If you're experiencing audio delay issues, read this

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

551 replies

I can confirm that the latest updated applied about a week ago has reduced the lip sync delay. I can still notice that it's a little bit off, but definitely a significant improvement from before.

Which TV are you referring to, and what firmware version?

It's an LG 65" B7A and the firmware version is 05.80.15
The update seems to have improved the issue. I had some delay with some TV app even with Apple TV 4K. It works better. I will test with my Sony Bluray

I talked too quickly. The delay issue is still here for some TV shows on my LG C7.
I'm having the same issue. Just bought a new LG C7, Xbox One X. It is just terrible. You should plug in a pair of headphones into your xbox controller and you'll see just how bad it is. I haven't set up my Roku yet to see if I have the same issue, but it sounds like I will. Very disappointing. When I was playing Destiny it was crazy bad. My shots sounded like they were an echo.
I experienced this problem myself this weekend while watching Netflix from my PS4. I bought my Beam last week but haven't had that much time to play with. I have a bit older LG65LB730V with webos version 1.4.0-2529.
However I managed to solve the issue by doing two changes to the audio setting (translated from swedish).
1. All settings -> Sound -> Sound out -> First select "External speakers", obviously. But ALSO: "Digital audio out" set to "Auto"
----- My setting was set to PCM, causing the TV to transcode the audio to PCM
2. All settings -> Sound -> Adjust A/V sync -> On and set to "Bypass"
---- My setting was set to "Off".

My PS4 has "digital audio out" set to "Dolby digital".

Good luck!
Userlevel 1
Badge
Glad I'm not the only one with this issue. Spending thousands of $$$, then this.... pretty irritating. I've called in a ticket to LG, and added myself to the list of customers with the issue (though sounds like they're no longer accepting tickets for this).

Had a question for some users with a C7 or C6. Are you aware of what the audio option LG Sound Sync is used for? I have a C7 & Sonos Playbase + Sub connected via Optical. When using the LG Sound Sync option, audio plays through the Sonos speakers without any delay... Soon as I switch over to the Audio Out (Optical / HDMI ARC), i get that subtle lag.

Now, I have no idea if LG Sound Sync actually delivering 5.1 / DD / Etc. as I haven't received the two Play 1's that I plan to use as the rear (and I don't see an available option of displaying the current audio output info).

Anyway, I just wanted to get some thoughts on this.
After months of frustration(and hearing my wife complain about spending $5,000 for a tv and Sonos system that couldn't sync audio/video correctly), I tried the solution on my LG OLED65C7 that was suggested by MattiasI74: "I have had same issue, but think it was solved on my LG OLED65C8PLA activating setting "AV-sync" and "bypass"". VOILA! Problem solved, happy wife, happy life. Give it a try....go to All Settings-Sound-A/V Sync Adjust-turn on Bypass. Good luck!

I am about to pull the trigger on a C8 but this is the only thing holding me back...has the lip sync issue with the Beam been corrected on the C8? Does this method also work on the C8 and do you retain all eARC features?

Should I just wait for a C9 with HDMI 2.1?

My Sonos Beam still has a lip-sync delay and i’m now considering an optical switch as many have said this solves the problem. 

How does this work exactly - i have searched you tube and can’t see anyone giving instructions to complete novices as to how to set this up. Have i got this right 

Tv’s Arc hdmi to the switch’s hdmi slot that says ‘out’ 

Optical adapter supplied by sonos into the slot that says toslink and then back into the beam.

Will that then get rid of the lip sync?

If i then put an amazon fire stick into one of the switchers hdmi ports would the sound play through that hdmi channel?

It all seems very confusing - i love the sound of sonos but the audio delays are maddening.

Any advice would be appreciated.

This is the switch that has been recommended.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Techole-Aluminum-Splitter-Switcher-Projector-Black/dp/B07KSYS2L4/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3HBURFEEVYAQW&dchild=1&keywords=hdmi+switch+4k&qid=1592232631&s=electronics&sprefix=hdmi+switch%2Celectronics%2C161&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyNTc2QzQ3V0UzUURaJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTEwMjc5M0pESDI5UUpLR0NNNiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzYyNTQ2MlM2SDhFTjc2VFVRRSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Hi mate I'm in the same boat as you with the Firestick and a Panasonic TV.  Netflix works fine with stereo 2.0 but sound delay on Dolby settings for 5.1.  did you try the switch from Amazon?

The built in TV Netflix app seems to work ok.  But ide rather use the Firestick! So annoying!

