Answered

Disable Sonos One Alexa from playing a sound when I say "Alexa"

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

313 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Is there any issue tracker or similar where we can subscribe for updates? or any way to get notified when it's possible? I really want this facility, I chose to get a sonos with Alexa built in to have a single device, but partly wishing I'd bought an echo dot and then a play:1 speaker separately as I'd have been able to do this :(

There isn't an issue tracker, but if this becomes an option I'll make sure to post in this thread to let everyone know. You can subscribe to this thread for notification.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Yes please, give us the option. I have had a one since day one but damn lately it’s becoming irritating!!!
I was gifted a Sonos One in addition to an Echo already own. After being told the Sonos One would be a superior listening experience to the Echo, I had great hopes. The listening experience is superior until I make a request of Alexa at which point my music experience is interrupted with the activation tone. I was sure no manufacturer would make a speaker with software requiring a noise be interjected into the listening experience without an option to disable the tone, obviously I must be at fault for not finding the correct toggle. My search led me here.

Please create an option to disable the noisy tone. If, for some reason, I need a visual indicator, the One has lights on top. It really doesn’t need the audio redundancy.
Userlevel 2
Badge
This really needs to be disabled. The tone is so loud it makes me think twice about using voice control. It’s actually laughable.
Absolutely agree. It’s most annoying when it mistakenly hears the wake word (often with three screaming young children) and you aren’t even trying to speak to it. My wife thinks it just randomly beeps and it must be broken. Option to change please.
Userlevel 1
Ryan, it's been a month since you took this request to your team - what is the latest? I've just hooked up my new Sonos system and find this "feature" so annoying that I'm wondering whether to return my Ones or wait for a fix?
There isn't a status change on this one at this time. I can't say one way or the other if it'll happen, but I'll make sure to keep asking for you all. If there's any word to share I'll let you know.

Is there any issue tracker or similar where we can subscribe for updates? or any way to get notified when it's possible? I really want this facility, I chose to get a sonos with Alexa built in to have a single device, but partly wishing I'd bought an echo dot and then a play:1 speaker separately as I'd have been able to do this 😞
Userlevel 1
Ditto, really need this please, we have the Sonos one in the bedroom and voice control is really useful but we have a baby in with us and it disturbs him!
Badge
Another one that get my vote
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can always disable the skill on the other sonos speakers in your house so that only the ones you want voice control on duck in sound.

Sonos has said what they want is the ability to make a default speaker for each Echo unit so that only the default speaker ducks (and also then plays without having to say room name). We don't know where they are with Amazon in being able to do this - but that they have said is the plan in getting the ducking issue resolved.
Hugely irritating and unnecessary noise, likewise am considering returning my Sonos one for this single reason (oh and that Alexa can’t play tidal either and seems intent on selling me amazon subscriptions).
I'm posting to agree with the others. I just set up my sonos one to add to my other Echo products. The tone is disruptive and annoying. The echo and google assistant don't make that sound and work fine for me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Ryan, it's been a month since you took this request to your team - what is the latest? I've just hooked up my new Sonos system and find this "feature" so annoying that I'm wondering whether to return my Ones or wait for a fix?
There isn't a status change on this one at this time. I can't say one way or the other if it'll happen, but I'll make sure to keep asking for you all. If there's any word to share I'll let you know.
Please give us the option to disable the tone! It’s very annoying.
Ditto-- really disruptive.
Adding another voice to the thread suggesting an option to either disable the Alexa tone on the Sonos One or control it’s volume. The tone is disruptive when interacting with Alexa when compared to using an actual echo device and makes this a less appealing product as a result.
Another vote for this feature request here. Having the One play a sound while I'm speaking is off-putting and makes me think Alexa won’t have heard me properly.
Oh God, yes. Turn it off.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Ryan S have you already heard back from the team? Very curious to understand expected timeline to implement. Does not seem to be a very big change but more/less a small software update isn't it?
There isn't any official word yet, but I'll let you know if there's anything to share. We'll make sure the team knows the level of interest that we're hearing from you all too.
+1 on this. SO annoying and doesn’t mimic any of the other Alexa devices’ behavior.
Userlevel 1
This is a must feature, please implement it. Also, my Play One will be heading back to Sonos soon, unless it will also become possible to pair with my three, soon to be four Echo units. Having an option to play 'Everywhere' has to include the room my Sonos One is in.
Userlevel 1
Since the Sonos One doesn't have the light ring that you might find on the Echo Dot, the tone was enabled so that you know when the Sonos One heard you and when it's communicating with the cloud. There isn't a way to turn that off, but I'll pass on your request to the team for you.

Thanks for reaching out!

Make the top light come on. The request prompt is unnecessary...or give US the ability to decide by making the tone an option.
Userlevel 1
+1 This should be an easy option to implement in the software. Please give users the option to hear the request sound, which, I feel, is loud, annoying, and unnecessary. I just got a Sonos One yesterday and am seriously considering returning it and switching back to my new Echo.
Userlevel 1
+1 from me too. There's two problems with the tone:

1. The echos generally don't make a tone (or sometimes make a very soft tone), so it's frustrating to have a different speaking "syntax" in a household where you have some Sonos Ones and some Echos.

2. The beep is so loud that you can't speak naturally but instead have to pause after "Alexa" otherwise it will miss the beginning of the command.
Userlevel 1
Hi Ryan S have you already heard back from the team? Very curious to understand expected timeline to implement. Does not seem to be a very big change but more/less a small software update isn't it?