Please go back to the last app, the update sucks SO bad!

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

397 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

That others can and do use their sonos almost exactly opposite to you, is something you might want to keep in mind next time you reflect on the quality of the new interface.

Oh the freaking irony!!!! :8

I guess we happily overlook that in the post I was reacting to, you used your own usage as the key argument.

As the defacto archivist of this board feel to find a case where I actually do that, instead of the focusing on the before and after. ;)

#1 - they won't roll back - steadfast rule. And makes no sense in that they can't role back new code and features they have invested in new version.
No doubt about that they clearly went for a big bang, without a way back. But such a rollback would solve 100% of the complaints :)

#2 - The My Sonos should be a repository for quick access to playlists etc. in all services. And Sonos playlists are great in that they can incorporate music from multiple different services. However, quick access to existing - like like my my playlists in Apple Music from My Sonos saves steps in going into the Apple Music app.

Depending on your personal usage patterns that may very well be true, which is way at the end of the day we can only argue before and after for individual elements and features. And when we do that we'll quickly come to the conclusion that for most changes, things are now less efficient.

Your idea of My Sonos is excellent in this regard. It would definitely safe people time and trouble, while removing the need to remember what you already favored in My Sonos. And in terms of clicks, it would've been just as easy in the previous as in the current interface. Conclusion: a great idea.

When we do the same exercise for reducing room selection & configuration to configuration only on the now playing screen, the conclusion will also be very clear: a bad idea. And there are quite some cases to be found like that.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Counting clicks is useless without context. I could easily reduce the number of clicks to search for recordings of Borneo drum circles by making a button that defaults to a search for Borneo drum circles. Tada! I reduced clicks and thus came up with a better UI. Except I didn't, I just made it easier to enter a rare search that may not be rare for Borneans who have a penchant for drum circles, but is relatively useless for the rest of us.

Congratulations on your strong case against the notion of favorites. Really impressive. :)

Next time focus a little less on trying to shoot the messenger. You'll sound less ridiculous and notice that the large majority of the posts on this board are about ease of use and efficiency of common tasks (because that's what matters in a remote control).
Userlevel 1
My issues are not just with the UI. Since the 8.x updates I have been having stability issues on a system that has been rock solid for 3 years in it's current location.
I have had much of my system since 2013, yes this has happened before with the UI, my issues with the development stand, it is the simple things they screw up every time they do a redesign and it feels rushed. QA is important and to me it really feels like it got cut short or skipped.

But that's just like, my opinion, man.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, we appreciate the feedback all around. Please refrain from insulting or attacking other users, even if you disagree with their sentiments. Everyone should feel welcome to share here.

The team is listening and building on the foundation of the new app. You'll see some changes coming soon. They're looking into the brightness of the app and the team is working on ways to balance the colors. They're also looking into ways to improve the general flow of the app, and streamline navigation.

Thanks for sharing your feedback and please let us know what you think as the app develops.
Who thinks that the postings don't have Sonos' ear? I was under impression they said they were sending all feedback to the development team.

It's a convenient way for them not to face the fact that the real reason the clamoring has calmed down could be people are getting used to the changes and now find them not as bad as they did at first. Thing is, only one side predicted this result, the others predicted furor lasting for months upon months, followed by Sonos' imminent demise as thousands flocked to other systems.

As if those who screamed from the rooftops that they hate the new app would leave in silence without announcing why.

Anybody seen those posts of people actually leaving for a competitor?

Anybody?

Sigh
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
The team is listening and building on the foundation of the new app. You'll see some changes coming soon. They're looking into the brightness of the app and the team is working on ways to balance the colors. They're also looking into ways to improve the general flow of the app, and streamline navigation.

Thank you for responding. I realize things are probably very hectic with the new hardware, new software and the holiday buying season. However, more official updates should alleviate some of the upset on the forum.
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
*sigh*
Dissent is most certainly allowed. I've never said others should not be allowed their opinion. The only people calling for censure around here are the ones telling me to stop posting.

I get it. You don't like what I have to say or the manner in which I say it. Unless I am violating the forum TOS, that's your problem. Deal with it.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
And this is typical of the way you 'communicate' on this forum as andrewmk pointed out a couple of posts ago.. You care so little about what others have to say that you need inflate and exaggerate what they have been posting, just so you can ridicule their point, and that time and time again. Because dissent is clearly not allowed around here.

Amen!
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Dissent is most certainly allowed. I've never said others should not be allowed their opinion. The only people calling for censure around here are the ones telling me to stop posting.

No,no one is telling you to stop posting. This is about you bullying people for voicing critique, and you know it.

I get it. You don't like what I have to say or the manner in which I say it. Unless I am violating the forum TOS, that's your problem. Deal with it.
QED
Like I said, that's your problem.

Plus, it's absolute BS. You people pressured John B to stop posting his opinions that mostly have to do with helping people, and he's the nicest guy in here.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Merry Christmas all!!! Christmas tunes are streaming and sounding great on my Play 1 and 2nd Gen Play 5 grouped on the main level. You guys need to lighten up. At the heart of hearts we are just passionate about our music and Sonos.