Userlevel 2
Hi Ifallo1,

My understanding is that the LG sound sync option is to sync the audio between the LG OLED TV and the LG Sound Bars (specifically LG SJ7/8/9).

I know this because that’s what the manual says to enable as I briefly owned the LG SJ9 soundbar and the audio was not synced correctly without that option enabled.

Full disclosure: The LG SJ9 sound bar with atmos was not nearly as good as the Sonos 5.1 system. The rear channels from sonos make more of an impact on listening than atmos in my opinion.
Just bought myself a 65" B8 and as a pre-existing Beam with 5.1 owner via HDMI ARC, spent a frustrating Saturday work to resolve lip sync issues. As per some of the comments here, the picture on the LG OLED is so stunningly good that I am prepared to live with a few compromises as the cost to move to a similar TV that MAY not have the 5.1 lip sync issues with anything approaching as good a picture (Sony OLED or possibly the Samsung Q9?) is at least another £750 in cost at the time of writing. So I have resolved to get things working as well as I can. Current status:

1. Onboard apps - Netflix, Rakuten, Amazon Prime all seem to be fine. I have always found that streaming services do occasionally have a small amount of lip sync variance - perhaps the "A/V Sync Adjust-turn on Bypass" has addressed this one if it was ever a problem before?
2. HDMI in from 4K Blu Ray Player - definite audio delay on default setting but my blu-ray player allows me to adjust both the sound or picture so I have been able to delay the picture to resolve .
3. HDMI in from Cable TV box (in the UK so Virgin Media V6 box) - definite audio delay. Unfortunately there is no adjustment available on the Virgin V6 box and it is quite bad. Switching the Virgin V6 box to output PCM stereo immediately addressed it, so I have resolved to forgo the 5.1 with the normal TV channels as I can live with this compromise (and can always switch back again when watching the footie etc)
4. I am yet to test the free-to-air digital receivers on the TV as we use the the cable box for that so am unable to comment on how the "native" TV tuners work with 5.1.

So it is annoying as the 2015 Sony 55" 1080P TV it is replacing had no problem with ARC pass-through, but in my view the compromises are worth it for the picture from the B8 at the price point it can be purchased for right now (March 2019). Of course if I had bought the C8 or E8 then the price gap to the main competition is much smaller and maybe I would have a different view.

Hope that helps anybody considering a purchase.
Hi,
I have a LG OLED55C8PLA which is connected to Sonos Playbar, and Play 1 speakers to give 5.1. I have a Sky Q box and also an Apple TV 4K connected.

I was getting quite bad audio lip sync delay. I tried the various setting changes on TV including changing the AV sync Adjustmemt being set to Bypass. In addition worth pointing out I am on the latest software version, but still the lip sync delay persisted.

However I tried switching the Opticsl cable from the one that came with the Paybar to a more expensive cable. This seems to have fixed the problem I’m pleased to report.

So I would recommend anyone tries changing the cable as seems to have worked FYI.
Userlevel 4
Badge +7

After many months on the Optical I tried the HDMI ARC port again.  Lo and behold, it’s not giving the audio delay.  I keep track of the firmware updates on the TV and maybe the the S2 update to Beam did something - no idea.  But here’s one odd thing, the audio was now slightly faster than the video.  Almost imperceptible.  So using the TV Sound/Expert settings, I added a slight delay.  

FYI: This is on a Samsung 2019 75” Q80R

The delay is BACK!!.    It appears the Xfinity box as a HDMI source is definitely worse than the in-TV apps, which is pratically perfect.  I also put a 18gbps HDMI cable on the Xfinity to TV connection and that didn’t seem to help.  I did try a high-speed HDMI cable with Ethernet for the HDMI-ARC to Sonos.  It’s better than the Sonos included cable but still annoying.  I’ll be probably switching back to the Optical which at least does not pose that problem.

Userlevel 2
I guess it might be. I’m not sure what hdmi devices you are using where you are claiming there is no audio delay through the lg tv with the sonos system.

If you are using an xbox one or ps4 pro with bitstream out (dolby digital) then I’m extremely interested and will rush home and retest.

Last I tried that didn’t fix it for me...
Userlevel 1
Badge
I guess it might be. I’m not sure what hdmi devices you are using where you are claiming there is no audio delay through the lg tv with the sonos system.

If you are using an xbox one or ps4 pro with bitstream out (dolby digital) then I’m extremely interested and will rush home and retest.

Last I tried that didn’t fix it for me...

I was just testing with cable tv (it's an xfinitiy box). Wondering if anyone else is able to try this setting?

