Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

@Brad Porter,
Perhaps contact Sonos Support as suggested in the answer shown to this thread and provide them with any diagnostic report references obtained and see what the Staff say.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I’m fully up to date with the app and Sonos firmware and I’ve just lost the sub and surrounds on my Arc. Happened when I switched from PC source (HDMI) back to Freeview on the TVs internal tuner.

Diagnostic: 22305365

I keep going around in circles. Yours was one case where tv internal apps appeared to be involved but Windows uses Dolby Mat. Do you have any sense for whether using your PC could be triggering the instability? Have you tried disconnecting/reconnecting everything HDMI wise and power cycling everything? Is it possible to regain and maintain stability that way if you don’t use the PC at all?

I’ve not pinpointed if it only happens when switching from PC to TV but I’m pretty certain it also happens when switching from TV to one of the internal apps.

Ive just switched from TV to PC and back again to see what happens and I’ve now got the issue where the surrounds and sub are out of sync.

And a few minutes later, it now sounds like it’s sorted itself out without touching anything.

when you say “switch to TV” what exactly do you mean?

Switching to the TVs internal tuner. I’m in the UK and we still get TV channels via an aerial.

The reason I ask is I’ve been observing behaviour that suggests ‘something’ happens to destabilize the system (in my case almost exclusively including an HDMI source change) and then I get dropouts frequently when changing sources, apps, content within an app, etc. Then I disconnect/reconnect and power cycle everything which seems to restore stability and I’ve gone up to 2 weeks without a dropout. If I just power cycle the arc alone, it restores the sub and surrounds but not stability because it will almost surely happen again half an hour later. In your case I’m wondering if switching to PC is your destabilizing action? Or I’m wondering even more generally if others are seeing this same stable/unstable behaviour

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

What is really odd about all this is the fact it does not affect everyone and seems (I think) to be a mostly Arc issue??

I have the Beam Gen 2 with the full surround set up and have had no such issues at all. It is mighty confusing as I also assume there are Arc 5.1 system owners out there who also have not had this issue.

Maybe that is what is causing Sonos to be very slow in trying to resolve this, but I agree, more communication from them would be better than saying practically nothing.

@SarahN - out of interest, how is your network setup and how is your Sonos kit connected to your network?

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

@Brad Porter,
Perhaps contact Sonos Support as suggested in the answer shown to this thread and provide them with any diagnostic report references obtained and see what the Staff say.

Yep, done that multiple tines (5 diagnostics) and no resolution. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I’m going to try my most extensive rebuild yet and leave all sources disconnected and use the native tv apps which should give me bitstreamed Dolby digital + and atmos. If that’s stable, I’ll connect my Blu ray player and try bitstreamed TrueHD. If that’s stable I’ll connect my Apple TV’s and see if the issue reoccurs

Im with you brother. Forge forward where I have failed! 😀

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi All,

I have been following this thread from the beginning and finally jumping in.  Off the bat, thanks to Brad and Peter (plus all others) for all of your time and effort with this bug.  

My setup:  

LG CX OLED (wireless)

Cable box (HDMI INPUT 1)

SONOS Arc (HDMI INPUT 2) - OS: S2 (wireless)

Two SONOS subs - OS:  S2 (wireless)

Two Bookshelf speakers - OS:  S2 (wireless)

(All SONOS now on v14.8 (build 68329170) - keep doing the recent updates hoping its the fix.

PS5 (HDMI INPUT 3 - wired)

In the same boat as everyone as of April 19th with the release of v14.6.  

My issue is easily re-creatable simply by switching between inputs to the the built-in TV YouTube app or Netflix and watching a video.  I do not have have Apple TV.  Submitted 8+ diagnostics to various live SONOS reps via phone as early as April 22nd when restarting my router, unplugging and power cycling would only give me a temporary relief.  At the time they did not acknowledge the issue and went with the standard troubleshooting playbook - none of course worked.  

I have been on them since April 22nd and finally got an acknowledgement via email today that they are aware of the issue (a first for me but following this thread, know they have for others): “...as shared in the previous email, after an update it is not possible to revers the system to the previous firmware.  We are aware of the situation and our engineers are working to have this issue clear.”

My one workaround right now is to turn off SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC) and switch output sound from HDMI ARC to “Internal TV Speaker”.  From there, I can go to YouTube, Netflix, Amazon, PS5, Amazon Prime… and turn on whatever I want to watch.  Then have to go back to HDMI Arc for sound and I will not experience any drops.  Suuuper annoying but does the trick for me.  

