Answered

Spotify skips to next song or stops playing, other sources work just fine meanwhile

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

269 replies

i don’t think the issue is with Spotify...i re-installed the Sonos app and it works for me now….i still think the issue is on the Sonos end…. 

Will upgrading from 1st gen play 5 to 2nd gen fix this ?

I’ve recently started to experience this issue (over past couple of weeks) just affecting Spotify where songs skip on a regular basis. Not convinced its a network issues as I can listen to the radio on the same speakers with no issues at all.

Latest diagnostic is 1744218489. Also found some errors in the log:

Wednesday, 10 June 2020 - 1:24 PM Greenwich Mean Time : Dublin, London
Unable to play 'Don't Look Back in Anger' - the song is not encoded correctly.

Wednesday, 10 June 2020 - 1:30 PM Greenwich Mean Time : Dublin, London
Unable to play 'Some Might Say' - the connection to Spotify was lost.

Wednesday, 10 June 2020 - 1:40 PM Greenwich Mean Time : Dublin, London
Unable to play 'Bubbly' - the song is not encoded correctly.

Wednesday, 10 June 2020 - 1:43 PM Greenwich Mean Time : Dublin, London
Unable to play 'Empire State of Mind (Part II) Broken Down' - the connection to Spotify was lost.

I should note that one of the speakers I’m using in hard wired to the router and the internet connection is stable. As a say other music sources are completely stable.

Hi, 

I have been having the same issue since I got a Spotify account in February. I select a song. Plays for around 20 seconds and stops. Restart the song. Stops 20 secs later.. Give us in frustration. 

In reply to your request: 

• What devices do you have? Living Rm: Playbar, Sub, 2x Play:1; Kitchen: Play:1; Bedroom: Play:1; Boost in 2nd Bedroom 
  • Has anything changed on the network? No
  • Which service(s) are you trying to listen to? Spotify 
  • Is the behaviour always the same? Yes, described above 
  • Can you recreate it with ease, or is it random? Yes, definitely. 

I have tried all of the things I see on threads: powering down all devices and turning back on one by one; changing channels on the Sonos system; etc. 

I have always had an issue with TV sound dropping out in the Kitchen when grouped with the Living Room. I gave up on that a long time ago. 

I would add my concern and disappointment that such an expensive bit of kit only works for TV in the Living Room, my personal music library, and radio stations. I expect it to do everything. 

Diagnostic submitted - Your confirmation number is: 1469798923.

I tried playing Spotify through the Spotify app (instead of Sonos app) and it seems to be working now. Much more stable. Only been a few hours but no more stopping 20 seconds into a song.

You can even select which room from the Spotify app now (not sure if this is new or not.. but I just noticed). 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @wentzel thank you for providing the diagnostic confirmation number from your system.

It looks like the connection to the Spotify server is timing out.  Your current router channel is set to 1 which looks a little busy, you may want to change it to 6 or 11. Do you have multiple Ubiquiti access points or just one?

If you un-group your players and play Spotify to only one player, is there any change in the playback?

Was your system previously using Sonosnet with a Sonos player wired to the network?

I can see that your Connect has not been added back to this system yet, is this by choice or is it also giving you difficulty?  

I keep having this issue aswell. Have restarted modem/router and sonos speakers, logged out of all spotify accounts and back in but this doesnt stop it. Diagnostics 1749806298

The same Sonos player software is being used for both your streams. In fact, the only difference in the two is what server they’re getting the source data from. Amazon’s servers versus Spotify’s servers. Not sure why you think additional pressure on Sonos will change Spotify’s willingness to address the issues on the Spotify servers.

And yes, I’m pretty sure Spotify uses different servers to feed different streaming sources, so the server that feeds other sources is likely not the same that Spotify has told Sonos to get the stream from. 

I am having the same problem. I just bought my Sonos Beam, I am wired to the router and our internet connection is pretty fast 150Mbs. Spotify keeps skipping or dropping. Here is my diagnostics number: 554724061

My Sonos system (I have 3 Play1s and a Beam) is having ongoing issues when streaming from my Spotify account.  A song will get hung in the Queue (can see bars dancing for 5secs with no sound) and then a box will pop up saying “Unable to Play” XYZ Song “the Connection to Spotify has been lost.”  The issue is almost constant now.

Re my unsuccessful diagnosis: Have 300mbps symmetrical and other steaming (incl video) video services are 100% fine (so would not think it is a broadband issue).  In Sonos, other music services (eg, Amazon Music) work without issue.  So would appear to be an issue with Spotify and Sonos integrating?  On the Sonos App, I tired Removing and Re-adding my Spotify account, but that doesn’t improve things.  Is there a solution to this … been working poorly to not at all for days.

