If you're experiencing audio delay issues, read this

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

551 replies

Im having the same audio delay with Samsung QLED as well. For example, If I use Bitstream and Dolby, there is audio delay. If I use Bitstream and PCM or stereo there is no audio delay. I have a surround sound 5.1 setup with Sonos speakers, so PCM does not work with surround sound.

When I call Samsung Support, they say it’s a Sonos problem, then when I call Sonos, they say it’s Samsung! How about these companies work together on behalf of the customers instead of having customers go through hoops to make make their tech work properly?
How would I use the external HDMI auto extractor to work for the onboard apps (through webos) as there's no HDMI based input for those apps. I was able to use the hdmi extractor for my Roku, and it's working fine, but I still mainly use the onboard apps, so I'm not happy.

Does anyone have a workaround for that?
Badge
Hi to all, same problem here even with the newest LG firmware.
OLED55C7V with 04.70.65 just updated two days ago.

The german LG support says they don't know anything about audio delays ... funny, mailed them a lot of forum-links.

I use a Ligawo 3080026 HDMI HDR Switch to solve the problem, but i would love to not have to use this additional peace of hardware.
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B06XTPQP4B/ref=pe_3044161_185740101_TE_item
Userlevel 2

Voice sync delay issue  Sonos Playbar, Sub, 2 Play:1s, Sony Bravia TV and Xfinity cable  

I am having the same problem with a Playbar, Sub and 2 Play1s as many others. For months, A temporary fix for me has been to change the channel and then immediately come back to the channel I was watching. And it’s fixed for a little while. Then the delay returns. Thinking it was the cable box I called Xfinity and got a replacement cable box. That didn’t fix it. Then I played with the delay options in the Sonos settings. That didn’t work. So I disconnected the optical cable and went back to TV audio. Guess what?  No sync issues Sonos!  So I’m guessing that it’s the optical interface that’s the problem. I am really angry about this because a lot of people are experiencing it, not just me or us. I am referencing your case # 171023-002526 and will post my own on this  

Sonos, please help us. 

Sonos can only play a sound as quickly as it is handed the sound on a digital input. All analog inputs are subject to the 70 ms delay for buffering that Sonos requires. 

It is indeed unfortunate that there are many TVs that apparently can’t pass through an HDMI input without processing and delaying that input. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Yes connected an opticle lead direct from sky q box to the beam no lipsync problems but this defears the object cant use any apps off the tv or even use the tv as a tv now its just a monitor for watching sky q
Userlevel 2
FWIW, I'm having the same issue. Have only really noticed it while playing a game on my Xbox One. When I play with headphones, everything is in perfect sync. When I play over the Sonos system, everything has a delay. After some searching, I was hoping to find a solution here, but no such luck. 😞
Yes, I agree CrispyRowe. TV companies are not going to design their “newest” equipment to work with Sonos. Sonos, can you do something about this audio delay issue that will make your customers less frustrated? You’re starting to get a bad rep from all these complaints. I am no longer recommending Sonos to friends when they get new TVs.
That's exactly what we were discussing. Perhaps if you wait for the previous poster to respond, after purchasing the device that was linked, you'll have an answer.
so excited to finally set up my system, but so disappointed in the sync as listed above, I wish I would have known about this. I'll call LG, but this seems crazy that this isn't fixed yet. What else do we need to do???

Sync Issue with:
LG OLED65B7A
SONOS PlayBar and SUB
Connections: Apple TV 4K > HDMI > LG > Optical > Playbar
I just want to make it clear that I'm not absolving TV manufacturers of the blame here. ARC to the Beam should work (as should optical to the PlayBar/Base). Purchasing a TV to find that features don't work as advertised is frankly unacceptable. I feel that the big TV manufacturers know this issue affects SONOS' public image more their own, so are less inclined to invest in a fix. The cause of the problem, and refusal to acknowledge, or fix it, lies squarely with the TV manufacturers.

SONOS, however, have options which would help alleviate the situation, but are stubbornly doing nothing, whilst (quite rightly) simply pointing the finger at the TV manufacturers. When did SONOS last even provide an update to this year and a half old, 12 page thread?
HI all

Just bought the beam. Got it set up on my Panasonic DX750B via ARC. I mainly use my 4K firestick for movies etc.

I am having lip sync problems when the TV is set output bitstream but totally fine with PCM. Has anyone fixed this issue without buying extra equipment as the beam is expensive enough.

I read on av forums that the only real difference between bitstream and PCM is where the processing is done. Like if you select bitstream on the TV then it is the TV that does the work but if you select PCM then the beam does the processing and the sound should be the same. Is this true?

I have a few days window to return the beam if necessary but it sounds good and I'd rather fix the stupid sync problems.

Thanks.

Now I had the same problem. I had 4 play three’s and recently got a connect amp. I looked more and more into having sound from my Panasonic tv to my speakers, so invested in a beam.

Now on the sound from my Sky Q going to my tv then to the beam via arc was spot on, on the normal setting. As soon as I switched to Dolby on Sky Q, I was getting delays via the hdmi arc on the tv, and also the optical output on the tv, yet from the optical from the sky to the beam was spot on.

