Please go back to the last app, the update sucks SO bad!

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

397 replies

I guess we happily overlook that in the post I was reacting to, you used your own usage as the key argument.

As the defacto archivist of this board feel to find a case where I actually do that, instead of the focusing on the before and after. ;)

I expressed confusion over why others find something difficult or troubling where I do not. A far cry from someone who declares the definitive superiority of a "before" or "after" when others most certainly disagree. So now we aren't allowed to use our own usage in our own subjective analysis of a problem, yet one such as yourself who intimates they have the pulse of the majority of users when they analyze the pluses and minuses of "the before and after" can? You are really a riot.

Got news for you pal, it is all subjective personal opinion. Some of us don't disguise it as objective analysis when we know it is not.

Counting clicks is useless without context. I could easily reduce the number of clicks to search for recordings of Borneo drum circles by making a button that defaults to a search for Borneo drum circles. Tada! I reduced clicks and thus came up with a better UI. Except I didn't, I just made it easier to enter a rare search that may not be rare for Borneans who have a penchant for drum circles, but is relatively useless for the rest of us.

Similarly, without usage charts and marketing studies, you also cannot declare a simple reduction of clicks as a definitively better UI, for those added clicks may have allowed other, more oft used functions to flow more effectively or efficiently. You (just like I) have only one anecdotal user experience, and yours is no more definitive than mine. Counting clicks does nothing to change the fact that you are relying on that usage case and only that usage case (especially when that usage case tends to concentrate on those actions that increase/decrease the number of clicks in order to prove a predetermined outcome due to an initial reaction to an unfamiliar UI).

Congratulations on your strong case against the notion of favorites. Really impressive. :)

Next time focus a little less on trying to shoot the messenger. You'll sound less ridiculous and notice that the large majority of the posts on this board are about ease of use and efficiency of common tasks (because that's what matters in a remote control).

Ahhhh sarcasm, insults, and dismissal. Who exactly is shooting the messenger here?

No problem, though. I understand how only two or so months after the release people having to bump the threads in order to get any attention can be hard on you. It can really shoot some holes in the "It's not muscle memory!" theory when people stop posting once their muscle memory readjusts. The 5.0 thread lasted 5 months, this campaign is sputtering after 2. Bunch of pikers. 😃
I predict that very soon this and the other 8.0 threads are going to get real quiet, aside from people praising the changes to come. Just like what happened when a few tweaks (that, ironically, were suggested by the more rational posters) fixed the most glaring problems with 5.0, and a little retraining of muscle memory did the rest.

We will see who is right.
Yeah, lets ask the posters in the 5.0 thread about their many and varied threats to leave Sonos for superior competitors. It will be easy to do, most of them are in here clamoring to get it back!

See, the thing with "or the bunny gets it" threats is the bunny never actually gets it!. It just hangs around until the next time the easily indignant get their feathers in a ruffle over the next bunch of UI changes.

And PS - I still hate the queue changes! 😃
My issues are not just with the UI. Since the 8.x updates I have been having stability issues on a system that has been rock solid for 3 years in it's current location.
I have had much of my system since 2013, yes this has happened before with the UI, my issues with the development stand, it is the simple things they screw up every time they do a redesign and it feels rushed. QA is important and to me it really feels like it got cut short or skipped.

But that's just like, my opinion, man.

Every update has these types of issues with a couple dozen posters. In the vast majority of the cases they are due to underlying network problems, specifically IP conflicts, which are uncovered by the update. If you wish to cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There are some regular contributors here that at the time of 5.0 were rather vile in their criticism of Sonos (not unlike many who have been voicing their opinion on this revision). The application adjusted and so did they.

