Answered

Spotify skips to next song or stops playing, other sources work just fine meanwhile

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

269 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

Please submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos app after you experience the playback issues. Reply here with the confirmation number and I'll take a look.
Hi, I just posted this new thread (https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-one-spotify-stops-playing-then-skips-to-next-song-6829235) and then discovered this thread which seems to be the hub of support for this topic. My diagnostic number is 167300212.

Spotify songs frequently stop playing, goes silent for a few seconds, then skips to the next song in the playlist.

• Two Sonos Ones in stereo mode
  • Currently a wireless connection (though this problem happened I had one wired too)
  • I have two different permanent IP addresses reserved for each Sonos One.
  • I have a Netgear Orbi two-unit (one base, one satellite) system, and the Sonos Ones are wirelessly connected to the satellite which is about 6 feet away on the other side of a standard interior wall.
  • I have fast internet (400Mbps down, 20 up) and frequently use VoIP for hour long work calls with no issues if that's any evidence that I have good WiFI + internet).
  • WiFi is set to channel 1, next door neighbor is channel 8. I live in a suburban neighborhood and only 2-3 other networks show up.
  • I have a baby video monitor in the house, but the camera is upstairs ~30 feet away and the screen unit is usually not within 10 feet of the speakers, and skipping occurs even when it is upstairs too, far away.
Curious to see what my diagnostic says!

Thanks.
Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi there @RonSingapore,

Did you wire the Playbar to the satellite or did you wire something else to the primary node? 

Can you submit an updated diagnostic report from your system so I can offer more accurate advice?  

Thanks for the prompt response...my only complaint is that I have spent the last week troubleshooting.  I’ve scoured this forum, I feel like this notice should have been more prominent.  Would have saved me hours of messing around!

Looking forward to a fix - thanks again for your help.

Hi I just sent it after we had 2 or 3 songs cut out mid song then music start with the next song.
Diagnostics Confirmation number: 1518071375
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi I just sent it after we had 2 or 3 songs cut out mid song then music start with the next song.
Diagnostics Confirmation number: 1518071375

Thanks for sending in the report. It came through with some formatting errors, making it hard to read. I do see that your speakers are showing some wireless communication errors. If you have a Sonos unit wired into your network with an ethernet cable, please try changing the wireless channel on your Sonos system to help reduce wireless interference.

If your Sonos system connects to your home wireless network, you can try changing the wireless channel on your router instead. We usually recommend using channels 1, 6 or 11 as these do not overlap.

It may also help to take a look around and in between your Sonos speakers. See if there are any third party wireless electronics nearby which could be causing interference. Common sources of interference include cordless phones, wireless cameras, wireless baby monitors, and wireless printers. Try moving any similar device away from your Sonos speakers and see if things improve.

If the above steps do not help, please send along a new diagnostic report and reply here with the number.
Diagnostics 1359762563

Just started having the issue about 2 days ago. Tried resetting router, uninstalling and reinstalling app. Was going to try to deauthorize Spotify on sonos app, but there’s a glitch and the window pops up and immediately closes again.
Userlevel 4

I have been having the same issue as many others with songs not encoded correctly or skipping with Spotify. A couple of things I noticed when I add a song to the queue it usually will not play. If I catch it when this occurs I can hit pause then reverse and the song will play.  I have also noticed that when playing a Spotify playlist, a song will play for a few seconds and fade out to the next song. If your not paying attention you may not catch it. This started for me about a month ago after one  of the updates. I read that Sonos is aware of this and is working with Spotify to fix this. It would be helpful if Sonos would send an email regarding this plus post it where everyone can easily read about it instead of having everyone jump through hoops trying to fix it when you know there is an issue. I waited awhile before posting about this thinking Sonos would fix the issue.  No such luck. 
Ive done the rebooting the router and unplugged my 3 speakers. The problem still exists.  

Userlevel 1
I have submitted a report with id 1801998003 after the speaker named Bathroom had cut out and refused to play for a while.
Hello there, newsea. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. I was able to get a closer look at your diagnostic report and noticed that most of the system is having a hard time maintaining a steady connection to the network. While this may not be a problem for some music services, I know Spotify to be reliant on a strong and solid connection. That being said, if you plug any one of your Sonos devices into the router using an Ethernet cable, do the issues persist? Let us know the results.

