If you're experiencing audio delay issues, read this

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

551 replies

I have the same issue with a Philips OLED TV. I complained to Sonos & Philips. Sonos said it was the TV. Philips sent me an upgraded TV but the issue remains. Sonos say it is the TV that is the causing the issue when trying to process the 5.1 signal. My workaround is an optical splitter which isn’t ideal. They say TV’s with eARC are preferable but I don’t know if that’s true.

Is a HDMI splitter a better option?

I am contemplating asking Philips to take the TV back and I will get another TV (with eARC). But reading the forums I may get another make TV with the same issue. So frustrating.

Obviously the sonos receiving device will only play the (sent) audio when it gets it from the connected TV - a splitter/extractor will make no difference to inbuilt TV Apps/TV audio, but may make a difference for cable TV boxes and other devices etc that are normally connected to the TV and pass their audio through the TV ports… it’s often that pass-through of the audio where the delays occur with some TV’s and a splitter/extractor will bypass the TV ports. Some TV’s now have pass-through options too one example which I use is an LG C9 TV but a splitter/extractor is a worthwhile consideration if you don’t wish to change TV.

Userlevel 1
Badge

You need an optical/toslink switch.  There are many on amazon to choose from with varying numbers of inputs. They all do the same job.

You can also use a hdmi switch that has an optical extractor on it so that all your hdmi inputs go to it but the hdmi output of the switch only sends video, the audio being extracted/converted to an optical output on the switch that goes to your beam. 

Userlevel 1
Badge
I can confirm that direct optical connection from the STB or Blu Ray player produces no lag and is perfectly in sync for multi channel audio. I’ll update you after the service team come and replace the main board on the TV tomorrow. :(

Why are you bothering with all that??? It’s a software issue!
Badge
Okay, Ken Griffiths and Airgetlam, I will submit it if it does end up happening again, thanks to both of you for your help!
Userlevel 2
Badge +4

SOLVED ????

I was looking in the wrong spot.   My LG OLED menu under audio had a choice between AUTO and PCN for optical out

But looking under the Lip Sync adjustments in another menu, there is a BYPASS OPTION !!!

When I chose it, all seems OK now.    

Userlevel 1
Badge
100% agree but I don’t think it’s a Sonos issue personally. I think it’s LG. It’s works perfect over optical only. So it’s something to do with the HDMI pass through ability of LG TV’s. I am not sure if a HDMI port would help. We’ll see if anyone reports issues with Beam.
Badge
Hi all,
As predicted by some on here, the main board replacement had no tangible effect on the lip sync issue. The engineer has escalated this with his base, who will advise LG of the outcome. Hopefully another voice to a growing chorus of discontent at the contempt LG are displaying towards their customers.
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
As has been stated before, the delay is within the TV, and not the BEAM. And it's not a center channel only, it's the center, left and right in a single enclosure. Where did any of us say the delay wasn't in the TV? From many reports online, it is stated the issue is with the TV Optical port though, so many of us are hoping the Beam having a HDMI port wont suffer from the same problem due to being connected to the TV via ARC.

Also, no-one said the beam is a centre channel only. Just that it would be good to be able to use it that way with 2 other separate sonos speakers as front left and right. This is purely a suggestion to Sonos.
In my opinion, it is most likely because it is an issue with the LG doing something that is causing the optical signal to be delayed out of the TV, and Sonos has not been able to create a time machine to receive the optical signal before it has been sent.

It's unfortunate that it isn't a Sonos issue, I believe that Sonos would have already fixed it, if it was on their side of things. But they have to play what they receive across the optical cable when they receive it.

I'm anxious to find out if there's a possibility that the BEAM may not suffer this issue when it is connected via HDMI.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
In my opinion, it is most likely because it is an issue with the LG doing something that is causing the optical signal to be delayed out of the TV, and Sonos has not been able to create a time machine to receive the optical signal before it has been sent.

It's unfortunate that it isn't a Sonos issue, I believe that Sonos would have already fixed it, if it was on their side of things. But they have to play what they receive across the optical cable when they receive it.

I'm anxious to find out if there's a possibility that the BEAM may not suffer this issue when it is connected via HDMI.

Early reviews seem good on that front, your earlier post about delay over optical with it were correct, one reviewer said using the optical adapter he couldn't quite get the audio synced up but using the HDMI proved seamless I believe he was using an LG OLED as well.
Userlevel 4
Badge +7

I thought I’d share my update with this thread.  For those that haven’t followed my response or simply forgot.  I had (yes, now past tense) a Samsung 2019 75” Q80R, which had extremely audio lag.  I had “fixed” it by using a HDMI cable from the DVR to TV.  And separate a Optical from the DVR to the Beam incorporating the Optical/HDMI Adapter.  My Beam has a Ethernet wired connection to my router.  I also have two One’s for the L/R Surrounds.

