Answered

Spotify skips to next song or stops playing, other sources work just fine meanwhile

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

269 replies

Badge +1
All my Sonos devices are ethernet connected (wire) and Sonos(since friday 13th sept 2019) skips to next song over and over when I try to play Spotify-music.
Sonos simply failes to connect to Spotify-servers anymore.

If I have a unique problem since friday in my homw - it is not WiFi related.
We have not changed anything in our network router och firewall for ages.
I'm thinking the problem is elsewere.

Spotify works flawlessly on all other devices like smartphones or PCs running in the same network, both on WiFi and Ethernet/Wired.

I have had Sonos for 11 years now, perhaps it is time to throw it out?

The Sonos app say we have the latest software (1.4, build 521369030)

I have sent Support Diagnostic and got # 1021421523
y play 11works fine with ethernet cable but I want my music away from the router.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @StefanieSB, welcome to the Sonos Community and  I’d be happy to assist you. I also appreciate you reaching out here and submitting a diagnostic. Have you checked other music/radio services if you’ll get the same problem? It’s more than a month since you rebooted your speakers, try to refresh the whole set up. Disconnect all Sonos from power and the same goes with your network devices like modem, router, access points. After 5-10 seconds, connect all the network devices and wait until it’s back and working. Once the internet is working again, connect all Sonos back to power. Observe if it will make any difference and submit another diagnostic. Just let us know and reply to us with the confirmation number. We and the community are always here to help.

Hi I am having this issue of songs playing for around 20s then skipping. Sometimes playback stops completely needing manual intervention to restart.
  • I have 4 "Play:1"s grouped and a bridge
  • Nothing has changed on my network
  • Spotify
  • Behaviour seems a little unrepeatable in terms of the playback duration is always slightly different
  • It is fairly common lately but seems to be a bit random
Diagnostics confirmation number is: 1123297514

Added my diagnostic number above, no response at all from Sonos?

I have the same problem with sonos/spotify and many other people i know. Im thinking aboit selling my system as its been going on for so long 

• What devices do you have?

3 sonos1

1 sonos5

1 sub

1 soundbar

• Has anything changed on the network?

No

• Which service(s) are you trying to listen to?

Spotify, saved to device or streaming is the same 

• Is the behaviour always the same?

Yes. Skips every now and then.

• Can you recreate it with ease, or is it random?

Random, but regular. Most of the time it just a skip a song in the middle of it, but sometimes it just stops playing. Happens several times per day

diagnostic: 1533096031

The past couple of months when playing music from Spotify on any of the sonos speakers the music skips to the next song or stops playing at random points. It can be after 2 songs or half a day. The controller reports connection to spotify lost. Sometimes i can immediately click play again and it starts over but sometimes it takes 1-10 min before i can resume. Meanwhile i can play from other sources just fine so it seems like a Spotify specific issue. If i try to play using spotify connect then as i select the speaker, it changes it back to the previous target.

My Sonos does the same skipping songs after I changed my Wifi setup. I went from a single router to a Google Mesh setup.
So I would think it has something to do wifi setup. Maybe the Mesh refreshes every once in a while or changes channels and that gets picked up by Sonos as a “Next song” message. I’m not sure. Because also it sometimes just mutes the sound for 10-15 seconds and then picks up again. 

Badge

Hi @wentzel thank you for reaching back out to us. 

At a quick glance, I would try changing the Sonosnet channel from 1 to 11

I’m also including a master list of Unifi and switch settings that you may want to look at:  

• In the Settings tab, click Wireless Networks.
  • Click Edit next to the network SSID.
  • Expand Advanced Options.
  • Uncheck Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data.
  • In the Settings tab, click Sites.
  • Disable Auto-Optimize Network.
  • Force Protocol Version = IEEE 802.1d (Classic)

CST Port Configuration

• Set both "Port Cost" & "External Port Cost" to 0 (Auto)
  • Set the "External Port Cost" to 2 (10Gb)

Please keep us posted on how things are working. 

Hi,

I’ve tried to follow these directions, but it seems to not be completely adapted to the UDM. There are settings in many different sections, so I’ve only found some of the ones you mention. E.g. I can’t seem to find the force protocol version setting.

Also, I’m not sure what “CST Port Configuration” is. If you meant that I should “Configure the STP”, then that is actually not supported on the UDM. But as long as I’ve only connected one Sonos device by ehternet cable it shouldn’t make a difference, should it?