Why is anyone who is reasonably patient a "fanboy". I've expressed what I don't like about the current version and that's that. I don't have to dwell on it awaiting the next revision. And I'm not arrogant enough to believe what I want is best (they have never given us a queue lock/party mode even after the horrible queue changes in last revision). There are a lot of things I don't like about the last version. This version is a little worse but I think with potential to be much better. I'm looking forward to the next changes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Who thinks that the postings don't have Sonos' ear? I was under impression they said they were sending all feedback to the development team.
Who thinks that the postings don't have Sonos' ear? I was under impression they said they were sending all feedback to the development team.

It's a convenient way for them not to face the fact that the real reason the clamoring has calmed down could be people are getting used to the changes and now find them not as bad as they did at first. Thing is, only one side predicted this result, the others predicted furor lasting for months upon months, followed by Sonos' imminent demise as thousands flocked to other systems.

As if those who screamed from the rooftops that they hate the new app would leave in silence without announcing why.

Anybody seen those posts of people actually leaving for a competitor?

Anybody?

Why does it matter to you that others don’t like the app? You have provided many posts explaining your reasoning why they may not like it, and in some cases you may be right. But so what? Explaining away the reasons why people don’t like, doesn’t change the fact that the don’t like it. They, like you have paid their money, and they have a right not to like it. They don’t even have to provide reasons, If they choose. Give them that space and stop trying to change their mind. Pushing the ‘muscle memory’ stick for the nth time doesn’t suddenly make you right and them wrong.

Andrew

It doesn't matter to me. So why in the H-E-double hockey sticks does it matter that I disagree with you? See, if you look back on my posts, originally I merely offered up the possibility that it was familiarity and muscle memory, and called for a rational response to the release by offering feedback instead of hyperbole. It was I who was attacked for that. So stop giving me grief for responding in a similar tone. It was you folks who didn't respect my opinion first, not the other way around. You people set the tone, not me. And you complaining about overblown inflated language when someone on your side described the new app as like an abusive relationship is rich!!! That's right, they described the new app as an abusive relationship, and I'm using overblown language? Criticize that post and I will start to take you seriously.

So to close, if you like, I will post my very first posts on version 8.0 and the responses as proof. But I imagine you aren't going to like. ;)

Oh and by the way, I've paid my money too, and I have just as much a right to express my opinion about the app. Only one person is explicitly calling for people to withhold their opinion and stop posting on the subject, and it isn't me.
Badge
I'm at a loss as to why this glaring farce of an app was ever let through testing..Beta or otherwise. I don't think I've come across any media online where people actually like the new version..Is anyone at Sonos Hq listening to their customer base??
Is anyone at Sonos Hq listening to their customer base??

There is a post from a guy at Sonos HQ on this very page.
I know ... and then we get called fanboys for pointing those kinda things out.

Meh. Getting called a fanboy comes with the territory. It's a lame schoolboy argument, and I chalk it up as points on my side.
I gave the opinion that one's dislike may be partially or even wholly due to very real phenomena, with a historical precedent right here at Sonos. I gave examples of that phenomena in the past, offering proof for my opinion in the form of other's posts and how their pedulum swing change of opinion for the 5.0 app seemingly occurred without a coresponding change in design or function.

And note that when others produced evidence that their opinion of 5.0 has never wavered, I gave them their due. I also stopped picking on specific people, because I really felt bad embarrassing one in particular, and instead posted in general terms when there were many more I could have called out and better supported my point.

For that I was attacked, yet I'm the one intolerant of others opinion? Looks more like I hit too close to home.

As to me not entertaining the notion that Sonos is at fault, I guess you don't recall my scathing analysis of Sonos' performance lately. Figures. Most only read what they want to hear. Guess I should have compared it to an abusive relationship* in order for it to be memorable. But then I'd have to hand in my Fanboy card. :8

* Notice you conveniently snipped the abusive relationship stuff from my post when you quoted. Any comments? 😉
U

So what’s your point? If 10 people come along and say they hate the app and you come along and say hang on guys there is a phenomena at work here — does that mean they were wrong to hate it or that they should now hate it less ? Or maybe, irrespective of the phenomena, their experience of hating it is still very real for them and won’t be changed now matter how many times you use the words muscle memory ??

