If you're experiencing audio delay issues, read this

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I've been living with lip sync issues (audio behind the video) since I got my Playbar about a year ago but I finally decided to do something about it. After multiple conversations with Sonos support and the LG's support people (they kept blaming each other for the audio delay), I decided to email Sonos' CEO about the issue.

After a few hours, I got a reply back from him, CCing a team manager who was going to look into the issue. We scheduled a call and he had me send various diagnostics to him. He said that the engineering team was going to investigate and get back to me.

A week later, I got an update. He told that they are still working on the issue. He also said that only one other person had reported the same issue (I assume that means that only one other person with an LG TV). So, if you're having audio delay issues and you've tried all other troubleshooting, reach out to Sonos support and have them look into it. If it helps you might mention my reference number, which has already been escalated:

Keep in mind that my setup is pretty straight forward (LG C6 OLED TV connected directly to the Playbar via Optical, audio playing from the built-in apps) and every single thing LG and Sonos suggested, including going into the TV's service menu and changing things there.

I know there are multiple post on the topic so hopefully we can solve at least some of the issues causing audio delay.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

551 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
I can confirm that direct optical connection from the STB or Blu Ray player produces no lag and is perfectly in sync for multi channel audio. I’ll update you after the service team come and replace the main board on the TV tomorrow. :(

Why are you bothering with all that??? It’s a software issue!
Badge
LG insisted they do it and deny any record of an existing issue, hardware or software. Have you got evidence that it is software, as I would like to block the repair if it’s unnecessary.
Userlevel 1
Badge
LG insisted they do it and deny any record of an existing issue, hardware or software. Have you got evidence that it is software, as I would like to block the repair if it’s unnecessary.

This whole thread and multiple other threads across the internet are proof enough. LG know of the issue but unfortunately their front line customer service are clueless. The issue is the ability to pass through 5.1 audio from a HDMI source. The 2016, 2017 and 18 models have the issue.
Badge
I have read the threads and agree that the majority believe it is a software problem. However, could it be a on board firmware issue that has been resolved by a updated component? I realise that this is clutching at straws, but this whole thing is so frustrating, and difficult to get to the bottom of. Thanks for the responses all the same.
Userlevel 1
Badge
It’s up to you. There were people who had the same done to no avail.
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
It's absolutely disgusting that between LG especially and Sonos that this hasn't been worked out. This is all very expensive equipment that people work hard to pay for, and you get two products which cant even get something so fundamental like Lip Sync right?

I keep checking for a class action lawsuit to be started against LG. Their frontline staff are absolutely useless and just knowingly make things up to get people off the phone. Don't underestimate their desire to wear everyone out until the issue just stops being talked about and we just forget we are using stereo on our TV's instead of Dolby.

As for Sonos, get with the last decade and put a darn HDMI Port on your Playbar and Playbase. HDMI ARC would have solved this whole issue.
Userlevel 1
Badge
100% agree but I don’t think it’s a Sonos issue personally. I think it’s LG. It’s works perfect over optical only. So it’s something to do with the HDMI pass through ability of LG TV’s. I am not sure if a HDMI port would help. We’ll see if anyone reports issues with Beam.
Badge
Hi all,
As predicted by some on here, the main board replacement had no tangible effect on the lip sync issue. The engineer has escalated this with his base, who will advise LG of the outcome. Hopefully another voice to a growing chorus of discontent at the contempt LG are displaying towards their customers.
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
Hi all,
As predicted by some on here, the main board replacement had no tangible effect on the lip sync issue. The engineer has escalated this with his base, who will advise LG of the outcome. Hopefully another voice to a growing chorus of discontent at the contempt LG are displaying towards their customers.

LG just take the p**s they really do. I work as frontline IT Support for a major tech company and I wouldn't have a job if I behaved the way the clowns at LG do.

They really just have no care about wasting people's time with things they must know wont fix anything, just to wear them down. I really think for the amount of money we pay, someone high up at Sonos should be our advocate with this. It will mean more to LG coming from Sonos.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
So is it safe to say if you have an OLED television stay away from Sonos for now for home theater? I guess we don't know on the beam yet but that seems more like a bedroom speaker then main room..
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
So is it safe to say if you have an OLED television stay away from Sonos for now for home theater? I guess we don't know on the beam yet but that seems more like a bedroom speaker then main room.. I think the beam looks great (Aside from lack of HDMI Passthrough). It's probably worth seeing how the reviews stack up against the Playbar when it is actually released.

Sonos could make the Beam far more attractive to home theatre users if they allowed us to use it as a centre channel with 2 other Sonos units as front left and right speakers. Now that would be amazing!
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
So is it safe to say if you have an OLED television stay away from Sonos for now for home theater? I guess we don't know on the beam yet but that seems more like a bedroom speaker then main room.. I think the beam looks great (Aside from lack of HDMI Passthrough). It's probably worth seeing how the reviews stack up against the Playbar when it is actually released.

Sonos could make the Beam far more attractive to home theatre users if they allowed us to use it as a centre channel with 2 other Sonos units as front left and right speakers. Now that would be amazing!

I just hope the beam doesn't suffer from audio delay, it's a deal breaker if so.. as far as the beam as a center channel I agree that would be amazing but they didn't release it that way and seems unlikely that things will change.
As has been stated before, the delay is within the TV, and not the BEAM. And it's not a center channel only, it's the center, left and right in a single enclosure.
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
As has been stated before, the delay is within the TV, and not the BEAM. And it's not a center channel only, it's the center, left and right in a single enclosure. Where did any of us say the delay wasn't in the TV? From many reports online, it is stated the issue is with the TV Optical port though, so many of us are hoping the Beam having a HDMI port wont suffer from the same problem due to being connected to the TV via ARC.