Hey, Poull! Based on the diagnostic results, it seems that you have Sonos set up wirelessly on a network that uses wireless extenders. This causes a number of problems when routing music data along to Sonos. Could you tell us a little more about your local network? How is it laid out? Do you have any network switches or access points? What is the model of the Sagemcom router you are using?

The outage is roughly 24 hours old. It would be challenging to troubleshoot any other issues you may be having while the Spotify servers are down. I’d wait until the Spotify issues are resolved, as indicated on the status page, and if you’re still having an issue, then submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this issue, and contact Sonos Support to discuss it. 

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, and are available Monday through Friday during business hours. Twitter support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution. 

My sonos keeps skipping Spotify tracks. It will say it couldn't buffer. 

Diagnostic 1665991096

Can you help? 

Encountering the same problem. 

• What devices do you have?

Symfonisk book shelf

• Has anything changed on the network?

No

• Which service(s) are you trying to listen to?

Spotify, saved to device or streaming is the same 

• Is the behaviour always the same?

Yes. Skips every now and then.

• Can you recreate it with ease, or is it random?

Random, but regular. At least once a day.

Diagnostic info: 1251937132

Userlevel 1
The model of the modem is FAST3890_D0. Besides the modem only serves as a switch, DHCP server and have wifi disabled. I have a Unifi access point wired to handle the wireless signal which is what you might have thought was an extender. The modem is somewhat new but the access point i have used for years with sonos without problems.
Poull: Understood. As a test, please unplug all Sonos devices from power and plug a Play:1 into the FAST3890_D0 by Ethernet. Does Spotify skip or stop? We are plugging into the FAST3890 is that this is what is giving DHCP to the rest of the network and gives us the most direct connection to the Internet and Spotify.

Thanks!
Badge

@storebatfar @Nuff Bass @Boncholio @LMaris @Jamanda @LukasOnTheRun @Gwenddoleu @kevinyim @aaronnicholl @seb.a.james99 Thank you for reaching out us here in the Sonos Community. If you are still having the issues with the Spotify music service with your Sonos system then please confirm for us if anything changed after doing the steps provided in the Best Answer for this post thread? I ask as the diagnostic reports that most of you have submitted show you are being hit with wifi interference and network equipment performance issues for Sonos.

If you have not followed the Best Answer steps then please do and follow up with a new diagnostic report number here along with those testing results. If you have followed those steps and are still having the issues with Spotify then we will need your full network topology with the model names and numbers of the products that are wired or wirelessly connected on your network for any modem, router(s), extenders, access points or switches (managed or unmanaged). The reason for this is some of your diagnostic reports indicate that you are using more than one network router from your Internet Service Provider and have added another router like a mesh system to your network adding to network interference, as well as some of you are using Enterprise grade network equipment and may need the settings corrected for them.

Before I would ask you to call in for live agent phone support I would strongly recommend that you at the very least you please power re-boot off your wifi equipment for 30 seconds with no lights on it, meaning no battery backup, then power it back up. While this equipment is powering back on then power re-boot off your Sonos units for the same time with no lights and plug them back in to power, no button pressing is needed. While Sonos products are powering on then re-boot the device(s) running the Sonos app. When you are re-connected then test your Spotify playback for 30+ minutes. You can follow up here with the testing results and a new diagnostic report number for us to compare.

Lastly, if after you have gathered your network topology, adjusted any network settings, completed a full wifi network and Sonos product(s) re-boot and are still having the audio issues then I would recommend you call in to our agents for further troubleshooting as they will have more tools available to them.

Mine is hardwired but I’ll do as you suggest and report back. Thanks. 

