Please go back to the last app, the update sucks SO bad!

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

397 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6
The postings of unhappiness have died down — of course they have. There are only a finite number of users and it’s not like we seem to have Sonos’s ear. And there a few posters who like to shout down any dessent, so it’s not like it is a rewarding pastime.

Ultimately it doesn’t matter if v8 is better or worse than 7 or if 6 was better than 5 or if 4 was better than all of them. Personally my memory doesn’t recall what came before the last one.

The question should be if is v8 good enough? I don’t think it is. I think it is a terrible design. Sonos have kindly posted a guide to changing rooms, referring to their being a steep learning curve. Excuse me ?? So the problems are not of Sono’s making, then — but more of our ineptitude!! No, it is not a steep lurning curve — it is clearly poor design. The fact that they have had to post a guide (when none was ever needed before) should be a source of embarrassment for the company and a clear sign they have got it wrong.

I don’t care which of the last 8 versions were best. I stand by what I posted above —- in my opinion, v8 is a crock of ****.

Andrew
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
The well being of their opinions or feelings is simply not my concern, so I couldn't care less what is "real" or not for them, though it is interesting that my posts seem to strike a giant nerve with some. I will admit to finding it ironic that one so concerned with the validation of others opinions, no matter how out there (abusive relationships anyone?), seems to relish in beating up mine on an almost minute by minute basis. I guess it is easy to pick on the fanboy. ;)

Or maybe it's simply a case of people being fed-up with critique being systematically ridiculed and trivialized.

Your reply in this thread is a perfect example. You turned
"Sonos is an interesting position in that regard. They can listen to their customers and get back to the excellent user experience of the early days, or lose the loyalty and word of mouth that got them were they are today. Up to them to decide."
into
"See, the thing with "or the bunny gets it" threats is the bunny never actually gets it!. It just hangs around until the next time the easily indignant get their feathers in a ruffle over the next bunch of UI changes. "

At no point didn't even dawn on you that this was not me threatening to sell my system or anything like that, but that I was referring to people postponing expansions, not showing their friends how easy it is to use the system, or actively advocating for purchasing the system. All of which will hurt sales a lot more than a customer leaving for a competitor. But no, this was me threatening to kill the bunny :8

And this is typical of the way you 'communicate' on this forum as andrewmk pointed out a couple of posts ago.. You care so little about what others have to say that you need inflate and exaggerate what they have been posting, just so you can ridicule their point, and that time and time again. Because dissent is clearly not allowed around here.
"You people".... Nice words JGatie! Anyone else had a bullying PM from JGatie. I have. He wants to be top dog on here and will not let anyone else rule the roost and always has to have the last word. Typical bully.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
There is nothing wrong with the logic of version 8. In fact it is not much changed from 7.4.

Said no one ever
Userlevel 3
Badge
First PLEX, and now SONOS. Two REALLY great programs RUINED by unneeded interface changes. Whoever's idea it was to change from black to white NEEDS TO BE FIRED IMMEDIATELY!!! Apparently SONOS doesn't realize people use tablets and phones in darkish rooms and not only is white backgrounds hard on the eyes, but it looks TERRIBLE and stands out like a sore thumb.

I haven't even gotten into the UI dysfunction yet, I am so depressed that it looks so horrible in white. I leave SONOS running on my tablets 7/24 as controllers and now with all white, I am getting SCREEN IMAGE BURN-IN!!!! Thank you SONOS for damaging my tablets that, for years have been perfect with no burn-in using BLACK BACKGROUNDS.

I've tried rolling back to 7.4, but like another user a few posts up, cannot get past the "Check for Updates" screen. To those that have rolled back, how do you get past that screen? (Android tablet). Help please on getting past the Check for Updates.

My iPhone has updated and I don't think there is a way to roll back an iPhone so that device is screwed.
First PLEX, and now SONOS. Two REALLY great programs RUINED by unneeded interface changes. Whoever's idea it was to change from black to white NEEDS TO BE FIRED IMMEDIATELY!!! Apparently SONOS doesn't realize people use tablets and phones in darkish rooms and not only is white backgrounds hard on the eyes, but it looks TERRIBLE and stands out like a sore thumb.

I haven't even gotten into the UI dysfunction yet, I am so depressed that it looks so horrible in white. I leave SONOS running on my tablets 7/24 as controllers and now with all white, I am getting SCREEN IMAGE BURN-IN!!!! Thank you SONOS for damaging my tablets that, for years have been perfect with no burn-in using BLACK BACKGROUNDS.

I've tried rolling back to 7.4, but like another user a few posts up, cannot get past the "Check for Updates" screen. To those that have rolled back, how do you get past that screen? (Android tablet). Help please on getting past the Check for Updates.

My iPhone has updated and I don't think there is a way to roll back an iPhone so that device is screwed.

I totally agree. The new version is ugly. WHY did they have to change the design? The PC app (and the original controller) still have the old classy design. Please give that back to us. It workded perfectly. No reason to change it.
Also it's not a bit intuitive. How could they ever approved this "update"?
Userlevel 2
The room selection is just not working. When changing room it is not possible to deselect the old room before selecting the new. You first have to select the new+old and save. Then deselect the old and save. Are they complete morons at Sonos?
Userlevel 1
One more vote for bringing the old app back.

I've been in software for 30 years and I understand that, sometimes, change is hard for users and they can get used to a new look and feel. That being said, I've been using this new app now for several weeks and it has not gotten any easier to use for me.

I'd be curious if Sonos has found that new users (those who have never seen a sonos app before) find this easier to use. If that's true, then I *guess* I understand the change.

However, I bet that the real issues is that no one did adequate user testing on this app. Current app on android is really poor and needs major work.
Your network issue. Your loss.