Merry christmas too....hope that lightening up extends to not mocking anyone who doesn’t like the current version...
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi everyone, we appreciate the feedback all around. Please refrain from insulting or attacking other users, even if you disagree with their sentiments. Everyone should feel welcome to share here.

Thanks for sharing your feedback and please let us know what you think as the app develops.

I'm in the camp that sees the current app as being utter garbage and am rather dismayed at the current turn of events. Reading the comments it seems that Sonos is keen to pursue the streaming market and compete with the leading players there and the app changes reflect this desire.
Many of us (i.e. Sonos users who bought in several years ago) have absolutely no desire for the app to chase these trends and just want the app to stay as it was, with minor updates to allow for any hardware/functional improvements.
The more I read the more it seems that these two desires are mutually incompatible. If Sonos are unwilling to have two apps for the product (a legacy app and a new generation app) then they ought to provide a sufficiently open and public API to allow third party vendors to develop independent paid-for apps that give the functionality they will not provide.
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Merry Christmas all!!! Christmas tunes are streaming and sounding great on my Play 1 and 2nd Gen Play 5 grouped on the main level. You guys need to lighten up. At the heart of hearts we are just passionate about our music and Sonos.

Merry christmas too....hope that lightening up extends to not mocking anyone who doesn’t like the current version...

For the record I have no problem with ppl not liking the current app. I have also agreed that it is not perfect and not better in substance than the previous. My only contention was the melodrama some ppl came on here with declaring that it was now unusable and couldn’t be figured out. That I still maintain is crap. I personally would have no problem is Sonos never implemented this tabbed approach to the app. But at the same time it has not prevented me from enjoying my system.

I cannot promise not to mock someone who comes on here saying that the world is coming to an end and the app is totally unusable - Christmas and all ???
Userlevel 4
I like the new app. It's easier to navigate.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
The Christmas spirit has a very short shelf life around here.

Thereisnospoon, can I take the opportunity of welcoming you to these forums and apologise for any unfriendly reception you may have had.

You will find that posting comments that are in any way negative of Sonos the company, the hardware or the software tends to get the backs up of several forum members around these parts. Don’t let them put you off — your voice is as valid as any others.

Andrew
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I can confirm that the above procedure works fine.

V7.4 installed: sanity restored. 😃
Userlevel 1
can we revert back on ios for iPad?
If you are downloading the old APK, you should note that when your controller app is not the same version as your hardware, you will lose much of the Settings menu. This includes adding/editing Sonos devices, music service management, and adding or updating your music library, Even if all your versions are equal and you never update again, external changes will eventually cause music service support to drop off, such as what happened to folks frozen at version 4.x when the BBC changed codecs, Spotify changed APIs, or Sonos changed authentication security on AWS. Also, if you are frozen at a previous version, even if the version numbers match across the software and hardware, there is no way you can add any new Sonos units to your system without upgrading.

So one may want to assess if losing these functions (and eventually rendering the controller useless) is worth reverting back to an older version of the app. It may just be the case that ripping the band-aid off now is better than later, but that is up to the individual.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I also agree! Selecting which device you want to control sucks now!

Just go to 'rooms' where you'll see all your devices. Stick with it...
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
There is nothing wrong with the logic of version 8. In fact it is not much changed from 7.4.

Said no one ever

I agree with John B. 8.0 is clearly a work in progress but it can and will be much better than 7.4. I've been using like everybody else and will be more than happy when they iron out the obvious issues

You know what WASNT a work in progress? 7.4. Didn’t need to be a work in progress.
Userlevel 1
The new update is a big step backwards. Frequently used actions like changing rooms is now much more cumbersome and at times just plain doesn't work. I have a wall mounted tablet as the main control. From what was a subtle dark UI, I now have a garish and obtrusive screen. I'm the techie in the family and I struggle with it. Other members of the family have gone from frequent Sonos users to just playing music from their phone speaker. Not good.
Help can't get past this screen after roll

back
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Really? So you come here just to have a moan and "happen" to mention Bluesound! That's just a cheap advert :8

So much doom and gloom that it resembles an Eastenders Christmas episode. As has been stated by a Sonos employee in this very thread, they have listened to feedback and changes are coming soon. As for how anyone can say the link with Alexa is proof that customers no longer count is quite some conclusion. All i read on this forum up till November was complaints about the wait for voice control, so it has hardly been unwanted.

I find the new update less than intuitive but assume this has been noted and changes are afoot. It is still usable and I like the voice commands and the options to control via Spotify apps.

However the last sentence did make me smile, given all that you wrote above it 😃
Family and me have suffered on the new UI on ios and Android long enough. It is frankly just dreadful. The fact anyone has to even ask how to use it is a fail. Basic design flaws. Room changing is a frequent use case, regrouping room once set for house is an infrequent use case (unless you party everyday?). Everyone is regrouping in error. You read from the top, so the navigation (select first) should be at the top if needed to change at all from last version. Seems the change is for change sake and there is no benefit that I can see. Previous UI changes were not a problem, this once is a disaster. Come on Sonos, put your hands up...roll it back and stop dreaming that it will grow on people, you got this one wrong and everyone makes mistakes. I think someone literally read requirement for UI that is So Nos!