I realized after much trials, that it was the Samsung with the problem using the HDMI-A.R.C. port.  In May I reported it to Samsung.  After first going through their scripted process of resetting and rebooting, that was no luck.  I knew that wouldn’t help, but had to do it anyway so that I could say that didn’t work to them.  Next they had me put in a Repair Ticket.  After waiting a week and getting no response, I called back only to learn that the Repair vendor that had chosen, would be unable to get to me for 3 months, which we both agreed was unacceptable.  They informed me that I would have my case escalated.

After two weeks, I called and Samsung said they also could not get it repaired.  And that another department would contact me.  I got a call from Samsung a about a week later in June and I was informed that they could not get a repair service to me.  And that they called me informed me to let me know they were going to refund the price I paid for the TV and come pick it up.  I was shocked.

The next steps to getting that done, took two more months - lot’s of red-tape and approvals that always took longer than they said it would be.  FYI, I was calling them once a week to see where the process was, hoping that my calls would help to move it along.  

Finally, I received a phone number for a trucking company who made an appointment to pick it up in mid-August.  Although, I was supposed to get my funds deposited in my bank account with 2 days, that also took another week.

Epilogue, I took the money from the Samsung.  Added a little more and bought a Sony 75” XBR-X950H.Before having it mounted back on the wall, I just set it up on it’s stand and tried EVERY feature, including the Sonos Beam using the HDMI-ARC port.  This TV has given me NO audio lag.  No special adjustments.  It just works like it’s supposed to.  So in the order of money flow, Samsung paid me to buy a Sony!

Thanks for everyone’s help on this forum for the advice regarding the Optical cable solution.  That did work, but for the money that being spent, I wanted the HMDI-ARC port to work.  

Now I’m considering upgrading from the Beam to the Sonos Arc (I still think they should have chose a different name for it).   I’ll wait until December and see.

Got an Xbox One X, LG OLED C7 and just went all in on Sonos Arc, sub and play1 rears.

So disappointed to find the huge audio delay from my Xbox in Atmos mode... its terrible.

Try implementing the LG TV AV Sync adjustment feature, if your older model has this feature. See link…

https://www.lg.com/us/support/help-library/lg-tv-av-sync-adjustment-CT10000018-1387832191561

Thanks - yes already tried playing with that setting, made no noticeable difference. I think the main issue is the TV - I have ordered an HD Fury Arcana which will hopefully solve the issue.

Sorry, I was responding to the statement "I just hope the beam doesn't suffer from audio delay,", but you do have a point, assuming that you're connecting with the HDMI cable rather than the optical cable. I would expect that if it was connected with the optical cable, it would have the same delay.

I'd be fascinated to hear from someone who can test this.

I will be testing this tomorrow on my 2016 E6P when my Beam arrives. 🆒

Epilogue, I took the money from the Samsung.  Added a little more and bought a Sony 75” XBR-X950H.Before having it mounted back on the wall, I just set it up on it’s stand and tried EVERY feature, including the Sonos Beam using the HDMI-ARC port.  This TV has given me NO audio lag.  No special adjustments.  It just works like it’s supposed to. 

That’s great to hear! I just initiated a Best Buy return for my Q90T for the same problem. I also decided on the 75” X950H as my replacement. Although I have the older Playbar, it’s nice to hear of your success with the Beam, gives me some hope.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Update. I have retained the set up through optical I describe above and used the hdmi optical adapter that comes with the beam to go from the switcher to the beam.

So in summary Dolby digital with no sync issues on a LG TV acheived by
Running optical from sky Q to optical switcher
Running optical from x box to optical switcher
Running optical from the LG TV to optical switcher

Running optical to hdmi optical adapter that came with the beam and then connected to the beam.

It all works except Alexa will now not control the tv.

Hope this is useful. Regards

Josh

Since the Sonos effectively plays the audio information handed to it as quickly as possible, it sure seems like the issue is upstream from the Sonos.

I solved all lip-sync problems on my 65B7D with the use of a HDMI switch:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B071WVXZKY

For me it's the perfect device for a Playbar surround setup in combination with a LG OLED TV and it gets even better by using also an AppleTV (4K) and a Logitech Harmony. The switch has four HDMI inputs, one HDMI output as well as an optical SPDIF output.

