Please go back to the last app, the update sucks SO bad!

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

397 replies

It's easier to post harsh words on with the relative anonymity of a board, much harder to do so when on the phone with someone, although I've certainly been on the receiving end of the occasional rant. And yes, I've always been much more interested in helping those who aren't yelling at me than those who feel that it's their right to yell at me. I think that's human nature.
Chris, next time I will just correct you and not be so harsh.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I’m not here for next time - you guys can just complain amongs yourself if that provides you some comfort. I will move In to helping others here on the forum that actually appreciate my help. And I will enjoy my 8.x when it arrives to fix the current navigation issues (which I have given Sonos my constructive feedback on what I would like to see - and which doesn’t seem to be effecting my life as much as it does those here).
Cross posted from another thread - I made the mistske of telling Google Store to update the Sonos app. Once the app updated it self and all my speakers were upgraded, I found the new UI to be terrible and not have dark backgrounds, among many other issues. I uninstalled the 8.0 app and found an apk mirror for Sonos 7.4, I reverted back to 7.4 for android to get the original, useful UI back that also has the wonderful dark backgrounds and a host of other things. No issues so far... :) I can find dark backgrounds in the new app but that's about it. It's horrible
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Chris I gave this advice to John B weeks ago. Don’t kill yourself beating a dead horse. I read mainly for entertainment now. Will throw in a comment here or there but I have decided to leave the drama queens behind. I say my piece to Sonos in the available fora and I have done my part.
Badge +3
I can only see the ‘next’ track in the playlist - how do I see them all as in v7.4?
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
My phone is main access point for Sonos playlists etc. Had a forced update this morning when adding a new Play1..

How many who have gone back to 7.4 APK have lost a lot of functionality when all hardware is udated to the latest firmware?.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
How many who have gone back to 7.4 APK have lost a lot of functionality when all hardware is udated to the latest firmware?.

I reverted to V7.4 on my Android phone. I lost no functionality that I am aware of. My PC is still running V8 (which doesnt seem to be any different to V7.4 to me) and so I assume that if I did need to access some particular function that was no longer available on my phone then I could just do so from my PC.

Thanks, will give it a go!.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
>in retrospect, spewing hate is not the term that should be used.

That was the only point I was trying to make.

Andrew
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The spewing hate I had referred to is not regarding the critique of the app but toward those that don’t choose to be as hateful in their discussion of a simple music app.

The only thing I have done is suggest people be constructive in providing what they would like in the new app. In return I’m made out to be some fanboy Sonos lover who is trying to keep everyone from their opinion. I’m not having a bad day I’m tired of everyone being so hateful to each other over little details instead of working together to better the app we all happen to care about. I think everyone is acting rather shameful.

And I’m sure it will continue and no one will take pause and actually get to the subject at hand. As to why I’m done with this thread and I’m sure those short timers who will fire on me now but will be gone soon enough and not stick around to help others (because as has been said not hear to help others or help Sonos make the app right).
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Chris

You seem like a perfectly amiable and decent guy and I’m sure we are not going to fall out over this.

Best regards
Andrew
Userlevel 1
OR why not just keep using the PC app - that has stayed the same..... although I bought Sonos so I could use my phone and not PC.....
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Thank you Andrew. I truly do understand what people dislike about the app. I think people like to hold on the hope of 7.x making a return and they don’t want to hear me crushing their false dream. We have been here and done that before. The way forward is tell Sonos what you want in the new app so that feedback gets to developers. I’m trying to be voice of reason but feel I keep getting bullied over that. Obviously all my attempts at that have failed repeatedly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Jgatie. I think Andrew is trying to calm down the reteric. Let’s all take a step back and see if it can continue. Andrew. What do you think would improve the new app the most?
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
I didn’t click the link.

As above jgatie I had only the one point to make. You said you agree with it, so let us both move on, ok.

On that note, it is way past my bedtime, so wishing you all a goodnight (yes, including you Jgatie) from the U.K.

Andrew
Sorry, but I don't buy it. He is what he is.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Have a nice night Andrew. From the US (where the night just began)
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There is nothing wrong with the logic of version 8. In fact it is not much changed from 7.4.

Said no one ever

I agree with John B. 8.0 is clearly a work in progress but it can and will be much better than 7.4. I've been using like everybody else and will be more than happy when they iron out the obvious issues
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
I’ll think on that overnight Chris, and I’ll rejoin the fray tomorrow 🙂 This is exhausting work !!!! :S

Goodnight
Andrew
I didn’t click the link.

As above jgatie I had only the one point to make. You said you agree with it, so let us both move on, ok.

On that note, it is way past my bedtime, so wishing you all a goodnight (yes, including you Jgatie) from the U.K.

Andrew

Nice dodge. As I said, selective outrage at its finest. So here's the quote andrew:

I am so tired of the update that does not work, the music I cannot listen to. The instructions that NASA must have written, (no wait, if they wrote it might actually work). I've built children's toys that were easier than this. WHY, Sonos, WHY? Do you truly not want me to enjoy you? I would ask for my money back if I thought you could handle it. You make me feel as though I am in an abusive relationship. "Just update me, it will all work out! I promise!" But like every dysfunctional relationship, it all comes around in one big circle of suck that has no end, and always results in you being the hurt party, and me, the victim, never seeing justice. I am very close to breaking these chains! Is there a shelter for people like me? Where we can all sit around and feel safe from Sonos who makes us feel stupid? How many times will I update you? (No, really, I want to know, 'cause I ain't got the data for that.) When we first got together, man, life was GOOD! But you keep taking advantage of my gentle soul, and I have nothing left to give. This makes me sad.

Awaiting your comment (or excuses, or dodge). You're up (again)!
Now that is an anti-8.0 post I can agree with!
If you are downloading the old APK, you should note that when your controller app is not the same version as your hardware, you will lose much of the Settings menu. This includes adding/editing Sonos devices, music service management, and adding or updating your music library, Even if all your versions are equal and you never update again, external changes will eventually cause music service support to drop off, such as what happened to folks frozen at version 4.x when the BBC changed codecs, Spotify changed APIs, or Sonos changed authentication security on AWS. Also, if you are frozen at a previous version, even if the version numbers match across the software and hardware, there is no way you can add any new Sonos units to your system without upgrading.

So one may want to assess if losing these functions (and eventually rendering the controller useless) is worth reverting back to an older version of the app. It may just be the case that ripping the band-aid off now is better than later, but that is up to the individual.

Oh yes, WELL worth any loss of Settings menus!!!
I tried to stream an MP3 to a sonos tonight. I can load custom versions of android into hacked phones but I couldnt get this thing to stream a simple mp3 to a sonos via the app. Really bad UX. Cant click to stream a bloody music file.
Userlevel 3
Badge
That’s right. It’s a free advert even. I’m not paid a penny :8

Never would have explored this path if our experience wouldn’t have been so bad over the past couple of months.

But look at the facts, if one is not happy with the current sonos one will never be happy again. Sonos has changed permanently. That’s why I posted. There is no need to stick to sonos and remain hateful.

Alexa may make sense to you but I live in an area where Alexa is not present (yet). And I can understand people wish for voice control, but choosing amazon as first partner is about the worst choice for privacy, sustainability and gouvernace reasons. I never thought sonos’ values would be sync-able to amazons. But again, proof Sonos has changed and will never change back. That’s not their nature, app wise and culture wise.