If you're experiencing audio delay issues, read this

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

551 replies

Got an Xbox One X, LG OLED C7 and just went all in on Sonos Arc, sub and play1 rears.

So disappointed to find the huge audio delay from my Xbox in Atmos mode... its terrible.

Try implementing the LG TV AV Sync adjustment feature, if your older model has this feature. See link…

https://www.lg.com/us/support/help-library/lg-tv-av-sync-adjustment-CT10000018-1387832191561

Thanks - yes already tried playing with that setting, made no noticeable difference. I think the main issue is the TV - I have ordered an HD Fury Arcana which will hopefully solve the issue.

Please keep us posted!

Also, just for information, what splitter or switch to you have to go with it?

Yep HD Fury Arcana fixes the issue, just received it today. I dont have a splitter or switch, only have Xbox into the Arcana….. Chromecast is plugged into tv. Audio working great on everything… xbox, tv apps, chromecast.

Annoyed I had to spend an extra $200usd to fix the issue, but glad its working.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hello everyone. Quick update: The team is aware of an issue with LG OLED and Sony XBR TV's using Dolby Digital and lip sync. It'd take a firmware update to fix it on the TV's side of things, but we have no word on that. This can be further tested and verified by changing the audio from Dolby Digital to PCM (Stereo) or by testing the audio with another optical audio source such as your cable box. Thank you for your patience on this so far.

Or you could have provided an hdmi option instead of an old unused optical option
Userlevel 1
Badge +2

If yiu have read through the audio delay problem you will know i have a Samsung tv 

Although it affects a lot of brands i suggest you find the email address of the ceo of the brand you use 

You should still be able to set up the Beam to respond to the IR from your remote. Just go into the room settings for the Beam, and reprogram the Beam to ‘see’ the remote there. 

Thanks, but I tried this and it didn't work (despite going into the TV settings and turning on "LG sound sync"). 

Userlevel 1
Badge
This issue is all over the internet. It seems like people give up.

I’m using a playbase, LG C7 oled, and Xbox one S. There’s a delay when the Xbox is set to bitstream surround, but not uncompressed stereo.

The way I mitigated the audio delay was by running my optical directly to the playbase, from the Xbox one s. Not ideal because you give up the TVs switch capability. but it works.

The problems everyone seems to be having originates at the hdmi to tv/ tv optical out to playbar playbase pass through.

The sonos app has an audio delay, but it doesn't seem to have any effect. Super frustrating.

I am using Xbox one x with bitstream out via hdmi to a hdmi switch and optical cable from switch to play base. This is only way I could solve lip sync issues.

I am using a view hd splitter from amazon that supports 4K @ 60hz with hdcp 2.2z This is needed for latest lg oled TVs c7 b7 and to support most hdr standards. If you invest in a Harmony Logitech remote you can control sonos tv splitter and Xbox from one source/activity. I would still prefer a hdmi option with aromos support. Ridiculous right now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B077J87HVV?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_yo_pop_mb_pd_t2

ViewHD
4.1 out of 5 stars 1,320 Reviews
ViewHD Prosumer 4K UHD 18Gbps HDMI 4x1 Switch Support HDMI v2.0 | HDCP 2.2 | HDR & Dolby Vision | ARC | Audio Extraction: Optical Audio Output | RS232 | Model: VHD-UHD4X1A

I have thought about this option... waiting and hoping LG fixes this.

I regret not researching this particular combo before, as anyone here knows the Sonos and Oled TVs are an expensive solution to not tearing your house up, or running cables everywhere.

What is really sad is that what is being acheieved is a rather basic form of surround... with really expensive equipment.

I would think there is a higher level individual at Sonos that may have a relationship with someone at LG.

We are all after all customers of both companies. Would it be too much to ask for this?

I am not blaming Sonos, but, you folks probably have industry contacts that could be made aware... at the very least on our behalfs.

