Answered

Disable Sonos One Alexa from playing a sound when I say "Alexa"

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

313 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the continued feedback everyone! The suggestion list for Alexa changes and requests isn't a short list, but I'm making sure to keep the most active discussions here in front of the team that's working on them. I don't have any specifics today to let you in on regarding turning off the "boop". You'll see some improvements to ducking and some other things soon though, so stay tuned. And you might have noticed that Deezer was added today!
That tone is so incredibly annoying! How can we make it stop? My other Echo devices don't do that and Google's don't either...argh. Help. Please. Sonos.
PLEASE allow us to disable the tone. I won't buy another Sonos until this issue is resolved because it's too annoying.
Dityo on what others are saying. I have multiple play 1 and 5 as well as 3 echo's. I just unboxed a pair of the new alexa 1's. They will be going back since Sonos doesn't seem to care about fixing this major issue/problem.
How annoying when the Sonos has to make a noise from the kitchen when I’m talking to the echo in the living room.

Ryan, you stepped up to the plate - we need you to go to bat for us.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
The tone may be a dealbreaker for me. My daughter’s name is Alexis so we’ve been using “computer” as the wake work on our echo devices.

I know we can’t change the wake word on Sonos, so at least allow us to disable the bong! Now with my new Sonos One in the room it’s “bonging” constantly when I’m talking to my daughter.

“Alexis (BONG) what do you want for breakfast?”

“Did you finish your homework Alexis (BONG)?”

Aaaargh!!! Fatal flaw in an otherwise great product. At this point I’m thinking of just returning it to Best Buy and getting a better BT speaker for my Dot.

This is hilarious, I have a friend named Alexia and it happens all time when she's at home. I think I need to change friends xD

Speaking seriously, I think that Amazon needs to leave the community to change the wake up word for Alexa, also to third party like Sonos.
Userlevel 1
Could I recommend something to the Sonos developers, which I guess is something that just hasn't been done, take a Sonos One speaker home with you and set it up in the bedroom.

Then do the following:

1) Listen to some music at a reasonable volume during the day
2) Once it comes to bed time, the room is dark and you are in bed and thinking about sleep, try using Alexa

It will become immediately obvious what the problem is and why this is now a 5 page long thread. It certainly seems like nobody has tested this speaker in a real life situation.
Bought two Sonos ones today, really happy with them so far until I started to watch TV. This sound has happened several times in the space of only a few hour! I'm glad it is listening but very dissatisfied with hearing this sound and knowing it can't be turned off. Seems like such a basic thing the Sonos should be able to do. Please add an option asap.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
Mine even beeps randomly during the day as if I’ve said ‘Alexa’ but I haven’t. It’s hearing Alexa when similar words are spoken on the television and it’s bloody annoying!
I agree with this, that tone is very annoying and i feel like I’m being interrupted every time i try to give an Alexa command
+1 for this from me too. I’ve just bought a pair of these and having being a year long user of the Alexa services before - it’s making it very hard to like the experience. Ive always felt one of the great advantages I feel of the voice UI on the Echo vs other voice assistants is there is no tone that interrupts your naturally spoken request. With the tone at whatever volume the speaker is set at, sadly it’s like being rudely cut off each time you try and make a request.
Userlevel 1
Thanks for sharing everyone! @curlyel, there isn't currently a change in status for the request that I can share. There's a lot that the team is working on but I can't speak to the tone specifically right now. We do make sure that the team knows how many people are asking for what features so they know which ones are the highest in demand.

I'll be sure to let you know when I hear anything new that can be shared.

Hi it's been another month since your last update, can you share anything more? I've no idea what is going on with the sound but it's suddenly on my Sonos one jumped in volume massively, it's now even more horribly invasive than it was when I originally commented on the thread.

I've completely turned off the Alex integration on one of my speakers because I can't stand it, surely there should be something else you can share?
I'm also adding my voice to this thread to allow us to disable the tone...

I have 2 x Sonos One in stereo configuration in my bedroom. The tone hampers with natural voice communication with alexa, disrupts the command and is way too loud for discreet use when my wife is sleeping. It also alerts in an unsynchronized double-tone in stereo configuration.