I do have a blu ray player as well (LG) - I can't recall if I tested that with the LG Sync Option. I'll check this tonight.

Additionally, just got an email and my Play 1 speakers may be arriving today. Once I have them configured as my rear speakers, I'll be curious if 5.1 is produced with the LG Sync Option selected.
Yes can’t say it makes complete sense but it definitely seems to have made a significant difference. My lip sync was quite noticeably bad also but now seems normal, so either way I am very happy.
I honestly don't know. It does says it supports ARC, so I would hope so. I think the key note on the description that I see is this:

HDMI AUDIO EXTRACTOR:Extracts the audio from HDMI and outputs to a 3.5mm Jack,RCA L/R or SPDIF and Coaxial for connection to a set of speakers, home theatre audio system or amplifier.

What I really don't know is if it takes the ARC from the output HDMI connection on the switch and processes that out to the SPDIF output. It just isn't clear one way or the other.

But in your case, yes, the connection from the HDMI "output" on that switch would have to be connected to the HDMI-ARC port on your TV, to give it a chance of working. The the Beam would be connected to the SPDIF output, though the adapter that came with your Beam. Assuming that it processes the ARC channel properly, then you should get any sound that's on your TV.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
DTS Play-Fi now does TV streaming
The multiroom system now lets you stream audio in sync with your TV.

https://www.cnet.com/news/dts-play-fi-now-does-tv-streaming/
Just to also add, I didn’t previously have any lip sync delay issues with my previous Samsung TV when using the original optical cable that came with the playbar. Just FYI
Badge

Hi everybody!
My setup is a Sonos amp with two One’s as surrounds. The amp is connected to the ARC port on my Phillips 43PUS6804. And from there I have a PS5 and Apple TV connected.
The Apple TV works perfectly with no audio delay set to Dolby Digital 5.1 (huge upgrade from when I used it with just the 2 One’s over airplay 2). But I experience a pronounced audio delay with the PS5 set to Dolby bitstream. The TV is set to multichannel pass through.

Is there any way around the delay on the PS5? Can’t quite figure out what box to buy or if I’m just SOOL?

I've got to think there's something else that was going on. Physics is physics, it doesn't change based on the model of TV, or the cable.
I've been looking at buying a new 55" TV either the lg c8!; Song xf9005 or Samsung nu8000, do any of these NOT have the lip sync issue? Thanks, j
I have the same problem with the same television. Very frustrating ?
I also experienced lip-sync issues but managed to eliminate it.

My equipment and config:

LG OLED55C8 (HDMI ARC, DTV audio: Auto, AV sync adjustment: on, Bypass : on
Apple TV 4K (Change format:on, New format: Dolby Digital 5.1. Also enabled Match Frame Rate)
Sonos Beam (No change)
Sonos Ones x 2

This is the exact same Sonos setup I have and I am debating whether I should get a 65" C8 or wait for the C9 or new Sony A8G or A9G which shouldn't have these issues but will be more expensive.

By making the AV sync and bypass adjustments, do you lose any functionality on the Beam? Are you able to fully control it with the TV or cable box remote via HDMI ARC as intended?

I know myself and if I spend $2k on a TV plus what I have invested into the Sonos system, there is no way I am going to put up with it not working properly and having to do a work around to try to get it to work. I would rather wait a few months for the issues to be ironed out.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
Any news on this. I have a c7 and a c8 with a playbase and beam and honestly would not recommend Sonos to anyone with any of these OLEDs. I am getting sick to death of the terrible lip sync and waiting for a fix for this. I have been waiting for nearly 2 years in the c7s case. Bought a c8 for the front room thinking it would be ok, but absolute no difference. Only fix is to use it on pcm and NOT in Dolby Digital which then you will NOT get 5.1 and only stereo which defeats the object. Most people see when changed to PCM and everything is in sync don't realise they are only getting stereo. Absolute Rubbish.
Be Warned.
Badge
FWIW, I bought a splitter and am now going directly from Sonos to each device. This did resolve the sync issue & everything is working great. I don't think relying on a 3rd party is acceptable, but is what it is I suppose....

Which model of splitter did you use? Does it extract audio from HDMI or just split optical signals? Thanks!
Badge +1
I have that LG B8 and don’t get any lip sync lag through my beam (or playbar before it blow up) through the built in apps, uhd Blu-ray or Apple TV 4K but I do on my Xbox one x and PS4 weird.... but I can live with faux DD 5.1 on console and if my tv and movies are working perfect. I’m not updating anything just in case lol.