Why does my Sonos system turn itself on, playing a random song!?

Show first post

157 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11
This has happened to mine twice overnight, please could someone check 1854147491
Happened to me . My wife was screaming. Like horror music. Any answer sonos?
Since this has never been exposed as an actual Sonos software problem, but a variety of external inputs, from Spotify Connect (is that the name?), to TV's turning on for firmware updates, to alarms not cleared properly, it would be hard for Sonos to answer, without a diagnostic from your system. If they have that, they can see what prompted your Sonos to start playing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Also cats and small children have been identified as causes too, but its most commonly Spotify as Bruce says.
My Beam also starts playing by itself. It happens about half an hour to an hour after we turn of the tv. Not always but more than sometimes.

I never play Spotfiy. I always play songs right of my phone or my NAS. The songs that start playing by themselves are the songs I played the last through my android app.

The two last times:
30/05/2019 round 17u-18u: diagnostics rapport: 956711032
30/05/2019 22u45 diagnostics rapport 1786817551
Hi Ryan,

Thank you for the quick reply!

I'll keep a close eye on it 🙂
I would also love to know what started my Sonos which happened this morning sometime close to 6:10 AM ET.

Diagnostic conf 718617016
Same problem. More info please.

diagnostic #: 1587053013
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Called it. Just sayin'.
I ended up purchasing a cat bed that was heated, so my cat, who loved any heat he could sit on, had a place other than the top of my speakers. 🙂 Then Sonos came out with the ability to turn off the buttons, but by then, my cat was too old to get up on top of the speakers, and liked his heated bed too much.

Same problem. More info please.

diagnostic #: 1587053013
Looks like most of the recent playback commands your system has received are from a Spotify app, I can't say which one though. If you usually use Spotify direct control to play music on Sonos, you can disconnect a previously started session by using the Sonos app to play anything aside from Spotify on the players. This will prevent your phone from randomly starting something due to an errant button press, or maybe swapping to Bluetooth.

I would also love to know what started my Sonos which happened this morning sometime close to 6:10 AM ET.

Diagnostic conf 718617016
@Tmarin, from what I can see on the diagnostic, it looks like someone (or something) pressed the play/pause button on the Master Bedroom device, starting the playback of what was last played. If it wasn't a person, there could have been something pressed against the front of the player, touching the button, or perhaps a pet swatted the front...

@Ryan S So what is my solution if I use Spotify solely to play music?
Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I've had this on my Move (S1).

A random song from Spotify set ours off while everyone was in bed asleep (11.55pm iirc).

Song and Band I'd never heard of before which is even stranger!.

No one has linked to our Spotify apart from my wife and children.

No one else has our WiFi credentials.

Looked at Sonos App and it said "Launched From Spotify" or similar.

So it’s interesting that this topic has been going on for 5+ years and there still is not a “fix” for it. I see that most everyone talks about Spotify being the problem. (We don’t have Spotify) Ours comes on randomly at different times of day/night. One morning there was a very nice, mostly Christian, radio station playing that I really liked so I let it continue playing wishing I knew where it was coming from so I could play it again sometime. Anyway, ours mostly plays TV when it comes on randomly. I will check our TV stations to see if I can find the movie or show it is playing but nothing matches it. I tried calling support within 10 minutes as people mentioned that but the support office listed “is currently closed” and doesn’t open for another 20 minutes. The numbers people place on here must be for another country (I live in the US) as there are not enough numbers for me to dial. Anyone else have TV come on? Have you found a solution other than Spotify? We don’t have alarms set on Sonos. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help!

Likely a Spotify connect session, then. Perhaps “butt dialed” without actual intent.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
A small charge of C4 and a sensitive trigger should break the cat of that bad habit at the cost of only a few speakers.

Or... Wipe the Cheetos off your fingers before adjusting the Sonos! 🙂
One of my Sonos Play 1 plays at random times night and day by its self. Same song from same Spotify playlist

Diagnostic number is 1439363373

been going on now daily for over 3 weeks.