As a result:
- 100% lip-sync out of the box on all devices (set top box, PS4, etc.)
- HDMI ARC is working for the LG TV connected on the output of the switch
- supports 4K @60Hz, HDR, CEC, Dolby Vision
- remote control included, works also with Logitech Harmony (Hub)
- with an Apple TV (4/4K) it adds AirPlay2 without the need to turn on the TV
- with an Apple TV (4/4K) it's possible to convert every audio signal to AC3 5.1 on the fly to get multichannel on the playbar

I'm really surprised that it works so smooth with the help of an affordable device. Most of the HDMI switches don't support HDMI 2.0 (HDCP 2.2), 4K at 60Hz etc. but this one does. It solves all my lip-sync issues which by the way is a prove that this is nothing more but a silly bug on the LG TV, it's not because of some picture optimization thing. It's possible to connect up to four devices plus the TV thanks to HDMI ARC. The sound of apps from the TV are also 100% in sync by using ARC. Make sure to connect it to the HDMI-2 port and activate ARC in the sound settings of the LG TV. For me it's the perfect device for the LG TV. So now I'm using my LG OLED TV basically only as a HDMI display (not Smart but Dumb-TV so to say). :D

By the way, since there are no lip sync issues when using the HDMI-2 ARC output on the LG, I would also expect that there is no lip-sync issue when using a Sonos Beam. The audio delay is only there when using the optical output on the LG TV.

So I am experiencing the same lip sync symptoms as described here and have been playing around with both Sonos and LG settings to try to resolve this to no avail. Minor improvements but still not perfect

I have an LG OLED55B7T and Playbase connected via Optical Audio directly from the TV as well as following devices connected:
- ATV (3rd gen) via HDMI
- Laptop via HDMI

I have no problems with lip sync from LG inbuilt TV tuner and inbuilt apps (YouTube, Netflix, various Catch Up TV apps here in Aus). However there is typically lip sync issues from ATV content and the extent of that depends on the type of audio and which app, with Dolby 5.1 audio source typically having the worst lip sync and PCM generally being fine. Again this is consistent with what is outlined in this thread.
When I tried a friend's Chromecast HD, same lip sync issues occurred as as with ATV.

(As a note I had no lip sync issues using a previous 10 yr old Sony LCD TV with Optical audio out connected to the Playbase with the same setup)

So if the problem is the Optical Audio Out from the LG TV, rather than going the full HDMI 4-1 Switcher Option outlined above would it be simpler to connect the Playbase to the LG TV via an HDMI Audio Extractor as such:

LG OLED --> via HDMI ARC --> HDMI Audio Extractor --> via Optical Audio Cable --> Playbase

Eg. HDMI Audio Extractor
https://www.lindy.com.au/4k-hdmi-audio-extractor-with-hdmi-pass-through?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2P3Qj_zZ3AIVyqmWCh1EBwObEAQYASABEgLMLvD_BwE

Would this setup essentially solve the lip sync problem, while maintaining the LG TV to carry out as being the HDMI source switch since the Audio coming out of LG TV would be coming out through HDMI ARC not Optical Audio Out?

Or is the issue to completely bypass Audio Processing by the LG TV for any external HDMI sources?
Userlevel 2
Badge

I don’t think this is purely a Sonos fault. I have a panasonic OLED and does the same as LG tvs. But apps on the TV itself works fine. There’s >100ms sound delay when using the PS5. It’s very annoying. But I don’t think this is purely a Sonos issue. It’s LG, Panasonic, Samsung etc. All have issue with it. Even going from optical out on the TV. There’s something in these TVs that are causing the delay to the beam.

These TVs don’t like dolby bitstream. Linear PCM (2.0) is fine no delays whatsoever.

Just finished reading through the whole thread. Same lip sync issues here on a Panasonic VIERA TX-58DX902.

Sky in DD, Xbox one X both have issues, however the Apple TV 4k is the closest with hardly any lip sync sometimes? Will play ok with itune purchases, but can vary dramatically when using infuse.

Have opted to order the https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076XV1LVS/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item as advised by NeilAngels above. Will let you know how I get on with it.
Userlevel 1
I had the same severe sound delay/ lip sync issues. No firmware and no settings fixed it. Just had an LG engineer out who replaced the whole motherboard. All my picture settings were gone but also no more sound delays issues when passing through DD 5.1! Not with my Sonos Beam via arc or other devices via optical and PS4 pro!!

Appears LG has an up to date motherboard and I suggest to contact customer services who were quite good in arranging a swift replacement.

Please don’t bother with firmware etc if you have issues as it will most likely be the motherboard. I purchased my C7 55 in October 2017 if someone needs it.
Userlevel 1
I explained that all my external sound sources (hdmi arc/ optical) including Sonos devices would have severe audio delay when DD 5.1 is passing through the tv to the devices. You have to mention all the buzz words I guess like AV adjustment not working, bypass not working, firmware fully up to date etc. Or just tell them you are aware that motherboards are being switched as a result of the fault and you want that to happen with yours too. Clearly no firmware update will fix this and it’s a hardware fault. The newer c7s might have the up to date board installed hence some people do not suffer with the delay.
Hi everyone,

I'm having some audio sync issues with my current setup and am looking for any advice you may have to resolve them.