@Airgetlam I don't fully understand the fundamental issue with HDMI ARC and the sound signals, but I was thinking perhaps a new product would bring a solution some other way. Thinking.only about the issues I've noticed... I don't get any lag over the PS4 with Linear PCM (but it's a Stereo 2.0 signal). I don't know if somehow the soundbar just doesn't do 5.1 unless it's Bitsteam, but my hope is for PCM 5.1 essentially, over HDMI ARC. Maybe it's a pipe dream, but I've got my fingers crossed something will get sorted out.

Just ordered a Beam and 2 one SLs, this will be my plunge into the Sonos ecosystem but I have read that Sony Bravia TVs seem to have some lip syncing issues. I have had similar issues with an HDMI ARC soundbar (TCL) that I just returned that was used with our 55” Sony X900E and this had lip syncing issues that I could not solve. I understand that it is the TVs fault in the way it processes the audio. To keep this short and sweet I will be using this with a 65” Sony X900H what is the best option to remedy this issue? Audio extractor, switch, etc? How does this affect controlling the volume on the beam as well?

Just looking to figure this all out before we move into our new home in November!

Beam should be here tomorrow.

Thanks,

If yiu have read through the audio delay problem you will know i have a Samsung tv 

Although it affects a lot of brands i suggest you find the email address of the ceo of the brand you use 

I don’t see what the brand name has to do with it being an OLED TV with HDMI-eARC? However, the audio extractor/switcher, as suggested by Bruce in his post above, is perhaps the only way you’re likely to presently resolve the TV lag issue. By by-passing the delays in the Samsung TV processor/ports, it should (hopefully) resolve your lip-sync problem.

Has anyone tried connecting a HDMI extractor with ARC support to the ARC port on the TV and the Playbar and seeing if the delay is fixed that way? Example product: https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Extractor-Splitter-Converter-Optical/dp/B078DZZ6HL/

The theory being the sync issue is introduced only in the optical port and not audio via ARC. The solution using external hdmi switcher with optical out box is inelegant.

I’m not an electrical engineer, so take my assumptions as such, but it’s pretty clear to me that if stripping out the audio before it reaches the TV using an HDMI switch, it’s evident that there is an issue with the handling of the Dolby Digital signal inside the electronics of the TV. I’d expect that a stereo (PCM) signal gets handled by different electronics, which is why the Dolby Digital signal is delayed, and the stereo signal is not. I think that’s a fair indicator that the issue isn’t on input, as I suggested in my previous post, but there must be some additional processing / pathway occurring when the signal is Dolby Digital. 

But yes, if and when Sonos adds more options for encoding to the audio stream for their home theater products, it’s possible that the TV will not delay that stream, and present it at the same speed that they do the stereo stream. But that still depends on the capability of the electronics in the TV, and has nothing to do with Sonos, for all practical purposes. 

So far, the only mention I’ve seen from Sonos is inferred to be about music encoding, nothing but speculation, including my own, about the Home Theater stream getting extra codec interpretation. 

And even if that occurs, there will be a significant amount of frustration from owners who currently use optical, as most other codecs are not able to be carried by optical due to limitations in bandwidth. I’m not looking forward to the posts of condemnation for Sonos having chosen such a transport method, although I suspect at the time that the PLAYBAR was designed, HDMI-ARC didn’t exist, or if it did, it wasn’t in wide enough use to make sense from a cost perspective to put it in to Sonos, and it wouldn’t have sold because, at the time, the majority of TVs wouldn’t have supported it.

But certainly, if the maker of the TV set handles the new codec stream in a different manner than they do for Dolby Digital, you’re absolutely correct. I have my doubts that they do/will, but who knows, other than the folks who created the TV set. 

We’ll have to see. My crystal ball seems to be broken ;)

Userlevel 1
Badge
I have tried every hdmi audio extractor/splitter under the sun and none of them fully work with the the different standards. Anyone thinking this will be a solution should give up on it. I spent a lot of time and money trying different solutions.
Also experiencing this issue, which is annoying. I get lip sync issues using the following:

- Playbar
- Sony 49XE9005
- Xbox One
- SKY HD box

The xbox and sky is connected to the TV via HDMI, with the playbar via Optical cable.

