Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Update: I can replicate the issue when it resolves by going to AppleTV and clicking Settings > Audio Output > And selecting 'TV' (the name of th Sonos Arc speaker + 2x rear speakers grouping) instead of 'TV Speakers' (the default TV output, which is in-turn the same grouping). For some reason the audio is fine when AppleTV defaults to the 'TV Speakers' (its playing through the Sonos surround grouping, the arc and the two rears) but if you specify the 'TV' Sonos speaker in the output it turns the surrounds off or sets them to echo/fart. I then have to power cycle to get things working again.

Q: What are people’s audio output options on their AppleTV’s? Does changing this also replicate the failing audio issue?

I would not have personally thought switching between wired (sonosnet) and wireless mode would make too much of a difference with the reported issue here, as the two Surrounds and Sub each connect directly to the ‘bonded’ main HT player (ARC/BEAM etc.) using a 5Ghz ad-hoc wireless connection. If the main player is not dropping its network connection, the issue appears to be the ad-hoc connection between the players.

Maybe something is intermittently interfering with the ad-hoc wireless connection?

I guess someone with the issue could maybe try moving their surrounds closer to the HT main player (temporarily) and/or remove the potential for any 5Ghz interference around the main HT player, by wiring ‘other’ devices that are nearby, or by putting them onto the 2.4Ghz Wifi band instead.

Also if still deciding to switch between wireless and wired (sonosnet) mode anyway, it’s perhaps also worth bearing these few ‘other’ things in mind…

• Position the Boost so it is at least one metre away from the router hub/any other wireless device?
  • Use a SonosNet channel that is not in use/overlapped by the main router, or mesh hubs ?
  • And perhaps slightly more importantly, if there are not any Sonos ‘portable’ products in the Sonos HH, then remove the stored local WiFi credentials from the Sonos App Network Settings? https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3488 

…that last point would at least prevent your Sonos products hopping between SonosNet and the routers WiFi signal, although, as stated, it’s not strictly relevant for bonded surrounds, or Sub, for the reasons stated above.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Sorry, when I say ‘flicks’ I mean moving between AP and back ti Apple and Dolby Atmos etc.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

One quick question that may be unrelated:

During all of this I have noticed that I cannot disable Wi-Fi on the Arc or it will cause immediate loss of surrounds and sub. The arc is wired, the surrounds and sub are not. I thought the Arc had its own networking to the surrounds / sub not relying on Wi-Fi.

So should I be able to turn off Wi-Fi on the Arc and still have sound from the non-wired rears and sub? Or am I experiencing expected behavior?

thx!

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Are voice assistants not available outside the US? I’ll be happy for you all if that fixes it but it’ll sting if that fix is unavailable to me. 

Hopefully if this is the case this will help Sonos engineers narrow down and get a fix out sooner 

All good, had to uninstall and reinstall the S2 app to make the voice assistant option appear. I had already lost sub and surrounds when I added the assistant. Didn’t automatically come back but I’ll reboot everything as soon as nobody’s watching

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

just happened again for me. diagnostics: 882580853

I’m going to not power cycle anything and see if it eventually comes back 

@Corry P 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

@peterbault - have you got Amazon Prime? If you have, would you mind playing a few trailers (not the films themselves) and then flick back to a Dolby Atmos movies and see if still OK? 

Interesting you ask for Prime Trailers. I was watching a few trailers on Prime a week ago and encountered the absolute worst audio I’d ever heard. When I figured out what was happening, the channel mapping was all wrong. All dialogue was coming out of the right rear surround. I watched the trailer a second time and it worked properly but when I left the app and moved to other content, the sub and rears had dropped. Only time I’ve seen that mapping problem occur

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

One quick question that may be unrelated:

During all of this I have noticed that I cannot disable Wi-Fi on the Arc or it will cause immediate loss of surrounds and sub. The arc is wired, the surrounds and sub are not. I thought the Arc had its own networking to the surrounds / sub not relying on Wi-Fi.

So should I be able to turn off Wi-Fi on the Arc and still have sound from the non-wired rears and sub? Or am I experiencing expected behavior?

thx!

You need to have Wi-Fi turned on in the ARC so it can connect to the Surrounds.  I have my Wi-Fi disabled on the ARC but that is because every speaker is wired with Ethernet.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I’m sure 99% of people who have been on this thread have stuck with it and given Sonos the benefit of the doubt, despite the frustration, because faults like this are extremely rare and we love the products.

