Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

this bug has ruined the matrix for me because I’ve seen the bullet time scene 1000 times now testing the surrounds 

Haha Avengers Endgame scene where Thanos’ ship blows up the avengers base right before the final battle scene for me. Rockets coming from behind in all directions

Userlevel 2
Badge

I really don’t want to jinx it but this would explain why seemingly a lot of users do not experience the issue and they obviously have made changes related to voice control in the run up to the new voice assistant so if there was a bug/regression it could be in that code path

Going to install the Sonos Assistant and try it tonight, really hope this is it!!!!

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I just experienced the issue for the first time on my office setup with my LG CX. I checked and the channels did change but they match between the arc and other speakers 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Sauf que je ne sais plus quoi faire pour que Sonos décide enfin de régler ce problème ! Alors oui désolé, je sais que vous ne travaillez pas chez Sonos, mais si vous avez lu le fil depuis le debut, vous seriez au courant que ce n’est pas un problème de réseau !! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi All,

I have been intrigued why some people are not having the issue, and being somewhat mad, I have tried a fresh setup again. At time of writing, I have not been able to trigger the issue BUT it's only been 70 minutes of flicking through channels, playing different sources, etc. I am just reporting my findings so please no false hopes as its too early!

This is what I have done so far.

1. Reset all Sonos devices back to factory default. 
  2. Deleted the S2 Application (and all data) from my iPhone. 
  3. Re-added all the Sonos devices with a dedicated IP addresses on my router, out of the range of DHCP. 
  4. Reinstalled S2 Application, and started the setup process. 
  5. For this stage of testing, I have left my Boost disabled, so using native Wi-Fi network only.
  6. I moved my Gen3 Sub right next to the ARC. (Before, my Gen2 was next to the ARC, and the Gen3 was some way away.
  7. Set-up ARC, as per S2 instruction.
  8. Setup Subs, as per S2 instruction.
  9. Setup Surrounds, as per S2 instruction.
  10. Made sure the dedicated IP addresses were assigned to the Sonos Speakers. (About My System).
  11. Performed TruPlay setup for position and frequency tweaks.
  12. No other settings were changed in the S2 app (like lip sync, or anything else).
  13. NOTE: My router was not rebooted during this process. as it does not require one for adding static IP addresses. 

At his point I played a selection of different sources, but mainly thru Apple TV.

1. Sonos Radio, multiple channels, all working as expected. (Not Apple TV).
  2. Apple TV+, Atmos Movie, all working as expected.
  3. Netflix, 5.1 Movie, all working as expected.
  4. Various iterations of the above with different Dolby codecs, different video formats (like Dolby Vision, HDR).
  5. Full standby mode for 15 minutes, repeat the above after system power on. 

At current, I have had the most stable surround sound from all sources with no problems, no delays to the surrounds and no cut outs. 

As said above, this is an evolving test case.  So this is very likely to reappear. However, I intend to leave the setup as configured above, and play throughout the day until the point of failure. Just to underline, that the key changes thus far (which are not related to factory reset) are moving the Gen3 Sub next to the ARC and removing the Boost from the setup so running on native Wi-Fi.

I will report back any findings to this community. 

Brad 1, Sonos 55

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I really don’t want to jinx it but this would explain why seemingly a lot of users do not experience the issue and they obviously have made changes related to voice control in the run up to the new voice assistant so if there was a bug/regression it could be in that code path

Going to install the Sonos Assistant and try it tonight, really hope this is it!!!!

be sure to do a power cycle after you enable it just to rule out any ghosts from a previous occurrence of the issue

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Still working here. Reconnected my wifi satellite again after a week. Just using Roku tv apps. Have not connected ATV 4k yet. Don’t want to jinx it and I don’t use it much, but I’ll see how it goes over the weekend and if all is still well, I’ll hook it up and switch inputs to see if I can force it to misbehave.

Mentioned before that I had drops everyday without the ATV being connected at all. No input switching, but since assistant installed, I haven’t had one (yet).

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

my office setup is using 5ghz channel 5825 (165) hmm 

Why do you think that is a problem @peterbault?

Also, is your systems showing your HT rears and subs as being in which one of the below? (When you compare your two systems)

Mode: INFRA (sonosnet)
Mode: INFRA (satellite)

Didn’t think it was a problem just interesting it picked such a high channel. Yes my speakers show the same as you 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

A part dire que ça vient de notre réseau, rien d’autres ! Alors vous avez une solution ????? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Brad 1, Sonos 55

😂

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I got a good feeling 

So far so good. I’ve been switching between PS5 and Shield (tried both DTS and Dolby movies).

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

not sure I understand how if the sonos voice is for music playback, how that affects the surround issues (movies, tv, etc.) when there were none before 14.6 update (with the speaker firmware I’m assuming).

but keeping fingers crossed :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I just experienced the issue for the first time on my office setup with my LG CX. I checked and the channels did change but they match between the arc and other speakers 

That is very bad news. Sorry to hear that for sure. 

However, you did witness a channel change? Are you fairly confident the channel change correlates with the sound drops?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I’ve been having the same issue ever since 14.6 with Arc+sub (gen2) + Ones. Sub constantly loses connection. And on top of that, sometimes when watching Dolby Atmos content I get Dolby Atmos playback and can see it in the Sonos App, and sometimes, when watching the same show, on the same streaming service, on the same device with no other changes, the audio comes through as Stereo PCM. I bought this to replace my Samsung q90r. I used the same TV, same HDMI cables, and never had these issues. Always got Dolby Atmos.

When the Sonos works, it is thunderous! However, the overall Dolby Atmos experience sounds better on the Samsung.  I also don’t have to give up two extra HDMI ports. The only downside to the q90r is that bass doesn’t come close to the Sonos sub.