Ive been reading your replies. You are rude and you are a bully.
First time I've needed to visit this forum having owned Sonos for a few years now. Just wanted to vent off. Hate this new app. Loved my Sonos before but this has just ruined it, not intuitive at all. I want the product I bought back. This app is broken. Now when I go to select a song from my NAS it plays the one above, without fail. If I want to select a track, I have to select the one below. Awesome.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
What is your point ? I hate the app, and I preferred much of what came before. That is all I said — that is my opinion, it wasn’t exaggerated. Unless you know my opinion better than I do.

Andrew
It’s a terrible update. Messed up the whole house! Awful!!!
Userlevel 2
Badge
This is awful. I just upgraded today as we wanted to play holiday music throughout house. A system that worked great for years took forever to update. The new app I terrible! And we have zones disappearing, music just stops. Really terrible!!!! Who planned this and ruined Sonos???
Worst software in history. An embarrassing mess. We can no longer get the system to work simply. My wife hates it too
Ditto. Please Please Please go back to the old app. Multiple issues from ability to select Pandora account (which may be a Pandora issue) to a completely counter intuitive process in total. Too much money spent to live with a horrible app. Had the system for almost 4 years with no issue. Created an account now just to provide feedback. Too many to list ... but appears as if many others have pointed most of them out already.
Userlevel 1
Yes, i have to agree. not enjoying the new version at all. i thought maybe once i used it for a while......but no, really difficult to navigate and dont like the look either.
Userlevel 1
New pool of beta testers is needed. How did this pass???
Userlevel 3
Badge
Another former fan who agrees with others here regarding app v8. Sonos please have some courage and give us the old app back at least temporarily, if you must continue with v8. Please listen to your community and act on the feedback, thank you.
Userlevel 3
Badge
From Wikipedia: New Coke was discontinued in July 2002. It remains influential as a cautionary tale against tampering too extensively with a well-established and successful brand.

New Coke was the unofficial name for the reformulation of Coca-Cola introduced in April 1985 by the Coca-Cola Company to replace the original formula of its flagship soft drink, Coca-Cola (also called Coke). New Coke originally had no separate name of its own but was simply known as "the new taste of Coca-Cola" until 1992, when it was renamed Coke II.

Coca-Cola's market share had been losing ground to diet soft drinks and non-cola beverages for many years. Consumers who were purchasing regular colas seemed to prefer the sweeter taste of rival Pepsi-Cola, as Coca-Cola learned in conducting blind taste tests. However, the American public's reaction to the change was negative, even hostile, and the new cola was a major failure. The subsequent, rapid reintroduction of Coke's original formula, rebranded "Coca-Cola Classic" and put back into market within three months of New Coke's debut, resulted in a significant gain in sales. This led to speculation that the introduction of the New Coke formula was just a marketing ploy; however, the company has maintained it was a genuine attempt to replace the original product.[1]
Is there any way to revert back to the last app before the recent update? This latest update is just plain stupid.

This is the worst UI I've ever worked with. Each time I use it its as confusing as the last. People in my office are starting to use other apps to control the music. Please, for the love of God, roll back the changes. This sucks.
Rather than just dog pile this subject that the new Sonos app 'sucks', I would rather say that both the original (and certainly) the new version of the app are - lacking. Apps should be incredibly intuitive. Like the Sonos system itself, it's so simple to install and get running, the oddity being that the app is inferior to the system itself. What happened to managing my equalizer? What is grouping speakers so difficult to do now? Why is it that after using the new app 20+ times I am still 'hunting' and 'pecking' my way through this thing to uncover things that an intuitive app would have taught me my 3rd time through. This seems such an easy fix. Not sure why SONOS has made it so user UN-friendly...
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
An easy bet to win. Most of us have no intention of squatting this forum the way the fanboys do. Eventually we'll cut our losses and move on. And there are plenty of alternatives to move onto by now (Samsung, Bose, Bluesound, etc).

Sonos is an interesting position in that regard. They can listen to their customers and get back to the excellent user experience of the early days, or lose the loyalty and word of mouth that got them were they are today. Up to them to decide.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
It's a convenient way for them not to face the fact that the real reason the clamoring has calmed down could be people are getting used to the changes and now find them not as bad as they did at first. Thing is, only one side predicted this result, the others predicted furor lasting for months upon months, followed by Sonos' imminent demise as thousands flocked to other systems.

Or it could be that many have expressed their displeasure and moved on, or just given up. And, they are probably tired of being insulted by other forum members.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6

It's a convenient way for them not to face the fact that the real reason the clamoring has calmed down could be people are getting used to the changes and now find them not as bad as they did at first. Thing is, only one side predicted this result, the others predicted furor lasting for months upon months, followed by Sonos' imminent demise as thousands flocked to other systems.

As if those who screamed from the rooftops that they hate the new app would leave in silence without announcing why.

Anybody seen those posts of people actually leaving for a competitor?

Anybody?

Why must you use such overblown inflated language ??

..... furor lasting for months and months
...... thousands flocked to other systems
....... screamed from the rooftops

If you have a point it is diminished by exaggeration.

Why does it matter to you that others don’t like the app? You have provided many posts explaining your reasoning why they may not like it, and in some cases you may be right. But so what? Explaining away the reasons why people don’t like, doesn’t change the fact that the don’t like it. They, like you have paid their money, and they have a right not to like it. They don’t even have to provide reasons, If they choose. Give them that space and stop trying to change their mind. Pushing the ‘muscle memory’ stick for the nth time doesn’t suddenly make you right and them wrong.

Andrew
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I uninstalled the 8.0 app and found an apk mirror for Sonos 7.4, I reverted back to 7.4 for android to get the original, useful UI back that also has the wonderful dark backgrounds and a host of other things. No issues so far... :)

How did you do that exactly?