I do, think, however, that just a couple of sentences on where this problem appears to have originated from i.e. what actually has been the cause of the echoing / dropping out, would be appreciated. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

just happened again for me. diagnostics: 882580853

I’m going to not power cycle anything and see if it eventually comes back 

It will come back even if you don’t power cycle after a few hours but then it will happen again.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

And the worst thing?  Some people (like your good-self) are not experiencing the issue at all! Which makes me think it could be local, but then I seemed to have tried a lot of thing that never return it to stability. My head is exploding!

Just wanted to piggy back off of this. @Ken_Griffiths if you aren’t experiencing this issue, can I ask what source devices you have connected to your system?

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

@peterbault - have you got Amazon Prime? If you have, would you mind playing a few trailers (not the films themselves) and then flick back to a Dolby Atmos movies and see if still OK? 

Interesting you ask for Prime Trailers. I was watching a few trailers on Prime a week ago and encountered the absolute worst audio I’d ever heard. When I figured out what was happening, the channel mapping was all wrong. All dialogue was coming out of the right rear surround. I watched the trailer a second time and it worked properly but when I left the app and moved to other content, the sub and rears had dropped. Only time I’ve seen that mapping problem occur

Very interesting @Freddy45764 - whilst I have been testing I seem to be able to trigger the issue (although it is not consistent) when I move between Prime (watch a trailer) and back to Apple TV or Netflix and it seems to occur. Again, not always the case, but a pattern of note for sure. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
@foxisif you deactivate the Wifi of the arc even while being wired, you lose the Sub and the surrounds!
Userlevel 2
Badge

Strangely, I haven’t experienced the issue since I turned “match screen and sound” to “bypass” on all the inputs on my LG C1 a few days ago.  

edit: lmao I post that and then I immediately lose surround and subs

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Using a Arc SL.....so no voice assistant available and have been experiencing the sub drop.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Can I get the spouse put on the list for the (never going to happen) CR-100 v2?

She is still mad hers are gone.  :-(

Badge

Also having this problem. Sub wasn’t working and rear play:1’s dead. Sub is acting odd, booming mids as well as lows. Had to turn off and back on my boost twice now to fix things. Never seen to many issues with my setup as I have since upgrading to 14.6. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I’ve had the issue on both sonosnet and over regular wifi so there’s no difference there. 

while the issue is happening switching from wifi to Sonos net or the other way around fixes it because it forces all of the speakers to re-establish their connection but the issue will eventually return

lastly, I thought surrounds and subs used 2.4ghz for bonding while on sonosnet and 5ghz while on wifi 

I am confident whatever this issue is not network related 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I got a good feeling 

So far so good. I’ve been switching between PS5 and Shield (tried both DTS and Dolby movies).

I think this is too good to be true. If this issue was known by Sonos (and they fixed in 14.8) why would their Engineering team be going through the motions with me and looking at the error? Surely they would just say it's going to be fixed in 14.8 and stop this thread from evolving. 

Sub and rears just stopped working in Blade Runner 2049.

Also, submit a diagnostic as well.  Ill try and reference tomorrow during my testing and discussion with the Engineer. Let me know the number @arcosin. Thank you.

I'm gonna try to power cycle everything. Maybe I should've after the update. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

By the way, although my testing led me to experiment with a fully wired system, I can say it does sound awesome! Not because it makes the sound better, but the speakers fire the exact time they should which creates a very nice and coherent sound stage. 

Pity I am going to have to unwire all this when the issue gets fixed!

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Using a Arc SL.....so no voice assistant available and have been experiencing the sub drop.

Ah I didn’t think of the SL models that sucks if this is in fact the issue. Hopefully they can get it fixed ASAP if they know where to look 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I’m still lurking also waiting for any news/fix for this.. I’ve got as far as a ‘level 3’ engineer with support after emailing the CEO and getting a response from Sonos on twitter, but I’ve been left hanging for about 2 weeks now with absolutely no response.

I guess my question is, has anybody had any kind of conversation with any of the level 3 techs yet about this? From what I can tell, when going the support route, that seems to be the point where the line goes dead.

Any ETA they provided? Been doing this forever now

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Frank Smith - Mine even sounded better last night and I didn’t even have the drop outs 😄

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

@Brad Porter do you have any network switches in your network? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I doubt we will ever get an explanation due to the American litigation scene and the liking for class actions they seem to love doing