Answered

Spotify skips to next song or stops playing, other sources work just fine meanwhile

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

269 replies

Having the same issue. I have narrowed it down to specific songs in spotify that I can reproduce the sonos device crash with. Diagnostics 941192306
Userlevel 2

Spotify song skipping issues here too. Very frustrating. Diagnostic - 814133773

Same issue. I also recently purchased Boost. Diag# 1608790465
Badge +2
@Sw00t Did you ever resolve your issue? I also have the same problem, "Connection to spotify was lost", happens on specific songs. It will play some flawlessly, then some it fails, sometimes the error is "Unable to play selected item", or "Selected file was not found", yet this is spotify, so there's no "File" to be played. Weird.

The fact that it's specific songs makes me think Sonos is having a hard time connecting to whichever server on spotify's end that's hosting it. Can someone from Sonos give us an idea of how playback from spotify works?
I am having the same problem... Cannot use Spotify with Sonos. Music keeps skipping and sometimes stops playing at all... please help! Diagnostic number 1758138165
Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @wentzel I do have a generalized STP settings page for managed switches but for anything specific to Ubiquiti I would need to know exactly what you are working with (Unifi vs Amplifi & Switch model numbers) in order to provide the best information for you.

I’m having the same issue. Spotify cuts out but other music services seem to work fine. Here is the diagnostic: 1106881984
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I’m having the same issue. Spotify cuts out but other music services seem to work fine. Here is the diagnostic: 1106881984

Hi there,

In your report I see quite a bit of wireless interference, which is causing some communication issues between your speakers. This could cause the issue you've described. Please try changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using. It may also help to reboot your router and each Sonos unit.

@Carrow1 @paddy11 @marksc Thank you for the follow up information and the feedback. @Carrow1 as you have an open case with our agents I again advise that you follow up with them with any requested information or testing that you are doing with them.

@paddy11 @marksc @sjw Please confirm the testing steps from my previous post. If the issues are still on going after the testing them please call in to speak with our phone agents to take further troubleshooting steps with you.

Thank you for reaching out us here in the Sonos Community. If you are still having the issues with the Spotify music service with your Sonos system then please confirm for us if anything changed after doing the steps provided in the Best Answer for this post thread? I ask as the diagnostic reports that most of you have submitted show you are being hit with wifi interference and network equipment performance issues for Sonos.

If you have not followed the Best Answer steps then please do and follow up with a new diagnostic report number here along with those testing results. If you have followed those steps and are still having the issues with Spotify then we will need your full network topology with the model names and numbers of the products that are wired or wirelessly connected on your network for any modem, router(s), extenders, access points or switches (managed or unmanaged). The reason for this is some of your diagnostic reports indicate that you are using more than one network router from your Internet Service Provider and have added another router like a mesh system to your network adding to network interference, as well as some of you are using Enterprise grade network equipment and may need the settings corrected for them.

Before I would ask you to call in for live agent phone support I would strongly recommend that you at the very least you please power re-boot off your wifi equipment for 30 seconds with no lights on it, meaning no battery backup, then power it back up. While this equipment is powering back on then power re-boot off your Sonos units for the same time with no lights and plug them back in to power, no button pressing is needed. While Sonos products are powering on then re-boot the device(s) running the Sonos app. When you are re-connected then test your Spotify playback for 30+ minutes. You can follow up here with the testing results and a new diagnostic report number for us to compare.

Lastly, if after you have gathered your network topology, adjusted any network settings, completed a full wifi network and Sonos product(s) re-boot and are still having the audio issues then I would recommend you call in to our agents for further troubleshooting as they will have more tools available to them.

Hi,

I’ve been having the same problem on and off for quite a while.

Just recently upgraded to the new boost (to replace the old bridge). worked ok for a week then starts to cut out.   Have reset router and changed chanels from 6 to 11 . reset sonos completely all with no long term change.

I have a Beam, Sub, 6 Play:1, and 2 Connects all spread throughout the house.  There isn’t' one area that is noticeably worse. all seem to cut out either together or one by one. I have tried just one or two speakers to see if that changes.  when I look into the error log i do see a number of “cannot connect to spotify” messages and a few network connection speed insufficient messages. the latter being strange as I have NBN and speed/bandwidth shouldn't be a problem streaming music.

My diagnostics number is :167878938

Any advice/ideas would be most welcome.

That you

Shaun

I have exactly the same problems and have had for several weeks. Only happens when I access Spotify from Sonos and not when I access Sonos from Spotify. Also fine with Amazon. Very annoying. Please sort!

Badge

I've been experiencing the same problem for a few weeks now. That a song on Spotify is skipped. See also a notification in the app that the connection from Spotify would be broken. I don't have that problem with other services or with local music.

Just adding my voice to the crowd. I am eperiencing  this on all my devices, wired and wireless. And I have had a ping running to 8.8.8.8 (google) with 11ms rtt and non dropout when the problem occurre. Starts a song… then skips ahead two tracks. 

When it happens I get a pop up “unable to play ’[song]’ - The connection time Spotify was lost. Note that I am a Spotify premium subscriber. 

here is a diagnostic code: 1621423807

Same Problem!

