Answered

Disable Sonos One Alexa from playing a sound when I say "Alexa"

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

313 replies

I looked under every single entry on the app and none of them had the option except for my Dots. But I was able to see the option when I went to the website. There are different options available on the website than on the app. But regardless, I was able to turn it off online. Thank God I will stop hearing those incessant beeps.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
Follow-Up mode can be disabled for any individual device in the Alexa app under Settings. As there are two entries for each Sonos One, be sure to choose the Alexa device, not the speaker.
Ever since the follow-up feature was added, the Sonos continues to beep after you give a command and it's listening for a follow-up. And the worst thing? The follow-up feature was automatically turned on and there's no way to turn it off for the Sonos! ARGH!!!!!!!
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
we do not know if Amazon limits Sonos here.

Not entirely true. We do know that Amazon requires Alexa-enabled devices to provide notification when Alexa is listening. What we do not know, is what Amazon considers an adequate level or form of notification. It is also clear that the partnership between Sonos (and other manufacturers of Alexa-enabled devices) is not an equal one, with Amazon dictating what Sonos can and cannot do with Alexa. For example, up until recently, Amazon required that all Alexa-enabled devices only use "Alexa" as a wake word, just an example of how determined Amazon is to control its brand.

The wake-up sound on the Sonos One is the same one that Amazon uses on it's own Echo Devices, except that the sound on those devices is disabled by default. All any of us are asking is to have the same option on the Sonos One, because we all agree that the current sound is annoying, clunky and overkill for its intended purpose. (BTW, my previous comment notwithstanding, I doubt Sonos could use a different sound if it wanted to do so.)

Along the lines of what Chris has said, the way the partnership is with Amazon, Sonos can't make quick, unilateral changes. I'm optimistic enough to think a change to the wake sound is coming, but I don't know that it will happen as quickly as any of us would like.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There have been no alexa updates yet since the initial roll out. I would assume at some point we are going to get an update to the alexa integration that will have a lot of changes (hopefully the ability to disable the tone being one of them).

I assume the way the partnership is with Amazon they can't just role out changes week to week.
Badge +1
This topic is 4 month old ,still no help from Sonos 😕 . I like Sonos sound , I was on the edge to order one more unit , but since Alexa integration is half baked i think i will stick with Bose -Echo bluetooth option.
Userlevel 1
There is now a "Brief Mode" available that limits Alexa's response to commands to an innocuous chime, which varies slightly for command success or failure. If Amazon won't allow Sonos to remove the wake-up sound, at least they could allow it to be something similarly less loud, clunky and intrusive.

we do not know if Amazon limits Sonos here.

All we now is there is a stupid sound that needs to be removed ASAP

Like others said..... i still have 25 days to return the ONE to Bestbuy Will do so...and keep my 49$ DOT
Userlevel 1
Seriously.... WTF SONOS
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
There is now a "Brief Mode" available that limits Alexa's response to commands to an innocuous chime, which varies slightly for command success or failure. If Amazon won't allow Sonos to remove the wake-up sound, at least they could allow it to be something similarly less loud, clunky and intrusive.
Badge +1
+1 ... Most irritating things for me ..wake sound and Alexa "ok" response .Please give us option to disable or lower volume ...anything.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
I just picked up a Sonos One yesterday and wish I had known about this issue before I did. The BOOP is very annoying. I have the One in our ensuite and I am sure the BOOP would wake up my wife if I tried using Alexa in the morning. If the BOOP doesn't wake her, then Alexa's screaming voice, for which there is no volume control, would, but that's a separate issue.

Please fix this!
|
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Any further updates on this from Sonos or are the developers busy working on something else that they choose to prioritise over the single biggest complaint about the Sonos one?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
[

Your axe is down to a nub because of all your off-topic posts about the CR-100. No need to pimp your cause, lest those of us who originally had great sympathy start to lose it due to your annoyances.

Sorry! 😳

Wow - 4 months not to do this very simple software change, I am sure everyone who took time out to post on this thread is pleased that you are still on the case. :P

I guess Sonos is just as good at turning a deaf ear to new users as to the early adopters (check out the "SAVE THE CR100" thread!). - Well that is my axe well and truly ground!

Your axe is down to a nub because of all your off-topic posts about the CR-100. No need to pimp your cause, lest those of us who originally had great sympathy start to lose it due to your annoyances.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Thanks for the continued feedback everyone! The suggestion list for Alexa changes and requests isn't a short list, but I'm making sure to keep the most active discussions here in front of the team that's working on them. I don't have any specifics today to let you in on regarding turning off the "boop". You'll see some improvements to ducking and some other things soon though, so stay tuned. And you might have noticed that Deezer was added today!