Any TV settings on the Sony which will improve this? and what setting on the tv dialog settings on the Sonos playbar? it seems to be intermittent on what setting I tend to use, can't make my mind up.

any help would be great thanks
Can someone tell me if this extremely simple setup will bypass this audio delay fiasco? I'm looking to buy the LG OLED C7 or B7 television.

LG OLED TV (C7 or B7)
Playbar
Apple TV

That's it. If I turn off Dolby and go with Stereo, does that fix the problem? I don't do Surround Sound.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2

FWIW, I still see lip sync delay with pass-through enabled. I have an LG C9 and Sonos Beam connected directly to the TV via the HDMI ARC port. 

I assume you are using the v04.70.05 firmware with your TV? See also the following...

I’m on v04.70.12, which is the latest in the US. I have HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color enabled since the TV connects directly to the Apple TV 4K. The TV connect via the HDMI ARC port to the Sonos Beam using the bundled HDMI cable (though I tried a Belkin Ultra High Speed HDMI cable as well). Do you have your TV outputting Bitstream or PCM? What are you AV sync settings in the Sound menu? Is the Apple TV outputting Dolby Atmos to the TV? 

Okay, I am very confused at this point. I was going for a PS4 Pro - LG C7 - Playbase (+Sub + 2 Play: 1) DD5.1 setup, but I guess I will have to deal with this sync issue then.
Would a optical audio splitter like this https://www.amazon.com/Portta-Toslink-Digital-Splitter-Dolby-AC3/dp/B00NBTRC4O/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1523445338&sr=8-8&keywords=optical+audio+splitter solve the issue for me?
I set PS4 audio output to optical, connect that directly to the splitter. Do the same thing for the TV. Connect splitter to Playbase. -> No delay issues?
Badge

Changing the optical setting to pass through instead of Auto has seemed to work for me.

Im running a LG Oled with the playbar 

Changing the optical setting to pass through instead of Auto has seemed to work for me.

Im running a LG Oled with the playbar 

Yes,  if playing a Movie/Channel (for example) from a Cable TV Box, or a similar device, attached to a TV’s HDMI Port, where the TV  has lip-sync issues, then switching to 'pass-through' makes complete sense. It’s like attaching the Cable TV Box direct to the Receiver/Beam/Soundbar, or to an audio splitter/extractor, as there is then no ‘middle man’ ...(The TV)... to delay things.

Some TV’s like the LG OLED models now have this pass-through option, which is excellent. 

It was for this reason (and a few others), that I also purchased the LG C9 TV, ...that, plus the fact it has the faster HDMI-eARC Ports.

See Table for Port comparison and note the maximum audio bandwidth and mandatory lip-sync correction requirement ...

Couldn’t agree more. I’m certain that Sonos isn’t instantaneous, either, but given how well it works in other TVs, as well as if you pull the audio out before it hits the TV, it’s hard to imagine anything other than the TV is the issue here. 

I appreciate the discussion from someone who is interested in the discussion, and is willing to consider all aspects of the situation. Rather frequently in these forums, people have decided that Sonos is the issue, and are not dissuaded by other perspectives. Sonos isn’t perfect, IMHO, but the fault on this issue is not them. But I’ve not found a better system out there, Sonos certainly meets the needs I have for now. Would love it to do more, and I hope in time, the opportunity for them to continue evolving will happen.

Stay safe, and have a lovely weekend!

Badge

I've been living with lip sync issues (audio behind the video) since I got my Playbar about a year ago but I finally decided to do something about it. After multiple conversations with Sonos support and the LG's support people (they kept blaming each other for the audio delay), I decided to email Sonos' CEO about the issue.

After a few hours, I got a reply back from him, CCing a team manager who was going to look into the issue. We scheduled a call and he had me send various diagnostics to him. He said that the engineering team was going to investigate and get back to me.

