Please go back to the last app, the update sucks SO bad!

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

397 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
#1 - they won't roll back - steadfast rule. And makes no sense in that they can't role back new code and features they have invested in new version.

#2 - The My Sonos should be a repository for quick access to playlists etc. in all services. And Sonos playlists are great in that they can incorporate music from multiple different services. However, quick access to existing - like like my my playlists in Apple Music from My Sonos saves steps in going into the Apple Music app.
Double post.
Badge
Totally agree . . .it is really a pain in the a.. 😠
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Lets see what they come up with - then new version is an obvious work in process. At least these days releases are coming fairly quickly (a year or so ago you would have to wait 3-4 months at least for next release).
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
What is it you dislike about the My Sonos section. It hold your Sonos Favorites plus you can add links to your favorites in other services.

I like having my Sonos Playlists handy as they a lot of times compromise music from various services and my home music library. Then its great having section such as my Apple Music Favorites. Which dynamically then stays up to date with all my favorites in the Apple Music app so I don't have to dive into the Apple Music app - my favorites are stored in their own section in the My Sonos section.

I think the My Sonos section has a lot more power then the old Sonos favorites since you can incorporate in sections from other services for quick links.

What more would I want from the section to complain about? (other then fact you can't backup your Sonos favorites but that is nothing unique to this or any other version of Sonos Controller).
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Example: All music I Shazam automatically saves to an Apple Music Shazam playlist. When I decide I want to listen to my Shazaam tracks I could go to Browse..Apple Music..My Music..Playlists..My Shazam Tracks.

Or I can click on My Sonos .. my top section is Apple Music Playlists so all I have to do then is click My Shazam Tracks.

Easy and very useful in My Sonos. Saves me a lot of clicks. Why would I not want this favorites functionality.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm putting my money down on jgatie if we are taking bets!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
also - my network with latest revisions has never had any issue. If people are having issues with their Sonos devices after recent updates they are most likely do to IP Conflicts or other network issues that came to light on reboots. They can be fixed by going through steps to resolve. I have seen no inherint changes in the new version to cause Sonos to behave any differently on a network then the past.

I have permanent fixed IP Addresses on all my network devices and I rarely have any issues with devices after they are updated/rebooted from any vendor.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Wow I just subscribed to Spotify for the first time in years. The new Sonos app is an exact copy of the Spotify app. I mean down to all the behaviors. They went for a copy and now need to tweak it for Sonos multiroom obviously.

Even the little red room menu many complain about is there on Spotify.

Do people complain as much on the Spotify forum?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I've seen them jgatie. But there still here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Thanks for the update Ryan!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I do agree that muscle memory does make the layout worse. Especially as I tend to use my Sonos a lot when people are over at my house ... and let me say after a few drinks that muscle memory mistake thing really kicks in!

🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don't think I ever myself inferred that others silence meant they had adjusted and like the new version. I'm silent a lot about it - that doesn't mean I like the app.

The more that express their critique and criticism and/or praises the better for Sonos to be informed.

I just now stated yea the Muscle Memory thing is real (it is... and yes people do slowly adjust over time). I would be critical in that aspect in that Sonos shouldn't keep going and making drastic changes where people actually have to adjust. I don't let most visitors use my Sonos app any more because of changes Sonos has made in the past year to the app (I used to freely encourage people to use the Sonos app). There are way to many ways to mess up the queue or stop the music in the current version. The last version and the current released version are tailored to an individual playing music (as I noticed it is exactly the same as the Spotify App meant for an individual user) ... in its current form (and past form) it has issues when it comes to multi-user / multi-room. I didn't like the prior version ... I don't like the new version ... but it ain't life or death its a music app.

Most of you guys will probably be happy when they tweek the current version. I know I probably will not because I'm most certain there will still be no queue lock / party mode and I will still limit those who use the app. I think the only thing I have done of recent critical of others was point people who were making multiple threads to this thread - as it is the one Sonos is monitoring and would be of more value vs. clogging up board with multiple threads on same issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I know ... and then we get called fanboys for pointing those kinda things out.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6

It doesn't matter to me. So why in the H-E-double hockey sticks does it matter that I disagree with you?
It was you folks who didn't respect my opinion first......
Oh and by the way, I've paid my money too, and I have just as much a right to express my opinion about the app.

I keep saying it again and again, everyone's experience -- whatever it is, good or bad -- is valid for them. Your experience is valid for you.

So really I don't have an issue with your differing opinion of the app. I've read many dozens of opinions and everyone has a different take on it. I don't challenge their opinion and I don't challenge yours.

The only issue I have with some of your postings is that you seek to explain away other peoples' dislike. You are trying to persuade them that the cause of their dislike lies with them -- that it is all down to muscle memory, and therefore it is the fault of the user. You're almost blind to the possibility that the cause of their dislike may lie with the app.

So you may be right that V8 is better than what came before. I may be right that it isn't. No-one's opinion is wrong. I humbly suggest that by trying to justify the reasons why others dislike the app, you are suggesting their opinions are fundamentally wrong. Or at least you don't entertain the notion that the problem may lie with Sonos and not the users.