If/when I drop (forgetting to do the above or too lazy), I just reboot my router.

Interesting. My 2nd system with an LG CX and PS5 I haven’t experienced the issue yet. May I ask if you have HDMI CEC enabled on your PS5?

Yes, CEC is enabled for my PS5.  

I’m curious if it helps at all to turn it off on the PS5. 

Tried this morning.  SONOS system was fully up and running.  Went to PS5 System settings and disabled “Enable HDMI Device Link” which also disables “Enable One-Touch Play” and “”Enable Power Off Link”.  Started jumping from different sources - HDMI 1 (TV), launched Netflix from TV app, YouTube, back to TV… all was fine.  After about 10mins I went back to PS5 and switched games from COD to FIFA…. as soon as I did that the issue returned (could have been fluke but….).  

Restated the router to bring SONOS system back to life but while doing that also powered off PS5 (even pulled out HDMI and ethernet cable from system) to ensure PS5 itself is not a factor.  

SONOS powered back up and fully functional again.  TV sound fine, Netflix, fine, youTube fine but then started paying attention to the audio format switches via the app.  When I moved from Dolby Multichanel PMC 2.0 (Netflix movie) to Dolby Atmos (Amazon movie) it instantly dropped. 

Foxis mentioned before - likely audio/format switches triggering the glitch and why my current workaround of disabling eArc, changing output to “Internal TV Speaker”, start whatever I'm about to watch/play then going back to enable HDMI/Arc works.  As long as I don't move from one (audio) source to another, I'm good.  After todays tests, first I’m clueing in that each game could also have a different audio format so switching between could also trigger the glitch.

...Just tried again and watched the switching between games.  FIFA (Multichannel PCM 7.1), switched to COD and in between it went from Stereo PCM (while loading COD - PS5 dashboard) back to Multichannel PCM 7.1.  SONOS did not drop this time between the switch… so random but sure I'm just a few switches away from yet another router reboot.

Thanks for testing that. At this point I’m just really confused why I experience the issue on my living room system but not my game room system 

I wonder why I don't have any of these problems discussed in this thread. I specifically checked again last night, ARC ( Costco version) w/ Gen 3 Sub and a pair of One SLs all working as they should and I've been keeping up with the firmware/Sonos App updates. However, I will not be resetting anything or running Trueplay again until Sonos gets this sorted out since everything is working just fine for me as is...just incase 😉

FWIW, I’m also using the Apple TV 4K 2021 and keeping up with tvOS firmware updates. This Apple TV for me has been trouble free since day one and I stream 4K, DV, Dolby Atmos, IMAX Enhanced regularly. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Brad Porter  - so I have all my Sonos stuff connected via a Boost to my router. My only Wifi kit are my Roams and Move.

I have an LG OLED 2021 TV and the only external device I use is my BluRay player. So I mostly use the internal apps on my TV unless I watch a disc of course.

As stated, I don’t have an Arc, but have a Beam Gen 2 with a Sub and surrounds.

So far………………… no issues whatsoever

The things I read a lot on this thread are the Arc soundbar and Apple TV but maybe that’s just coincidence 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Part of the update process is the speakers rebooting, which causes them to ask for new IP addresses from your router. If the router is in a “bad state” and handing out duplicate IP addresses, then your speakers will be compromised due to that. That’s just one scenario. There’s also outside influences that affect wifi, as suggested in the wifi interference FAQ. 

There’s no “it’s just one thing” fix to some of these issues, from what I can tell. There’s a wide variety of reasons why a particular symptom may be displayed. Sure, it’s easy to blame a software release, but if Sonos has, as they have, that they’re unable to duplicate that issue, it’s up to us, as users to give them examples, by submitting diagnostics and telling them about them.

As some may not know, just submitting a diagnostic does no good, it’s explained in Diagnostics - How do they work? thread that you must tell Sonos the number of the diagnostic, and why you’ve submitted it, so they know both to look, and what to look for. Many people in this thread have done that already, I honestly don’t know if everyone has or not.

But if there’s a real issue here, I’d have thought that the Sonos team could have recreated it based on the information they’ve been handed. The fact that they haven’t is somewhat telling, although it’s certainly possible they just don’t have enough information yet. I don’t know, one way or another, but can certainly express that this issue has not appeared on either of my Arcs, both of which have Subs and Surround speakers set up. 