This is a deal-breaker and absent a substantive response from Sonos, I will be returning the two Sonos one units and the additional two I have yet to configure within the next few weeks and switching to another speaker setup configured to alexa dots.
The tone may be a dealbreaker for me. My daughter’s name is Alexis so we’ve been using “computer” as the wake work on our echo devices.

I know we can’t change the wake word on Sonos, so at least allow us to disable the bong! Now with my new Sonos One in the room it’s “bonging” constantly when I’m talking to my daughter.

“Alexis (BONG) what do you want for breakfast?”

“Did you finish your homework Alexis (BONG)?”

Aaaargh!!! Fatal flaw in an otherwise great product. At this point I’m thinking of just returning it to Best Buy and getting a better BT speaker for my Dot.
Badge
Add my name to the list. I finally bought a Play One to see how the integrated experience would be. I was already aware that some features (like calling and intercom) were not currently available. Didn’t see this coming though.

I don’t think we will get used to it and it is annoying that it is different than all our other Alexa devices. Probably will just disable the Alexa features and will hold off on buying any more Ones until this is resolved.

I still have faith in sonos and expect they will resolve this as soon as they can.
Userlevel 1
Thanks for sharing everyone! @curlyel, there isn't currently a change in status for the request that I can share. There's a lot that the team is working on but I can't speak to the tone specifically right now. We do make sure that the team knows how many people are asking for what features so they know which ones are the highest in demand.

I'll be sure to let you know when I hear anything new that can be shared.

What a worthless corporate bullshit response. Do something.

No more Sonos for me until this is fixed. I'm actually upset that I gave away my $30 dot thinking this would easily replace it. Boy was I wrong...

Reading through all these similar requests and the length of time it's taken your company to do nothing to even suggest you're working on a fix is asinine.

A dot functions better than your product. Think about that...
Userlevel 1
Please disable this annoying beep. Not only does it fluctuate with the last set volume, it interferes with my ability to say the command because the Sonos hears the beep instead of me.

This should be a quick fix and I can't believe it hasn't been corrected yet.

Come on!!! Hi Ryan S have you already heard back from the team? Very curious to understand expected timeline to implement. Does not seem to be a very big change but more/less a small software update isn't it?
There isn't any official word yet, but I'll let you know if there's anything to share. We'll make sure the team knows the level of interest that we're hearing from you all too.

Still waiting...
Userlevel 1
Please disable this annoying beep. Not only does it fluctuate with the last set volume, it interferes with my ability to say the command because the Sonos hears the beep instead of me.

This should be a quick fix and I can't believe it hasn't been corrected yet.

Come on!!!
Totally agree. Remove or at the very least lower volume of wake sound!
I agree but would prefer if you would enable the same options as for Echo, namely (a) to disable all response tones, (b) to enable Acknowledgement that Alexa awoke and is ready for a command--the way it is now, or c) response tone to indicate that Alexa heard and is processing the command (which is the way I had my echo set).
Absolutely gutted. Just being staying at a friend's house and loved the play 1 / echo for user experience. Thought I was really smug setting up my house with 7 of the new integrated Alexa sonos ones. Not only is the response sound annoying (particularly unecessary and irritating when jus skipping tracks) but you can't speak fluidly to it anymore. These are going straight back to John Lewis tomorrow. Ridiculous.
Userlevel 1
My first post here. Please enable option to disable wake chime. Also, please be more responsive to customers. There’s few things that savvy consumers hate more than fake customer service that exists to temporarily placate rather than actually solve issues.
+1 Please allow to disable wake chime!
I just simply cannot believe you all did this! How absolutely terrible and antiquated feature! I am actually going to return this device to Best Buy and go back to a PLAY:1 and echo dot combo which I wanted to clean up with this new and great device. FAIL!
Adding to the chorus. Allow us to disable the sound.

Also - Sonos is playing the sound from the TV. Look at the waveform from the TV and stop responding on the One when the TV says something that sounds even a tiny bit like 'Alexa' - which is then compounded by the fact that Sonos plays the Alexa prompt and dims the TV volume. Doubly annoying.