Why does my Sonos system turn itself on, playing a random song!?

Show first post

157 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi spottihamdi, I'm seeing several play commands coming from a Spotify app. If you've had any friends connected to your system playing Spotify from their app, make sure you play from another service after they leave to disconnect them. This is a good thing to do even if it was just your phone to prevent any accidental plays. Also, it could be something pressing the play button, as I see a few triggers coming from there. If possible, can you send a diagnostic within a few minutes of this happening? That way we know which time stamp to look for.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @tangfj 

The playback was initiated by the Apple Music service, though I cannot tell you by which device - you’d need to check each device logged into the same Apple account.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7

@Corry P thank you for the added context. This makes sense

• Wife is on the phone all day and office is near the sonos system where it can pick up on her voice.
  • The music that played came from “Amazon Music” per the sonos app. We have our sonos system integrated with Amazon music

Now to figure out what the wake word is as I do not recall setting one up.

The wake word for Sonos Voice Control (SVC) is “Hey Sonos”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Same problem. More info please.

diagnostic #: 1587053013

Looks like most of the recent playback commands your system has received are from a Spotify app, I can't say which one though. If you usually use Spotify direct control to play music on Sonos, you can disconnect a previously started session by using the Sonos app to play anything aside from Spotify on the players. This will prevent your phone from randomly starting something due to an errant button press, or maybe swapping to Bluetooth.

I would also love to know what started my Sonos which happened this morning sometime close to 6:10 AM ET.

Diagnostic conf 718617016

@Tmarin, from what I can see on the diagnostic, it looks like someone (or something) pressed the play/pause button on the Master Bedroom device, starting the playback of what was last played. If it wasn't a person, there could have been something pressed against the front of the player, touching the button, or perhaps a pet swatted the front...
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Caught red hand-pawed! Well if you find that you don't use the buttons on the units themselves, under Room Settings you can disable the buttons. Otherwise, you'll have to figure out some other way to prevent the cat from getting to them...
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
If Spotify keeps triggering playback from one of your devices that was connected, the best way to disconnect is to just play something else. All Sonos systems have Internet Radio on them, just play 2 seconds of any station. It'll disconnect the active Spotify Direct Control session, and you won't have to worry about someone else starting up a stream.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The only playback command I see came around that time came from a Samsung S10 phone. Does that timeframe link with anyone leaving the house to go to work or school at that time? I've seen mobile devices that connect to Bluetooth in a car and immediately send a play command, which could trigger the Sonos app to tell the players to play, if it's still on WiFi.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
That's interesting. I haven't heard of that one before. There isn't a Bixby and Sonos integration, so it must be something with the phone hitting "Play" on Sonos when the routine ends. There isn't a direct playback from Deezer to Sonos using their app.
That's a pretty good indicator that the buttons on the device you were running the Sonos App on are being pushed in some way. Either they're sticky, or hitting against something in your pocket, etc.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Looks like the latest play command came in from a Logitech device, or a device with a Logitech wireless MAC address. I hope that helps! The IP address at the time was 192.168.1.134.

I had the same issue occur yesterday morning.  NO alarms set, I was in the shower when it occurred, no one else in the house.  Phone was upside down on my dresser (how I charge it during the night).  It played the next song in my queue (i.e. like it just un-paused the music). 

I told my wife and she stated that on a few occasions she has had to get up in the middle of the night to turn off the music using touch controls.

There is something going on, that needs to be addressed by Sonos.  I suspect it is something to do with Wifi dropping and reconnecting (short drop) and for whatever reason it unpauses music, etc…  

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

There is something going on, that needs to be addressed by Sonos.  I suspect it is something to do with Wifi dropping and reconnecting (short drop) and for whatever reason it unpauses music, etc…  

None of these reports have ever been diagnosed as being a Sonos issue (and certainly not going to be related to connectivity), it is always some kind of external cause (Spotify app, CR200, cats, children, Harmony remote). If you provide a diagnostic ID right after it happens next time, the Sonos techs here can give you a pointer as to the culprit.

As I recall, there was once an IFTTT issue, and also Bluetooth receiver issue causing an auto play when the sending device got in range, kind of like when your car starts up, it auto plays your phone’s content. But as controlav says, to this point, it hasn’t been an issue in Sonos’ software. Always external. 

This happened to me last night for the 2nd or third time. My wife and I were both asleep and no one else was on the WiFi (confirmed via my eero router app). No timers were set. One of three speakers randomly turned on and was playing a random song from Spotify that I haven’t listened to in ~5 years.

I submitted diagnostics this morning: 1215834492

Any suggestions?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

My money is on Spotify Direct, CR200 or cats.

@controlav only ever connected my Spotify and both of us who use it were asleep; don’t have a CR200 or a cat...

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Well then Iwould recommend you unlink Spotify Connect, there is a security exploit apparently that uses it.See this thread: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Other-Partners-Web-Player-etc/Delete-or-quot-unlink-quot-devices-on-spotify-connect/m-p/1722285#M33126

Badge

If Spotify keeps triggering playback from one of your devices that was connected, the best way to disconnect is to just play something else. All Sonos systems have Internet Radio on them, just play 2 seconds of any station. It'll disconnect the active Spotify Direct Control session, and you won't have to worry about someone else starting up a stream.

I’ve had this problem for YEARS. After I listen to spotify i close the spotify app (on laptop or phone) and turn on the TV for a few seconds ,which breaks the spell.  (I’ve used the Radio trick successfully, too! 👍🏻)

Badge

I've just submitted 143 628 7262.. my Sonos play1 just played around 30 seconds of music. The source of the music was my NAS (configured as music library.

The album had been played 2 days (via app on phone) before, it had got to the end and stopped.

None of the phones configured to this house were in use.

Badge

BTW, this is not a one off. It happens every few days. I've submitted multiple diagnostics.

Could something be interfering with the Move, I was grinding coffee at the time and the coffee grinder is sat right next to the Move, the Sonos started to play and the lights on top of the move were flashing white and red (i think). I have submitted a Diag report so hopefully got it in time

Mine has just started doing this - it’s like someone has pressed the start/stop button as it resumes the radio station we normally listen to, except... louder.

So far it’s done it three times:

05:33 on Monday;

05:35 on Friday;

05:37 on Sunday.

I’m struggling to see those times as random, or as times that some external influence would pick.

Yes we do have cats, but after Monday (when I assumed they were the cause) and after reading all the above, I checked on Friday and Sunday and none of them were near the bedroom unit at the time (the only one they can get to overnight); all were fast asleep elsewhere.

No we don’t use Spotify.

Diagnostics 501954724 submitted immediately on Sunday...

On a related note - can I see the Sonos logs data anywhere myself? Is it available to view alongside the other data visible via the controller’s IP address via http?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

On a related note - can I see the Sonos logs data anywhere myself? Is it available to view alongside the other data visible via the controller’s IP address via http?

Basic logs are available on the PC (at C:\ProgramData\SonosV2,_Inc\runtime), but not detailed enough for this type of issue. Those require the UPnP telemetry, which only Sonos support have access to.

Basic logs are available on the PC (at C:\ProgramData\SonosV2,_Inc\runtime), but not detailed enough for this type of issue. Those require the UPnP telemetry, which only Sonos support have access to.

OK, thanks.

And, damn. It’s the kind of thing that would be a whole lot easier to figure out for ourselves if there was any form of accessible event logs.