I would be curious to know what your equipment is in each Arc group and whether you have Voice Control enabled. Info from people NOT having this issue is as helpful as those who do. If you haven’t already, please consider filling out the spreadsheet with your system info.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q6Iq2xXXZ--RmnsGnbZhujxJj1BcwJlvqSzj5iZXz2U/edit?usp=sharing

With most of the normal Sonos issues calling in and going through their troubleshooting usually fixes it long term.  I don’t think that’s happening with this issue.  As far as I know even those who have made it to Level 3 Engineering are still stuck in the process waiting for a resolution.  I certainly don’t envy Sonos trying to troubleshoot a problem that they can’t reproduce.  Those are always the worst.

I finally got around to adding my 2 systems to the doc. thanks for setting this up. 

I still haven’t had any issues since setting up Sonos voice control on my living room system

This spreadsheet was actually setup by @willhowe. I keep hoping the answer is going to magically appear in there, but it just seems to reinforce how maddeningly elusive this issue is.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Also, this is the status of my system,

I am currently not getting sounds from the back speakers and cannot see any network issues.  

Everyone see a problem?

Where do you get this information from? I am going to phone Sonos as they have requested but unfortunately only open 9-5 Mon to Fri, difficult when i am at work

Userlevel 3
Badge +1
@foxisif you deactivate the Wifi of the arc even while being wired, you lose the Sub and the surrounds!

Yes, but the surrounds and sub are not wired. Only the arc is. Still unsure whether the surround should still work. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

What is really odd about all this is the fact it does not affect everyone and seems (I think) to be a mostly Arc issue??

I have the Beam Gen 2 with the full surround set up and have had no such issues at all. It is mighty confusing as I also assume there are Arc 5.1 system owners out there who also have not had this issue.

Maybe that is what is causing Sonos to be very slow in trying to resolve this, but I agree, more communication from them would be better than saying practically nothing.

Must say you are one of the fortunate ones struggling to get around and I am sure lot of Sonos engineers will upvote your comment 😊. But, in reality, this is a major issue. Can I ask if you have tried switching content , as an example - flicking across Netflix, YouTube, Stan, Disney or playing music via Airplay? Also, most importantly what is the software version that you see in the Sonos app — About my system. May be you are at a release lower than 14.6 and haven’t been impacted. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Where do you get this information from? I am going to phone Sonos as they have requested but unfortunately only open 9-5 Mon to Fri, difficult when i am at work

Go to:

http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:1400/support/review via a browser, replacing XXX with your IP of the Sonos device found in the App under About My System.

Then click on Network Matrix

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

@Freddy45764 i agree I suspect it’s something to do with Dolby Mat. I actually kinda don’t mind forcing Dolby digital for everything now as I don’t care for the lower volume of LPCM. It’s just annoying to have to manually enable Atmos when I need it 

@peterbault - How have you done the ‘forcing’? 

Did you do this on AppleTV (i.e. Change Audio) or the TV (i.e. turn off Atmos, disable e-arc)?

I have noticed in the S2 App (and maybe related to what @Freddy45764 is saying) that when I am testing I either have Dolby Atmos come up or (when playing 5.1) it comes up as Multichannel PCM or something. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6
@foxisif you deactivate the Wifi of the arc even while being wired, you lose the Sub and the surrounds!

Yes, but the surrounds and sub are not wired. Only the arc is. Still unsure whether the surround should still work. 

they won’t. turning off wi-fi completely disables the wifi radio

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

FWIW, I’m also using the Apple TV 4K 2021 and keeping up with tvOS firmware updates. This Apple TV for me has been trouble free since day one and I stream 4K, DV, Dolby Atmos, IMAX Enhanced regularly. 

I have 2 Apple TVs (one for vpn) and don’t seem to have much trouble with the 2021 version. Whenever I also connect the older Apple TV 4K I get all the issues. I’m not sure if it’s simply connecting any 2 sources, 2 Apple TVs specifically, or if the older Apple TV 4K is where all the problems come from for me. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Part of the update process is the speakers rebooting, which causes them to ask for new IP addresses from your router. If the router is in a “bad state” and handing out duplicate IP addresses, then your speakers will be compromised due to that. That’s just one scenario. There’s also outside influences that affect wifi, as suggested in the wifi interference FAQ. 