Userlevel 1
The issue still exists but i simply haven't had the chance yet to lay out a cable across floors to the speakers so it will still be some time before i can get around to test it. Sometimes it might be hours between skips/stop so simply sitting around next to the modem waiting for it to happen is not really an option 🙂

Hi,

This is clearly a Sonos/Spotify problem, even the agent I spoke with admitted it. Instead of trying to avoid the responsability by repeating these steps over and over, why doesn’t Sonos simply make a public announcement about this? Sonos is clearly trying toi save some time because it doesn’t know what the problem is on its own end. This is quite frustrating and Im thinking that maybe this is the end for Sonos.

Badge

Hi @wentzel thank you for providing the diagnostic confirmation number from your system.

It looks like the connection to the Spotify server is timing out.  Your current router channel is set to 1 which looks a little busy, you may want to change it to 6 or 11. Do you have multiple Ubiquiti access points or just one?

If you un-group your players and play Spotify to only one player, is there any change in the playback?

Was your system previously using Sonosnet with a Sonos player wired to the network?

I can see that your Connect has not been added back to this system yet, is this by choice or is it also giving you difficulty?  

Yes I have been playing around with the different channels, as per the instructions in Sonos recommendations to reduce interference. I just ended up on channel 1 right now. Today I switched my home wifi to channel 11 (not the Sonos channel), and it's still skipping, grouped, as well as ungrouped. It's hard to tell if it's more or less often, it seems to be worse in periods and the it can be good for an hour or so.

I just have one access point and yes, before the move I had one connected by Ethernet cable.

The Connect is not connected right now on purpose. I'll connect it as we get more order in the household (it's in a box somewhere right now, and I don't know which one...)

Just happened again, so these diagnostics are captured a few seconds after the skip: 2041535818

Userlevel 1
I have moved my wifi access point to another location but about at the same distance and since then i have not experienced any drops or stops. I still think spotify and sonos together have an issue when the wifi signal is not optimal as other sources than spotify still worked.

@Gwenddoleu @Jamanda @Carrow1 Thank you for the follow up and the feedback. @Gwenddoleu and @Jamanda As previously asked, after you have completed the Best Answer steps as well as the steps in my previous post that if you are still having the issue to then please call in for phone support as they will have more tools available to them.

@Carrow1 I see that you have an ongoing phone case and our agents will assist you further from there moving forward.

Thank you for reaching out us here in the Sonos Community. If you are still having the issues with the Spotify music service with your Sonos system then please confirm for us if anything changed after doing the steps provided in the Best Answer for this post thread? I ask as the diagnostic reports that most of you have submitted show you are being hit with wifi interference and network equipment performance issues for Sonos.

If you have not followed the Best Answer steps then please do and follow up with a new diagnostic report number here along with those testing results. If you have followed those steps and are still having the issues with Spotify then we will need your full network topology with the model names and numbers of the products that are wired or wirelessly connected on your network for any modem, router(s), extenders, access points or switches (managed or unmanaged). The reason for this is some of your diagnostic reports indicate that you are using more than one network router from your Internet Service Provider and have added another router like a mesh system to your network adding to network interference, as well as some of you are using Enterprise grade network equipment and may need the settings corrected for them.

Before I would ask you to call in for live agent phone support I would strongly recommend that you at the very least you please power re-boot off your wifi equipment for 30 seconds with no lights on it, meaning no battery backup, then power it back up. While this equipment is powering back on then power re-boot off your Sonos units for the same time with no lights and plug them back in to power, no button pressing is needed. While Sonos products are powering on then re-boot the device(s) running the Sonos app. When you are re-connected then test your Spotify playback for 30+ minutes. You can follow up here with the testing results and a new diagnostic report number for us to compare.

Lastly, if after you have gathered your network topology, adjusted any network settings, completed a full wifi network and Sonos product(s) re-boot and are still having the audio issues then I would recommend you call in to our agents for further troubleshooting as they will have more tools available to them.

Same problems here. Diagnostic ID 503571227
Badge

Just chiming in once more. I tested all of last week - even took notes - and I have very few issues. Mostly at startup if anything, where it would take anywhere between 10-30 seconds for music to start playing, but only one time did I notice a dropout at all, nothing compared to what it was previously. 7 days strong and I’m confident in Spotify integration. Hopefully, nothing changes from here, but whatever was fixed, thank you!! 

Same here 904077638