If you're experiencing audio delay issues, read this

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I've been living with lip sync issues (audio behind the video) since I got my Playbar about a year ago but I finally decided to do something about it. After multiple conversations with Sonos support and the LG's support people (they kept blaming each other for the audio delay), I decided to email Sonos' CEO about the issue.

After a few hours, I got a reply back from him, CCing a team manager who was going to look into the issue. We scheduled a call and he had me send various diagnostics to him. He said that the engineering team was going to investigate and get back to me.

A week later, I got an update. He told that they are still working on the issue. He also said that only one other person had reported the same issue (I assume that means that only one other person with an LG TV). So, if you're having audio delay issues and you've tried all other troubleshooting, reach out to Sonos support and have them look into it. If it helps you might mention my reference number, which has already been escalated:

Keep in mind that my setup is pretty straight forward (LG C6 OLED TV connected directly to the Playbar via Optical, audio playing from the built-in apps) and every single thing LG and Sonos suggested, including going into the TV's service menu and changing things there.

I know there are multiple post on the topic so hopefully we can solve at least some of the issues causing audio delay.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

551 replies

I have the same slight delay with dolby 5.1 through HDMI bitstream (switching to Linear PCM 'stereo' is fine, but obviously clearly lower quality) using ps3 and a Sony TV. very annoying, seems to be no setting on the TV to deal with it, and the SONOS controller audio delay only works with audio that's ahead of the picture, not behind. i noticed it on a Dolby TrueHD blu ray (The Godfather trilogy), don't know if that has any effect as opposed to standard Dolby 5.1?

Any chance you tried Game Mode on the input the PS3 is connected to?

No - can't find a Game Mode option on the TV actually. But as far as I can tell turning off 'Reality Creation' seemed to help.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I have a Verizon Fios 1100 (arris) STB box. The only way I can mostly eliminate lip sync is to change audio to stereo on the STB box. For my other devices Roku, blue ray player bypass appears to minimize issue I also will keep my LG C7. But wish LG, Verizon,Sonos could fix the issue

If anyone here is solving lip sync issues by setting to stereo you have just wasted 700 bucks. The whole point of sonos is to at least achieve surround sound through 3.1 or 5.1 switching to stereo is degrading the system. Buy a hdmi switch with audio splitting. It is ridiculous there is lip sync issues in first place. I paid 3k for an lg oled tv and still have to pay for a splitter to solve the problem. Sort out the firmware and provide and hdmi option in future
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hello everyone. Quick update: The team is aware of an issue with LG OLED and Sony XBR TV's using Dolby Digital and lip sync. It'd take a firmware update to fix it on the TV's side of things, but we have no word on that. This can be further tested and verified by changing the audio from Dolby Digital to PCM (Stereo) or by testing the audio with another optical audio source such as your cable box. Thank you for your patience on this so far.

Or you could have provided an hdmi option instead of an old unused optical option
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
This issue is all over the internet. It seems like people give up.

I’m using a playbase, LG C7 oled, and Xbox one S. There’s a delay when the Xbox is set to bitstream surround, but not uncompressed stereo.

The way I mitigated the audio delay was by running my optical directly to the playbase, from the Xbox one s. Not ideal because you give up the TVs switch capability. but it works.

The problems everyone seems to be having originates at the hdmi to tv/ tv optical out to playbar playbase pass through.

The sonos app has an audio delay, but it doesn't seem to have any effect. Super frustrating.

I am using Xbox one x with bitstream out via hdmi to a hdmi switch and optical cable from switch to play base. This is only way I could solve lip sync issues.

I am using a view hd splitter from amazon that supports 4K @ 60hz with hdcp 2.2z This is needed for latest lg oled TVs c7 b7 and to support most hdr standards. If you invest in a Harmony Logitech remote you can control sonos tv splitter and Xbox from one source/activity. I would still prefer a hdmi option with aromos support. Ridiculous right now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B077J87HVV?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_yo_pop_mb_pd_t2

ViewHD
4.1 out of 5 stars 1,320 Reviews
ViewHD Prosumer 4K UHD 18Gbps HDMI 4x1 Switch Support HDMI v2.0 | HDCP 2.2 | HDR & Dolby Vision | ARC | Audio Extraction: Optical Audio Output | RS232 | Model: VHD-UHD4X1A
Userlevel 1
Badge
This issue is all over the internet. It seems like people give up.

I’m using a playbase, LG C7 oled, and Xbox one S. There’s a delay when the Xbox is set to bitstream surround, but not uncompressed stereo.