@Mediaguy5876 Thank you for bringing your concerns to use here and welcome to the Sonos Community. I do not see any threads or posts made by you other than this one. Have you read and competed the steps in this threads marked Best Answer? Have you read and followed up on my previous post? Please confirm that information and testing. As previously mentioned, if the issues are happening after the testing steps then please call in for live agent support. Your submitted diagnostic report number shows your Sonos products have not been re-booted in 30+ days.

Thank you for reaching out us here in the Sonos Community. If you are still having the issues with the Spotify music service with your Sonos system then please confirm for us if anything changed after doing the steps provided in the Best Answer for this post thread? I ask as the diagnostic reports that most of you have submitted show you are being hit with wifi interference and network equipment performance issues for Sonos.

If you have not followed the Best Answer steps then please do and follow up with a new diagnostic report number here along with those testing results. If you have followed those steps and are still having the issues with Spotify then we will need your full network topology with the model names and numbers of the products that are wired or wirelessly connected on your network for any modem, router(s), extenders, access points or switches (managed or unmanaged). The reason for this is some of your diagnostic reports indicate that you are using more than one network router from your Internet Service Provider and have added another router like a mesh system to your network adding to network interference, as well as some of you are using Enterprise grade network equipment and may need the settings corrected for them.

Before I would ask you to call in for live agent phone support I would strongly recommend that you at the very least you please power re-boot off your wifi equipment for 30 seconds with no lights on it, meaning no battery backup, then power it back up. While this equipment is powering back on then power re-boot off your Sonos units for the same time with no lights and plug them back in to power, no button pressing is needed. While Sonos products are powering on then re-boot the device(s) running the Sonos app. When you are re-connected then test your Spotify playback for 30+ minutes. You can follow up here with the testing results and a new diagnostic report number for us to compare.

Lastly, if after you have gathered your network topology, adjusted any network settings, completed a full wifi network and Sonos product(s) re-boot and are still having the audio issues then I would recommend you call in to our agents for further troubleshooting as they will have more tools available to them.

I found the following on reserving IP addresses on the Virgin Hub 3.0 (edited to put in Sonos device):

The easiest way is to use DHCP reservation on the router.

Navigate to 192.168.0.1 in your web browser and log in.
  • If you are using a Hub 3 go to Advanced->DHCP.
  • Scroll down
  • Select a Sonos device from your list of connected devices.
  • Scroll down and you'll see the Add reserved rule Box is now populated with the Sonos device's MAC and IP address.
  • Click Add rule
You may be kicked out of the Hub interface at this point - but if you go back in and check you'll see the printer has now been added to the list of reserved devices.

Do this for each of your Sonos devices. Note if your router is not listing Sonos devices specifically, you can find the MAC address of each device by going to Settings > About My Sono System. All but the last 2 digits of the serial number is the MAC address. Use this MAC address to find out which devices on the router are Sonos.

See also this video:

Thank you so much for your help. Will love this a go!
@jrich05 Thanks for reaching out. I closed your other thread so we can focus on troubleshooting here. The streaming data isn't getting to your speakers fast enough. In your report I see that your home network is running on channel 1, which is pretty crowded. Try switching your router over to channel 11 and see if that helps. It's a good idea to make sure all of your access points are on the same channel, too.

The only devices nearby that are broadcasting on channel 1 are my Orbi base router and satellite. I'm wondering if the base router, located about 40 feet away and upstairs from the Sonos Ones, is actually interfering with the signal from the satellite, only about 6 feet away from the Sonos Ones.

Spotify has apparently rectified the issue, I just saw Ryan post in one of the other many threads that it had been fixed. 

i am getting this issue again…. it’s less frequent than a few days ago but still sometimes it will skip mid song and say something about buffering and speed issues …. wondering if anyone else is getting it…. it’s so annoying!! Great when it all works but this is happening too often!!! 

Badge
I have issues with streaming from Spotify. Used to work fine, but frequent dropouts (almost every song) for the past few weeks.
I tried all three channels. No improvement.
Diagnostics: 801045828

I hope a solution is out there!
Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Shaunybabes, I’ve just taken a look at your diagnostic report and I have a few thoughts. 

First, you’ll want to make sure that your router channel and Sonosnet channel aren’t the same or overlapping. If you keep Sonosnet on 11 and move your router channel down wot 6 or 1, this will keep your local network traffic from interfering with  your Sonos communications. 

