If you're experiencing audio delay issues, read this

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

551 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Having lived with the issue since I bought a Sony XE9005 in January (now an XF9005, swapped by Sony) I can report that the recent Sony firmware update (Sept 18) does appear to solve this if you connect via optical out from the TV to the Playbar.

Previously, if I switched Audio Sync ON, it synced the sound but produced a brightness flash on camera changes, but the update has solved this (although it's not directly addressed in the list of issues from Sony).

For the first time in 9 months I have been able to remove the optical switch I've been using to get my Sky Q box audio and video to sync up.
Userlevel 1
I had the same severe sound delay/ lip sync issues. No firmware and no settings fixed it. Just had an LG engineer out who replaced the whole motherboard. All my picture settings were gone but also no more sound delays issues when passing through DD 5.1! Not with my Sonos Beam via arc or other devices via optical and PS4 pro!!

Appears LG has an up to date motherboard and I suggest to contact customer services who were quite good in arranging a swift replacement.

Please don’t bother with firmware etc if you have issues as it will most likely be the motherboard. I purchased my C7 55 in October 2017 if someone needs it.

I had the motherboard now changed for over a week. In that time I tried other devices I previously had delays with: Sonos bars, Xbox one x, PS4 pro, Astro mixamp etc. No more delays over optical or hdmi arc.

I can only repeat myself. If you experience delays with your LG tv it’s most likely the motherboard and you have to be persistent with the LG customers team for a replacement. It took the engineer 10 mins to swap it and all problems are solved. Please don’t waste your time with settings and splitters etc.

I am having a nightmare of time trying to get this issue straightened out. I recently purchased a new Sony Master Series XBR TV and I used it for the first time last night attempting to watch Frozen 2 with my daughter. The audio delay was atrocious. Mind you, I have multiple Playbars set up around my home and this has never been an issue so I was quite surprised when I had this happened to me last night. Any help any of you could provide to get this straightened out would be greatly appreciated. 

The Sonos HT device and its surrounds will only play the audio asap, when the TV has sent it to that receiver… so my suggestion would be to look at perhaps why the TV might be delaying the audio output through its port.

Perhaps switch off any TV audio enhancement features, check the interconnecting cable and ensure the TV firmware is running on the latest version. I’m assuming you are using a Sony TV in-built App for movie playback, rather than a connected peripheral, like a cable box or entertainment device, (Apple TV, Roku or Firestick etc.) If you cannot solve the matter it may pay to speak to Sony Support to see if they can suggest a way to deliver the audio output in a more timely manner.

Hope that assists.

In that case, assuming your Firestick is outputting DD 5.1 and not DD+ try to discover if your TV has ‘pass-through’ on its ports .. so that the Sony TV does not check, or try to transcode, the audio steam from your Firestick Apps. I use the Firestick 4K too with the LG C9 OLED TV and I can say that device is working okay here, albeit I’m using the Sonos Beam over HDMI-ARC, and the TV ports are set to pass-through. 

You may find a pass-through option in your TV Settings too, or by speaking to Sony Support, but if they don’t support that feature on your TV and it’s in-built processor is not quick enough to handle the Firestick surround audio, then you may have to look at by-passing the Sony TV altogether, with an audio splitter/extractor, like the examples shown in the links below…

I don't understand that. From my perspective, if the Sonos is working fine in one configuration, then it should be fine in all. So if it's fine in Netflix, from the Sonos perspective there's no change from their side on using your Telenet box. The data comes through the TV. If there's an added delay, it's occurring before the signal gets to the Sonos, not after. Unless in some fashion you're changing the setting on the Sonos using your controller when you switch from Netflix to Telenet?