There’s no “it’s just one thing” fix to some of these issues, from what I can tell. There’s a wide variety of reasons why a particular symptom may be displayed. Sure, it’s easy to blame a software release, but if Sonos has, as they have, that they’re unable to duplicate that issue, it’s up to us, as users to give them examples, by submitting diagnostics and telling them about them.

As some may not know, just submitting a diagnostic does no good, it’s explained in Diagnostics - How do they work? thread that you must tell Sonos the number of the diagnostic, and why you’ve submitted it, so they know both to look, and what to look for. Many people in this thread have done that already, I honestly don’t know if everyone has or not.

But if there’s a real issue here, I’d have thought that the Sonos team could have recreated it based on the information they’ve been handed. The fact that they haven’t is somewhat telling, although it’s certainly possible they just don’t have enough information yet. I don’t know, one way or another, but can certainly express that this issue has not appeared on either of my Arcs, both of which have Subs and Surround speakers set up. 

I would be curious to know what your equipment is in each Arc group and whether you have Voice Control enabled. Info from people NOT having this issue is as helpful as those who do. If you haven’t already, please consider filling out the spreadsheet with your system info.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q6Iq2xXXZ--RmnsGnbZhujxJj1BcwJlvqSzj5iZXz2U/edit?usp=sharing

With most of the normal Sonos issues calling in and going through their troubleshooting usually fixes it long term.  I don’t think that’s happening with this issue.  As far as I know even those who have made it to Level 3 Engineering are still stuck in the process waiting for a resolution.  I certainly don’t envy Sonos trying to troubleshoot a problem that they can’t reproduce.  Those are always the worst.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

@Brad Porter do you have any network switches in your network? 

Yes, both unmanaged ‘dumb’ TP-LINK switches. 

@Brad Porter,

Yep, done that multiple tines (5 diagnostics) and no resolution. 

What did the Staff say when you spoke to them, was anything seen at all in your diagnostic reports? Anything said about your elected STP root bridge? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@kuwarrulz_11 - I have the latest software  (14.8.1) with the SVC enabled on all my speakers with mics.

I switch content all the time (all be it on the built in apps on my TV) plus I play Bluray discs via my bluray player with no issues at all.

I do think there needs to be a look at this issue for sure but it definitely does not affect all users and some systems seem totally fine even with the latest updates.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

What did the Staff say when you spoke to them, was anything seen at all in your diagnostic reports? Anything said about your elected STP root bridge? 

Sadly not, they said they were seeing network congestion and we went through a whole process of changing channels etc. They then wanted me to reboot all my network/sonos devices (for a second time) but could not as people were using it to work. 

I have an open case to return to them and do the structured shut-down and power up again.  But never had this much issues in 18 months. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

well I ordered a CEC blocking HDMI adapter just out of curiosity. should arrive tomorrow

awesome...and great idea

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I have 2 Apple TVs (one for vpn) and don’t seem to have much trouble with the 2021 version. Whenever I also connect the older Apple TV 4K I get all the issues. I’m not sure if it’s simply connecting any 2 sources, 2 Apple TVs specifically, or if the older Apple TV 4K is where all the problems come from for me. 

I have only ever had (apart from the ARC) 1 HDMI connection into my Panasonic TV - and that was the Apple TV. In short, the ARC and the AppleTV. 

Whatever triggers it, its obscure and weird - that's for sure!

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

someone replied to one of my reddit comments with a workaround that I posted in here 🙃

Yikes. Is that where this clown car is at?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I have only ever had (apart from the ARC) 1 HDMI connection into my Panasonic TV - and that was the Apple TV. In short, the ARC and the AppleTV. 

Whatever triggers it, its obscure and weird - that's for sure!

Which version Apple TV? Just curious

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

The other strange thing is that my system is more stable now than it was previously. I do have the issue, but its now from time to time (rarely in reality) where as before it would take very little to trigger the event in 20-30 minutes. I could not have a night of watching different programs without it occurring - last night I and the family was using the system for many many hours, and it did not have any issues at all. 

However, I have picked up a new issue (the lord giveth, the lord taketh away!) where on two occasions in the past week I have experienced TOTAL sound drop out when watching a movie. To be clear, that is ALL speakers.  Within 5-10 seconds its back without any intervention. I am not even sure its related to be honest, but never had that problem before at all. When I reported this issue, the Support person said it was network interference (when my MATRIX was all green) and placed SonosNET on a different channel.