The way I mitigated the audio delay was by running my optical directly to the playbase, from the Xbox one s. Not ideal because you give up the TVs switch capability. but it works.

The problems everyone seems to be having originates at the hdmi to tv/ tv optical out to playbar playbase pass through.

The sonos app has an audio delay, but it doesn't seem to have any effect. Super frustrating.

I am using Xbox one x with bitstream out via hdmi to a hdmi switch and optical cable from switch to play base. This is only way I could solve lip sync issues.

I am using a view hd splitter from amazon that supports 4K @ 60hz with hdcp 2.2z This is needed for latest lg oled TVs c7 b7 and to support most hdr standards. If you invest in a Harmony Logitech remote you can control sonos tv splitter and Xbox from one source/activity. I would still prefer a hdmi option with aromos support. Ridiculous right now.

ViewHD
4.1 out of 5 stars 1,320 Reviews
ViewHD Prosumer 4K UHD 18Gbps HDMI 4x1 Switch Support HDMI v2.0 | HDCP 2.2 | HDR & Dolby Vision | ARC | Audio Extraction: Optical Audio Output | RS232 | Model: VHD-UHD4X1A

I have thought about this option... waiting and hoping LG fixes this.

I regret not researching this particular combo before, as anyone here knows the Sonos and Oled TVs are an expensive solution to not tearing your house up, or running cables everywhere.

What is really sad is that what is being acheieved is a rather basic form of surround... with really expensive equipment.

I would think there is a higher level individual at Sonos that may have a relationship with someone at LG.

We are all after all customers of both companies. Would it be too much to ask for this?

I am not blaming Sonos, but, you folks probably have industry contacts that could be made aware... at the very least on our behalfs.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I am also concerned that both SONOS and LG are not responsive to us,their customers. I have spoken to both groups and they admit a problem exists. LG. stated it is a tv firmware issue but does not provide an ETA for a fix. It is a beautiful picture but the lack of quality sound diminishes the experience -I hope they communicate with us and provide a fix
Has anyone tried connecting a HDMI extractor with ARC support to the ARC port on the TV and the Playbar and seeing if the delay is fixed that way? Example product: https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Extractor-Splitter-Converter-Optical/dp/B078DZZ6HL/

The theory being the sync issue is introduced only in the optical port and not audio via ARC. The solution using external hdmi switcher with optical out box is inelegant.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I have tried every hdmi audio extractor/splitter under the sun and none of them fully work with the the different standards. Anyone thinking this will be a solution should give up on it. I spent a lot of time and money trying different solutions.
Also experiencing this issue, which is annoying. I get lip sync issues using the following:

- Playbar
- Sony 49XE9005
- Xbox One
- SKY HD box

The xbox and sky is connected to the TV via HDMI, with the playbar via Optical cable.

Any TV settings on the Sony which will improve this? and what setting on the tv dialog settings on the Sonos playbar? it seems to be intermittent on what setting I tend to use, can't make my mind up.

any help would be great thanks
I would start by turning off anything in the TV’s audio settings that do anything at all to the sound profile. Any extra SRS, or ‘extra surround’ kind of things would add a small amount of extra delay. The more the sound profile is modified by any device, the longer it takes to change the original signal, which is normally synced with the video.

With your setup, you could test by temporarily removing the optical cable from the TV, and hook it directly to the Sky HD box, assuming it has an optical port. That would tell you if the TV set is adding the delay or not.
Can someone tell me if this extremely simple setup will bypass this audio delay fiasco? I'm looking to buy the LG OLED C7 or B7 television.

LG OLED TV (C7 or B7)
Playbar
Apple TV

That's it. If I turn off Dolby and go with Stereo, does that fix the problem? I don't do Surround Sound.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I set my Verizon STB to PCM( stereo) and all other devices to stereo also- resolved all lip sync issues
Okay, I am very confused at this point. I was going for a PS4 Pro - LG C7 - Playbase (+Sub + 2 Play: 1) DD5.1 setup, but I guess I will have to deal with this sync issue then.
Would a optical audio splitter like this https://www.amazon.com/Portta-Toslink-Digital-Splitter-Dolby-AC3/dp/B00NBTRC4O/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1523445338&sr=8-8&keywords=optical+audio+splitter solve the issue for me?
I set PS4 audio output to optical, connect that directly to the splitter. Do the same thing for the TV. Connect splitter to Playbase. -> No delay issues?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Okay, I am very confused at this point. I was going for a PS4 Pro - LG C7 - Playbase (+Sub + 2 Play: 1) DD5.1 setup, but I guess I will have to deal with this sync issue then.
Would a optical audio splitter like this https://www.amazon.com/Portta-Toslink-Digital-Splitter-Dolby-AC3/dp/B00NBTRC4O/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1523445338&sr=8-8&keywords=optical+audio+splitter solve the issue for me?
I set PS4 audio output to optical, connect that directly to the splitter. Do the same thing for the TV. Connect splitter to Playbase. -> No delay issues?