For all practical purposes, the Sonos is a "dumb" unit. It takes the data presented to it, does a minimum of decoding, and spits it out. It can't tell the difference between the Dolby Digital on Netflix versus the Dolby Digital from Telenet. There has to be something upstream of the Sonos device that's causing the issue. I don't know about your Philips, but several folks with LG models have gotten hardware replaced that has fixed the path of the data that goes through the TV and eliminated the issue. Some LG folks have gotten new firmware / software updates that has rectified the problem. Those two data points lead me to believe that the fault isn't on Sonos, but instead somewhere else. It could be your TV, it could be the Telenet box. And I'd think it would be fairly easy to test where the problem is, assuming there's an optical output on your Telenet box. Just connect the PLAYBAR to that, and see if there's still a lipsync problem. If there is, then I'd bet the problem is with the Telenet box (since the Apple TV is playing fine), but if the lipsync issue goes away, then it is the path through the TV set that is the problem. and you might want to contact Philips to see if there is a software update that you could apply, or if they're aware of an issue.

Frankly, I'd also try a different port to connect the Telenet box to your TV, on the offhand chance there's an issue with one of the HDMI ports, but that's not terribly likely.

At the end of the day, if it were indeed a Sonos issue, we'd see posts from every single TV manufacturer here, on a daily basis. We don't. It's normally Samsung, LG, and now your report on a Philips. And each one of those who have purchased an HDMI splitter with an optical output have reported that the problem goes away, which certainly leads me to believe the issue remains with the TV set's processing of the Digital Optical output.

Sorry to be so argumentative. This certainly isn't your fault. I just don't happen to share your opinion that this is a Sonos issue.
Badge

Yeah I’m using the Playbar via optical and I’ve tried everything. I don’t want to downgrade the audio to pcm because it nullifies spending this much money to have only stereo output. So maybe a switch with optical as well? 

A switch, with an optical output, certainly would remove the delay that is being caused by the TV’s internal electronics. 

No, that's not really true. In both cases, the TV is doing processing, it's just the type of processing the TV is doing. In the case of PCM, it's almost none, since the signal is stereo. In the case of Dolby Digital, it's trying to do lots of other things, including processing the signal so it can be used on the TV's speakers. One thing you should do with your TV is to turn off any audio options that look like they're going to modify the audio in any way. The less "messing" with the signal that happens in the TV's circuitry, the better for lipsync issues.

Many of the people have ended up getting an HDMI switch, which is external to the TV, in order to strip out the audio before it actually reaches the TV. They're relatively inexpensive, depending on what features you want. You can check out local prices for you on Amazon, although that's not the only place to purchase them. But it is certainly a good way to do research.
Badge
As an update to my post. I finally got a hold of an LG Service technician and he came out to my house. He played with the remote for about 2 hours trying to fix it to no avail. Finally he recommend that we replace the mainboard. I declined the service because the TV is brand new and I am fairly certain this will not fix the problem as others have not had success.

If you own an OLEDC8 there was a firmware update(4.10.06) release a couple of days ago.This update is being pushed to a lot of OLED TVs but there is nothing in the change log about fixing an audio lip synch delay. Have not yet tested to see if this is fixed with the latest update but I HIGHLY doubt it is not.

The only SONOS solution to fix this problem is to switch to PCM. Who wants to listen to PCM on a surround sound system ? No one!

As stated before the only true solution to fix this problem is to buy and optical splitter. While not ideal, it does work flawlessy now with the splitter and you are getting 5.1 straight from the source.

My advice is if you have multiple sources connected to the playbar/beam, just buy the splitter. Do not call LG or SONOS about the problem. You will only waste your time on an hour long hold time for low level techs giving politicians answers.
ITS BEEN A YEAR AND ITS STILL NOT FIXED, let that sink into your head before you pick up the phone to call.

Another bone to pick with SONOS staff..I have actually called several times and spoken to several different "technicians" and have been told misinformation/lies. The information below is what i was told by different "technicians"

1. You must have cheap cables, try replacing your cables.
2. We have never heard of this problem before
3. Yes we are "working" with LG to get this resolved as quickly as possible
4. Just turn it to PCM there is really no difference between that and 5.1

Seems to me like there is a disconnect at SONOS. Please train your "technicians" to all be on the same page. We know there is an issue, but your technicians seems to think otherwise.

