Why does my Sonos system turn itself on, playing a random song!?

Show first post

157 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

OK, thanks.

And, damn. It’s the kind of thing that would be a whole lot easier to figure out for ourselves if there was any form of accessible event logs.

Not really, as someone who reads [Xbox] diagnostic logs on a daily basis, this level of logging requires serious domain expertise. The PC log I listed is somewhat readable, but it is the exception for this kind of thing in my experience, not the rule. Its actually one of the more readable ETW logs I’ve seen.

I should point out that I have an amount of expertise in the IT monitoring / diagnostics / root cause analysis world and access to some relatively impressive tooling, too…

;)

On an unrelated question, the apps your signature reference - are you allowed to name them here? Always interested in options, particularly if the IOS app restores the ability to play directly from my phone’s music collection...

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I should point out that I have an amount of expertise in the IT monitoring / diagnostics / root cause analysis world and access to some relatively impressive tooling, too…

;)

On an unrelated question, the apps your signature reference - are you allowed to name them here? Always interested in options, particularly if the IOS app restores the ability to play directly from my phone’s music collection...

LOL understood. My apps are listed in my Profile, I get into trouble putting their names in posts. Its ok for me to post other people’s app names, just not my own. It does not do direct play which you asked about, because it could not for the same reason the Sonos app cannot, even if I was to write a ton of code to try. There is no allowed iOS background mode that works for it.

I have exactly the same problem. I think it will be a hell of a problem to see what the exact cause is, given that I have several Google Homes connected and a Homey (device from which you can create automatically iftt's scenarios). 

However, I've never encountered this problem before. I do not have cats and did not give anyone access to my WiFi or spotify. 

I read a lot of the same problems on this forum, but I don't see an actual solution provided besides that it is an external problem. 

Has someone succeeded in solving this issue?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I

Has someone succeeded in solving this issue?

Gather a diagnostic right after it happens, post the number into a fresh thread, and Sonos support can tell you why (or at least the IP address of the offending device). The Spotify app is the most common non-physical cause, based on empirical evidence here.

Sonos, please fix this issue. Aside from this thread, Google shows others having the same trouble across various products, but all with the mobile app.

My specific issue is with a linked TIDAL account playing via the Sonos (Android) app randomly. I’ll submit a diagnostic next time it happens, but you should have plenty of these from others already.

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/randomly-playing-music-in-the-middle-of-the-night-6796580
https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/aug01q/random_music/
https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/bwqhj0/sonos_randomly_turning_on/
https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/why-does-my-sonos-system-turn-itself-on-playing-a-random-song-6809234/index4.html

Had the same thing happen.  We were outside without our phones and the house started thumping some genre I don’t listen tO

I lost the first number .. hopefully this one isn’t too late.  I pressed play on a device a few minutes ago to see if a cat could have pushed it (no). The others have the touch buttons turned off

This has not happened to me, but the Amazon Alexa forum also has similar reports of Alexa randomly saying things when not asked. My view with Alexa (and I don't see that it couldn't also apply to Sonos) is that these are (presumably) both cloud-based systems and they presumably also have bugs. I.e. responses to requests don't also go to the originator, they go to some random client. 

Most previous instances of 'random' play on Sonos have turned out to be caused by pets, Spotify Connect or Alexa. 

Sonos is not a cloud based system.

My Sonos have started playing lullaby-like music at around 8-9 every morning the last week. I have checked and we don’t have any alarms set on the Sonos App nor do we have a cat or any other pet. We have a daughter but she hasn’t been near the speaker or any other smart device. We have WiFi that is password protected and haven’t handed it out to any of our neighbors.

We use Spotify to play music and I ran diagnostics a minute after it happened this morning and got the confirmation number: 1822972322. I checked the Sonos app while the music was playing and I couldn’t see that any music was playing so turned it off via Alexa.

Any idea what might be causing it?

I didn’t have any alarms on Alexa either. Logged off on everythig on spotify.com and changed the password. Haven’t had any new cases the last two days so that hopefully solved it.

Can anybody help ?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Gremlinsky

Thanks for reaching out to the Sonos Community and letting us know about your concern. Apologies for the late response. Let me help you with this.

Upon checking the diagnostic, there are AirPlay and Spotify direct sessions detected in the report. These sessions can be performed directly played from the mobile device or Spotify app to start the playback on Sonos devices without using the Sonos app.