Second, you have all of your players grouped together with the Bedroom/ Play: 1 as the “Group Coordinator”. If you break up this group, and play individually, does the issue continue? 

If you reform this grouping with either “Dogs” or one of the Connects as the first player/group coordinator, are there any changes? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Thanks for the clarification @wentzel

It’s more a question of if the Dream Machine supports STP at all and it doesn’t seem to, you can test this by plugging two of them in and seeing if the network breaks. 

Were you able to see if there were multicast settings or LAN/WLAN multicast filtering settings int the UDM? 

I certainly will be taking some of my down time to investigate this further for my own edification as well as for trying to crack this particular nut. 

If you have network wall ports in every room, they would also be fed by a switch, do you know where and what this switch is?

If the switch feeding the wall ports is managed, it can be configured to support STP, if not we’re back to square one.

As for the grouped playback behavior, that’s going to be tied to how well the players are communicating to each other, the one wired shouldn’t be the one dripping out though. Very strange. 

Does it ever matter which audio source you are using, Spotify vs radio for instance?

Hi there @RonSingapore,

Did you wire the Playbar to the satellite or did you wire something else to the primary node? 

Can you submit an updated diagnostic report from your system so I can offer more accurate advice?  

@Jean C. 

There is nothing wired to my Netgear Orbi primary node, nor is there anything wired to the satellite. Sonos is wireless. My new diagnostics is 1072921446.

Thank you

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks. Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the new community users here. Just to let you know that we’ve had an issue with the Spotify service and it should perfectly now. You can always check it in status.sonos.com. Try to remove and re-add the service and another controller if the same issue persists. Hope this helps. We and the community are always here to help.

Badge
  • What devices do you have?
    • Connect
    • Connect:Amp x 2
    • Play:5
    • Symfonisk
  • Has anything changed on the network?
    • Yes, I have moved to a new house, and connected most of my old system again. I have tried to switch network channels as per instruction. According to the network matrix at <ip>:1400/support/review all speakers are green or yellow.
  • Which service(s) are you trying to listen to?
    • Spotify
  • Is the behaviour always the same?
    • Yes.
  • Can you recreate it with ease, or is it random?
    • Random.

Submitted diagnostic: 1563571942

Having the same issue. Random skipping of 1 or more tracks often mid-track. Tried different channels. Hasn’t made much of a difference. 
diagnostics ID 253805899

Badge

Can anyone confirm if things have been better since the update? Mine has been 100% for the past few days surprisingly, I didn’t want to jump the gun and jinx myself, but I heard back from support today (again) with this:

We just wanted to confirm if these issues are still occurring now. There have been a few things on our end which may have contributed to these errors that have since been resolved.

I wonder if they found an issue with Spotify and were able to rectify it? 

Badge

Just throwing my name in the hat as well. Sonos user for years and no issues (still) with services other than Spotify. Spotify cuts out and skips tracks intermittently and it’s frustrating. Other services continue to play fine, so I too think this lies deeper with Spotify. Please do something! 

Badge

Hi there ​@wentzel,

Either Ubiquiti support or a networking professional will have a better idea of what configurations are possible on that model of Ubiquiti router and I was able to locate a page regarding STP settings here

That being said, I have consulted with a few colleagues here and we have a very specific test scenario that we would like you to try.

1. Remove the Ethernet cable and return to a WiFi based configuration
  2. Test playback from Spotify on the “Kontor” Connect: Amp.
  3. Add other players to Kontor keeping this player as the group coordinator.
  4. Submit a diagnostic report with the results, hopefully the second report will not be corrupted.

If this playback test fails it may be necessary to acquire a switch that supports the STP settings we need for the network to be compatible with Sonos. 

Hello again,

New issues. Before I did this test I found my last Sonos product in a box, and I have now connected it also, and moved the others around a little bit. Now there’s a new problem though, that needs to be resolved before we keep looking into the sporadic stopping of Spotify music. Because now, the Connect won’t even play anything except when I play it only on that one. Actually, this morning it worked somewhat when I played it together with one of the Connect:Amp but when I connect a third device, the Connect will simply stop playing music. How do I solve that issue?

Code: 1012826267

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi there @JDW98 I’ve taken a look at your system diagnostic as well and I do apologize for the delay in our response. 

With a system this large, usually Sonosnet is the preferred option and I’m surprised that you were experiencing worse performance with a player wired. 

Are you still having difficulty with Spotify or have you found a solution since you posted here? 

Please let me know so that I can continue to work with you to resolve this.