Previous post below....
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
LGOLED65C8PUA owner here with PlayBar and an ATT Uverse.

I can confirm that the lip sync delay is still there. The only way the lip sync delay is not there is if i use the built in smart apps or if I directly connect the optical cable to the the source(ps4,uverse box, etc.)

I have called Sonos and they kind of hinted to me its an LG Problem but they wouldn't come out and say it. Kind of gave me the typical run around..maybe its your HDMI cable, maybe its your optical cable, basically low level technical advice.

I have called LG and was supposed to get a call today from LG VIP OLED Tech Team, as you can imagine I never got the phone call...

This is not going to get fixed guys from LG or Sonos!!

Bottom line: If you want this to work you are going to have to buy aftermarket equipment to split the connection.

I'll keep this updated if anything changes after the call with LG.

I have been tinkering with settings for over a year and still having issues...I’m ready to try the audio extractor. I have an LG B7 OLED, Apple TV 4K and playbar. Obviously, I don’t want to lose 4K or HDR. What is everyone’s thoughts on this? 

OREI HDA-912 4K 60Hz 18G HDMI 2.0 Audio Converter Extractor - SPDIF + 3.5mm Output - HDCP 2.2 - Dolby Digital/DTS Passthrough CEC, HDR, Dolby Vision, HDR10 Support https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BHYXVTY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_z.o5EbNVMWN4H

There is also a 4K Arc version as well, should I need that?  I was just thinking I’d run Apple TV to the extractor. HDMI from Extractor to TV and optical output from extractor to HDMI. 

Thoughts?

Do you have any addition source devices other than the ATV?  If so, you may want to find one with more HDMI inputs.  I bought a product from J-Tech that’s also a good brand. 

No - just the Apple TV. That said, the ARC version also has more inputs as well. Not sure if I need that or not...

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
As an update to my post: The motherboard was replaced on my B7V, however, it did not solve the issue with lipsync 😕 maximum of -5 was closest though still not in sync. I will now wait for feedback from LG on next steps.

Another update. I was told I will have another mainboard replacement next week after five calls to LG since the first replacement (four this week!). I'm sad to say my patience with LGs customer support is worn thin at this point due to lack of following up as promised (and the unresolved issue). I can understand that they aren't magicians, but calling a customer back as promised does not require witchcraft, only a phone. Hope they can cook up a mainboard that resolves the issue so I can focus on enjoying content instead of this s....

I had the motherboard now changed for over a week. In that time I tried other devices I previously had delays with: Sonos bars, Xbox one x, PS4 pro, Astro mixamp etc. No more delays over optical or hdmi arc.

I can only repeat myself. If you experience delays with your LG tv it’s most likely the motherboard and you have to be persistent with the LG customers team for a replacement. It took the engineer 10 mins to swap it and all problems are solved. Please don’t waste your time with settings and splitters etc.

Thank you so much for your advice! My problems are solved too with the new motherboard!

Do you have another source you can test with other than the firestick? I don’t have much experience with one, and would prefer a more traditional device such as a DVD player.

Have you checked the audio settings on the Firestick? For instance, a quick google search brought up this:

To make sure the audio settings on your FireTV stick are correct, go to the Home Screen (Pressing the Home button on the Remote), enter into Settings, select the Dolby Digital Output option and make sure that Dolby Digital Plus is set to off.

Having Dolby Digital Plus turned off would be important. 

Just came to put my own hat in the ring, 2018 LG TV with PS4 pro and Sonos surround system, exact same issue. I won’t be reading the entire 17 page thread but if they’re not going to properly fix the issue I’d even appreciate finer tuned audio delay settings...