Frustrated as I wanted control the beam, and also sound from PS4 and NAS, I kept looking into it and funny enough a customer where I worked suggested the tv wasn’t getting the sound quick enough from the sky to tv when set to Dolby, I only had £1 hdmi wires from pound shop, so I went out and spent £20 on two sets of wires, which said supported up to 4K video and Dolby, Dolby Atmos etc in sound, so used one cable to tv from sky, and other from tv arc to beam, and hey presto! No more sound delay.

Next time someone says all hdmi are the same, and your been ripped off for expensive ones, just try them and take them back if no change.

Check your hdmi wires and maybe test some 4K hdmi to see if it improves.
Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Audio Lag successfully conquered:

I now have the Cablebox to TV as HDMI for video. And discovered there is a Optical Output from the Cablebox which I used with Optical/HDMI adapter to run directly into the Beam. I'm going to get a 3-1 Optical adapter to ultimately connect all audio components including TV apps, BlueRay, and Cablebox.

https://jtechdigital.com/product/spdif-toslink-3x1/

the J-Tech audio switch has resolved my issues with the audio lag.

Ah, understood. There are many people that want to point the finger at Sonos. While Sonos does have some limitations, this isn’t one of them. 

Yea, optical only travels one way, so the Sonos can’t communicate back up the line to tell the TV what to do. Probably why the system is called HDMI-CEC, and not Optical-CEC :)

Hello there!

So i had Xbox One X with Samsung TU8500 and Sonos Beam: same audio delay issue we’re discussing here.
But today i bought Xbox Series X and that’s bad but the problem is identical and Series X doesn’t have an optical output

Any updates/news/taken actions, Sonos?

It might be easy just to switch to other vendor and get rid of Beam, but i wouldn't do that if fix arrives

Userlevel 1
Badge
I have found a partial solution to the audio sync issue for my lg c7 and playbar. I have set all device audio ( roku,Verizon set up box ) to Sterio. I also set audio sync on and tv with bypass on. It seems to solve lip sync problem but not optimum I hope LG really solves problem
Userlevel 1
Badge
I also chatted with LG and received the same standard answer that I read in the forum - known problem- engineers looking at it - no ETA- also frustrated and wonder whether LG is actively trying to solve issue
I'm having this problem with my Sony X800 TV and my sky box with the beam. Audio appears delayed. I nearly bought a Samsung TV to replace the Sony but then I read people are having problems with Samsung TVs too. Is there a definitive list of TVs that don't have this problem, or is there an HDMI switch/audio extractor that will cope with 4k@60Hz and HDR? Thanks.

On my LG GX, this problem didn’t seem to exist until very recently. It’s almost as if a recent FW update (on either the TV or Sonos Arc) caused it. And it’s realllllllly bad. 

Like others, I’m able to mitigate it by fiddling with the delay settings, but it seems impossible to get it “just right”. 

Badge +1
I’m having this problem too. It’s painful. Does anyone know if I bother to run optical from the LG to the Beam, then use hdmi from the beam to the Apple TV, does that fix it? I doubt it. I see the same problem using the built in YouTube app. I don’t have this problem at all with my playbar on another LG. If I could go back in time I’d have bought another playbar, but the appeal of one hdmi cable is why I bought the beam. Sonos if there’s any chance you could fix this in an update please say something .

Can anyone confirm that all my problems will go away if I get an eARC compatible TV?

No. I’m seeing this problem with my GX w/ eARC. Only appeared recently though. 

I have the same issue. Philips 55POS9002 OLED TV, Playbase and two Play 5's as surround. With the TV outputting DD 2.0 I have terrible lip sync issues. Switching TV to output Stereo improves the issue but it is not perfect.

Looking forward to someone taking the issue seriously.
I have this exact issue with my Philips 55OLED803 (which is on Android Oreo). If I use the TV's native apps for Netflix I can get 5.1 sound without any trouble (as shown in the Sonos App). If I try to get my PS4 Pro to use 5.1 Dolby Digital, it is paired with a delay of at least 0.5 sec.
For anyone that circumvented this issue by using a switch to extract the audio and connect straight to the Playbar: Which model is recommended to maintain the same level of video quality? (4k 60fps HDR)
Userlevel 1
Badge
This is either a sonos issue or tv manufacturer issue. I suggest , if you have not done so, contact support. We all want this issue resolved

At first thought I thought the 3x1 toslink from J-Tech that MSterling linked was the solution for me but this will only work if the source of the audio/video has an optical output, which my Apple TV 4K does not. The J-Tech 4K@60HZ HDMI Audio Extractor Converter SPDIF + 3.5MM Output solved my audio sync problem but with that installed between my cable box and the Samsung the only way to get audio from Apple TV to my Playbar is to switch out the HDMI in/outputs on the extractor. I’ve searched for an extractor with multi HDMI in/out ports and toslink but can’t find such a thing. Is there a solution for this I’m overlooking?