Yes that will solve it. Any device that has an optical out can be plugged into the splitter and then the audio won’t be delayed as it bypasses the TV. It’s only devices that don’t have an optical out such as Apple TV, Nvidia Shield and others that are affected due to the TV not passing the 5.1 signal.
I've decided to go with the Sony 930e which has more nits and benefits greatly with Dolby Vision streaming over Netflix which is my primary means of consumption. No problems with Sonos.

The 930e has no risk of burn-in, unlike the OLEDs which is still unproven—and don't want the fiasco of going through customer support pokey hokey.
Badge
[quote=rubberduck]This issue is all over the internet. It seems like people give up.

ViewHD Model: VHD-UHD4X1A

Are you aware of a similar product that has the same specs, but provides more than 4 HDMI inputs? I have 6 devices I'd like to connect, and this box is almost perfect for my needs.

Of course, if LG & SONOS could fix the audio delay issue, I wouldn't need an audio extractor and my options for this type of device would be greatly increased...

Thanks!
Are you synching the sound and video across multiple screens with that device?
Can someone tell me if this extremely simple setup will bypass this audio delay fiasco? I'm looking to buy the LG OLED C7 or B7 television.

LG OLED TV (C7 or B7)
Playbar
Apple TV

That's it. If I turn off Dolby and go with Stereo, does that fix the problem? I don't do Surround Sound.

I have the LG C7, Sonos Playbase, and Apple TV 4k. With the Apple TV 4K, I've managed to pretty much negate any lip sync issues. I have the audio hard-set to Dolby Digital 5.1 in the Apple TV settings, vs "Auto" which is the default. Prior to setting audio to Dolby Digital, I did have to mess around with the LG's audio delay settings, but was pretty easily able to get to a point where it was negligible.

Can't say the same for my Xbox One X. Set it to DD 5.1 as well, but there's some pretty severe audio delay going on, which would be less of an issue if the Xbox had its own delay setting.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I have changed the sound on my cable box,Roku,and blue ray player to PCM and all my lip sync issues disappeared I have an LG OLED C7P. Obviously either LG or SONOS fixing the issue is optimal and hope it will eventually get fixed
I honestly think the issues lies inside the PlayBar when Dolby 5.1 is being used, the PlayBar must be doing some type of processing causing an audio delay. Nothing we can do besides never use Dolby 5.1 OR use an HDMI audio extractor so the PlayBar gets the Audio before the TV even processes the image but then you'll have to constantly change the audio delay based on 5.1 or 2ch.
As far as the LG C7 is concerned, I had the exact same sorts of audio delay issues with another sound bar, both via Optical and using the HDMI ARC input, while using other inputs (cable box, Xbox, etc). All native apps worked fine. Insofar as LG TVs are concerned, I think there's some laggy processing going on.
As far as the LG C7 is concerned, I had the exact same sorts of audio delay issues with another sound bar, both via Optical and using the HDMI ARC input, while using other inputs (cable box, Xbox, etc). All native apps worked fine. Insofar as LG TVs are concerned, I think there's some laggy processing going on.

See if your TV is outputting PCM Stereo or Dolby Digital 5.1, you can see this on the Sonos App.

See if your TV is outputting PCM Stereo or Dolby Digital 5.1, you can see this on the Sonos App.

I've got a full 5.1 setup with Sonos Ones as the rears, so I'm not running PCM Stereo, though that does seem to eliminate any audio delay.
Same issue exists with the new LG OLED65C8PUA. I used an optical splitter, and this seems to fix the issue. As an added note, for those of you with a PS4/Pro that watch Blu-Ray movies, if you are only getting stereo, use the optical output (only reason I had the splitter) to have your PS4/Pro output 5.1
I'm have the same issues. But my setup does not include a playbar or a playbase. I'm using an LG OLED B7, set up by a regular 3.5mm mini jack audio cable to a paired set of gen2 Play:5's. As other users are describing, the sync occurs when the sound input is sorround, and not when it's in stereo.
That means when watching Netflix, I can set the audio to stereo and have a descent experience, but other streaming services don't offer that option.
My sound settings on the TV does not offer many options when it's set to using external speakers, and I am using the "bypass" sync option as well.