Your rather lucky, if your talking about lip-sync issues here, I think LG TV’s can easily resolve such issues with this lip-sync feature available on their newer TV’s…

https://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/product-help/CT20098005-1412236386115-audio-out-of-sync

Some of their models also support HDMI/Optical port pass-through too in the TV Settings

…. and that’s without waiting for Sonos to fix anything at all here.👍

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi everyone.

Like most people, i wish i had read this thread prior to purchasing my Beam.

I have an LG OLED B8, it's about a month old, and i find that when i connect my Beam through ARC, all external devices are generating about 250ms of audio lag behind the video when those devices send Dolby Digital 5.1. I've tested a PS3, AppleTV (2nd gen), and Xbox One X. I'm getting a PS4 Pro next week so i could test that too, but honestly they all have exactly the same amount of lag, so i think there is no point.

I've also changed the audio settings on all of those devices to send a Stereo signal instead of Dolby, and watched as lag improved to near perfect on all 3 devices. However, I don't think it sounds as good. I'm not looking for perfection here (although it would be nice), but 250ms is just too much IMO. If it were sub-100ms, then i'd probably not be writing this post.

All internal apps on the TV, such as Netflix, Youtube, etc. output to the Beam via ARC with no delay.

I'm inclined to believe that it is an LG problem... but if that's true, wouldn't ALL soundbars and receivers experience the same delay over ARC? wouldn't that render OLED ARC basically borked??? Yes, I could get an optical splitter, but the main draw of this Sonos Beam was it's ease of use and the ability to use ARC seamlessly. That has not been the case.

I'm driven mostly out of curiosity at this point to find out what the heck is going on. Sadly, the Beam is going to have to go back. I like the sound, but for $400, I don't think that amount of lag over ARC is acceptable. My preference is to buy a new device that will not have any lag over ARC, but does such a device exist???? I'll do some research, but please let me know if you have found a solution that works.

If anyone else has had issues with ExternalDeviceSendingDolbyDigital5.1->OLED->ARC->Sonos Beam, and found that another device didn't cause any audio delay, I would love to know. Also, I'll report back with any new info i'm able to gather.

If you want to investigate further try audio directly from source. The beam has optical and HDMI? Send the picture to the TV and run audio directly from source to Sonos. I had the same lipsync issue with Amazon PrimeVideo internal app for 5.1 content on the TV as source as well. First episode of Man in the high castle confirmed the issue for me.

For my B7V the TV is the source of the problem. A Sony FullHD 40" model does not show any of the issues with the same setup. Best of luck!

I’m actually curious if Sonos can actually do anything about this at all. If the sync is being added because the tv is processing the audio by decoding and re-encoding it, I’m not sure how they could fix that.

I have a TCL s403 which is a Roku tv. Just a couple of weeks ago it got the roku 9.4 update, which adds the option to pass through the audio without processing it. This fixed the sync issues I had there so I assume this will be the same on any TCL tv that can get that 9.4 update (which should be everything that is from 2017 and up, if not a little older).

I can tell you what does have audio sync issues and that is the Sony x750h that I just took back to Best Buy. It does not have an option to not process the audio and seems like even when outputting to PCM through optical (from the back of the Tv) it had sound delay when I was using my Xbox Series X. Unfortunately, both the new consoles no longer have optical ports so it’s pretty imperative to get something that works through the HDMI-ARC, so at this rate I kind of want to upgrade to a 6 series TCL. Unfortunately it’s a little bit more than I was hoping to spend (was hoping to get a deal during black November or whatever the sales are called now).

Does anyone know if the Vizio m-series has this issue? I see some good deals for a 65 and the hdr brightness seems ok. The instruction manual shows audio options of setting to output bitstream so I don’t know if that means it will process it and add the lag.

Thank you so much for all of your help. I have a switch here at home I am going to try first prior to making a purchase to see if that helps solve the problem. Thank you all that responded and answered my questions. Stay safe out there! 

