as is and keep this updated for sure 

Honestly if I can make it work with just having Dolby Vision off, I can live with it for now. Just hoping that it’s actually a workaround and I’m not just getting lucky 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Yeah same here, i am getting to the end of my 30 day returns window, bought the Arc, Sub and 2 surrounds and i am toying with the idea of returning. I have had too many issues with tech over my years where stuff has gone wrong or never updated and its cost me. Trouble is, no idea what to go with apart from seperates

It's so sad to hear this, as Sonos when working performs very well for a wireless system. 

I am staggered that the perception from Sonos is that the latest change is not the cause, despite so many people saying something has definitely changed since 14.6. I would be showing extreme concern over these latest posts and would at least acknowledge its something that is firmly under investigation. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I’ve not pinpointed if it only happens when switching from PC to TV but I’m pretty certain it also happens when switching from TV to one of the internal apps.

Ive just switched from TV to PC and back again to see what happens and I’ve now got the issue where the surrounds and sub are out of sync.

And a few minutes later, it now sounds like it’s sorted itself out without touching anything.

when you say “switch to TV” what exactly do you mean?

Switching to the TVs internal tuner. I’m in the UK and we still get TV channels via an aerial.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Did you check if the assistant was enabled for sure?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ainsley002 & @Missionsparta 

I do, think, however, that just a couple of sentences on where this problem appears to have originated from i.e. what actually has been the cause of the echoing / dropping out, would be appreciated. 

I really wish they would tell us what they fixed/changed after all of this...with as big of a head ache as this has caused and the amount of time I've seen some of you soend on this, I am extremely curious what it ended up being.

We are continuously working on ways to improve the experience for our customers.

While not related to the 14.6 update, 14.10 includes targeted improvements on audio synchronization for home theatre surrounds and Subs that will address some customers’ issues with delayed audio or dropouts to surrounds and sub

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Also, this is the status of my system,

I am currently not getting sounds from the back speakers and cannot see any network issues.  

Everyone see a problem?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

What is really odd about all this is the fact it does not affect everyone and seems (I think) to be a mostly Arc issue??

I have the Beam Gen 2 with the full surround set up and have had no such issues at all. It is mighty confusing as I also assume there are Arc 5.1 system owners out there who also have not had this issue.

Maybe that is what is causing Sonos to be very slow in trying to resolve this, but I agree, more communication from them would be better than saying practically nothing.