A week later, I got an update. He told that they are still working on the issue. He also said that only one other person had reported the same issue (I assume that means that only one other person with an LG TV). So, if you're having audio delay issues and you've tried all other troubleshooting, reach out to Sonos support and have them look into it. If it helps you might mention my reference number, which has already been escalated:

Keep in mind that my setup is pretty straight forward (LG C6 OLED TV connected directly to the Playbar via Optical, audio playing from the built-in apps) and every single thing LG and Sonos suggested, including going into the TV's service menu and changing things there.

I know there are multiple post on the topic so hopefully we can solve at least some of the issues causing audio delay.

Incredible to me that 3 YEARS LATER this is still an issue. What’s the deal, Sonos?!

My situation… I have an LG 55C7P OLED TV. I have three peripheral devices connected to it via the C7’s HDMI inputs -- a DirecTV box, 4K AppleTV and a 4K Blu-Ray player. 

My Sonos Arc Soundbar (along with Sonos Subwoofer and two Sonos Ones as rears) is connected using the HDMI-ARC port on my TV. I continue to have major audio sync issues with all three peripheral devices when they’re playing content with Dolby Digital or Dolby Atmos audio. There are no sync issues when I use the LG TV’s internal apps. The only way I can get rid of the sync issues is by switching the peripheral devices to PCM, but that, of course, defeats the purpose of having this INCREDIBLY EXPENSIVE SOUND SYSTEM I BOUGHT THAT DOESN’T WORK WITH A TOP LINE TV!

I may try the HD Fury Arcana, although they tell me I need to also purchase one of their 4K HDMI switchers, which isn’t an ideal solution because, 1) it means I can’t adjust the video for each device since they’ll all be going into the same input on the TV, and 2) between the Arcana and the HDMI switcher we’re talking another $600!!!

So, two questions for SONOS, or for anyone here who might be able to help me solve this.

1. Is Sonos planning on FINALLY, at long last, providing some sort of firmware update to the Sonos Arc soundbar (and their other soundbars) to fix this audio sync issue? I’m assuming the answer is no, but hey, I’d love to be wrong.
  2. Short of that, I’m considering upgrading my TV to a 65”. What TV’s, preferably an OLED type, work best with the Sonos sound system. I.E., they have ZERO audio sync issues? Can Sonos provide a LIST of TV’s that work best with the Arc Soundbar? Or, how about a list of TV’s that DON’T work with the Arc Soundbar? That feels like a reasonable request. (A Sonos rep I spoke to told me, on the sly, that the new Samsungs do not have issues. But then I read about all kinds of Samsungs that do. Has that changed?)

Thanks so much in advance for any help and thoughts on what I should do next. -- Ian

Believe it or not, this is actually an hdmi ARC protocol issue. The ARC standard does not mandate lip syncing and thus is not widely supported, or if it is, it's implemented differently among manufacturers. When you want to pass surround sound via Hdmi ARC, it must be done via bitstream (compressed audio such as 5.1 dolby digital) since arc does not support pcm uncompressed 5.1 (it is sent as two-channel stereo instead due to arc bandwidth limitations and other reasons I may be unaware of).

So if you want any audio delay issues to be 99% of the time fixed while utilizing Hdmi ARC / passthrough, you must send it as PCM two-channel audio. This is the downside of Hdmi ARC...it can introduce audio delays since when your TV has processed both the video and audio, it sends the compressed dolby digital or dts (both bitstream) to the audio receiver / sound bar and does not know how long that receiver or Soundbar will take to process that audio. Therefore, it is not uncommon for the audio to actually come after the video.

Unfortunately, most TVs are not able to delay the video to sync up with the delayed audio except for some very modern tvs (I believe samsung has a couple models that do this... They can delay both audio or video...so an audio delay and negative delay to match the video coming before the audio).