Andrew
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
New app sucks and requires far more clicks to change rooms. Its so unintuitive. I greatly preferred the old navigation.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Let’s mention the too much white space having too few rooms per page.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
I gave the opinion that one's dislike may be partially or even wholly due to very real phenomena, with a historical precedent right here at Sonos.

So what’s your point? If 10 people come along and say they hate the app and you come along and say hang on guys there is a phenomena at work here — does that mean they were wrong to hate it or that they should now hate it less ? Or maybe, irrespective of the phenomena, their experience of hating it is still very real for them and won’t be changed now matter how many times you use the words muscle memory ??

Andrew
Amusing that there is so much hate being spewed for an app that, with each iteration, gets closer and closer to the native streaming providers apps. Has anyone bothered to compare this latest version with the apps from Tidal or Spotify? So similar, i feel right at home in any of them...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It is a dead ringer for the current Spotify app. Someone at Sonos obviously believes mirroring what people are familiar with in the native apps is the way to gain more sales. But ..... as a way to control a multiroom, multiuser environment - pretty bad at in current configuration (but not saying it would take much to give that better focus).

There is another thread in the past 24 hours where the user hadn't tried the new app and was saying how he wished the Sonos app were more like Spotify/Google native apps. I let him know his wish has been granted the new version is just like them. Everyone has different opinions - some just express them as their wishes are the only ones that matter.

The fact is the App is a vehicle for Sonos to sell speakers. The more familiar it is to new customers the more they sell. Yes word of mouth from current users is important - they do need to keep current users fairly happy as to recommend them. If Sonos marketing tomorrow decided that Party Mode/Juekbox Mode/Queue lock would sell them more speakers (note: it would) then they would add it tomorrow. But if they feel it would complicate the app (as they obviously do) and turn away new users then they don't.

If they feel that having the application looking more like native apps will sell more speakers vs. loss of good will and word of mouth by a core group of users .. then they will do that.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
Amusing that there is so much hate being spewed for an app that, with each iteration, gets closer and closer to the native streaming providers apps. Has anyone bothered to compare this latest version with the apps from Tidal or Spotify?

Are you saying that the Tidal and Spotify apps are also badly designed? :)

But ..... as a way to control a multiroom, multiuser environment - pretty bad at in current configuration (but not saying it would take much to give that better focus).

Agreed. Room selection and grouping is awkward but could be improved with minor changes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I truly think that keeping the nav bar always visible at the bottom and some esthetic changes (less white, more rooms per page in rooms menu) would make this a darn good version. I really never liked the navigation in the prior version (I did like the simpler navigation in the old blue version). I think I'm going to like this version the best with some needed tweaking. And I do have faith those tweaks are coming sooner than later.

Personally - I have always hated most native app designs. I use Apple music a lot and use it traveling (with Bluetooth speaker) and I really hate it. I always want my familiar Sonos back. I like Sonos being service agnostic. If I have Apple Music now, Spotify next month, Google Play the month following.... it all works the same in sonos. I right now have Spotify, apple music, and amazon music. Its very nice having search results for all in one place and I can play to any room not worrying with what service I'm actually using.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Maybe it would be good for all of us here to point out what things they would like to see in next re-imaging of this version of the application. The old version will never return. Lets focus on making this version the best thing yet vs. just trivial bickering about everyone's feelings.

I will start

My wishes:
1 - more rooms per page in rooms menu (way to much white space and large pictures - need to see as many rooms as possible)

2- nav bar at bottom stays there no matter what. Gives consistent navigation through app.

3- less white everywhere. Need creative use of more black sceens (best would be color customization but sonos hates customization)

4- Party mode/queue lock/jukebox mode. Whatever you call it. Still needed more then ever with changes made earlier this year (I doubt I will ever see this come)

5- Full mode toggle while playing via toslink cable in Playbar (now only full mode available when playing music sources). Should be a toggle like night mode.

6- easy way to quickly add a sub to a room (its not to bad these days but still requires going in room setup menus)

7- Permanent groups / Virtual Rooms - seriously its almost 2018 are we going on our second decade of this request.

Happy Holidays everyone!
Userlevel 1
Someone asked for a post by people moving to other systems.
I have not expanded my Sonos system, the last 4 zones I have put in since 5.x are Chromecast Audio with SMSL amps and various speakers depending on the needs of the zone.
Is it as pretty and compact? No, but the sound is better and it works.

As far as my system issues since the 8.x update I am running all Ubiquiti hardware. I am now testing the system with out the bridge it has run off since 2013.
Yes the bridge was on a different channel, no my spectrum is not crowded. Yes everything is static IP and yes even though it is unnecessary to reboot the AP and USG I did anyway.

Next week for giggles I will reset and hardwire all of my Sonos gear, if the controller keeps dropping the system and lagging then it is good-bye.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Ummmm......

Happy Christmas anyone?

Can’t wait for version 9 so we can do all this again (and, no Jgatie you must resist the temptation to say that you will then be proved right)!! ;)

Andrew