Please go back to the last app, the update sucks SO bad!

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

397 replies

Go back to the older menu right before this last one. This one is aweful!!!!! Seriously sonos I have spent a good amount of money on your products and this last update is rediculous!!! And I’m a tech guy!!! Whoever passed this through the gates should be examined not the rest of us sonos users!!!
Userlevel 2
Badge
I received an updated request a few weeks back which I could not find a work around for. It basically forced me to update including register all my SONOS devices. This update has been nothing but a disaster. Now, iPhone can only access my Sonos net approx 50% of the time. To remedy, I am forced to reboot my wireless in order to overcome the problem which is not a practical solution when your wireless is also your business/work access. In addition to this, the user interface is downright atrocious. The previous version was very intuitive and user friendly. Now its a pain in the a$$ to do much of anything. Thank God Sonos has not forced an update for my computer app. The computer app is rock solid. Note: I have 9 separate rooms running a total of 11 SONOS devices. Never a problem prior to the recent update. Now its all a frustrating waste of time and money. How do I go back to the previous version?
We shall see. I know where my money lies. I also predict certain posters will weasel out of their predictions somehow.
I am just hoping Sonos don't listen to some of the dafter suggestions, like moving the tab bar to the top of the screen or re-ordering the buttons. I cannot bear change for change's sake.
I cannot bear change for change's sake.

Welcome to the club! ;)
Perhaps you missed the deliberate irony.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I’m a 4.2 lover here. Many people have dismissed me as them thinking now that the 5.0-7.0 interface was so terrific (they are in denial that no one liked the 5.0 interface when it came out.

I have to say though. I see potential..and I said potential... for the 8.0 interface to be the best ever. Yes it is bad right now. They tried to make it too much like Apple Music and Spotify and not focused on the browsing and multiroom. With tweaks to the tab bar and flow (yes probably a little less white too) this thing can be good. And yes from someone who really liked 4.2 better then that.

Ps. Best interface ever is still the desktop interface (if it had universal search) Tablets in landscape should mimic that view. Landscape view has been bad since 5.0 and I don’t think has ever gotten any better.
Agree with most, this latest update and the changes to the GUI are so tremendously bad I hate using this system now, compared to loving it before. Plus, alarms no longer can be relied upon and seem to work on a periodicity only Sonos seems to know
Userlevel 2
Badge
Same issue here, alarms don't work any more after waking me up successfully for the last 5 years.
Then when you look at the controller first thing in the morning to turn it on manually the white background is blinding.
Sonos don't seem to care about all the negative comments, maybe this is the time to move it on.
The only think going for it it is that the Windows version is still good and works well although it still doesn't fix the Alarm bug.
Is there any way to revert back to the last app before the recent update? This latest update is just plain stupid. I absolutely despise the new app. It is so ugly I removed an android tablet in my kitchen and replaced it with a windows tablet. The app takes more time to get to what you want. For example: got to favorites, show all favorites, pick your media, back out to the tab again, rooms etc.. App is horrible
Userlevel 3
Badge
As an early complainer of the new white, bright UI, I saw there was an update today that supposedly addresses it. While I am away from my Sonos equipment and hence cannot launch the app, I did want to stop in and say thanks for finally getting around to it. I see rooms has been "improved" so once I get home, I'll be able to see it. But, thanks. 🙂
Well, would you like to see where the last version that everyone is now "lavishing praise on" was described with words such as "awful", "unintuitive", "sucks", etc., with people begging to go back to the previous version? Because here it is, all 45 pages of it:

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/don-t-like-the-new-app-v5-0-6177488
I don’t think anyone is asking to roll back to 5.0... they are asking for the last version before the upgrade to 8 which had got progressively better (except for the queue f*ck up, which I believe we are on the same page about), so stop posting irrelevant threads trying to belittle people who have genuine concerns about their product.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Two of the reasons people feel so very strongly about this (and hands up, I am one of them) are firstly that this is not a throw-away app. It is intrinsic to hardware that many have invested very considerable sums of money in. In that respect their grievance is very real. If (and everyone’s experience is valid for them) they feel their product has is in some way impaired by v8, why wouldn’t they be vocal about it?

Secondly, Sonos is sooooo not responsive. They are not their to do our bidding. I wouldn’t expect them to. But it stokes peoples resentment to have dozens of threads and hundreds of messages and only ‘we will pass this on to the team’ in response. Then of course there have been the 5 updates pushed out since 8.0 which appear to have addressed almost none of the feedback.

