Please go back to the last app, the update sucks SO bad!

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

397 replies

Cross posted from another thread - I made the mistske of telling Google Store to update the Sonos app. Once the app updated it self and all my speakers were upgraded, I found the new UI to be terrible and not have dark backgrounds, among many other issues. I uninstalled the 8.0 app and found an apk mirror for Sonos 7.4, I reverted back to 7.4 for android to get the original, useful UI back that also has the wonderful dark backgrounds and a host of other things. No issues so far... :)

I did the same, how did you get past the start up screen insisting you update?

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same issue here, alarms don't work any more after waking me up successfully for the last 5 years.
Just curious -- what is the alarm issue? All of my alarms are still working under 8.2, and I welcomed the additional duration options.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If your at the startup screen asking you to update you most likely have no choice as it has already stated the sequence in attempting update.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Same issue here, alarms don't work any more after waking me up successfully for the last 5 years.
Just curious -- what is the alarm issue? All of my alarms are still working under 8.2, and I welcomed the additional duration options.

I have an Alarm set on my Bedroom speaker which should stream a radio station from tune-in, set for Mon-Fri
Used to work but hasn't since the last update, going in manually, after my eyes have got used to the blinding background, it plays fine.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have an Alarm set on my Bedroom speaker which should stream a radio station from tune-in, set for Mon-Fri
Used to work but hasn't since the last update, going in manually, after my eyes have got used to the blinding background, it plays fine.

Thanks. I do the same thing and it's working entirely without issue for me.
I guess there might be a couple of things to check if you haven't done so already:
- Delete and recreate the alarm
- Create an alarm that will fire in the next minute or two, and see if it works
- Check that the clock settings are correct (timezone, automatic updates, daylight savings, etc.)
- Check the alarm volume is non-zero
Userlevel 2
Badge
Looks like no one has posted to this issue in 3 days, so here's a bump: the current Sonos app is terrible. Navigation is foolishly cumbersome.
Think of it as a step in the right direction. I suspect that Sonos has more to come, as they continue to iterate on the software. But I also echo your thanks to them 🙂
Looks like no one has posted to this issue in 3 days, so here's a bump: the current Sonos app is terrible. Navigation is foolishly cumbersome.

Nobody has posted because people are over their initial shock, they are learning how to use it, and the furor is dying down. Next, the few nagging points like the tab bar on view always and other things will be fixed, and it will die down even more. Until 3 years from now when everyone is complaining about how the next redesign "sucks so bad" and people are begging to go back to 8.0 because it is "beautiful", "intuitive", and "even my wife and kids could operate it!". 😉
Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Nobody has posted because people are over their initial shock, they are learning how to use it, and the furor is dying down. Next, the few nagging points like the tab bar on view always and other things will be fixed, and it will die down even more. Until 3 years from now when everyone is complaining about how the next redesign "sucks so bad" and people are begging to go back to 8.0 because it is "beautiful", "intuitive", and "even my wife and kids could operate it!". ;)

Hmmmm ...i don’t think getting used to it is really how i would define something that’s not even as good as a previous version never mind better....and you really don’t help your case when you fail to acknowledge that this is only one of many threads on how the laterst version is .err....how can i put this?...less than totally useful?..personally when i see multiple threads lavishing praise on how the latest version is. so perfect so intuitive and so good i will know to check the colour of the moon....
Lol, here's one (complete with the melodrama!) that could have been written today:

Sonos came into our homes and stole the elegant, effective, attractive controller we used with our sound systems. In its place we were left with a hideous 'modern' monstrosity which just gets in the way of our interaction with our music. If it were a physical device the police would have been involved days ago, but because it's software you can just do what you like and there's absolutely nothing we can do about it. At best, that's minus several million out of 10 for customer service.

I've attempted to offer quite a lot of constructive feedback in other threads, but even if Sonos condescends to listen to it (and based on some of the feedback from beta testers that looks rather unlikely; seems you heard it ALL during the testing phase) it's going to take quite a while before a customisable app is available. And even then may not address the issues satisfactorily.

In the meantime, YOU HAVE BROKEN MY SOUND SYSTEM. IT'S ABSOLUTELY PAINFUL TO USE AND TO LOOK AT.

So I strongly suggest that Sonos gets its finger out, reconsiders its plans as a matter of urgency and thinks of a good way to roll out the brand new 'Sonos Classic' controller app alongside 5.0.

Remember folks, this about essentially the very same app you are asking to get back today!!
Jgatie... give it a rest. The last version was worse than the version before, and this version is worse than the last. Just let people have their say. Stick to “sighing” and telling people to turn their systems on and off again if you want to rule the forum (or start your own).

Funny, the only time I've ever heard "The last version was worse than the version before, and this version is worse than the last" is after I called you people out about the above thread. Until then, the last version was utter perfection, and certainly not the "hideous 'modern' monstrosity which just gets in the way of our interaction with our music" as described above.

And I will post what I want, when I want, until the mods tell me to stop. Only one person here is trying to "rule the forum" by dictating what and when people can post. So why don't you give it a rest. Cause we all know three years from now I'll be getting the last laugh on all of you, just like I predicted back when 5.0 came out. 😃
You are rolling out posts from v4.3 which was awesome (blue) to 5 which was shite. Any posts on that change are valid in my eyes. The app got progressively better through to the last version before the upgrade to 8. Not everyone would know about v4.3 and comparing complaints is completely unnecessary. Just let people have their say on the matter especially as so many new people are signing up to this forum to voice their legitimate concerns. You’ve had your say and it is well documented over your many posts.
I repeat: I will post what I want, when I want, until the mods tell me to stop.