Andrew

See, I never made that type of judgment. You did. I offered my opinion and brought some amount of evidence to back it up. How other's hate (or lack thereof) is affected by that opinion is on them, not me. The well being of their opinions or feelings is simply not my concern, so I couldn't care less what is "real" or not for them, though it is interesting that my posts seem to strike a giant nerve with some. I will admit to finding it ironic that one so concerned with the validation of others opinions, no matter how out there (abusive relationships anyone?), seems to relish in beating up mine on an almost minute by minute basis. I guess it is easy to pick on the fanboy. 😉
And this is typical of the way you 'communicate' on this forum as andrewmk pointed out a couple of posts ago.. You care so little about what others have to say that you need inflate and exaggerate what they have been posting, just so you can ridicule their point, and that time and time again. Because dissent is clearly not allowed around here.

Amen!

And yet here you are! :8
Sigh.

Yes john, you people, meaning those on the anti 8.0 side. For I have not seen anybody who likes the new release telling John B to shut up.
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Merry Christmas all!!! Christmas tunes are streaming and sounding great on my Play 1 and 2nd Gen Play 5 grouped on the main level. You guys need to lighten up. At the heart of hearts we are just passionate about our music and Sonos.
The new app is terrible, I mimss the old app, I cant control the rooms as easily and I feel like my access to spotify and pandora has become antiquated. This needs to be corrected ASAP!
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Reminder. As jgatie repeatedly says we can post what we want how we want so trying to limit negative posts by saying it's pointless or it needs a reason is pointless.
Reminder. As jgatie repeatedly says we can post what we want how we want so trying to limit negative posts by saying it's pointless or it needs a reason is pointless.

Now pointless posts are being complained about because they complain about pointless posts? Oh Logan, you are contradicting yourself again!
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
All the years of owning Sonos. So you were fine the last time they changed the application to the one we just had - which everyone threw a fit about several years ago? Such drama.

So the poor man posts 4 messages to your 12000 and he is accused of causing a drama. Not a very friendly welcome, is it ?

Andrew
Here is the proof so that those ‘still’ peddaling that that 5.0 was such an awesome release and nothing has changed up to 7.4!!!

Sonos had to make changes due to public backlash. Here is the evidence for the change to 5.3, for those that don’t eat, sleep and breath Sonos all their life and just try and enjoy the products that we all spent a lot of our hard earned cash on:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/sonos-53-app-update-now-live-android-and-ios
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
He didn’t ask
Much for a welcome. Someone coming Her ewithba foul mouth and nothing but say how everything sucks and such a fail and provide no useful comments or information doesn’t make for a real welcome member of the community.

I’ve re-read the post and there is nothing he posted that can be construed as using a ‘foul mouth’. I think you are being very unkind.

Andrew
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
I guess you all juat want to e here to complain amongst yourselves and provide no value to Sonos in making future updates.

This is an open and free community for all users, whether they are happy, sad moaning, groaning, complaining or singing from the rooftops. We are not here to be of value to Sonos or anyone else. You need to lighten up a little — and stop bashing others for having an opinion that doesn’t align with yours.

Andrew
Userlevel 2
Those of you that just want to compliance and give no feedback on how to improve are destined to just be unhappy. I guess you all juat want to e here to complain amongst yourselves and provide no value to Sonos in making future updates. Enjoy yourselves. I chose to continue to express what I would like to see in next and future controllers as to hopefully have my voice heard vs just being a part of the complainer crowd (which don’t seem to get through their heads that version 7 or anything like it will never return).

I have given feedback. The latest design just makes no sense to me, or anyone else I know that has tried to use it. What would you like for me to do, submit wireframes to fix it? What I am saying is that it is fundamentally bad and I don't have any suggestions on how to fix that.

I've said, just roll back to the prior version until this version can be redesigned to be more intuitive. Or give each person the option to roll back or keep the new. That's constructive feedback. Saying that I just have to live with what was given me is not.