Thanks
One of my Sonos Play 1 plays at random times night and day by its self. Same song from same Spotify playlist

Diagnostic number is 1439363373

been going on now daily for over 3 weeks.

Thanks

Has an outside person used their Spotify app to play to your system recently? If so, they are still connected and can be triggering the mystery track. To disconnect them, clear the playlist from the queue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@laurileincecini the most recent command on that diagnostic to play music came in around 13:46 UTC on the 7th. And that command came from your Android phone. Other than that, I don't see any other play commands in the log for the last day or so. If you can get a diagnostic right after it starts playing, that's best.

If you have something else in your Queue, does it still load and play that same Spotify playlist? If so, I wonder if this could be some smart home integration acting up. Do you happen to have IFTTT or something along that front connected with your system?

Also, as jgatie said, this could be Spotify direct control acting up, so I'd recommend playing a radio station and then stopping it before you wander off. That'll disconnect any Spotify direct control sessions.
HI, we have the same issue with our system. Seems to be routinely starting at same time most days 8:23 am.
2-3 users with Spotify linked accounts. No alarms are activated although ee have used them in the past.
Is it a Spotify alarm setting?
Aalthough when it is playing it shows Deezer logo above the track name. (We sometimes use Deezer within the Sonos app). Diagnostic 2111556366
Ryan, Thanks for the awesomely fast feedback. That sounds like it could be a cause. But the Samsung S10 is my phone and I was not leaving the property in any of those occasions - I do have a car that auto starts playback (on Deezer) as it is turned on and there is (spotty) wi-fi coverage where the car is parked. But again on the 3 occasions I have witnessed the issue that car has not been started/on at that time.

But its a good lead. I'll keep an eye on the different issues and see if I can find the root cause. Presumably the Sonos app needs to be running for this to occur - (the Deezer app has no ability to cast to Sonos - right?)
Cheers Stuart
But its a good lead. I'll keep an eye on the different issues and see if I can find the root cause. Presumably the Sonos app needs to be running for this to occur - (the Deezer app has no ability to cast to Sonos - right?)
Cheers Stuart

Okay so, this morning Sonos was not "running" on my S10. At 8:23am, again the Sonos turned on. 555753932.
Interestingly, although I didn't have the app open, the "always on" screen on the S10 did show track information on what was playing on the Sonos - maybe that has something to do with it?.

Aha. I just found it! I have a bixby routine that runs from 4:50am to 8:22am each morning (doing various things including playing music via headphones on deezer). Looks like the turning "off" of that may trigger sonos - somehow. But the timing 8:22 to 8:23 seems too precise.

Any hints on how to de-trigger the sonos auto-start? As a start I have tried turning off the deezer music.
My Sonos starts playing spontaneously when my phone (Galaxy S10) connects to my wifi as I drive into the garage while Google Play music is connected to Bluetooth in my car. This happens even when Sonos app is closed.
I've played with the settings but can't get this figured out. I think I'll have to uninstall Sonos from my phone and use another device to control Sonos.
Highly annoying!
Hey Rudy_1

The feature that is affecting you is the auto-transfer of a music stream. Same thing will happen in reverse if you are listening to a podcast on bluetooth when you get into the car. The phone seeks 'available audio services' to try and continue your audio experience.

I don't know if it can be turned off. But a quick fix may be to turn off the entertainment system in your car before you turn the engine off. That should stop the audio-stream and thus the transfer to the Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@Rudy_1 Check if the settings here will work, it's a little old, but may do the trick.
Same thing has happened to me twice today. No one else in my house. No one else who has ever used my Sonos network is playing anything. No alarms. Phone locked and not in my hands when it started. No cats or any other animal near any of my pieces. In my case, it’s Amazon. Didn’t think to look the issue up until quite awhile into the second play. Spooky.