Answered

Spotify skips to next song or stops playing, other sources work just fine meanwhile

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

269 replies

I'm having the same issue as described in the original thread. My diagnostics I'd is 598051342

3 Sonos play 1s. Two are on 2.4 GHz WiFi, one is plugged into a homeplug wired port. 

Have either of you tried to submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and contact Sonos Support to discuss it? Anecdotal reporting only goes so far, and submitting hard data to them might elicit a more concrete response.

I suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, and are available Monday through Friday during business hours. Twitter support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

Badge

Same issue here. :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Alain 

Your Bureau speakers are having trouble receiving the data stream fast enough for uninterrupted playback.

I recommend you reboot your router by removing power for a full minute.

Test playback a few minutes after WiFi returns, and if it’s already better, then I recommend you just reboot your router several times a year.

Normally I’d suggest reducing interference, but there’s no indication of that being a problem. Just in case, however, please ensure your router and Bridge are at least 1m apart.

Finally, it looks like your Playbase might be in the same room as the Bridge - if it is, if nothing else helped, and if you can, please try connecting the Playbase to the router with ethernet instead of the Bridge.

I hope this helps.

This just happened twice in a row playing from Spotify on a single device. Diagnostics: 904214118

Diagnostics captured immediately after the second occurence.

For all the talk of “not engaging with the diagnostic process” in the pinned post, I’ve not heard anything since posting two lots of previous diagnostics.

Userlevel 2

Thanks for helping.

Sonos controller is directly connected to the router with an ethernet cable. PlayBase 1 are not in the same room.

Looks like some tracks are hardly read as other ones are always read at first try. You never noticed that before ?

New diag : 2092177498.

Badge

Hello there @wentzel,

When the audio stops on the Connect, does the app still claims that it is playing and that the volume level is up?

Yes

Do you notice any flashing white lights on the Connect while this is occurring?

Nope. Everything looks normal.

Is the Connect wired into the Dream Machine currently?

Yes, it is the only Sonos device that is wired.

Are there any Volume settings on the receiver or amplifier that the Connect is connected to that mediate this in any way?

I have a hard time understanding how the receiver would know if the Connect is grouped with other Sonos devices or not. As far as I know, RCA cables do not have the capacity to convey such information from the Connect to the receiver. The sound works fine when the Connect is playing alone, sometimes work when grouped with one other Sonos device, and never when it’s grouped with two or more other Sonos devices.

Please see my responses in red above.

Hello

Im also experiencing this issue with Spotify.

Diagnostics submitted: 629512704 and 1524953219

(second one immediately after a skip)

Interestingly, I don’t get the issue if I use Spotify as the interface and Airplay/Share to Sonos. It only occurred when I use the Sonos interface to search and initiate Spotify playback.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@plpaquin Hi there, thanks for sending in the report. I don’t see any obvious cause of the cut outs from your report. The stream isn’t getting to the speakers fast enough. The communication between your speaker and router looks okay. I think it would be best to continue troubleshooting this live with our phone team. You can find our number and hours here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Alain 

To be clear, are you saying that it seems to be particular tracks on Spotify that won’t play reliably? No, I have not noticed that before.

How is performance from other sources, like Sonos Radio, for example?

As you mentioned, trying out WiFi rather than using the Sonos Bridge might be the way to go - the Bridge is an old product, and no longer up-to-scratch for some uses/environments. Please go to Settings > System > Network > Wireless Setup to set your system up for WiFi, and just unplug the Bridge from power to make the transition. Simply powering the Bridge back on again (with it connected to ethernet) will take your Sonos system back off WiFi.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@CateCat Hi there, sorry for the delay. If you’re still having issues with skips, try changing your router’s wireless channel over to 6 or 1. It’s currently on 11, which is pretty crowded in your area, and there are some wireless errors showing up. Give that a shot, and also check this guide out if issues remain.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @RonSingapore 

Welcome to the Sonos community.

Sonosnet will only be an option if you have one Sonos player or speaker wired into your router. 

If your system is operating over WiFi network the Sonos players will use the channel that the router is using, currently 6 on your system.

I’m looking at your diagnostic report and I’m seeing a lot of interference and packet loss, how far away from your primary Orbi node is your Beam?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @hdurdle, thanks for reaching out to the Sonos Community!