I am not sure why all TVs are able to delay audio but not the video since HDMI ARC has this common issue and nobody wants to output PCM uncompressed audio to their Soundbar receiver as it can only be passed through as two channel audio. It solves the issue of audio delay since the TV knows when it has processed each of the video and audio and can send both out at the same time and the receiver or sound bar simply has to then play the audio, rather than decompressing it from Dolby digital to output to its speakers as the directly playable pcm. 

To add to my earlier comment here and a mini guide on audio formats that is easier to understand (hopefully) than browsing websites and various forums to save people days on end:

1. eARC solves these issues. Lip syncing / AV sync is mandated for this standard.

2. If you did somehow have delay issues (unlikely), even with this mandated lip syncing support among all eARC devices, you could correct this by sending PCM on as uncompressed 5.1 or 7.1 audio over the eARC standard as it has higher bandwidth and can support all uncompressed audio formats and even lossless formats such as True HD decompressed and sent as PCM afaik. 

So basically, eARC will allow all of us to send whatever kind of audio we want and still maintain our source channels, whether it be 5.1, 7.1, etc, due to higher standards and bandwidth. I am unknowledgeable on this however as it relates to higher channel inputs/outputs above 7 channel though. No longer will it matter what settings we want to use as the input/output (with my exception above regarding my lack of knowledgeable above 7 channel) as on the other side it should always work in theory. 

For people who aren't able to follow due to having a hard time understanding this...as it currently stands:

PCM means you are taking your compressed Dolby Digital or DTS format and decompressing it ("larger size" now) to send over a cable (HDMI ARC or optical) to your output device (sound bar, audio receiver, surround, etc.) at that larger size of data. Since the TV is processing both the video and audio, it knows how to time both of these and audio sync delays delays are not likely.

Bitstream means you are simply sending your compressed Dolby Digital or DTS format and sending it through to your output device (sound bar, audio receiver, surround, etc.) over HDMI ARC or optical. This supports more outputs and formats without 5.1 being converted to 2.1 since more cables can handle data that is compressed / "a smaller size". It is the surround receiver / sound bar that then converts this compressed audio, which is why we may have an audio delay on our tvs since the TV does not know how long this other device will take to process the audio (unless that device shares how long it is taking to process the audio, as is mandated by the eARC protocol).

Optical and ARC:

- Supports stereo

- Supports "compressed"  dolby digital 5.1 (aka bitstream option - i.e. sending the compressed signal as is)

- Supports "compressed" dolby digital plus and DTS 5.1 (aka bitstream option - i.e. sending the compressed signal as is)

- If you have a dolby digital or DTS 5.1 source and you choose to output as PCM over optical or ARC, it will output as stereo since the cable / standard doesn't support a PCM (i.e. uncompressed) signal due to bandwidth and limitations of the standard) - this PCM option however will resolve lip sync issues since the TV is sending the audio to the surround receiver/sound bar all "ready to go and play" as it's already been processed by the TV and that surround receiver / sound bar simply has to play the signal (assuming you haven't used any crazy effects that add on to that output) without doing anything to it. 

eARC:

- Supports pretty much everything necessary today

Just don't get confused with compressed and uncompressed with lossy and lossless. Two different things. Compressed audio is simply like a zip file on a computer. All of the data is still in that folder, just a smaller compressed size. The zip file would be like a dolby digital or dts format. Uncompressed audio would be one of those zip files (dolby digital or dts) being extracted into their actual audio files (PCM), which are actually directly usable by the computer or in this case, the audio output device, whether it be a sound bar or surround receiver. Lossy audio files (dolby digital, dolby digital plus, dts) are like jpg images. Lossless audio files are like Tiff, raw, dng, png images (Dolby True HD, DTS-HD). An exception is Dolby Atmos, which is more of a channel type / extension that allows for height and spatial sound that doesn't rely on traditional channels.

Hope this helps all novices since it took me awhile to grasp everything!

So eARC would solve my lip sync issues? I would consider returning my Philips TV for a model with eARC if it solves my issues.

I've decided to go with the Sony 930e which has more nits and benefits greatly with Dolby Vision streaming over Netflix which is my primary means of consumption. No problems with Sonos.

