Why does my Sonos system turn itself on, playing a random song!?

Show first post

157 replies

Yes, although there’s been, I think, a handful or less of alarms from things like Homekit or other similar apps. Not many, I’ll grant you, but a few. 

Also, the cats. Don't forget the cats stepping in the play button.
Ah, yes, good point.

But so far, there’s been no confirmed case of it being an issue with the Sonos system itself.

Note that I said confirmed, it may have happened, but if it did, no one has come back to these boards to confirm it.

This happened to me too. Played a radio channel I never listened to.
Can you see what triggered the music to start playing?

Thanks,

Diagnositcs:

Yeah, I hope it doesn't happen again. I've had my system on the same setup for a couple of years and nothing has ever happened before. I hope Sonos takes this seriously though? It isn't just me. Even if it turns up to be the alarm, I didn't set it. Somebody else did.
Yeah, I hope it doesn't happen again. I've had my system on the same setup for a couple of years and nothing has ever happened before. I hope Sonos takes this seriously though? It isn't just me. Even if it turns up to be the alarm, I didn't set it. Somebody else did.
And this setup isn't a (full) wired one with wireless cards disabled by any chance?
The only cable is power. The rest is wireless.
This is happening to me too!!! And with songs that are totally applicable to my life right now!
What on earth??????
Hi, yeah it sucks. It happened to me again and this time I did a diagnos. The answer I got is that the sonos can only be controlled through the WIFI. So I changed password on the WIFI & router. BUT through Spotify you don’t have to be on the same WIFI. Therefor I can start a song at a friends house from my apartment... But the songs playing was not played by a friend of mine, there must be some kind of malware that does this (my own opinion). The solution was to log out of all devices through Sporifys website and then change password in Spotify. It hasn’t happened again since, hope it stays like that. Next time (IF) I’ll sell the speaker. Good luck!
... And don't purchase any Spotify Connect-enabled speaker again – ever.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Newcomers-and-Contribution/Spotify-Connect-over-the-Internet/td-p/1212959
So it’s the same like 15-20 songs playing. I don’t think it’s from my Spotify. My husband said it could possibly be from his but he is 1.5 hours away with his phone and our laptop is shut down.
So I just need to change Spotify password?
Random!!
So it’s the same like 15-20 songs playing. I don’t think it’s from my Spotify. My husband said it could possibly be from his but he is 1.5 hours away with his phone and our laptop is shut down.
So I just need to change Spotify password?
Random!!

See here. Finally make sure that you and your husband have logged out everywhere.
Same issue. Happened twice just now on our Play1’s. Started two weeks ago and at that time it was in the middle of the night. We use Spotify and checked that no alarm is set in Sonos.

Same issue happened to me in the middle of the night.
Really creepy.

Hey Ryan,

Only my Spotify account is connected to my system so if this was from Spotify it should be coming from my account.

I don't have any pets or anything so it's less likely that the play button on the speaker was pressed unless if a fly can do it.

The diagnostic above was a few minutes after the incident and I was sleeping during that time. So any play action you may have seen in the last one hour period is suspicious. I have manually paused it from my phone when I woke up so that last action is to be expected.

Only my Spotify account is connected to my system .
This is in fact irrelevant. If anyone in your household has allowed anyone else to connect to your wifi and play from their Spotify app using Spotify Connect, then what Ryan describes is possible. It does not involve your Spotify account at all. I have no way of knowing if that has actually happened, obviously
I am quite certain that noone else in my wifi has ever used this speaker. I wonder if you can point me to log files. I might make sense out of different play triggers and timestamps.

I had this happen to me today but I have Apple Music and it started playing music on a grouped pair of sonos ones and a sonos move that were all grouped together previously… it started playing some random strange song on Apple Music at about 1:45am tonight. I submitted diagnostics number 763298157. Can someone please help or look in to this? This has never happened to me before so would like to know what happened!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The diagnostic above was a few minutes after the incident and I was sleeping during that time. So any play action you may have seen in the last one hour period is suspicious. I have manually paused it from my phone when I woke up so that last action is to be expected.
Off of that diagnostic, 20 minutes prior to the diagnostic submission timestamp, a Spotify app told the player to start playing music through Spotify Connect. I can't tell you which account or device sent it, but someone who was on or had been on your wifi used their Spotify app to start playing. Anyone else have the wireless credentials or have been over recently?
I was sleeping during that time..... .I have been known to press all sorts of buttons while dozing off.....
Same issue for me. Super loud music at 2am. I told Alexa to turn it off, which worked for a second then it came back on.

Diagnostic 119473295
Hi there, smun. Thanks for sharing your diagnostic report. It seems this diagnostic report came back incomplete. This usually points to network problems, but before we jump to any conclusions lets see if we can try one more time to catch a full diagnostic report.

Next time this happens, submit another diagnostic report and reply with your new report number. I'll be happy to have another closer look. Thanks!

@Corry P thank you for the added context. This makes sense

• Wife is on the phone all day and office is near the sonos system where it can pick up on her voice.
  • The music that played came from “Amazon Music” per the sonos app. We have our sonos system integrated with Amazon music

Now to figure out what the wake word is as I do not recall setting one up.

My sonos system (playbase and two play:1) just started playing on its own. A song I know and play somewhat routinely through Apple Music. But my phone was laying 30 feet from me, charging , in Do Not Disturb mode.

Diagnostic number: 554270108.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, dr slaw. Thanks for the diagnostics. They showed heavy WiFi interference. This is often the cause of audio playback issues, though this would not account for unwanted playback. Much the opposite, usually it would disrupt playback that you do want. I think it might be best that you get in touch with our support team via telephone. They will be able to help you further. Many thanks, we look forward to hearing from you.
Just experienced the Sonos playing on it own. 12:40am ? - indigo girl, closer to fine.

Woke me up. Any info in the data?

Thanks