If sonos were to say something — anything meaningful, well that might quell the discord.

Just saying

Andrew
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Lol, here's one (complete with the melodrama!) that could have been written today:

Sonos came into our homes and stole the elegant, effective, attractive controller we used with our sound systems. In its place we were left with a hideous 'modern' monstrosity which just gets in the way of our interaction with our music. If it were a physical device the police would have been involved days ago, but because it's software you can just do what you like and there's absolutely nothing we can do about it. At best, that's minus several million out of 10 for customer service.

I've attempted to offer quite a lot of constructive feedback in other threads, but even if Sonos condescends to listen to it (and based on some of the feedback from beta testers that looks rather unlikely; seems you heard it ALL during the testing phase) it's going to take quite a while before a customisable app is available. And even then may not address the issues satisfactorily.

In the meantime, YOU HAVE BROKEN MY SOUND SYSTEM. IT'S ABSOLUTELY PAINFUL TO USE AND TO LOOK AT.

So I strongly suggest that Sonos gets its finger out, reconsiders its plans as a matter of urgency and thinks of a good way to roll out the brand new 'Sonos Classic' controller app alongside 5.0.

Remember folks, this about essentially the very same app you are asking to get back today!!

I never said the previous version was any good...it wasn’t....the only version that was any good was the blue single screen version...no version since then has come close to its ease of use and simplicity....sonos decided to change it to make it look trendy.....and in doing so made it more convoluted and complicated...again ..how exactly is it better?..less taps?..no....better layout?.no....more logical?...no.....at least the windows app is still the blue version...untill someone gets around to screwing that one up to..
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
hi Burt, nah I don’t pine for it either. I’m not sentimental about such things, I don’t prefer Windows 3.0 through to Windows 8 over Windows 10. Though I did prefer 7 over 8. Big companies do get it wrong as MS did over Win8.

I just think Sonos has been getting it wrong with their software design for some time. I just think the blue controller got so so much right. It’s all down to personal preference and choice.

Unfortunately (in my perusal opinion) UI design in general is moving away from labelled buttons and obvious layouts to unlabelled chevrons and screens that swipe in from nowhere. Maybe I’m getting old but I don’t see this as intuitive but everyone is doing it so who am I to say?

Andrew
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
You do not need to look far to see that very many people have expressed that the previous version was utter perfection....

So I'm sorry, unless you started off posting about 8.0 by saying "7.4 sucked, but it was better than this", you really have no leg to stand on.

So what's the point? Because some may or not have said this or that about such or such version, suddenly none of the critique is valid?

Sounds like a silly attempt to side step a discussion about the actual merits of the new design.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I never said the previous version was any good...it wasn’t....the only version that was any good was the blue single screen version...no version since then has come close to its ease of use and simplicity....sonos decided to change it to make it look trendy.....and in doing so made it more convoluted and complicated...again ..how exactly is it better?..less taps?..no....better layout?.no....more logical?...no.....at least the windows app is still the blue version...untill someone gets around to screwing that one up to..

You do not need to look far to see that very many people have expressed that the previous version was utter perfection. The post you quoted could have been written about 8.0 vs 5.0, complete with the hyperbole and melodrama. Just this week, there was a poster who likened the shift from 7.4 to 8.0 to a perfect relationship that shifted to abusive overnight. Indeed, this very thread is a plea to return to the former app. The convenient revisionist history that "I never said the previous version was any good...it wasn’t" only showed up after I pointed out the sheer hypocrisy of posters clamoring for a reversal to the previous version that they once hated with the heat of 1000 suns.

So I'm sorry, unless you started off posting about 8.0 by saying "7.4 sucked, but it was better than this", you really have no leg to stand on.

Shrugs i can understand you not looking back at my prevoous posts life’s too short etc...but i have always said nothing is better than the old blue version......all a matter of opinion.....
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
the only version that was any good was the blue single screen version...no version since then has come close to its ease of use and simplicity.

Absolutely hilarious. You can't truly be serious???? That was a good one. Can't stop laughing......

Let's ride around in horse and carriage as well why don't we??? LOL!!!