Wow - 4 months not to do this very simple software change, I am sure everyone who took time out to post on this thread is pleased that you are still on the case. :P

I guess Sonos is just as good at turning a deaf ear to new users as to the early adopters (check out the "SAVE THE CR100" thread!). - Well that is my axe well and truly ground!
The inability to disable the tone and the volume of the subsequent voice responses - which is significantly louder than the actual music/radio volume - are why we are returning the Sonos One and going back to our Echo. It's ridiculous that this hasn't been fixed yet.

Long time Sonos user and have never had a product I was disappointed in until this! Please listen to everyone on her and at least give an update on when this will be fixed!!

They must not think it's"broken" or I'd guess it would have been fixed months ago. I'm returning my units to the retailer. From what I've heard, others are too. From a sellers perspective, I can't imagine selling these things to an end user and having to put up with the shipping to customer, RMA, return shipping and then dealing with whatever Sonos' procedure is for getting credit for "defective" units.
Can this issue please be addressed! Just purchased the Sonos ONE set and there’s no way I can keep the Alexa functionality on without being able to control the obnoxious chime and ability to turn her voice down. These products are no different than a Play 1 without fixing this issue.

Long time Sonos user and have never had a product I was disappointed in until this! Please listen to everyone on her and at least give an update on when this will be fixed!!
Adding my voice to those calling for this. I have been with Sonos from the beginning (so long that I bought my Sonos One with the credit from my discontinued controller) and the inability to turn off the noise has my wife asking me to unplug the new device.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
The excuse given 4 months ago was:

"Since the Sonos One doesn't have the light ring that you might find on the Echo Dot, the tone was enabled so that you know when the Sonos One heard you and when it's communicating with the cloud."

I mean if only there was something like an LED built into the top of the unit that was able to light up green, orange or white.

If only it wasn't such a huge and ambitious technical ask for an LED to cycle through those colours to give a visual indication like on the echo devices.... :8
If only I read these threads before I went out after much persuasion by my wife and bought 2 ones. I already have 5 play 1’s and a connect. That chime is annoying and the dev’s need to get on and fix it a bit quick please otherwise I’ll be going back old school.
I'd like to add my agreement about the pointless response tone.
Also, I've just spent the best part of 5 hours trying to get Alexa to play my iTunes library which is located on my NAS. Tried it with Plex and MyMedia and the result is the same. She says "playing X" and then silence. I can play the music from the app, but that's not why I bought it! (I was specifically told by a Sonos rep in a web chat that this was easily implemented, but there are hundreds of people having the same issue.
Not happy.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
Ugh ... just realized the issue is even worse when you enable Alexa's new Follow-Up mode. You not only hear the Wake Sound when you say Alexa, you hear it AGAIN after she acknowledges your initial command and waits for another.

Ryan, I'm a big supporter, but your continuing platitudes on this issue are rapidly wearing thin.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Thanks for the continued feedback everyone! The suggestion list for Alexa changes and requests isn't a short list, but I'm making sure to keep the most active discussions here in front of the team that's working on them. I don't have any specifics today to let you in on regarding turning off the "boop". You'll see some improvements to ducking and some other things soon though, so stay tuned. And you might have noticed that Deezer was added today!

So they are concentrating on items like Deezer and ducking, whilst the single most complained about issue goes unresolved.

Do your developers actually talk to people who are customer facing or do they just get up in a morning and start doing what THEY want to see rather than the customer.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
This wake tone is bow causing me real problems in using the Sonos one with Alexa.

Our kitchen has a fair echo in it being large and fully tiled, if you don't wait for the wake tone to go silent before making a request to Alexa then she mishears about 50% of instructions given. This means we can't speak fluently to the Sonos one in the kitchen like we do to the rest of the Alexa devices in the house.

Whoever designed this product with the wake tone has clearly done about zero real world tests. There is a flashing light on the top of the device with the ability to change colour, so why not just use this instead of the stupid wake tone.

I have several play 1's around the home and many with echo dots in the same room. My intention of replacing these with a single play one in each room simply will not happen until Sonos sort out this stupid wake tone.

Sonos are very quickly going to lose out on the whole house audio market to the likes of Google or Amazon themselves if they don't start acting a bit more swiftly to resolve issues such as this which are drawing criticism from many owners. How many months is it now that people have been complaining about this, and whats been done? Nothing.