We’re aware of an increase in “lost connection" errors with Spotify recently, and our engineers are investigating.

As a workaround, you can play directly from the Spotify app using Spotify Connect - rebooting all speakers in the system may help if you’re unable to start playback at all, however if songs are being interrupted then playing from the Spotify app may be your best option until the issue is resolved.

Hope this helps :)

Hi 

Started using Spotify 10 mins ago and it's skipping. Diagnostics number 417523795

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Forgive my wording, @wentzel.

I guess a better question to ask is are you playing line-out to another audio device (and this audio device has it’s own volume control) via the Connect with other grouped players or

are you playing line-in to Sonos from an external source via the Connect and grouped to other players?

Are you able to wire a different device to the network and see if this continues or has it all been shuffled around so that has become difficult? 

Userlevel 2

I can’t say, I am using Deezer, not spotify or Sonos radio.

I will try to remove sonos bridge this week end, but it means I need ethernet cable from router to playbase5 which is not so easy

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Alain 

This thread is relating to playback issues on Spotify, not Deezer. I recommend you start your own topic by visiting Ask A Question, should you need more help.

Note that to put your system onto WiFi, you won’t need any further ethernet connections - no need for a cable from the router to the Playbase. Please follow the instructions in my post above.

Due to the age of this thread, I am now closing it to further activity. Should anyone be having playback issues on Spotify, please start a new topic, or join a more recent one.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
So I've done that and guess what still skipping tracks.

Diagnostic 2095212266

Hi there,

In your reports I see that the communication between your Sonos speakers and network looks okay. The streaming audio is not getting to your speakers fast enough, and there are DNS errors when trying to connect to Spotify. Please reboot your router, and each Sonos speaker to ensure they are all using up to date network information. If that doesn't help, I'd recommend giving us a call. Our phone team has more tools available and can help troubleshoot the connection to Spotify.
Badge

I did have terrible issues late last night, but today has been mostly 100%. Crossing my fingers that it’s up and running now for good, but time will tell. 

Diagnostics # 51926055

Our Sonos will work fine most days and then randomly will skip every other song and then play the next song will start 20 seconds into the song. We music via Spotify through the Sonos app.

Badge

Forgive my wording, @wentzel.

I guess a better question to ask is are you playing line-out to another audio device (and this audio device has it’s own volume control) via the Connect with other grouped players or

are you playing line-in to Sonos from an external source via the Connect and grouped to other players?

Are you able to wire a different device to the network and see if this continues or has it all been shuffled around so that has become difficult? 

Oh 😁

The Connect is connected to a receiver through line out RCA (I never managed to get optical out to work, don't know if it's the Connect or the receiver). When the connect plays alone it works, but as soon as I group it with other Sonos devices the sound disappears. Sometimes it comes back after a few seconds if I just group it with one other device. But then it comes and goes every 5-10 seconds.

I have network outlets ine room, so I can hook up any and all of the devices to the UDM. But as we realized earlier, the UDM doesn't let me configure STP costs, so if I've understood correctly it's not a good idea to hook up more than one.

Hi @John G ,

thanks for the mass response. 

Did as you suggested and power-off rebooted my setup in the suggested order: ​​​​​Router - Sonos products - divice running the Sonos App.

However, 10 to 15 minutes into playing music from the sonos app song skipped again. Got the same error report on the Sonos App like @Jamanda: “Connection to Spotify was lost”.

Ran a new diagnostics report: #1602959704

Userlevel 2

Same story with me as many others here.  Have been streaming via Spotify for over a year, and sometime around a month or two started having the skipping songs issue.  I haven’t changed a thing on my network for over a year as well.

Got curious today and went in to the Spotify app, started a playlist and told it to play on one of my Sonos units and no skipping at all.  Can’t see how this is network related, the issue exists when playing a Spotify playlist from the Sonos app, but does not exist when playing from the Spotify app both times listening on the same piece of Sonos equipment.  

Thanks @Jeff S Hadn't realised something as simple as changing the channel could help. Have done that and will see what happens 

I have the same issue. I recently bought 5x Sonos symfonisk IKEA, and I already have a Sonos Beam. Right now the system is unusable after investing a lot of money.

Please resolve ASAP. Diagnostics submission is 790321369.

thanks

Dan