I’ve switched back to the Samsung and am returning the Sonos. I wanted to love it, but the lack of communication or fix for this issue, along with an overall better soundstage and additional ports on the Sammy has me waiting until the Samsung q990b is available in the USA. 

Probably not related, but I found out that one app (Paramount+) on my tv (TCL Series 6 Roku) the audio track defaults to “English” and I have to hit the asterisk key on Roku remote and go to Accessibility settings/Audio and force it to change to DD+ or DD. Otherwise it shows and plays as PCM 2.0 multichannel even though it’s supposed to be 5.1. Only app that does this. Other apps just say it’s only the default audio available (Atmos, DD, DD+, etc.)

I googled the solution for that one app, and it’s not an Atmos thing like you mentioned, but it’s something with the app and my tv (Roku) - nothing to do with the Sonos issue but at least I can get 5.1 on Paramount+ now. 

Annoying

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Does the sonos app tell you if the sub has dropped, does it vanish form the settings info?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hi All,

OK, next update. 

After hours of switching between different AppleTV sources with different sound and video formats I could not replicate the issue. For me the issue has (previously anyway) been fairly quick to surface. For several hours there has been nothing bad to report.

I have now progressed to doing the below:

1. Run the ‘Connect TV to Sonos’ in the S2 App.  That connected fine, and it updated some settings line TV Autoplay and IR to ON.
  2. I added the Sonos Boost back into the mix, and that is now functional with all speakers showing as WM:0.

Preliminary playing of different sources has not reproduced the issue yet. However, it's only been 15 minutes or under. I also include my current matrix output below so we can record where we are with signal etc. (This was taken when playing a Dolby Atmos Movie).

I will report back in a few hours. 

Brad

I’m rooting for you! This is a more extensive rebuild than I’ve done on the networking side. I’ve been more suspicious of the audio stream side so my rebuilds have focused more on the tv, speakers, and sources (sever and re-establish all HDMI connections and power cycle everything by disconnecting from the wall before rebuilding). I was stable without a dropout for 2weeks before it reoccurred albeit using almost exclusively 1 source (Apple TV 4K). It reoccurred for me when using a second source (second Apple TV 4K) and has been dropping out more frequently since. 🤞 time for another rebuild I guess

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

gotcha - thanks for explaining that. I’m no expert on this stuff :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Also, did you note what channel it moved from and to?

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’m still lurking also waiting for any news/fix for this.. I’ve got as far as a ‘level 3’ engineer with support after emailing the CEO and getting a response from Sonos on twitter, but I’ve been left hanging for about 2 weeks now with absolutely no response.

I guess my question is, has anybody had any kind of conversation with any of the level 3 techs yet about this? From what I can tell, when going the support route, that seems to be the point where the line goes dead.

Yeah, sadly its 3 weeks tomorrow sitting at L3 with no contact for me. 

I spoke with L3 yesterday and for the first time in 7+ weeks I’m optimistic this will be resolved.  I cannot say much but just wanted give hope to this community.  Its moving in the right direction in large part because of this tread and the work that’s gone on in here.  Thanks all!

Really appreciate you letting us know. If this does get resolved, a few things still needs to be done.

A) Everyone in this thread should be getting something from Sonos. $50 credit, year of Sonos music, etc...but something

B) Most of us are due an apology. I was essentially told I didn't under stand what bass was and how a subwoofer should sound by the last tech I talked to and was treated like a child even when I explained I fully understood what I should be hearing and how to tell if the sub was firing. While explaining that this happened after 14.6, but being told it was a network problem no matter how much you pointed to the problem occurring if you used an ethernet. Many of us were treated like simpletons.

C) I'd like to thank everyone on here that was going through extensive testing of things beyond my understanding with things such as the network diagnostics. I'm sure without that information disproving the myth that it was our networks, nothing would have forced Sonos hand.

So this is to crossing g our fingers and praying this really is going to be resolved.....let's wait for an update a BIG apology.

I don’t need any of that just a fix is fine

Same, I appreciate that software is tricky, I just hope the lessen that they take away is to at least communicate better.

Actually I’d take being put on a priority list to preorder the mythical Sonos headphones haha

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I’m rooting for you! 

Ha! Thanks @Freddy45764 !

I don't give this much of a chance to be honest, but if its done in a structured way then perhaps we might learn something on this (very) long journey.

I already had factory reset all the Sonos speakers before, but that saw a return to the issue within 30 minutes of doing that. This time I am taking a Software (S2) - Network (Router) - and Full Factory Reset approach (All Speakers + Boost) - almost as if I am bringing the equipment through the door for the very first time.

Whether this approach works or not, it's the most stable (i.e. in terms of time between an incident/issue) it has been. It might well reoccur in the next few hours, but it's still a behaviour change where it's gone from being able to be replicated in less than 30 minutes to many hours (and many switches between formats) of not experiencing an issue.

It might also be useful that I am going through this to some degree, so people know whether it's worth going through the whole rebuild process in the future.

As a for root-cause and why now? That's anybody’s guess at this stage!

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

@peterbault - have you got Amazon Prime? If you have, would you mind playing a few trailers (not the films themselves) and then flick back to a Dolby Atmos movies and see if still OK? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

gotcha - thanks for explaining that. I’m no expert on this stuff :)

I wasn’t either until 14.6 came out 

No

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

That is very bad news. Sorry to hear that for sure. 

However, you did witness a channel change? Are you fairly confident the channel change correlates with the sound drops. 

channel was 5825 (i can’t be sure there wasn’t an issue at this point). after i noticed the issue I checked again and the channel was 5320. same for the Arc and all speakers in that system

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Ok Peterbault, Same for me !