Badge

So I did a bunch of rebooting, unplugged and replugged all my speakers and reset my Wi-Fi. Spotify for the last few days has seem to be pretty good. I haven't noticed nearly as many dropouts, only a few things here and there. My fingers are crossed that this keeps up, but I know that it's an ongoing issue. So hopefully it will keep working. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Guidoooh 

If it’s the problem I’m thinking of (and it sounds like it is), it was fixed 2 weeks ago. Please make sure your Sonos system software is up-to-date:

From the Settings tab, tap System > System Updates > Check for Updates.

If that doesn’t help, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system.

Same issue with my Sonos and Spotify setup.

Skips from song 4 to 6, and so on.

Diag id: 1628964520

The problem is that some of these can be ‘costumer’ (sic) setup problems, and some can be issues with Spotify’s servers. The same symptom can be the result of multiple issues, so what they’re trying to do, I think, is to fix the issues with the Sonos setup locally in all of the cases where they can, and continue to work with Spotify, feeding them the data that they can on the ones that are Spotify issues. Being that Sonos doesn’t pay any money to Spotify, they probably don’t have the same clout as a subscriber, though. Which is why I frequently suggest that people get in touch with the company who owns the service, Spotify, in this case. 

Hello,

I am getting the same issue.

Sonos works fine with all other streaming services, but Spotify has recently started to skip and stop lots. It used to work fine.

submitted diagnostic 1922636012.

I’d be so grateful for your help.

thanks so much,

Piers

I am having all kinds of skipping issues and since Spotify (and TuneIn) are my primary sources of music I really need help. I feel like the whole reason I have the system is to listen to music yet I cannot. Really frustrating.

• What devices do you have? Soundbar, subwoofer, (2) 1s, (1) 3.
  • Has anything changed on the network? Nothing
  • Which service(s) are you trying to listen to? Spotify and TuneIn
  • Is the behaviour always the same? In the sense that I can count on it skipping while I am listening, yes.
  • Can you recreate it with ease, or is it random? It is random.
Diagnostic Info Submissions:

please help!

-Hunter
It looks like there's a DNS issue of some sort, try rebooting your router and each Sonos player. Send along a new report if that doesn't clear things up.

Thank you Jeff. I feel like the router and device resets seems to have helped a bit, but I am still having skipping issues, new Diagnostic: 582536583
Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi there @Shaunybabes and thank you for the update.

Can you submit a follow up diagnostic report so that we can work with updated data?

Please follow these steps to submit a diagnostc:

Settings > Help&Tips > Submit Diagnostic

and post the confirmation number here for us to review.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @RonSingapore ,

Can you submit a diagnostic report from your system while the Sonos player is wired to the network and after 5 minutes of testing?

I’d like to be able to look at the communication data from that configuration so I can offer you more specific and less general advice. It’s great that Sonos is able now to run on Wifi but a WiFi network environments are almost as unique as fingerprints and sometimes a wired connection  will bring superior connectivity. 

As I’ve mention before, Sonos can create it’s own mesh network and be isolated on it’s own channel but that will only happen if one Sonos product is wired to the network. Being able to compare these configurations against each other will all me to offer a more tailored analysis of your situation.

Hi

I fairly regularly have drop-outs with spotify - sometimes just for a few seconds, sometimes the track skips completely after a longer pause. I’ve just had two in fairly close succession.

I have submitted diagnostic 1466478496

Phil

I have same issue.

Submitted diagnostic 919016984.

This is VERY annoying problem! Hope to see fix soon!

WBR

/Sami

Adding my name to this issue. It’s been going on for a few months now. This always happens when playing an album on Spotify from start to finish. It will start skipping songs around track 5 or 6. I’ve tried changing wifi channels, and also moving my Sonos system from wireless to SonosConnect — both with no positive results. This only happens on Spotify. I’ve tried to recreate the same situation on Amazon Music, and the albums play from beginning to end without any issues. Sorry, do not have a diagnostics report to attach this moment, but can the next time it happens (needless to say, have only been using Amazon Music for now)

• What devices do you have? 
    4 Play:1, 1 Play:3 (First gen); 1 Play:5 (First gen)

• Has anything changed on the network? 
    No. I changed my wifi channel to try and better the situation and did not have an effect. Also switched from wireless connection to SonosConnect with no effect either.

• Which service(s) are you trying to listen to? 
    Spotify

• Is the behaviour always the same? 
    Yes. This specific behavior happens when playing an album from start to finish. The song skipping typically starts around track 5 or 6, will skip 2 songs, then continue playing. Then the same situation will happens again around track 11-12. 

• Can you recreate it with ease, or is it random?
    Recreate it probably 95% of them time. This always happens when playing an album from start to finish, and only happens on Spotify. I’ve tried to recreate the issue while listening to the same album on Amazon Music, but it does not skip and the album plays all the way through.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Hatclub 

Please remove power from your router and Sonos devices for a full minute, then turn the router back on. Once the WiFi is available again, please power on the ethernet-wired Main Office speaker and wait for a solid white light before turning on the other speaker.

If the issue returns, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team directly.

I hope this helps.