Also, no-one said the beam is a centre channel only. Just that it would be good to be able to use it that way with 2 other separate sonos speakers as front left and right. This is purely a suggestion to Sonos.
Sorry, I was responding to the statement "I just hope the beam doesn't suffer from audio delay,", but you do have a point, assuming that you're connecting with the HDMI cable rather than the optical cable. I would expect that if it was connected with the optical cable, it would have the same delay.

I'd be fascinated to hear from someone who can test this.
Hello

I am a french user with a TV LG 55C7V and I have the same delay issue with my Playbar. I wish I rode this issue before.

I sent both an e-mail to Sonos and LG support last week mentionning this forum link. LG has not even responded.

After a lot of e-mails for one week, Sonos support said they are working on it.

How is it possible that such a problem which last for almost one year is not solved?
In my opinion, it is most likely because it is an issue with the LG doing something that is causing the optical signal to be delayed out of the TV, and Sonos has not been able to create a time machine to receive the optical signal before it has been sent.

It's unfortunate that it isn't a Sonos issue, I believe that Sonos would have already fixed it, if it was on their side of things. But they have to play what they receive across the optical cable when they receive it.

I'm anxious to find out if there's a possibility that the BEAM may not suffer this issue when it is connected via HDMI.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
In my opinion, it is most likely because it is an issue with the LG doing something that is causing the optical signal to be delayed out of the TV, and Sonos has not been able to create a time machine to receive the optical signal before it has been sent.

It's unfortunate that it isn't a Sonos issue, I believe that Sonos would have already fixed it, if it was on their side of things. But they have to play what they receive across the optical cable when they receive it.

I'm anxious to find out if there's a possibility that the BEAM may not suffer this issue when it is connected via HDMI.

Early reviews seem good on that front, your earlier post about delay over optical with it were correct, one reviewer said using the optical adapter he couldn't quite get the audio synced up but using the HDMI proved seamless I believe he was using an LG OLED as well.
Which unfortunately confirms my guess that it's something in the LG that is delaying the optical signal...but good news for some. Now, if we can get Sonos to come out with a PLAYBAR that has HDMI to complement the BEAM... 🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Which unfortunately confirms my guess that it's something in the LG that is delaying the optical signal...but good news for some. Now, if we can get Sonos to come out with a PLAYBAR that has HDMI to complement the BEAM... :)

Interestingly he actually doesn't mention if he tests the optical connection with his OLED here's part of what he said " In testing with my ancient-but-beloved Pioneer Kuro, the optical connection worked fine, but I couldn’t dial in the audio sync — the Beam was always a hair delayed. But honestly, if your TV is a decade old, it’s probably worth upgrading the picture before you work on the sound.

Moving back to the present, the Beam worked seamlessly over ARC with my 2016 LG B6 OLED TV " my guess is it would still suffer delay over optical, I also 2nd your hopes for a playbar with HDMI! That would be a day 1 purchase for me.
« In my opinion, it is most likely because it is an issue with the LG doing something that is causing the optical signal to be delayed out of the TV, and Sonos has not been able to create a time machine to receive the optical signal before it has been sent »

Could not have been a problem of process on Sonos to »translate » the LG signal and to diffuse it on the different speakers?

My complaint was for LG too. They are supposed to fix any bug on their firmware and like I said they are not responding.
Moreover, it semed that such delay problem often occurs (I have seen post about some Tv models from Philips, Sony or some Times on Samsung?
So it suggests that exhange between TV industry and Sonos are necessary.

At least, I found on this forum that the delay on LG TV concerns other soundbar and it is not exclusive to Sonos
https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-oled-c7-lg-sh7b-sync-issues.2111274/page-4

Problem confirmed to be on LG
Well, I took delivery of a Playbase and two Play:1 speakers last night to go with my new Sony KD55AF8 TV. I am getting this audio lag. Have been looking at all these threads for hours. It seems that Sony was mentioned early as being affected but now the focus is on LG. Was there a fix for Sony TVs? If not, I’m sending the Sonos equipment back.
Screen of this Sony is OLED TV. I rode that Sony uses the same LG OLED screen. Could there be a link?
I too am having the sync issue with a Sony. It’s a X690E. Same thing, read every string I can find. Seemingly no resolution for Sony TVs, and this string which is the most current and active is focused on LG TVs, I’ve tried tweaking every relevant setting on my TV, cable box and Sonos app over the past few days. Some channels have the problem worse than others but ultimately it’s totally unacceptable. I haven’t seen any customer service from rep from Sonos jumping onto these strings which is very disappointing for such a high end but highly flawed product, Waiting for someone to prov the magic solution but seems unlikely.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I too am having the sync issue with a Sony. It’s a X690E. Same thing, read every string I can find. Seemingly no resolution for Sony TVs, and this string which is the most current and active is focused on LG TVs, I’ve tried tweaking every relevant setting on my TV, cable box and Sonos app over the past few days. Some channels have the problem worse than others but ultimately it’s totally unacceptable. I haven’t seen any customer service from rep from Sonos jumping onto these strings which is very disappointing for such a high end but highly flawed product, Waiting for someone to prov the magic solution but seems unlikely.
In my case an HDMI switch fixed the audio delay, I know it sucks to have to add another device but might be worth a shot in your case.