Ok so I connected everything to the hdmi switch. Ran the optical cable from the switch to the play at and one hdmi to the television since the switch has all other cables running into it and I still have a bit of a delay. Do I need to turn off any audio processing on the tv or is that now pointless? 

It is rare to still have lip-sync delays when using a switch/extractor, I’m wondering if it’s one of the interconnecting cables that is causing the issue here and if you are able to perhaps swap them for another?.. most unusual. 🤔

For what it’s worth - I was very nervous about purchasing a new LG OLED display since I own a Sonos Playbar system (based on the problems some of you are experiencing) - but I did go ahead with the purchase - and I have no audio delay issues with my LG C9 at all. It’s perfectly in sync (and I am a professional film editor - I cannot stand even the slightest sync delay).

This is my (admittedly) very simple and straight-forward setup - as I only use the LG C9 as a (stunningly brilliant) monitor for my Apple TV 4K. I do not use any of its internal smart features. No cable TV box or other external connections.

LG C9 55” (2019) - I was told it has the fasted internal processor (maybe that plays a role since the LG needs to pass on the audio to the Sonos universe), latest Apple TV 4K. PLAYBAR, SUB, BOOST, 2 Play:3’s (surround).

The Apple TV 4K is connected to the LG using its DOLBY VISION option, which also seems to automatically (and magically) configure some settings of the LG through the port it’s connected to. The Playbar is connected via optical audio cable to the C9.

When I set up my new system, I got all new cables (including a new high-end Optical audio cable).

I don’t know what did the trick here, but I was ready to use a (4K capable) external HDMI/optical audio switcher to fix any audio delay problems. Luckily I didn’t have to, as this is a much more elegant and simple solution (when it works).

I have same issue with my Sony ~ it suddenly start few month ago (I belive) and it happens in the middle of seeing a movie or TV - it not right from the start. I then have restart TV and then it will be fine again …. is there a solution for this? 

Is this whilst you are playing a movie from the internal TV tuner, a built-in TV app, or is it from another source like a connected cable TV box etc? Without knowing the exact detail of what you are referring to, it’s rather difficult for anyone here to suggest a solution. If restarting the TV usually solves the matter, then it sounds like it might be your TV that is at fault here… I would perhaps just check with the manufacturers website and ensure the TV is using their latest software/firmware update.

Happy to report the J-Tech 3x1 audio switch solved all my audio sync problems. I have my PlayBar and 4K ATV connected as shown below. Hope it’s helpful to anyone still having lingering issues.

Cable box → J-Tech audio switch via optical
Cable box → Samsung Q60 via HDMI
4K ATV → Samsung Q60 via HDMI
Samsung Q60 → J-Tech audio switch via optical
J-Tech audio switch → PlayBar via optical

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I've got lipsync problems on my samsung q8
Tv with sonos beam and sky q with hdmi pluged in to hdmi arc on tv tried all settings new hdmi lead to no avail so I've ended up using a optical lead pluged directly in to sky q box and beam not ideal but aslong as only watching sky it works not happy after investing over £3000 in new technology and it doesn't work together

Agreed. In every case with a solution, it has been the processing / delay caused by the TV. Bypassing the TV’s audio stream has resolved the issue, which certainly relieves any responsibility from Sonos. The challenge then shifts to the handling of data from smart apps in the TV. 

That sounds really frustrating, Prodan, thanks for sharing. It looks like that case you mentioned is open with one of our most senior technicians, so you're in good hands. Let me know if I can help with anything else, and hopefully we can get all your questions answered soon. Talk to you soon!
Badge
I've developed the same issue as of two days ago, and I've got 2 Playbars that have been in use for over a year suddenly lagging behind. Adjusting the delay has zero effect. Nothing has changed in my gear and one is off a FiOS box and the other off an Xbox One.
I have had same issue, but think it was solved on my LG OLED65C8PLA activating setting "AV-sync" and "bypass". Is this perhaps a new setting?