No stop it ...please...i mean that’s just soo hilarious.....horse and carriage?...please. ..my sides etc....but nice to see it’s not just the people who don’t like the new app resorting to non specific abuse.....if you can provide some evidence of improvemrnt it would be good if only because holding my breath this long is hurting...lol...
Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Shrugs i can understand you not looking back at my prevoous posts life’s too short etc...but i have always said nothing is better than the old blue version......all a matter of opinion.....

Then you are in a distinct minority. Others most certainly praised the former app until they were reminded of their former postings about 5.0. They then backpedaled like crazy.

I am sure you are right...but as i said i didn’t.....back pedal that is...as i didn’t consider them better than blue....so if i am in a minority’s it’s a consistent minority..,lol....
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Jgatie is right. The blue version was fairly universally praised and 5.0 panned just like this one (with people asking to revert back same as this). Now people want 5.0 ui back ( which 5.0 was tweaked and obviously people came to like it if you go by this thread - far cry from the storm of haters back when 5.0 came out).

It really comes down to - people don’t like it changed because they have to relearn. But they eventually adjust and then they like the newer version. I’m not praising the current state of this version as I think is not intuitive in current form. But more of the issue is muscle memory and having to readjust.

I think this new version has potential to be the best with some tweaks. But it needs tweaked a good bit. And of course queue lock added. That would certainly make it my favorite of all time.

Well i am glad to hear its worked for you.....personally i like stuff that works and doesn’t need tweaking to stay the same..untweaked or not in need of tweaking...but can see your point ....alll change is good etc....
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I think as others have suggested they have in to many ways tried to emulate other programs such as apple music and Spotify in order to draw in new users who find it more "familiar". However, it doesn't take long for that "familiarity" to be noticeably lacking when it comes to controlling multi-room.

Honesty I think this new version with some tweaking could work. I like the new navigation bar at the bottom. It unfortunately disappears during now playing and then all confusion breaks loose. There is potential here to be the best version yet.

Yes at the very least a multi room music system should have the room option visible....
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Yes at the very least a multi room music system should have the room option visible....

And the sad thing is that it still is visible. Some 'genius" however decided to reduce that option to room configuration instead of selection. & configuration (as it used to be). Still waiting for a sensible explanation of that stunt.

Honesty I think this new version with some tweaking could work. I like the new navigation bar at the bottom. It unfortunately disappears during now playing and then all confusion breaks loose.

Having the bottom bar always visible won't solve it I think. Room selection may become more accessible, but music selection will still be fragmented and detached from the currently selected room.

The previous app was more of lens on the current selection with functionality on top. And that is much more intuitive for a remote controller than this new model which always starts with getting rid of that lens.
The tab bar always at the bottom will solve 95% of the complaints about navigation from those who would actually drop the act and admit there are some things better about this UI. I'm not sure why separating "My Sonos" (can we just call it "favorites"????) and browsing gets the reaction some have. I know I very rarely go to browse, I'm either in search or favorites. I also have many sources that I normally don't use, but still use occasionally. I don't want a screen of rarely used sources when I only want favorites, and I also don't want that screen if I'm going to search. Same as the Settings and alarms menus being separated; now I don't have to scroll through a dozen source selections just to set an alarm, and that is yet another good thing about the UI.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
The tab bar always at the bottom will solve 95% of the complaints about navigation from those who would actually drop the act and admit there are some things better about this UI.

Well I'm sure that if sonos dropped their self-righteous act and rolled back to the previous version of the app, that would solve 100% of the complaints.

I'm not sure why separating "My Sonos" (can we just call it "favorites"????) and browsing gets the reaction some have. I know I very rarely go to browse, I'm either in search or favorites.

And there are plenty of people who do the exact opposite because their favorites are associated with the services they use. That way, if they are on the road they are still able to access the same songs, playlists and favorites. A single my sonos list suffices in that case to access the occasional radio station.

Same with the alarm. If you have a philips wakeup light, you won't be bothering with setting up a sonos alarm. Might as well get rid of that silly feature.

That others can and do use their sonos almost exactly opposite to you, is something you might want to keep in mind next time you reflect on the quality of the new interface.

That others can and do use their sonos almost exactly opposite to you, is something you might want to keep in mind next time you reflect on the quality of the new interface.

Oh the freaking irony!!!! :8

And I never claimed for my reflections to be anything but my subjective opinion. That others deign themselves able to speak for all users should have no bearing on an assumption that I do the same.