Are there other devices that you're using to stream music on your Sonos speakers?
How often do you experience this with your Sonos devices? Do you have a specific time?

I'd like to recommend that in case you encountered the issue is to submit a diagnostic and let us know the confirmation number for us to check. You can also contact our phone support team to perform real-time troubleshooting to determine what's causing the issue. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be glad to assist you. 

Tonight’s diagnostic : 1646806054

seems to happen about 10 minutes after we’ve turned the tv and PlayStation off following watching Netflix on the PS4. 

the things that are played we haven’t been listening to - no idea what it was tonight but it comes on really loudly - sounded like some sort of documentary. 
In the past we’ve had some U2 playing, some teenage kick (the undertones) - nine of which we’ve been listening to - it starts midway through the songs  

it plays for about 15 seconds really loudly then goes off. 

if it keeps happening I’m afraid I’ll have to return my whole Sonos setup. 

Tonight’s diagnostic : 1401675340

I'm at step 1 with this.  Left the house and came home to music playing.  All devices with Sonos app said nothing playing. There were no ads. This is the strange thing: it was like a Playlist of my favorite stuff.  Some popular stuff, but som relatively obscure.  How does this happen?

And one from today. 
I asked Alexa to play something in the kitchen (which would have played from Spotify) and then moved into the lounge and longed pressed the play button on my lounge speaker to play the music in the kitchen also in the lounge. 
this worked well - but I’ve just had my music interrupted by what sounded like a radio station. It played for about 15 second then went off - the music is now back to playing only from the kitchen. 

id had the tv and switch on about 10 minutes ago - so it does seem there might be a connection here with turning the tv off and then something paying on the Arc after about 10 mins. 

it’s very very odd. 

today’s diagnostic : 804698996

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Gremlinsky

Thanks for updating us and for submitting diagnostic reports. Upon checking,  I'm still seeing AirPlay and Spotify direct sessions in the report that possibly causing this.

Let me suggest the next troubleshooting steps you can do. 

• Sequential reboot to refresh your network and all your Sonos devices connection.
    • Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
    • Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power.
    • Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
    • Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
    • When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.
    • Test playback from and observe Sonos performance.

If it's still doesn't work, you may need to contact our phone support team to look into this. Our phone support has the tools to check what's going on in your system and to remotely access your device to address the issue. 

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns, I'll be glad to assist you. 

Hi there - reset everything as above. 
happened again 10 mins after turning the tv and PlayStation off 

diagnostic : 319272792

This has happened to me in the wee hours of the morn off and on over the past month. 

when checking the Sonos app after , it first showed Spotify as the culprit. So I removed Spotify from my Sonos. 

now it is happening again and it lists Amazon alexa as the source. I disabled my Sonos speaker from being played by my Alexa and it is still happening. 

it is playing music I don’t listen to so I’m wondering if somehow a different Alexa is doing it? I live in an apartment building. 

anyway, here is my diagnostic: 322387237

any help would be great as I’m about to throw the damn thing out the window 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi folks, thanks for reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern. We really appreciate all your time and effort in trying to resolve the issue. If after doing all the steps and the issue is not resolved, it would be best to contact our support team for more in-depth troubleshooting steps. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have further questions or concerns. We are always happy to help out.

Userlevel 2

Hi could someone confirm what triggered my garden zone to start random playing at 4:10 this morning. Much to my families annoyance! This isn’t the first time either but remembered to submit diagnostics

thanks  

Hello,

I'd like to get some insight into what keeps turning on my Beam randomly up to twice a day. Last time it happened was around 10min ago, after I switched my TV off maybe 20min ago. Most of the time the audio suggests that a random tv station is playing, as far as I remember for me it never played music.

Diagnostic code from the incident 10min ago: 508331929

While we wait for a Sonos rep to read that diagnostic, what is the Beam wired to? How is it connected, HDMI ARC, or optical? What is the source when the Beam starts playing, is it a music channel source, or a TV station source?

Experimentally, please try turning TV Autoplay off.  It will be a bit of a nuisance for the duration of the experiment, as you will have to select TV audio manually when you actually want to watch television.

Whether or not that seems to stop it, I would also experiment with TV Autoplay back on and HDMI-CEC disabled in your TV settings.