The 930e has no risk of burn-in, unlike the OLEDs which is still unproven—and don't want the fiasco of going through customer support pokey hokey.
Badge
[quote=rubberduck]This issue is all over the internet. It seems like people give up.

I am using a view hd splitter from amazon that supports 4K @ 60hz with hdcp 2.2z This is needed for latest lg oled TVs c7 b7 and to support most hdr standards. If you invest in a Harmony Logitech remote you can control sonos tv splitter and Xbox from one source/activity. I would still prefer a hdmi option with aromos support. Ridiculous right now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B077J87HVV?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_yo_pop_mb_pd_t2

ViewHD Model: VHD-UHD4X1A

Are you aware of a similar product that has the same specs, but provides more than 4 HDMI inputs? I have 6 devices I'd like to connect, and this box is almost perfect for my needs.

Of course, if LG & SONOS could fix the audio delay issue, I wouldn't need an audio extractor and my options for this type of device would be greatly increased...

Thanks!

FWIW, I still see lip sync delay with pass-through enabled. I have an LG C9 and Sonos Beam connected directly to the TV via the HDMI ARC port. 

I assume you are using the v04.70.05 firmware with your TV? See also the following...

I’m on v04.70.12, which is the latest in the US. I have HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color enabled since the TV connects directly to the Apple TV 4K. The TV connect via the HDMI ARC port to the Sonos Beam using the bundled HDMI cable (though I tried a Belkin Ultra High Speed HDMI cable as well). Do you have your TV outputting Bitstream or PCM? What are you AV sync settings in the Sound menu? Is the Apple TV outputting Dolby Atmos to the TV? 

My TV is outputting Bitstream. DTV Audio setting is set to 'Auto', AV sync Adjustment is ‘off’.

Sonos does not support Dolby Atmos (either the DD+ or the TrueHD version) .. you need to output Dolby Digital 5.1 audio for your Apple TV.

Are you synching the sound and video across multiple screens with that device?
Badge

My Sonos Beam still has a lip-sync delay and i’m now considering an optical switch as many have said this solves the problem. 

How does this work exactly - i have searched you tube and can’t see anyone giving instructions to complete novices as to how to set this up. Have i got this right 

Tv’s Arc hdmi to the switch’s hdmi slot that says ‘out’ 

Optical adapter supplied by sonos into the slot that says toslink and then back into the beam.

Will that then get rid of the lip sync?

If i then put an amazon fire stick into one of the switchers hdmi ports would the sound play through that hdmi channel?

It all seems very confusing - i love the sound of sonos but the audio delays are maddening.

Any advice would be appreciated.

This is the switch that has been recommended.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Techole-Aluminum-Splitter-Switcher-Projector-Black/dp/B07KSYS2L4/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3HBURFEEVYAQW&dchild=1&keywords=hdmi+switch+4k&qid=1592232631&s=electronics&sprefix=hdmi+switch%2Celectronics%2C161&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyNTc2QzQ3V0UzUURaJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTEwMjc5M0pESDI5UUpLR0NNNiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzYyNTQ2MlM2SDhFTjc2VFVRRSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Can someone tell me if this extremely simple setup will bypass this audio delay fiasco? I'm looking to buy the LG OLED C7 or B7 television.

LG OLED TV (C7 or B7)
Playbar
Apple TV

That's it. If I turn off Dolby and go with Stereo, does that fix the problem? I don't do Surround Sound.

I have the LG C7, Sonos Playbase, and Apple TV 4k. With the Apple TV 4K, I've managed to pretty much negate any lip sync issues. I have the audio hard-set to Dolby Digital 5.1 in the Apple TV settings, vs "Auto" which is the default. Prior to setting audio to Dolby Digital, I did have to mess around with the LG's audio delay settings, but was pretty easily able to get to a point where it was negligible.

Can't say the same for my Xbox One X. Set it to DD 5.1 as well, but there's some pretty severe audio delay going on, which would be less of an issue if the Xbox had its own delay setting.