You aren't a mod, so I will continue to ignore your plea. I'm sorry that my comparison of the now beloved 5.;0 to the formerly hated 5.0 only validates my stance and invalidates yours, but those are the breaks. Have a nice day!

PS - If 5.0 was originally shite and then evolved into the awesomeness that everyone now wants back, please list the modifications to 5.0 that made it better. They should be easy for you to document, since you are so observant of the evolution of this now wonderful (formerly shite) app, right?

Careful now . . . I actually know what was changed. 😉
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
I really see no need for the hostility in this thread. Don’t take things so seriously guys. There are legitimate concerns with the app. Yes there is a ridiculous amount of exaggeration on how “terrible” the app is but there are concerns which we trust Sonos is looking at.

Let us calm down and have some patience for a comprehensive response from Sonos in terms of adjustments.
Give it a rest JGatie, it is not a competition. We all have access to the Sonos release notes so if you are saying nothing changed from v5.0 to 7.4 (25 releases BTW) then you are making yourself look like a fool and I thought you were an intelligent man.

The release notes say nothing about the changes to the UI except the queue. So quick, tell me what they did to change the 5.0 UI which was horrible into 7.4 that everyone wants? The changes were not as extensive as you think and certainly not what everyone was asking for. They didn't change the color scheme. Now people love it. They didn't change the unused space on the tablet app. Now people think it's great. They didn't change the way you changed rooms or group. Now people love the old way and hate the new. You know what they did? They put the scrobbing bar/track progress back and changed the display of the queue. Also, they displayed album art on searches. Also, put album names below tracks in some places.

Now you explain how those minor changes magically transformed the most hated UI ever (until this one) into one everyone is pining for? I'll be waiting.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
jgatie is correct. The UI version prior to this was fairly universally hated (it wasn't the great version others make it now out to be). Some tweaks to this one and it could eventually be better in my opinion. As a matter of fact I will go out and say with some tweaks this one could definitely be better then previous UI (with some tweaks for sure).

My real gripe - still the unprotected queue - which is what was initiated in previous version not this one.
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
jgatie is correct. The UI version prior to this was fairly universally hated (it wasn't the great version others make it now out to be). Some tweaks to this one and it could eventually be better in my opinion. As a matter of fact I will go out and say with some tweaks this one could definitely be better then previous UI (with some tweaks for sure).

My real gripe - still the unprotected queue - which is what was initiated in previous version not this one.

I agree with you Chris - then only UI change that drove me crazy was those changes made to the queue management - I found everything else positive or at least tolerable. I do agree that there are current changes that are not really improvements but more attempts to produce a familiar interface to new customers who are possible accustomed to the popular streaming services.
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
the only version that was any good was the blue single screen version...no version since then has come close to its ease of use and simplicity.

Absolutely hilarious. You can't truly be serious???? That was a good one. Can't stop laughing......

Let's ride around in horse and carriage as well why don't we??? LOL!!!
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Andrew I do not spend time memorizing version numbers and features like some do in this forum. What I do know is the move from the blue controller was a definite step forward and incredible usable and also more aesthetically pleasing. It introduced universal search as well which was a material step forward at least to me. I cannot pine for the blue controller days....sorry.

Again I agree that things have gotten a bit less straightforward recently from the queue changes to the latest tabbed approach.

I never said the previous version was any good...it wasn’t....the only version that was any good was the blue single screen version...no version since then has come close to its ease of use and simplicity....sonos decided to change it to make it look trendy.....and in doing so made it more convoluted and complicated...again ..how exactly is it better?..less taps?..no....better layout?.no....more logical?...no.....at least the windows app is still the blue version...untill someone gets around to screwing that one up to..

You do not need to look far to see that very many people have expressed that the previous version was utter perfection. The post you quoted could have been written about 8.0 vs 5.0, complete with the hyperbole and melodrama. Just this week, there was a poster who likened the shift from 7.4 to 8.0 to a perfect relationship that shifted to abusive overnight. Indeed, this very thread is a plea to return to the former app. The convenient revisionist history that "I never said the previous version was any good...it wasn’t" only showed up after I pointed out the sheer hypocrisy of posters clamoring for a reversal to the previous version that they once hated with the heat of 1000 suns.

So I'm sorry, unless you started off posting about 8.0 by saying "7.4 sucked, but it was better than this", you really have no leg to stand on.

Shrugs i can understand you not looking back at my prevoous posts life’s too short etc...but i have always said nothing is better than the old blue version......all a matter of opinion.....

Then you are in a distinct minority. Others most certainly praised the former app until they were reminded of their former postings about 5.0. They then backpedaled like crazy.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Jgatie is right. The blue version was fairly universally praised and 5.0 panned just like this one (with people asking to revert back same as this). Now people want 5.0 ui back ( which 5.0 was tweaked and obviously people came to like it if you go by this thread - far cry from the storm of haters back when 5.0 came out).

It really comes down to - people don’t like it changed because they have to relearn. But they eventually adjust and then they like the newer version. I’m not praising the current state of this version as I think is not intuitive in current form. But more of the issue is muscle memory and having to readjust.

I think this new version has potential to be the best with some tweaks. But it needs tweaked a good bit. And of course queue lock added. That would certainly make it my favorite of all time.
Is there any way to revert back to the last app before the recent update? This latest update is just plain stupid.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I think as others have suggested they have in to many ways tried to emulate other programs such as apple music and Spotify in order to draw in new users who find it more "familiar". However, it doesn't take long for that "familiarity" to be noticeably lacking when it comes to controlling multi-room.

Honesty I think this new version with some tweaking could work. I like the new navigation bar at the bottom. It unfortunately disappears during now playing and then all confusion breaks loose. There is potential here to be the best version yet.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Having the nav bar always visible and now playing always visible above it (either full screen or minimized) will always show the current room working with and what is now playing.