My current setup:
LG OLED C8 65" TV
Sonos Playbase + Sub + 2 Sonos Ones
Apple TV 4K

When playing Netflix, Hulu, and HBO GO content through Apple TV, sometimes I notice audio sync issues ranging from slight to fairly severe audio delays. The issues seem to be content-specific. When I use the LG built-in Netflix and Hulu apps, there are no audio sync issues. Unfortunately, there is no LG HBO GO app, so I am not able to test that content.

Switching to PCM audio when using the Apple TV resolves the sync issues. The LG Audio Sync feature has no impact on the sync issues (since the audio is delayed and not ahead of the video source).

I have read a few comments about a splitter of some kind. Would someone be able to provide me with a little more detail on that and if it would resolve my issues? I'd really like to continue using the Apple TV if I can.

If others have any additional advice, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
You can find optical/HDMI splitters of many types on Amazon, just requires a search. And certainly, that would remove the TV from potential issue list. But before I would go that far (since I would consider it a pain to have yet another box that I need to have a remote for to change inputs), I'd suggest looking at the audio settings for the TV set. Make sure that all of the settings are basically turned off. Anything that changes the audio output would add delay. I'm not particularly familiar with the C8, although I'd admit to admiring it, but it's worth double checking that anything in the settings that changes the sound in any way would be a potential issue. And frankly, it's also worth touching base with LG, to see if they have something, like a new beta version of the firmware, etc, that alters the current setup. This issue seems to crop up frequently with both Samsung and LG, and one of the two actually is replacing boards in their TVs due to this issue, although I don't remember which one. I've got a Vizio that's a couple of years old that has zero issue with this kind of thing, but then I've turned off all extra sound processing as well.

I'm 95% confident it's the TV that's causing this issue. Purchasing a splitter might prove that point, albeit as I recall they're somewhere in the $100 area and up. And honestly, I could be wrong....but if so, I'd expect a lot more complaints from other people who purchased TVs from other manufacturers, and I just don't see that at this point. Mostly from LG and Samsung. That might be a reflection of how popular those TVs are, which is why I went with my 95% comment, but still.....
Interesting.

I'm not terribly familiar with the LG, most of what I know has been gleaned from folks posting here.

While their suggestion to connect the Apple TV directly is a good one, you're right in that there's no simple way to do that. That's where the splitter comes in, though 🙂

I've never heard of an MHL converter, either. A quick look on Amazon suggests it's a device to swap from micro-USB to HDMI, so I'm not sure how that applies here.

What you're looking for is something like this:

https://www.flexson.com/by-sonos-product/sonos-playbase/flexson-3-input-hdmi-switch-audio-converter-for-sonos-playbar

I'm a fan of Flexson, every piece of kit I've purchased from them has been solidly built, although I've not purchased any of their electronic gear. The simple fact is that there are a multitude of similar devices available, pick one that matches your needs.

The audio splitter device should not have any impact on the quality of the audio. It's digital. There's only the potential of lag that you'd be dealing with, in all other respects a zero is a zero, a one is a one. And I've read hundreds of posts in this forum from people who have said that it resolved their issues. I can only assume that the rep that you spoke with was misinformed.

Bruce - thanks for all your help and suggestions so far. I looked back in this thread and saw that some folks recommended "forcing" Dolby 5.1 on the Apple TV as a solution to the lip sync issue.

Doing this has resolved my problem for most of the content I watch. I noticed a slight delay in the audio on an episode of Black Mirror on Netflix, but even that is much improved.

Thanks everyone!
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
After purchasing Sonos Playbar and some Sonos One's this summer I have experienced the same lipsync issue with LG OLED 65'' B7V. Connecting the Playbar to Xbox One X optical out and chromecast to the Xbox HDMI input solved the sound issue, however, it introduced the no 4K from Chromecast and completely renders webos useless issue. After beeing in contact with LG now for around 3-4 weeks without getting closer to any solution than when I first reached out to them I have now contacted the sales channel for the TV in paralell to my contact with LG and asked for a resolution on guarantee. I want the issue resolved or exhange the TV to one that works correctly with Dolby Digital 5.1 over toslink. My cheap-o Sony office tv works like a charm with the soundbar and has no issues with DD 5.1 over toslink. It's strange how such a good tv can exist with non-functioning dd 5.1. Current status of this issue is completely unacceptable to me. I could just as well have kept my very old FullHD Panasonic plasma for the same experience with great black levels.