I’m wondering whether the setting “Enable minimum data rate control for 2G” needs to be disabled, or at least lowered? Are my Sonos products only 802.11b? Will they have an issue if the minimum data rate is set to 6Mbps? But then again, why would any of the settings of the wireless network matter (except maybe the network channel), if the Sonos sets up its own mesh network when it’s connected to the ethernet?

My latest diagnostics code: 1585311725

It is true that this is one of the undoing of spotfy. I use musconv and I can say that it works flawlessly.
Ok I have fixed my issue not the way I wanted.

Tyear reason why my Sonos Play 1 stoped working or started skipping songs and not been able to connect with spotify was because I added a new better internet router.

My local internet provider gives me a lousy crappy router, so I bought a new and better one. The best way to make it work is to set up your primary router as "bridge mode" but for some reason The local internet provider does not let me do that. So what I did was just deactivate wifi on the old router with the new one I have 2 channels the 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz.
So even if I connected myself to 2.4 or 5 the malfunctioning was happening.
I turned back on wifi on the old router and still the issue was on going.

So the only way to still use my play 1 is to connect my play 1 to the wifi provided by the old lousy crappy router, so I have to switch my phone to that network if I want to play music. And all the other devices like TV, laptops cellphones live on the 2.4 or 5 ghz network.

hope this helps you guys
I am having all kinds of skipping issues and since Spotify (and TuneIn) are my primary sources of music I really need help. I feel like the whole reason I have the system is to listen to music yet I cannot. Really frustrating.

• What devices do you have? Soundbar, subwoofer, (2) 1s, (1) 3.
  • Has anything changed on the network? Nothing
  • Which service(s) are you trying to listen to? Spotify and TuneIn
  • Is the behaviour always the same? In the sense that I can count on it skipping while I am listening, yes.
  • Can you recreate it with ease, or is it random? It is random.
Diagnostic Info Submissions:

please help!

-Hunter

Hi there @Shaunybabes and thank you for the update.

Can you submit a follow up diagnostic report so that we can work with updated data?

Please follow these steps to submit a diagnostc:

Settings > Help&Tips > Submit Diagnostic

and post the confirmation number here for us to review.

Hi @Jean C. 

Diagnostic number is 1086456486

Same thing happening to me. Skipping randomly on songs, sometimes it will jump several songs ahead on the queue. It does it multiple times on each listening session.
DIAGNOSTIC CONFIRMATION NUMBER:

• What devices do you have?
    2 Play 1s, 1 Play 3 (1st gen), 2 Play 5 (1st gen), 1 Connect, Bridge. 

No. I talked to service provider and they checked and optimized things on their end. WIFI is on channel 1 & Bridge is on channel 11
    Spotify. 
    yes, but not predicable. It skips partway through a song or will just skip ahead on the queue, sometimes multiple songs ahead. 
    Random
Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello there @wentzel,

When the audio stops on the Connect, does the app still claims that it is playing and that the volume level is up?

Do you notice any flashing white lights on the Connect while this is occurring?

Is the Connect wired into the Dream Machine currently?

Are there any Volume settings on the receiver or amplifier that the Connect is connected to that mediate this in any way?

I have the same issue with Spotify on my Sonos system, I have had contact with Sonos support a few times but have given up. I have a subscription to Deezer now, I have no problems with that service, so it seems Spotify is going to lose a customer.

My Sonos config: 4x play 1, 1 playbar, 1 sub. Playbar is wired to the router, the rest is on wifi.

My diagnostic number is: 1546107338

Nope

Spotify

No it's irratic but every now and again a song will interupt and Sonos will skip to the next song in the list.

It happens so often that it's annoying the hell out of me.

I hope you can resolve this issue with Spotify as I'm 100% convinced it's not a local issue of the user network as you seem to think.

I am having the same issue with my play 1 speaker. Get and error message stating the format is incorrect 

diagnostic number 2089933964

Jeff - I am having similar issues where every now and again during the day a song will start playing and ~15 seconds in will skip to the next one. Insanely annoying because there is no rhyme or reason and I have good wifi coverage AND the Sonos Boost.

Diagnostic conf number: 374923933

Thanks,

Brad

Having a similar issue. Just upgraded my Bridge to a Boost. I’ve tried changing wireless channels with no improvement. Diagnostic #: 1411412156

Hi,

So I have the same problem than everyone here, with my spotify stopping now and then and switching to the next song.

• What devices do you have? Sonos Play:1 and :5 and a Brifge (which I disconnected as a test to no avail)
  • Has anything changed on the network? No.
  • Which service(s) are you trying to listen to? Spotify
  • Is the behaviour always the same? Yes, connection was lost
  • Can you recreate it with ease, or is it random? No, random

Confirmation number 1796105774